Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

What is this?

Oshi no Ko (no official English title yet and the title pretty punny anyway, something like The Idol I Support will suffice for now I guess) is a new collaborative Manga by two superstar Mangaka! The story is written by Akasaka Aka (Kaguya-sama: Love is War, ib: Instant Bullet) and the art is drawn by Yokoyari Mengo (Scum's Wish). Both of these authors are known for their quite imaginative approach to storytelling so expectations are already pretty high from the get-go. As for what the story is actually about. I suppose this initial blurb from AnimeNewsNetwork is a good starting point.

quote:

The story will center on an "overwhelmingly cute" heroine and show the entertainment industry with a "never-before-seen point of view."

Wait, that doesn't help at all!

To be honest, reading the first chapter will suffice in at least beginning to understand what the story will be about, but in case you need a bit more convincing I'll help you guys a bit by laying out at least the basic premise, but to do that I'll need to introduce our principal players:

Characters

Goro
A youngish doctor practicing in the gynecology at a rural hospital in the middle of nowhere. As of late he's immersed himself into the culture of the Japanese Idol industry, in particular becoming enamored with and a diehard fan of the up and coming Hoshino Ai. Content with simply being a distant fan, a chance encounter will put him far closer to the object of his admiration than he ever thought possible.

Serena
A 12-year old girl suffering from cancer and the source of Goro's eventual idol addiction. See, Goro tends to wander around the hospital when there's nothing to do, and he would often visit with Serena, an Ai superfan, and that fandom would soon rub off on him. Serena has a great deal of admiration for Ai but she seems to harbor strong feelings for the wandering doctor as well.

Hoshino Ai
A 16-year old idol. She's forced to take a break from her idol work for health reasons, but this ends up being a cover. She kicks off the events of the story by showing up to the hospital Goro works at 20 weeks pregnant, much to Goro's shock. Further examination by Goro soon reveals that she's pregnant with twins! Issues with her career aside, Ai is determined to have the children and start a family, and as one of her hardcore fans Goro decides to use his skills as a doctor to grant her wish and deliver her babies as safely as possible.

Ruby and Aqua
The fraternal twin children of Hoshino Ai, Ruby being a girl and Aqua being a boy. They'll have their own story to tell for sure, but they'll have to grow up a bit first, and under the shadow of an industry that would curse their very existence without batting an eye.

Wow this all sounds quite strange (and a little creepy), are you sure this is good?

There's only nine chapters out so far and it takes a bit to get going (Aka himself says we're only now just finishing the "prologue") but I and several others are quite enjoying it so far and even with relatively few chapters I'm quite invested in where the story goes from here. In particular if you enjoyed reading Kaguya-sama: Love is War you'll find Aka's penchant for both comedy and drama shining through in spades. (Also Mengo's art is better than Aka's so that helps too)

Okay fine, where can I read it?

The good folks over at Jaimini's Box are currently translating the series. They also translate Kaguya-sama: Love is War if you feel like checking that out as well.

:siren: Spoilers for later chapters (barring the latest) will be unmarked as per usual protocol for manga threads, so be warned. :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I hope the next chapter doesn't just skip to the twins' adulthood.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Yess, let's go!!!

Goro reincarnating as Aqua after being stabbed threw me for a loop when I first read chapter 1, but it's been great fun seeing him adapt to his new life.

RIP Hoshino Ai. You were only with us for about 9 chapters, but you were good. :smith:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really didn't think Aka was going to kill the mom. :qq:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Sindai posted:

Yeah, that was quite a shock. I've liked this manga so far, but Kaguya's much better in my opinion. It's pretty early to be making calls on quality though, we'll see if whatever status quo is set up after the end of the prologue sucks me in at anywhere near the level that Kaguya does.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm normally not into show biz stories, but this is pretty wild.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How long until someone compares this to Act-Age?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Sindai posted:

There was enough setup to expect it but goddamn it didn't prepare me

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I decided to check this out because it was being hyped in the Kaguya thread, and boy I did not expect isekai Rugrats.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Ah poo poo. I had read chapter 1 when it first came out and then forgot about this series until it got mentioned again in the Kaguya thread. drat this chapter hit me hard.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was not emotionally prepared for this. I thought scum's wish was laughably bad.

It just hit so close to home

I actually cried.

:psyduck:

I know it's important for the story but gently caress I wish she lived goddamnit

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:siren: Chapter 10 is out! End of Prologue. No chapter next week. :siren:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I would have loved seeing more of Ai's story but this seems like it's going to be pretty interesting as is!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

That panel with Aqua's star eye coming back to life at the thought of murdering his dad :stare:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Hey not the route I expected them to take, but this could be a lot of fun!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh no they used the word tragedy! :ohdear:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Chapter 10 gives me intense Qualia of Purple vibes and I am totally down for that.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
If you're like me and have an Akasaka gap to fill between Oshi no Ko and Kaguya, ib: Instant Bullet is pretty darn good. Vibes of Mirai Nikki but done in a really nice reimagined way. I hate to coin or use the phrase "it's X but Akasaka's unique take on it" but yeah.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Cephas posted:

Chapter 10 gives me intense Qualia of Purple vibes and I am totally down for that.

Dang, I had completely forgotten that Qualia of Purple ever existed until that mention (which is ridiculously on brand). That was a really fun high concept manga. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't checked it out.

I just checked out some highlights of Instant Bullet (just the beginning and the end), and I really like how he chose to end it. I hope he gets to go back and do a follow up to it later, I'd be pretty eager to see what he could pull off with it on both the art and story front now that he's further along as a mangaka.

Sign me up as interested in seeing Instant Bullet Z someday, in other words. But only after Kaguya hits at least 500 issues, since I can't imagine enjoying any of Aka's works more than I enjoy Kaguya.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 8, 2020

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

read the first chapter

that is

aggressively

not what I thought would happen

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:siren: Chapter 11 is out. :siren:

Ruby: Onii-Chaaaaan! I wanna be an Idol like ma-

Aqua: PERISH THE THOUGHT.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's being a creep about it, but he's not wrong.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Aqua, making your sister cry is no bueno :nono:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I approve of this development. Keep getting darker and darker in your pursuit for revenge brother, I want this to seem like super small potatoes later.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I read all of Instant Bullet last week and man, some emotional parallels are coming up real hard and fast in odd ways to Oshi no Ko. If you like this or Akasaka, don't skip Instant Bullet.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

NowonSA posted:

I approve of this development. Keep getting darker and darker in your pursuit for revenge brother, I want this to seem like super small potatoes later.

If he keeps going with this, I'll be interested too see what happens when it's confirmed for him that his sister is the girl from the hospital.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean he already knows who she is, more or less. It's her that doesn't realize who he is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think she even knows that he died.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

JB fell behind on translating this for reasons so another group has picked up the slack. 12 was released a bit ago and 13 just now.

Chapter 12 - In which Aqua struts his acting skills and Ruby gets her big break! maybe. kinda?
Chapter 13 - In which the clear best girl is properly introduced. By that I'm, of course, talking about the director's mom :allears:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Yo I really lost it at the little visual gag of <- certified medical doctor These out of body type mangas are always aimed at like otakus or whatever, so its very funny that a legit doctor is inhabiting the body of this child.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

God those flash forwards are loving me up fierce.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter 14

Kana is a funny girl :allears:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aqua really has no chill, huh?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I pray that Aqua does not remain an incurable killjoy throughout the series. Is he in fact incapable of feeling joy as if fixated on revenge 24/7?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hot take Ruby gonna save Aqua’s heart with Idol Power.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah it's hard to imagine this going any other way.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Acerbatus posted:

Aqua really has no chill, huh?
He's a boy with a mission.

Also Kana playing off of him was fantastic. :3:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sindai posted:

Yeah it's hard to imagine this going any other way.

Maybe this is the IB remake and it's going to end with him trying to blow up the planet.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Aqua is a STRONG BOY with STRONG CONVICTIONS about STRONG MURDER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

Maybe this is the IB remake and it's going to end with him trying to blow up the planet.

I can't believe Ruby unlocks her IB powers to magical girl dance with her senpai to save the world from her Brother's IB [Ruthless Healer]