Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I assume there's roughly a hundred ways in the City to keep yourself looking young

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

ZeroCount posted:

I assume there's roughly a hundred ways in the City to keep yourself looking young
Time travel, whatever the gently caress L Corp HQ did to their employees, drinking the blood of the innocent, harvesting the body parts of the young to replace the dying parts of your own body, outright stealing someone elses body, that miraculous new facial cream [letter]-corp just released that takes 20 years off your face (and their private death corps brutally kill anyone who learns the horrifying secret behind how they make it)...the list goes on! And each is more existentially horrifying and morally repugnant than the last!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Argalia being in his 40s make everything about him so much funnier.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Man Xiao does not mess around...

Also I’m ashamed of how long it took me to under the “unique” mechanic, it’s the number of individual unique cards played. I thought it was the number of “wish” played :eng99:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

whew, even nerfed bleed still cooks the queen of hatred

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Star of the City continues to be a slog. It kinda sucks how enemies can play the single alpha strike damage cards because they don't care about attrition while they're mediocre on the player side.

Also is unlock-III supposed to revert to unlock-I after I use it? I'm not sure if I'm going crazy but it seems like a really bad card if that's the case.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

WarpedLichen posted:

Also is unlock-III supposed to revert to unlock-I after I use it? I'm not sure if I'm going crazy but it seems like a really bad card if that's the case.

No, but you might be drawing another unlock that you haven't played.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

MetaMeme posted:

No, but you might be drawing another unlock that you haven't played.

Weird.

Ran into another bug in Chesed revelation where my character had a health bar but didn't appear on the map. Basically soft locked because the boss couldn't hurt him but I also couldn't do anything. Popped up at the very end and forced me to redo the entire thing.

I hope the end game is less of a marathon than the revelations, I think 2 acts is plenty.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

WarpedLichen posted:

Weird.

Ran into another bug in Chesed revelation where my character had a health bar but didn't appear on the map. Basically soft locked because the boss couldn't hurt him but I also couldn't do anything. Popped up at the very end and forced me to redo the entire thing.

I hope the end game is less of a marathon than the revelations, I think 2 acts is plenty.

I ran into that same bug when I didn't use the pages for the various forms immediately. They should really require you use them.

As for the marathons... that keeps happening. Another very useful feature for this game would be the ability to save and quite partway through an act.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm on the Binah realization and what's the correct way to handle the Judgement Bird phase gimmick now that I can't use fairy cheese. During the abnormality battle I was stumped so bad trying to do it properly and now I'm still stumped.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Lakbay posted:

I'm on the Binah realization and what's the correct way to handle Judgement Bird phase gimmick now that I can't use fairy cheese. During the abnormality battle I was stumped so bad trying to do it properly and now I'm still stumped.

Just drill it down. Ignore the gimmick. :black101:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
But I got killed by the insta-kill if you have 3 or more sin on your librarians card, am I missing something?? Admittedly I was only working with 3 librarians since it's been months since I did big bird and forgot you could redirect the attack.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 5, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Oh... yeah there's your problem right there. Five people can focus it down in short order.

Three... three has to play the game—luckily in the realization version you can pass the sin along to the birds on either side of the boss, so if you win your clashes and don't let them hit you it won't be able to do too much to you.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
So here's what you do with Judgement Bird.

BLEED. SO MUCH BLEED.

You can literally just ignore all the mechanics and burn it down with Bleed (and if you have Binah in this fight, which I think you should though I'm not sure, Fairy too) it'll basically just run out of HP before you need to meaningfully interact with any of the mechanics.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

GilliamYaeger posted:

So here's what you do with Judgement Bird.

BLEED. SO MUCH BLEED.

You can literally just ignore all the mechanics and burn it down with Bleed (and if you have Binah in this fight, which I think you should though I'm not sure, Fairy too) it'll basically just run out of HP before you need to meaningfully interact with any of the mechanics.

The Realization version is immune to Bleed/Burn/Fairy.

For dealing with old Judgey you want to make it so that the birds have 3 Sin each by turn 2 of the fight. That will buy you enough time to kill him. However it is extremely fragile, a single lost clash and the librarian in question is toast. You can still definitely win though, even if you lose someone important like Nikolai. Just go in expecting to lose someone, and then get really excited when you don't.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://s1.webmshare.com/WqQ3K.webm

woo first try :toot:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Arcvasti posted:

The Realization version is immune to Bleed/Burn/Fairy.

For dealing with old Judgey you want to make it so that the birds have 3 Sin each by turn 2 of the fight. That will buy you enough time to kill him. However it is extremely fragile, a single lost clash and the librarian in question is toast. You can still definitely win though, even if you lose someone important like Nikolai. Just go in expecting to lose someone, and then get really excited when you don't.
Considering that I killed Judgement Bird in the Realisation using DoTs, I know for a fact that it is not immune. You're thinking of Apocalypse Bird, which still isn't completely immune since I killed it with DoTs too.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not for the upload though!!

maybe thats cause I'm on mobile though :v

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

yea idk where to upload webms anymore since my usual site is throwing fits about it and imgur blows them up to 3 times their original size

anyway it's red i beat first try

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

GilliamYaeger posted:

Considering that I killed Judgement Bird in the Realisation using DoTs, I know for a fact that it is not immune. You're thinking of Apocalypse Bird, which still isn't completely immune since I killed it with DoTs too.

Twilight clears all its status effects only while it is in the Judgment Bird Egg phase. Once you kill that, it dies to status like most anything else.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Out of curiosity I checked someone's youtube playthrough of the Realization, and nope the Long Bird phase has a passive called 'Tattered Bandages' that makes it immune to Burn, Bleed and Fairy. Maybe it was changed at some point? I do also know that the normal version isn't and so can be killed hilariously easy with Fairy, but they fixed that for the Realization version.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
You can just unga the realization version though.

Justitia talks mad poo poo for someone with 100 stagger resist and normal resistance to pierce, he doesn't even spam counter dice like JB does in their fight.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

SITB posted:

You can just unga the realization version though.

Justitia talks mad poo poo for someone with 100 stagger resist and normal resistance to pierce, he doesn't even spam counter dice like JB does in their fight.
Oh, that must have been how I won. I basically just used the same pierce-bleed deck for both the Long Bird and Realisation fights and didn't think too hard about it.

It's funny how frequently you barely know anything about what's actually happening in fights beyond unga bunga big number good

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I was stuck on Judgement Bird too until someone in this thread informed me of the forbidden technique known as "just beat the piss out of him"

Theantero posted:

So, the artbook says they kept the identity of the Black Silence vague in the game proper on purpose, but also confirms that yes, it was actually Angelica who was the Black Silence. Out of all the weapons, only Durandal belongs to Roland. Also explains his lackluster performance: guy isn't even a real Color :v:

Which also means he wasn't actually lying about being a Grade 1 Fixer, though he was absolutely bullshitting about how much fighting he did. He's strong enough to 1v1 Argalia and Distortion Argalia anyway so he's definitely no slouch

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 6, 2021

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

GilliamYaeger posted:

Oh, that must have been how I won. I basically just used the same pierce-bleed deck for both the Long Bird and Realisation fights and didn't think too hard about it.

It's funny how frequently you barely know anything about what's actually happening in fights beyond unga bunga big number good

"I have a lot of Power" is, in fact, a very good strat in this game. That's what I did, no debuffs or abnormality combos or whatever, just win clashes and you're golden. Thanks, Kim/Yujin/Nikolai/Iori/etc!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yinlock posted:

Which also means he wasn't actually lying about being a Grade 1 Fixer, though he was absolutely bullshitting about how much fighting he did. He's strong enough to 1v1 Argalia and Distortion Argalia anyway so he's definitely no slouch

Roland is probably also a more dangerous combatant at the end of the game than he was while employed at Charles' Office--I doubt that regular Fixer life involves murderous win-or-die cage matches all day, while that was pretty much all he was doing as a Librarian. By the end he's had a chance to fight against and learn from a pile of other Grade 1s and three Colors.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I've decided that my new hill to die on is that the City is not particularly worse than real life, it's just less subtle. At a systemic level anyway

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ZeroCount posted:

I've decided that my new hill to die on is that the City is not particularly worse than real life, it's just less subtle. At a systemic level anyway

:capitalism:

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Alright everything done up to the point of no return - are there any pages I should farm for before I go for it?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

Alright everything done up to the point of no return - are there any pages I should farm for before I go for it?

Check if you have enough light/draw pages to outfit 4 floors. If you can't, then get farming

Will of The City in particular is easy to fall short on

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 7, 2021

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The R Corp exclusives are easy to forget too. Also, you probably have enough Brace Ups from getting the Hana pages, but almost every deck wants brace up so its worth checking.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarpedLichen posted:

What Star of the City/Impurity key pages do you have, and do you think you have set ups for them?

You don't need these but they'll make your life easier. The final run of fights is honestly not that hard, the bosses in Star of the City are almost universally harder and you can frankly ignore most of their gimmicks.

Xiao with:
-Chi Wen
Jin Ni
-The Crying Children
Chun
Miris

Malkuth's fight needs you to inflict a lot of burn, which these excel at.

Any page with Puffy Brume

Yesod's fight inflicts a lot of smoke

The Purple Tear:
-Venomous Fangs
Laceration
Snake's Prey
-Dong-Hwan, :siren: THE GRADE 1 FIXER :siren:

Hod's the same as Malkuth, just with bleed

3x Serpentine Barrier, Bi An and Ominous power
-You can cheese Hokma's fight with Lean, Bloody Wings.

None of the other fights benefit particularly from setups beyond "good ones", so your life will be easier if you have Olivier, Index Proxies, Nikolai, Kalo and so on.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Yeah, I'm at the same place and I'm hoping I don't run out of steam halfway through a set due to the page-lock mechanic. I didn't expect to have to outfit four floors. I love (endgame spoiler) how the first fight is Philip, Again, even before any of the other characters we've literally only seen once. Everyone in the Blue Reverberation Ensemble has such far-out designs. I think the RECURSIVE SHARK might be my favorite

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah I was mostly afraid of running out of cards to outfit 4 floors but I'm at the last of the 4 and it seems pretty ok so far because each floor has a gimmick you need to learn.

Each fight has taken my multiple tries to figure out said gimmick however, much like the abnormality fights. Cut it real close against both the first two bosses.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RoboCicero posted:

Yeah, I'm at the same place and I'm hoping I don't run out of steam halfway through a set due to the page-lock mechanic. I didn't expect to have to outfit four floors. I love (endgame spoiler) how the first fight is Philip, Again, even before any of the other characters we've literally only seen once. Everyone in the Blue Reverberation Ensemble has such far-out designs. I think the RECURSIVE SHARK might be my favorite

Originally you had to outfit all of them, because gently caress you. That's also why the fights aren't that difficult(though most of them will stonewall you super hard unless you have a team built specifically around whatever dumb gimmick they're packing)

I found them kinda boring to be honest. Mostly because we barely know anything about a lot of them so rather than a fated battle it's more like some random assholes won't get off your lawn. Also final enemy aside their keypages are outstandingly boring and they don't give you any real combat pages to play with

e: didn't read you were still in the middle of it, edited to avoid spoilers on that specifically :v:

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 7, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went over why I wasn't a big fan of them before already, but I will say Rekindled Strike/Blazing Strike clone is pretty fun (if similar to rapid gashes).

I guess they didn't bother since there was only 2 fights after, but... Still.

It feels like it'd serve PM better to stick to a genre for a couple of games so they could get the hang of some of these game design issues they have. Just stuff like "don't have the climatic fight the entire game has been leading to require an entirely different skillset and approach than the entire rest of the game."

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

I went over why I wasn't a big fan of them before already, but I will say Rekindled Strike/Blazing Strike clone is pretty fun (if similar to rapid gashes).

I guess they didn't bother since there was only 2 fights after, but... Still.

It feels like it'd serve PM better to stick to a genre for a couple of games so they could get the hang of some of these game design issues they have. Just stuff like "don't have the climatic fight the entire game has been leading to require an entirely different skillset and approach than the entire rest of the game."

The part that annoys me is that after the finale they dump a crapton of fun pages on you with nothing to use them on, including an entirely new mechanic in Unite. Why not give us these pages after the relevant fights :argh:

I feel like ironing out these issues instead of immediately moving on to another genre for no reason would go against everything PM stands for, though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 7, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Yinlock posted:

I feel like ironing out these issues instead of immediately moving on to another genre for no reason would go against everything PM stands for, though

It would certainly make planning for LPs easier, if nothing else. :v:

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Yinlock posted:

The part that annoys me is that after the finale they dump a crapton of fun pages on you with nothing to use them on, including an entirely new mechanic in Unite. Why not give us these pages after the relevant fights :argh:

True but if they gave you the Unite cards after the relevant fight you still wouldn't have any battles to use them on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's two bosses after that fight as is though..?