Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
So, I grew up in the Bay Area until 2003, I was born 1990, therefore I was about 3 years old when this happened. I have no idea how I ended up there, it was some sort of party(I have good parents and I'm not the only one who says so) and ended up taking a sip of fruit punch that was laced with something. I thought it was ever-clear, because my friend Evan in high school said its the strongest alcohol, and apparently I got drunk. There were people in white robes, I recall one of them had a tinfoil hat. The idea was that to get to heaven, one must go "up." Therefore, try to get to heaven right when the spaceship is by Haley's comet. I have no idea if anyone got to the landing zone. It was a lot of really old people. Like, 50s to 80s. There was James, Jonathan, Carl, David, I remember a woman's name but it went out of mind.

I actually read a thread in GBS about this once, where someone found the website for it. The people who survived(2 of them besides myself[I'm a technicality]) were there to give news of the now alien friend's of theirs to earthlings, hoping to rely on the "information superhighway" to be good enough to function with whatever technology the mothership had on board. The high priest took out a large slug(apparently it had "golopogean gigantism") hoping it would appeal to whatever race lived in space, and covertly hoped that the antenna would function as a "biological TV signal" to beam a broadcast down on earth.

Actually, all I ever see from the website is "they're waiting for you." I likely see the same rainbows and eye as everyone else on a literal level, but I get chills often and I think it's related.

Apparently people have been absolutely CONFOUNDED by this. I'm going to bring it up, and even curse; I have no loving idea what other "cults" are about, they make no sense.

This one at least makes sense, in that I understand it is stupid. Yes, the entire idea is to repent, die, and try to enter a spaceship on the way up to heaven.

just bob fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

What on Haley's Bop are you on about? I was 9 when this went down and followed the story (pre-suicide and the trickle of news post). There were no present kids at the time of their mass suicide. Kids were not even allowed in Heaven's Gate if I recall correctly. At least, there were none as the lifestyle required to join HG was wild and you couldn't be tied down by *anything* or risk literally losing the group and never finding them again. This happened to many members over the years.

If anything you are talking about their drills, perhaps? You need to calm down before posting next, it's really hard to figure out what you're attempting to say..

Applewhite would randomly gather the members and they had to do X, Y and Z ... then eat the applesauce. He never told them when it would actually kill them. These people literally had to be prepared to die on his whim. Thankfully for gayboi Applewhite, or Captain Castration, Hale Bop gave him an out he could hang his hat on.

Either way Heaven's Gate is a really interesting cult that could have been saved (see: not existed) if the Internet was around. These were just lost nerds looking for a home. I really don't think they thought Captain Castration would have them make the ultimate sacrifice, but he did and it was a pretty metal note to leave the 90s on.

Anyways you are likely lying OP and what do you want people to ask? Heaven's Gate wasn't that interesting. The website is still in-tact and unchanged, no one is suddenly talking about them and I promise you not a single person is CONFONDED by them. If you're really 30 years old why do you write the way you do?