Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
also her combat passive (let's be real, this is not an ID you're benching) is just

gloom res 3
- when clashing against targets with negative sp, clash power +1, damage +20%
- +30% damage against targets with her weird s3 debuff (stacks with the first thing)
- when winning a clash without losing a single coin, heal 10 sp. if this unit is already at max sp, gain 3 offense power up (2 times per turn)

why

also her evade inflicts 1 sinking whenever it triggers because, you know, that's definitely something this id needs to keep it good enough

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Solid 13/19/20 rolls, is only -1 count on her S2 and S3 by default, and Echoes of the Manor is pretty fuckin' nuts. A 50% chance for everyone capable of inflicting Sinking to add Count as well is kinda crazy. And +3 power whenever she wins a clash at max sanity...jesus christ. Does need 3 gloom res to trigger, though. On the Sinking team, that's Outis S2, Hongle S2, Ishmael S3, and Deici S1. Not something she'll have much trouble pulling off.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 28, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GilliamYaeger posted:

Solid 13/19/20 rolls, is only -1 count on her S2 and S3 by default, and Echoes of the Manor is pretty fuckin' nuts. A 50% chance for everyone capable of inflicting Sinking to add Count as well is kinda crazy. And +3 power whenever she wins a clash at max sanity...jesus christ.

i assume that for your math you're assuming enough sinking on the target, which does seem plausible in a sinking team

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Goatse James Bond posted:

i assume that for your math you're assuming enough sinking on the target, which does seem plausible in a sinking team
If you're not opening a Sinking team fight with Rime Shank you're doing it wrong.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i'm gonna be honest, i still don't really understand when (or how, if you don't have the sins?) to overclock an ego

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

If you're not opening a Sinking team fight with Rime Shank you're doing it wrong.

for normal fights you don't really have to at all because the sinking team in general is fairly jacked.

e: also we finally get something on vergil in that he is contractually obligated to be a lazy rear end in a top hat. he seems to have toned down the overt hostility a bit too, i guess because it wasn't working anymore

also it's really important to him that dante stays alive, except when the middle is about to kill them i guess then it's fine

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 28, 2024

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
So it seems Linton is a combination of both of them, as far as I can tell. The role of the original and the sickness of the younger. I wonder if it's the same with Cathy.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

i'm gonna be honest, i still don't really understand when (or how, if you don't have the sins?) to overclock an ego

Alright, so, there are two ways to overclock an ego. If you have the extra resources, it becomes the corrupted version but you can target it. If you don't, it becomes the corrupted version and targets whatever the hell it wants. Both types are done by holding down the ego in question until it changes.

EDIT: ...aww crap, I double posted.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
...wait.

Wait.

Hang on.

Nelly's Edgar's chief butler after she left to follow Catherine. Butler Outis's story mentions that Ryoshu is Edgar's chief servant, who is a "traitor." You know what this means?

MEIDO RYOSHU LETS loving GOOOOOOOOOOO

Also Don's VA is earning her fuckin' paycheck god dayum

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

on t corp and color: both the "it's to style on poors" and "it's a singularity thing" explanations were correct, it's something to do with their singularity AND people have to pay for the privilege of not being robbed of visual spectrum

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay I'm at the end now.

The reason Wuthering Heights is now Like This is because Linton contracted the Ring to do modifications, which means all of this is connected to Leviathan.

The Dead Rabbits aren't actually the syndicate, they're randos kidnapped and had pseudo-IDs of the Dead Rabbits forced onto their bodies.

I think Cathy had been ID-ifed as well, given Nelly's mention that she was wasting away until one day when she was suddenly Better.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Junpei posted:

Okay I'm at the end now.

The reason Wuthering Heights is now Like This is because Linton contracted the Ring to do modifications, which means all of this is connected to Leviathan.

The Dead Rabbits aren't actually the syndicate, they're randos kidnapped and had pseudo-IDs of the Dead Rabbits forced onto their bodies.

I think Cathy had been ID-ifed as well, given Nelly's mention that she was wasting away until one day when she was suddenly Better.

I'm not sure about the Cathy thing...on one hand, it's very possible, but on the other she was wasting away because of no Heathcliff. If someone came to her and made her an offer that would let her see Heathcliff again - perhaps involving a Golden Bough that would inevitably lure him back to Wuthering Heights as part of Limbus Company...

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished part 1, strange things are afoot in the wuther cave

so thanks to lindon's petty dickery Cathy thought that Heathcliff was gone for good and one day after a "visitor" spoke to her she woke up and suddenly became obsessed with bringing him back and reaching "her heaven" and other vague omnious statements that, when combined with obvious Mirror Fuckery going on, mean she's either turned into some kind of horrible mirror monster or summoned a horrible heathcliff mirror monster from an alternate dimension. possibly both.

also the subplot of "wuthering heights if heathcliff was a (mostly) functioning adult" is pretty great.

"YOU'RE NOTHNIG BUT A FILTHY ANIMAL CLAD IN RAGS DESTINED FOR THE GUTTER"
"grow up dude"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I saw someone float, by the way, that the Requisite Mili Song for this chapter could perhaps reference another famous adaptation of Wuthering Heights, the Kate Bush song of the same name. I don't think it's likely to happen, and if it did I don't think it'd be an obvious sample or anything, but it is an intriguing possibility.

watchedclock
Mar 23, 2023
Hmm, Heathcliff is remarkably well-adjusted this canto, but anyone else hear those distorted sound effects start up in some of his dialogue when he gets upset? Methinks he’s one or two really bad revelations from a conversation with Carmen

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Some small notes and moments that might be light foreshadowing for the future of other Sinners or just things I found interesting, but may not be directly plot-relevant to the Canto:

-Outis's watch (the To Pathos Mathos one) is broken. She's touchy about it. Gift from Athena? Penelope? Telemachus?

-Faust says that, quote, "it takes time for me to reach Fausts's specific knowledge" (emphasis mine). That's another piece of the puzzle for the Faust Network Theory.

-Outis notes that the idea of the lightning striking with intent brings back bad memories. Probably the equivalent of Poseidon, given storms were a part of his domain and that Odysseus royally pissed him off being the reason why his voyage takes so long.

-I have no idea why there's a Syndicate named "Addams Family" but that threw me.

-When Ryoshu mentions the Ring that acquired the Dead Rabbits, Ryoshu says it was probably the "Fauvists". "Fauvism" was an art movement from the early 20th century in France.

-M Corp, in addition to the Moonlight Stone that high-level Fixers gild stuff with, also has something called a "Abyss Trauma Correctional Facility". Therapy sounds loving terrifying in the City. Or maybe it's straight-up an insane asylum.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
So Heathcliff gets a buff this canto that causes him to lose sanity every turn, as well as lose further sanity when hit in exchange for a little damage buff.

Heathcliff also has a single very awkward 000 that loves low sanity and getting hit.

That's right boys and girls, get out your sad umbrella fox man, this is probably going to be the one and only time ever where this ID is not only usable and good, but a downright allstar. He's getting MVP of every fight, has supremely cool animations, and his mechanics are super fun when they're buffed to specifically not suck.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Onehandclapping posted:

So Heathcliff gets a buff this canto that causes him to lose sanity every turn, as well as lose further sanity when hit in exchange for a little damage buff.

Heathcliff also has a single very awkward 000 that loves low sanity and getting hit.

That's right boys and girls, get out your sad umbrella fox man, this is probably going to be the one and only time ever where this ID is not only usable and good, but a downright allstar. He's getting MVP of every fight, has supremely cool animations, and his mechanics are super fun when they're buffed to specifically not suck.

unfortunately it's a waste of resources outside this chapter since he's still garbage everywhere else.

e: also the sinking wuthering butler enemy group will corrode the poo poo out of him though you only fight them like twice I think

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 28, 2024

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
The Oufi Association Director is certainly sporting a look

That is almost as much hair as Ish and he doesn't look nearly as good with it. Althought it might just be the absurdly frilly cape.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
something I've only just now noticed is that Heathcliff uses the British spellings for words where the other sinners don't—colour comes up a lot.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Also reached the end of the current stuff. Heathcliff turning out to be the sane one amongst the 3 Wuthering Heights' men was neat. Also Mike was really happy to see Heathcliff but at the same time it seems he decided to disband his proper Syndicate members and get civillians with Rabbit IDs (since the Ring did have access to Identity tech in Leviathan, right? And we have 3 factions now besides the sinners: Edgar Butlers (who probably won't matter much now that Linton surrendered), Wuthering Butlers (who seem to be going insane due to Catherine) and Dead Rabbits (who, given their new allegiance to the Ring, might be more aware of what's really going on).

Catherine seems to be the main villain of the Canto for me, given she's pretty much the reason everything is going nuts. Not sure if she ID'd or the Golden Bough just made her Distort. That said now it makes more sense that Portrait of a Certain Day is a Canto Abno, given the Sinking and old theming. I guess Dreaming Electric Sheep, reading the event in hindsight, represents Heathcliff? Cause of the lightning motif and how the city (AKA Cathy) shuts down after it's freed.

Funny that in retrospect Oufi Heathcliff was sort of a preview of Season 4.

EDIT: Also, regarding the new IDs, while Outis' is fun giving us teases such as ULTRA MAID ASSASSIN RYOSHU (and possibly 00 Butler Faust? would fit given she's lower ranked than Outis), Mersault's is interesting in that it finally reveals what the gently caress is up with Bodysack: It was (maybe) Heathcliff's first kill.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 28, 2024

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also reached the end of the current stuff. Heathcliff turning out to be the sane one amongst the 3 Wuthering Heights' men was neat. Also Mike was really happy to see Heathcliff but at the same time it seems he decided to disband his proper Syndicate members and get civillians with Rabbit IDs (since the Ring did have access to Identity tech in Leviathan, right? And we have 3 factions now besides the sinners: Edgar Butlers (who probably won't matter much now that Linton surrendered), Wuthering Butlers (who seem to be going insane due to Catherine) and Dead Rabbits (who, given their new allegiance to the Ring, might be more aware of what's really going on).

I'm almost certain none of the Dead Rabbits are who they think they are, the leader is probably not really the leader Heathcliff remembers, and that's why the name confusion occurs between Heath and Hindley. Outside Hindley trying to be a shitter. He's better adjusted because he has the better version of the mirror tech the other rabbits are being controlled with.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

First, make sure the ego is tiered up (Tier v). Then Always be overclocking Rime Shark. Compared to the normal version, Overlcocked rime shark adds a ton of sinking and sinking count.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I had a really fun time with Edgar Linton being changed to Linton Edgar so PM could mesh his characterization with Linton Heathcliff's manipulative passive-aggression and weak body. Not that Edgar Linton treats Heathcliff well in the book, he doesn't, but he's also the only one of the trio of men in his generation to loving take a deep breath and be a good father to his child even while grieving. Meanwhile Linton Heathcliff is the one more inclined to lash out at people by deliberately winding them up so they get into trouble, Edgar Linton even as a lovely kid is more of a coward who'll primarily poo poo-talk Heathcliff when he's not around, and Cathy just deals with it by trying to keep Heathcliff and Edgar as separate as possible. It's interesting!

I wonder if him having a brother implies Isabella Linton got genderswapped? Especially because she does leave the Linton family behind like Linton Edgar's older brother left the Edgar family behind, although in her case it was unwisely marrying Heathcliff and then wisely getting the gently caress out of dodge.

This is the first Canto I've read the book it references beforehand so I'm really enjoying myself.

I just need fanart of Cathy in the Beatrice Umineko dress.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 28, 2024

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Samjo's voice pack has him tell you upon doing a big hit that Dongrang is going to reward everyone by taking them out for beef imported from S Corp.

That's a nice touch.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

What chapter's the end of this part of the story?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

PlasticAutomaton posted:

What chapter's the end of this part of the story?

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

PetraCore posted:

I had a really fun time with Edgar Linton being changed to Linton Edgar so PM could mesh his characterization with Linton Heathcliff's manipulative passive-aggression and weak body. Not that Edgar Linton treats Heathcliff well in the book, he doesn't, but he's also the only one of the trio of men in his generation to loving take a deep breath and be a good father to his child even while grieving. Meanwhile Linton Heathcliff is the one more inclined to lash out at people by deliberately winding them up so they get into trouble, Edgar Linton even as a lovely kid is more of a coward who'll primarily poo poo-talk Heathcliff when he's not around, and Cathy just deals with it by trying to keep Heathcliff and Edgar as separate as possible. It's interesting!

I wonder if him having a brother implies Isabella Linton got genderswapped? Especially because she does leave the Linton family behind like Linton Edgar's older brother left the Edgar family behind, although in her case it was unwisely marrying Heathcliff and then wisely getting the gently caress out of dodge.

This is the first Canto I've read the book it references beforehand so I'm really enjoying myself.

I thought of that and I was wondering if Cathy would be merged with the other Cathy as well. as well

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

KobunFan posted:

I thought of that and I was wondering if Cathy would be merged with the other Cathy as well. as well
Her reactions to Linton being manipulative as a kid do seem to somewhat reflect Cathy II's reactions to Linton Heathcliff manipulating her and other people.

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL

PetraCore posted:

I need this in my life holy poo poo

This chapter is already amazing, and I keep going back to this but the voice acting makes the script so much more engaging, even the sillier stuff like
Ishamel twisting Yi Sang's words to friendly but mercilessly dunk on Heatcliff is made so much better by hearing her poo poo eating voice and then having Yi Sang being COMPLETELY DEJECTED by this... This game is so loving funny

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I liked how Heathcliff sounded when he realized that Rodya and Hong Lu actually could give a really comfortable makeover.

I also love how poofy Heathcliff is in his Oufi ID.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EDIT: Also, regarding the new IDs, while Outis' is fun giving us teases such as ULTRA MAID ASSASSIN RYOSHU (and possibly 00 Butler Faust? would fit given she's lower ranked than Outis), Mersault's is interesting in that it finally reveals what the gently caress is up with Bodysack: It was (maybe) Heathcliff's first kill.

the knife throwing maid is absolutely a Ryoshu 00

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yinlock posted:

the knife throwing maid is absolutely a Ryoshu 00

I feel like Maid Ryoshu would be a 000? She's mentioned to be Chief Butler and also might be Nelly's counterpart in the World of Wuthering Heights (since Nelly also left the manor to follow Catherine into the Edgar state). And Outis as Josephine's counterpart is a 000. Granted Mersault was 00 but I feel Faust or someone else is more likely to be the 00.

Also I like the idea of Ryoshu being Heathcliff's nanny, probably involving lots of "DODGE!" practice :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Really loved the Ryoshu advice of " if there are people pissing you off that much, why don't you just kill them". :v:

Also was pretty surprised that she seems to have a soft spot for Heathcliff?

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:

Junpei posted:

Some small notes and moments that might be light foreshadowing for the future of other Sinners or just things I found interesting, but may not be directly plot-relevant to the Canto:

-Outis's watch (the To Pathos Mathos one) is broken. She's touchy about it. Gift from Athena? Penelope? Telemachus?

-Faust says that, quote, "it takes time for me to reach Fausts's specific knowledge" (emphasis mine). That's another piece of the puzzle for the Faust Network Theory.

-Outis notes that the idea of the lightning striking with intent brings back bad memories. Probably the equivalent of Poseidon, given storms were a part of his domain and that Odysseus royally pissed him off being the reason why his voyage takes so long.

-I have no idea why there's a Syndicate named "Addams Family" but that threw me.

-When Ryoshu mentions the Ring that acquired the Dead Rabbits, Ryoshu says it was probably the "Fauvists". "Fauvism" was an art movement from the early 20th century in France.

-M Corp, in addition to the Moonlight Stone that high-level Fixers gild stuff with, also has something called a "Abyss Trauma Correctional Facility". Therapy sounds loving terrifying in the City. Or maybe it's straight-up an insane asylum.

All of this, plus one more thing that stood out to me:

When Ryoshu suggests gouging out people's eyes, Outis immediately remarks on how good a strategy that is. I just thought that was cute.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Wild guess on the rabbits:

Given the indiscriminate kidnappings/violence, the glowing red eyes, and the masks I'm guessing they've been swapped with Sweeper IDs of some kind. There's apparently a glass shattering sound when you beat them which shifts them back to normal so their insides aren't goo when you unmask them.

I feel like Maid Ryoshu would be a 000? She's mentioned to be Chief Butler and also might be Nelly's counterpart in the World of Wuthering Heights (since Nelly also left the manor to follow Catherine into the Edgar state). And Outis as Josephine's counterpart is a 000. Granted Mersault was 00 but I feel Faust or someone else is more likely to be the 00.

Also I like the idea of Ryoshu being Heathcliff's nanny, probably involving lots of "DODGE!" practice :v:

It's possible but there's no character for her to usurp which is usually where seasonal 000s come from. She DID get special mention though so she might be unique, I dunno.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Yinlock posted:

Given the indiscriminate kidnappings/violence, the glowing red eyes, and the masks I'm guessing they've been swapped with Sweeper IDs of some kind. There's apparently a glass shattering sound when you beat them which shifts them back to normal so their insides aren't goo when you unmask them.

It's possible but there's no character for her to usurp which is usually where seasonal 000s come from. She DID get special mention though so she might be unique, I dunno.
The noise is probably this.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yinlock posted:

What do you mean? Given the mention of leaving the Heights to follow a Mistress and being friends with the wayward wolf, she's clearly in Nelly's place.

Something that stood out to me in this section of the Canto is that Nelly and Josephine are clearly loyal to different Mistresses, although Josephine seems ultimately loyal to Wuthering Heights itself as a stand-in to Joseph using God as his battering ram of judgement in the book. Given Josephine is a generation older at the least than Nelly, who still seems of an age with Hindley in Limbus Company, I'm guessing the Mistress Josephine is loyal to is Mrs. Earnshaw, which is interesting because she's such a minor character in the book because she dies when Catherine is... like, 7?

Also, I'm wondering if it's possible that Catherine has already dragged the cast into the Fathoms of her Ego at this point, presumably around the time of the first lightning strike. She's got two Golden Boughs, may have faked her death or used the Boughs to do something else to herself, and it's at the point of the first lightning strike that the cast is moved around and placed to her liking, the environment specifically responds to her will, the diary is legible in the places she wants Heathcliff to read but Linton can't read it, and, most importantly given the modifications she's already made to the Heights, her own memories start getting projectedI. The last is a specific sign of someone resonating with a Bough, right? Maybe she's just sitting in a central room using a bough to direct and her fathoms haven't opened yet, but...

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Yinlock posted:

It's worth noting that the Dead Rabbit panic is called Splitting and shows a brain with a tumor inside it. Seems like the Ring is kidnapping them and implanting them with slave ID mirrors in their skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Still haven't beat ahab, sad lol

Only like two or three failed attempts but I usually spend my time doing my dailies and mirror dungeons

I don't think I can bring Sinkoutis to the fight without restarting the dungeon :negative:Outlet?utis? Outler?

DropTheAnvil posted:

First, make sure the ego is tiered up (Tier v). Then Always be overclocking Rime Shark. Compared to the normal version, Overlcocked rime shark adds a ton of sinking and sinking count.

no Rime Shark is for her Pequod Crew alternate reality

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 29, 2024