Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

my mom cooked dinner basically 100% of the time but my dad's "special" dish was his boxed mac and cheese which meant adding a little extra milk (i think??? idk but i was excited for it as a dumbass child)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
what's ur dads username

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

i think my dad would call this forum "loving dumb"

he wrote off obama after the geithner appointment way back in prehistoric times so hes cool

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Best way to make grilled cheese is the chef john method. So in addition to the layer in the middle that gets nice and gooey you put some shredded cheese to directly touch the pan. It caramelises and forms that thick delicious crusty cheese. You know how everyone goes for the pizza slice where the cheese spilled slightly and got super crispy? Whole sandwich of that effect.

Also the crunch is unreal

E; "chef john grilled cheese" on youtube will find you the vid im too lazy to paste it myself

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 17, 2020

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

dex_sda posted:

E; "chef john grilled cheese" on youtube will find you the vid im too lazy to paste it myself

he didn't really go into any detail imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl4JbBK--Bo

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

dex_sda posted:

Best way to make grilled cheese is the chef john method. So in addition to the layer in the middle that gets nice and gooey you put some shredded cheese to directly touch the pan. It caramelises and forms that thick delicious crusty cheese. You know how everyone goes for the pizza slice where the cheese spilled slightly and got super crispy? Whole sandwich of that effect.

Also the crunch is unreal

let me introduce you to the squeeze burger

https://www.seriouseats.com/2008/04/serious-sandwiches-squeeze-burger-w-cheese-sk.html

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

kolby posted:

he didn't really go into any detail imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl4JbBK--Bo

hahah i love this

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

IT'S FOR YOU DAWG

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it took a second to figure out what was going on there and i can see the appeal but i don't want to risk my health eating one. respect to anyone brave enough to chase the flavor to its logical conclusion (an enormous coronary)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

no flavor country for old men

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

it took a second to figure out what was going on there and i can see the appeal but i don't want to risk my health eating one. respect to anyone brave enough to chase the flavor to its logical conclusion (an enormous coronary)

the "eating one of these will kill you instantly!!!!" hyperbole is dumb don't do it

this is a no food shaming zone

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Squizzle posted:

no flavor country for old men

what about england?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Crusty Nutsack posted:

the "eating one of these will kill you instantly!!!!" hyperbole is dumb don't do it

this is a no food shaming zone

how about a no poster shaming zone ya dick

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

how about a no poster shaming zone ya dick

:dong:

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Taintrunner posted:

Bought a Japanese hot sand maker. Absolutely killer.

Made the perfect grilled cheese and tomato soap. Observe:

-Honey wheat bread, buttered on the outside.
-Spicy chipotle mayo. Spread this on the insides of the bread.
-Serrano ham (or honey ham, also salami is a good substitute) over the mayo on each side
-Colby jack cheese slice in the middle

Set your stove to 2-3 heat setting max, then cook for about 2-4 minutes on each side (check to be sure) and you've got the perfect grilled cheese. For tomato soup, I microwaved a bowl of Campbell's creamy tomato. Utterly decadent.

that owns

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

you can make a sandwich press out of a big and a small cast iron skillet, get them both hot then slap the small one on top of the sandwich... just make sure the bottom of your small pan isn't a greasy nightmare like mine usually is

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

that's just extra, matured flavor

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

yall shut my rear end down i can respect that

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

IDK I'm worried about just the mechanics of eating it. Do I take a bite of the big cheese cracker first... am I supposed to knock it off before i eat it... what's the ettiquette?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Arrhythmia posted:

IDK I'm worried about just the mechanics of eating it. Do I take a bite of the big cheese cracker first... am I supposed to knock it off before i eat it... what's the ettiquette?

I think most people probably break off and eat some first because how can you resist? and then they put the big pieces of skirt (it's called a cheese skirt lol) in the burg so you get crunchy caramelized cheese in the sandwich

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i think too many burgs neglect texture as part of the dining experience and im tempted to try to make this thing next time i put some burgs together

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i make the iceberg lettuce (and sometimes onion) do the heavy lifting there and they're not really up to the task of structuring a properly sloppy burg

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

there's a place here that does cheese skirts on tacos, it's good

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I had a Southwestern-style Tex-Mex burg once that included a freshly fried tostada shell under the patty. it was way better than I expected it to be

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

fried cheese improves everything. well except your lifespan

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Peachfart posted:

But who needs that right now.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Peachfart posted:

it improves one's lifespan as well op

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
How come every special thing on a burger just makes it harder to eat

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

we're having the only other family we trust over so the kids can play and I'm making St Louis Ribs, chicken thighs and kielbasa baked beans

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

oxsnard posted:

we're having the only other family we trust over so the kids can play and I'm making St Louis Ribs, chicken thighs and kielbasa baked beans

I loving love baked beans. Airdrop, please.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

I loving love baked beans. Airdrop, please.

I hate most baked beans because they're usually too sweet. The trick is to make the Marcella Hazan pasta sauce, save the onion grind it up and put it in the baked beans with only a tiny bit of brown sugar. It's a subtle sweetness instead of the syrupy sweetness in KC style baked beans

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

oxsnard posted:

that looks glorious

is that pyrex? be careful with that on a grill. they love shattering from thermal shock. would be a tragedy to lose those beautiful beans

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

that looks glorious

is that pyrex? be careful with that on a grill. they love shattering from thermal shock. would be a tragedy to lose those beautiful beans

yeah it's at 250 degrees tho. I ran out of foil pans

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
the best part of covid is that my food waste has probably gone down 3x in the past few months because I have to strategically shop now so I just make do with what I have.

I've also cut my beef consumption to probably once every two weeks at most. I eat "vegetarian" probably 70% of meals, though bacon fat and lard in small amounts really helps. My personal carbon footprint has shrinked drastically and I've been eating great

HEB has this great vegan chorizo that becomes really good with a teaspoon per pound of bacon fat. Things like tacos/sloppy joes with soy crumbles and more tofu

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

oxsnard posted:

That looks amazing jfc

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

oxsnard posted:

i dont like meat all that much and this still made me incredibly hungry , it looks great

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

drat big fancy weenies in them beans

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

i dont like meat all that much and this still made me incredibly hungry , it looks great

one of my best friends is a vegan but makes an occasional exception for slow smoked meats. There's something very primal(???) about it I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

oxsnard posted:

one of my best friends is a vegan but makes an occasional exception for slow smoked meats. There's something very primal(???) about it I think

i think if meat's prepared properly and with respect that goes a long way towards making up for any ethical problems about killing an animal to get it