Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
After another few sessions of Lob Corp where I handled Indigo Noons and CRAs by executing most of the clerks in my complex, I have to think that the CRAs just might be working in a counter-productive fashion.

(I know, I know.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Tried Binah for the first time today; didn't make it past phase two. My initial plan was to do a full reset after suppressing Hokma and Binah, but I might have to make one even earlier because there are some abnormalities I can't wait to get rid of, and they'll be a huge pain with these suppressions on my plate. Regarding Binah, should I even bother having anyone attack her when she's at .8 resistances and moving, or should I wait until she does another set of meltdowns so I can disable her again?

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Just for funnies I’m trying to speed run a clean slate of lobcorp. It’s uh... not going great :p but I did get the proper three tool combo off the bat, I’m just flailing with the crimson noon day 24ish

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Solitair posted:

Tried Binah for the first time today; didn't make it past phase two. My initial plan was to do a full reset after suppressing Hokma and Binah, but I might have to make one even earlier because there are some abnormalities I can't wait to get rid of, and they'll be a huge pain with these suppressions on my plate. Regarding Binah, should I even bother having anyone attack her when she's at .8 resistances and moving, or should I wait until she does another set of meltdowns so I can disable her again?

re: the spoiler

Just Buns. Ideally you never attack her at all. But yes, if you have to attack her you keep going when she's at .8 since she's still very mortal.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TeeQueue posted:

Just Buns. Ideally you never attack her at all. But yes, if you have to attack her you keep going when she's at .8 since she's still very mortal.

Well, initially my reason for not wanting to attack her is not wanting to trigger her attacks, get my agents killed and add more meltdowns to my plate. I don't know if I can attack her from behind to avoid triggering the key or fairy at all; she'll probably just turn around instead. But you made me realize that maybe I can just trap her in one department with the Rabbits and hope that no meltdowns spawn in that department.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Solitair posted:

Well, initially my reason for not wanting to attack her is not wanting to trigger her attacks, get my agents killed and add more meltdowns to my plate. I don't know if I can attack her from behind to avoid triggering the key or fairy at all; she'll probably just turn around instead. But you made me realize that maybe I can just trap her in one department with the Rabbits and hope that no meltdowns spawn in that department.

When you are doing Meltdown Suppressions the department that is vacated will never get any meltdowns, so you can just call the Rabbit team immediately before she leaves because Extraction won't have any meltdowns.

SITB fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 14, 2020

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

SITB posted:

When you are doing Meltdown Suppressions the department that is vacated will never get any meltdowns, so you can just call the Rabbit team immediately before she leaves because Extraction won't have any meltdowns.

Question is, can I get the energy to call the Rabbits before she leaves Extraction?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

You can call the rabbits with zero energy. It's hilarious because they just take a percentage of it

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Geburah meltdown trip report: I had the Shelter, so I figured I'd load up with a bunch of disposable employees and let the Red Mist fight Abnormalities for a while. If I got bored, I could always reset the day, and I'd at least see what she does.

Unfortunately, having just added White Night, I forgot that when it escaped, it would lock me into 1X speed and keep me from exiting short of terminating the game process entirely. So that was fun.

Eventually got the job done, though. I am now strangely fond of Nothing There for being the MVP of murdering Red Mist. The complex got White Night down to about 66% health, too, but sadly, the Silent Orchestra was in the same department, which put a real crimp in the chances of killing the Night. Do you get the Night's weapon if Abnormalities take it out?

This game is so well designed. I love that there's unique dialogue for when you set the Rabbits on Red Mist.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I had the birds, QoH, Nothing There, Blue Star and Red when I did the meltdown, it still took the better part of an hour and a half, didn't help Nothing there got really obsessed with breaking Punishing Bird's Egg when it can't do anything do it.

And Also read the 'Titania' 'Nobody is'(1) that just went up.

I'm buying a hat to eat if "Alex" doesn't turn out to be the latter, there's something off about them

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Choosing from -108, -110 and -31. Would rather not have to repo. Advice? Day 27, 4 ALEPHs currently in the facility, sitting on a pretty bad red resistant suits deficit at the moment.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aumanor posted:

Choosing from -108, -110 and -31. Would rather not have to repo. Advice? Day 27, 4 ALEPHs currently in the facility, sitting on a pretty bad red resistant suits deficit at the moment.

As long as you don't pick 31 then you should be okay. Just be aware that 110 can have issues depending on what other abnormalities you have and 108 requires a very specific way of handling it.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Aumanor posted:

None of these are particularly good choices, so pick your poison:

108 is a Clerk's Rights Squad member and is generally mediocre otherwise. When escaping it has one pretty nasty charge attack that deals a ton of damage and can eat the EGO gifts of survivors but otherwise isn't hugely threatening, and its suit has good red resistance and decent black. It's an OK judgement trainer if you don't have any other good WAWs or ALEPHs, I guess?

110 will try to mind control your agents if you go five works on any abnormality without working it, and will bless any employee that enters its chamber, including from normal work; the bless gives a decent buff to work speed and SP, but if five agents are blessed all of them will turn into monsters. It's a pretty good Insight trainer and has a strong red-type ranged weapon and a suit that's strong against white and decent against red.

31-is a really painful Aleph whose counter decreases if you get a non-normal result, and if it does escape it's a nightmare to suppress- it teleports to a random spot in the facility and goes through four phases where he's immune to all but one specific color each phase and deals heavy white damage in an increasing area of effect, and if you don't kill him before the last phases finishes he kills anyone in the entire facility under half SP and completely drains all the energy you've collected so far. In exchange it gives a powerful white melee weapon, a suit that's strong against red and black and nearly immune to white, and if you're lucky enough to get its EGO if the agent is wearing the suit they become completely immune to white damage.

In general I would say 108 is reasonably low risk but lowest reward, 110 is good but requires a lot of attention, and 31 is extremely strong but heavily luck-based and basically guaranteed to force a restart at some point.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

kvx687 posted:

None of these are particularly good choices, so pick your poison:

108 is a Clerk's Rights Squad member and is generally mediocre otherwise. When escaping it has one pretty nasty charge attack that deals a ton of damage and can eat the EGO gifts of survivors but otherwise isn't hugely threatening, and its suit has good red resistance and decent black. It's an OK judgement trainer if you don't have any other good WAWs or ALEPHs, I guess?

110 will try to mind control your agents if you go five works on any abnormality without working it, and will bless any employee that enters its chamber, including from normal work; the bless gives a decent buff to work speed and SP, but if five agents are blessed all of them will turn into monsters. It's a pretty good Insight trainer and has a strong red-type ranged weapon and a suit that's strong against white and decent against red.

31-is a really painful Aleph whose counter decreases if you get a non-normal result, and if it does escape it's a nightmare to suppress- it teleports to a random spot in the facility and goes through four phases where he's immune to all but one specific color each phase and deals heavy white damage in an increasing area of effect, and if you don't kill him before the last phases finishes he kills anyone in the entire facility under half SP and completely drains all the energy you've collected so far. In exchange it gives a powerful white melee weapon, a suit that's strong against red and black and nearly immune to white, and if you're lucky enough to get its EGO if the agent is wearing the suit they become completely immune to white damage.

In general I would say 108 is reasonably low risk but lowest reward, 110 is good but requires a lot of attention, and 31 is extremely strong but heavily luck-based and basically guaranteed to force a restart at some point.

Wait a moment, didn't you say that 110's the one who blesses? Because I've picked 108 specifically to avoid it and it looks suspiciously like it's blessing anyone who works with it.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
They got 108 and 110 mixed up...

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

CHiRAL posted:

They got 108 and 110 mixed up...

Well, gently caress. Looks like two days of training up newbies and Army in Black down the drain.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
You can still keep it. It's annoying to work with, but nothing impossible.

Work rules: It will bless anybody working with it, no matter what. It will also bless a random employee (can include clerks) for every five works completed while it's not being worked. So the way you handle it is, you assign one person to work it the whole day. Then you complete four works, start a fifth and time work on 108 so that the fifth work will finish while 108 is being worked. It's annoying to keep track of, but nothing terrible. Unless, of course, you get the bright idea of doing the Hokma suppression after adding it. On a repository day. That was... difficult.

In any case, you have a bit of leeway with the blessings. If you mess up your timing, or just have too many meltdowns going on at once, you can just eat the penalty three times before things get bad. And if you execute the person about to receive the blessing before they reach the tree, it won't pull another one in.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Aumanor posted:

Well, gently caress. Looks like two days of training up newbies and Army in Black down the drain.

Oh, poo poo, sorry :(

For what it's worth, it does take clerks as well as agents so if you let them get to the containment chamber first you can otherwise ignore it pretty easily. I think you can also click repeatedly on possessed employees to knock them out of the trance before they reach the room.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

You can still keep it. It's annoying to work with, but nothing impossible.

Unless, of course, you get the bright idea of doing the Hokma suppression after adding it. On a repository day. That was... difficult.

Haven't even unlocked the relevant department but I'm assuming it's on the bucket list. Level with me: will having it in my facility make said suppression impossible? I need to know if I need to repo on day 30.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
If I remember right, it doesn't count works done while working on it, so you can just work it first and then do everything else while it's being worked?

I know that's the case for punishing bird, so I can't imagine it would be any different for the tree... but then, it somehow being different would be peak

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Aumanor posted:

Haven't even unlocked the relevant department but I'm assuming it's on the bucket list. Level with me: will having it in my facility make said suppression impossible? I need to know if I need to repo on day 30.

I managed to do it, it's more a matter of keeping count.

It doesn't count works finished while being worked, the difference to Punishing Bird is that Bird checks when you enter the cell and Tree when you leave it. That's harder to time. You can easily do it under normal circumstances.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

If tree just counts when you leave the work, then it’s pretty simple to deal with, just always have it be the last work you set up in a cycle.

Oh, well, I’m sure I’ll have plenty of time to test this.

I say for no reason. :smith:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Wow, Binah loving crumpled under the Rabbits. Thanks for the advice, guys! Of course, breaching abnormalities still killed nine agents, so back to day 41 I go.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

LoR Pinocchio fight question: What constitutes a "lie"? I've compared the cards being played on the lie turn to the actual cards my librarians have and they're identical. What's the tell? Or is it just a pure 50% guess?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The lie can be anything, from an incorrect damage type marker to the dice numbers being wrong, to I thiink card art being for different cards?

Anyways, if you're running discards you don't have to worry about that because if the boss discards its hand due to you running an olga deck, then for some reason it never gets the lies and just plays fair and that mechanic can be roundly ignored.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Has anyone else encountered a glitch where Hod's mission 5 doesn't mark as being complete for the purposes of Safety's core suppression pre-reqs? I did a complete reset and that doesn't seem to have helped it.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Did you do the correct mission? Hod's mission 5 is actually her suppression, that confused me too.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Oh, that fixed it. That's weird, I thought her fifth mission was the 'deploy a bunch of level 5 agents' one! Silly. Silly silly.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Hokma isn't as bad as I thought he'd be. I got to the midnight ordeal (Amber Midnight, the one ordeal I haven't suppressed yet) no problem, and then the game crashed. You'd think after the fifth time that happened I'd stop playing a Youtube vid in the background, but I guess not.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Hokma complete. A bunch of things made it not as bad as I thought it would be. First, only one to three containers melt down if you save him for last, as I did. Second, I executed all of my clerks ASAP so I wouldn't have to worry about the Mountain breaking out. Third, I spread my agents throughout all of the hallways so there would always be one ready to catch a clown in the act of loving with a cell door. Finally, I got Amber Midnight, and figured out that the best way to beat it is to make it spawn all its minions and wait until it came right next to my collection of agents and I could order it killed. The minions die when the big worm that spawns them dies. I only lost one agent to a reflexive, needless pause when I worried that the big worm pulling out would damage the agents in the room. If that agent had panicked and spread the panic, or if I triggered Violet Midnight instead of Amber or Green, I might not have been able to pull it off.

I'm going to do a big reset one more time. Here's the facility I'm getting rid of:
Control: One Sin, Old Lady, 1.76 MHz, Old Faith and Promise
Information: Fragment of the Universe, Lady Facing the Wall, Void Dream, Mirror of Adjustment
Training: Meat Lantern, Red Shoes, Little Red Riding Hooded Mercenary, Behavior Adjustment
Safety: Schadenfreude, Queen Bee, King of Greed, Flesh Idol
Central 1: Little Prince, Laetitia, Big and Will Be Bad Wolf, Notes from a Crazed Researcher
Central 2: Nothing There, Melting Love, Grave of Cherry Blossoms, Luminous Bracelet
Disciplinary: Alriune, Judgment Bird, Scarecrow Searching for Wisdom, Shelter from the 27th of March
Welfare: El Llanto de la Luna, Big Bird, Mountain of Smiling Bodies, Giant Tree Sap
Extraction: Knight of Despair, CENSORED, Dream of a Black Swan, Portrait of Another World
Records: Dimensional Refraction Variant, Burrowing Heaven, Blue Star, Backwards Clock (the contents of this department varied greatly with the checkpoint resets I did; this is just its most recent form)

This last run will be to research the abnormalities I haven't encountered yet (-15, -31, -37, -42, -45, -46, -47, -55, -61, -63, -71, -74 and -108), build a facility that can endure the last challenges, and train an army of super-agents. Hopefully training everyone won't be too boring until I get to the hard parts again.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Oh you definitely saved the best for last. You should probably do another reset once you get those done, because that sounds like a nightmare.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Cloacamazing! posted:

Oh you definitely saved the best for last. You should probably do another reset once you get those done, because that sounds like a nightmare.

I said I won't go back to day 1 again, but I'll definitely be going back to the memory repository once I get what I want out of a problem abnormality.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Finished all currently available content in LoR, bar some grinding for a few key pages I've missed. What a great game.

Some mechanics questions:

1)Der Freischütz's E.G.O. is a placeholder card, yes?

2)The generic Librarian cards are all blank, except for Gebura's, which seems to have a bunch of hidden/locked/greyed-out passives. Another placeholder for a future update where dept. head Key Pages are actually a special option?

3)Yujin 's Key Page has a bunch of positive/negative traits (like all of Shi), is there any way to deal with the negatives (like the "This card has 3 Speed die, but one is always locked" one) or is that just the Shi Association gimmick through and through? Like, is there any way to get any extra use out of the -2Str/+3Str passive?

e.: earlier in the thread I asked a couple of lore questions and was told I'd find out the answers during gameplay. I'm don't think either of my questions was really answered (unless the answer is in the fluff part of a Key page, which I might have overlooked) so I'll just quote the post:

KazigluBey posted:

stupid LoR "lore" question, idk if it needs to be spoiler'd but: Why don't more people just run away? It seems like it's an option even if nobody really talks about it and it got me wondering because I'm at the Plague tier and there's been at least a couple of groups I could see really not having a reason to fight to the death, or in one case (the gun squad that used the invitation to avoid getting merk'd by the blue scythe guy) not really having a hugely compelling reason to try AND a massive premonition of how risky even trying would be. I get that the setting revolves around an ultra-violent status-quo and pretty much every person that gets book'd knew pretty much nothing but violence their whole lives, but it seems a little off to me. I realize I'm treading on "yelling at character in horror movie to just leave the haunted house" territory here, but since the game establishes that it's an option idk, it kinda bugs me a little.

Similarly, another lore question: Is it ever implied that people can be restored from being book'd? It feels to me like a few follow-up encounters have characters wanting to retrieve their friends'/colleagues'/love-intrests' books for more than just sentimental reasons but is that really it, they just want them back just insomuch as not wanting the Library to have them, not because they can do anything about the whole death-into-book thing?

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 26, 2020

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

Finished all currently available content in LoR, bar some grinding for a few key pages I've missed. What a great game.

Some mechanics questions:

1)Der Freischütz's E.G.O. is a placeholder card, yes?

2)The generic Librarian cards are all blank, except for Gebura's, which seems to have a bunch of hidden/locked/greyed-out passives. Another placeholder for a future update where dept. head Key Pages are actually a special option?

3)Yujin 's Key Page has a bunch of positive/negative traits (like all of Shi), is there any way to deal with the negatives (like the "This card has 3 Speed die, but one is always locked" one) or is that just the Shi Association gimmick through and through? Like, is there any way to get any extra use out of the -2Str/+3Str passive?

e.: earlier in the thread I asked a couple of lore questions and was told I'd find out the answers during gameplay. I'm don't think either of my questions was really answered (unless the answer is in the fluff part of a Key page, which I might have overlooked) so I'll just quote the post:

1) Yes, the scuttlebutt was that Synchronization was a mechanic that wasn't finished yet.

2) Yes I think, though only Geburah (and I assume Binah) will have passives as head librarians.

3) Part of the Shi gimmick I'm afraid, though you can give Yujin's 3 speed dice slot to someone since the speed slot being unavailable is tied to another passive.

This is more the realm of speculation than actual facts:

4) Well, I assume that the Full Stop Office thought that if they ran away they would just get killed by Argalia, same for the Kurokumo clan and Tanya. But in general, I don't think that people can escape unless the library allows them? All the people who escaped were used as bait to reel even more people so Angela can find her one perfect book.

5) I don't think that it was ever stated that people can be un-book'd, on the other hand the invitation does promise your heart's desire and who knows what the Light can do?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So, suppressing Nothing There. After a few attempts the method I've found to do it without any casualties (exept for the one needed to make it breach in the first place) involved an agent with its own armor, Child of Galaxy's max regen, Knight of Despair's blessing and Army in Black's protection. The agent tanks the abnormality for the first 30 seconds, with literally all other agents in the facility waiting in an adjacent corridor/room, and once it transforms into a cocoon you just pile everyone on and hope they can dps it down before it transforms again. Now, TeeQue does not have all of those, but perhaps between Luminous Bracelet and red shield bullets an agent might be able to hold out for half a minute?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Aumanor posted:

So, suppressing Nothing There. After a few attempts the method I've found to do it without any casualties (exept for the one needed to make it breach in the first place) involved an agent with its own armor, Child of Galaxy's max regen, Knight of Despair's blessing and Army in Black's protection. The agent tanks the abnormality for the first 30 seconds, with literally all other agents in the facility waiting in an adjacent corridor/room, and once it transforms into a cocoon you just pile everyone on and hope they can dps it down before it transforms again. Now, TeeQue does not have all of those, but perhaps between Luminous Bracelet and red shield bullets an agent might be able to hold out for half a minute?

I’d probably just deathball and kite it around until phase 2, then drop all the DPS of the entire facility on it to kill it as an egg.

Dunno if I could pull it off but between the spore spear and all the damage I have on tap it’d probably work. Only 2k HP to burn through, after all.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

Just cleared this suppression today; I love the logic behind the dialogue if you set the Rabbits on her:
The opening "uh, this isn't really an Arbiter, is it? Because calling us on one is technically not legal" through to the closing "I don't believe it, we just took down an Arbiter." Guess the whole legal thing didn't matter that much now that you've actually done it, eh?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Trip report on fighting the Birdemic:
Thought I was going to have to wait for TeeQueue to show how it's done in the LP after several disastrous attempts, but I had an idea this morning for an approach and managed it with 0 casualties.
1. I identified the small number of abnormalities I did not want to see meltdown. All my Alephs happened to be in two hallways, so it was really easy to monitor those and I left some employees nearby to dart in if necessary (although I mostly got lucky, plus the faster you kill eggs the fewer meltdowns get triggered).
2. I had two doomstacks, one up top and one in Disciplinary outside the main room. Everyone in the stack closest to Long Bird's egg got dispatched to destroy it first. Since you do very little Pale damage, its healing effects don't really kick in and you can murder it pretty fast.
3. Once that egg is dead and you can pause again, you can dispatch kill teams to one or both of the other eggs that do only the appropriate types of damage. Managing critical meltdowns and dodging the Birb become much easier, too.
4. Obviously, if the Birb pays a visit to a room when you're killing an egg, pull out temporarily.
5. You can either deal with other breaching abnormalities after it's over, or send any employees who didn't get sent after eggs because of their damage types.

I am now nearly at endgame, but only have 98% unlocked abnormalities (two to go). Anyone have any advice about whether to Day 1 reset now, or press ahead? Is the experience of working through the endgame and then having to do it again going to be better or worse than slogging through it twice?

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Narsham posted:

Trip report on fighting the Birdemic:
Thought I was going to have to wait for TeeQueue to show how it's done in the LP after several disastrous attempts, but I had an idea this morning for an approach and managed it with 0 casualties.
1. I identified the small number of abnormalities I did not want to see meltdown. All my Alephs happened to be in two hallways, so it was really easy to monitor those and I left some employees nearby to dart in if necessary (although I mostly got lucky, plus the faster you kill eggs the fewer meltdowns get triggered).
2. I had two doomstacks, one up top and one in Disciplinary outside the main room. Everyone in the stack closest to Long Bird's egg got dispatched to destroy it first. Since you do very little Pale damage, its healing effects don't really kick in and you can murder it pretty fast.
3. Once that egg is dead and you can pause again, you can dispatch kill teams to one or both of the other eggs that do only the appropriate types of damage. Managing critical meltdowns and dodging the Birb become much easier, too.
4. Obviously, if the Birb pays a visit to a room when you're killing an egg, pull out temporarily.
5. You can either deal with other breaching abnormalities after it's over, or send any employees who didn't get sent after eggs because of their damage types.

I am now nearly at endgame, but only have 98% unlocked abnormalities (two to go). Anyone have any advice about whether to Day 1 reset now, or press ahead? Is the experience of working through the endgame and then having to do it again going to be better or worse than slogging through it twice?

Press ahead.

After you finished the game once you don't need to finish it again after getting 100% codex, the true ending starts after you go back to the start screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The new library of runia update is very big and impressive. I'm surprised at how blatantly mafioso the Thumb turned out to be. You fight a bunch of soldatos on the first invite, and then you face a sottocapo and his caporegimes in the next invite. At this point the only way to escalate is to fight the capo dei capi of the Thumb.