Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
I did a day 46 restart because I wanted to rebuild my facility to be more accommodating for the last 5 days. I have cheesed my way past missions so I decided I will cheese my way through the end-game :argh:. Currently on day 49 trying to muster the will to do the penultimate day after the game forced a bullshit abnormality choice on me Don't Touch Me, Nameless Fetus and the Parasite Tree.

As per Aleph suppression I suppressed CENSORED, Melting Love and Mountain Of Smiling Bodies (while also having Blue Star and Nothing There in the facility, but I thought it would be a pain to suppress them).

Ironically enough, suppressing the Silent Orcehstra is a cinch if you have Gebura's upgrade and attack him with 2 agents equipped with Justita; it leaves the abnormality with low enough HP that his second phase dies super quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

Don't Touch Me is absolutely trivial to deal with, the only reason it sucks is that it doesn't benefit you at all. But at day 49 I think you're into trying to survive rather than eke out long-term benefits.

My main problem currently is time wasted, I didn't want to deal with an abnormality that on a misclick would end my run.

I ended up picking Parasite tree which also slows down my attempts but on the other hand is mostly controllable. Now it's just a matter of getting to Meltdown 5 and dealing with the arbiter. At least I have the Backwards Clock as a single use fallback option.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

TeeQueue posted:

Fallback option? I'd recommend using it just before phase 1 is dead so that it times out to take effect right after she does her RESONATE on phase 2 and spawns the meltdowns. Instantly clear the meltdowns, and skip the worst phase in its entirety.

When I previously tried day 49 I used on the first phase because I also had the White Noon at the same time :v:.

Thanks for the tip, next time I will challenge her I know which phase to skip.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Finally done with day 49!

Apparently the trick is to not rely on the rabbit team like I did in the Binah suppression.

Ended up the day with 6 employees dead, 1 to clock (skipping the Arbiter last phase), 2 to pause and one got jumped by Red Fixer while I herded my deathball against the White Fixer. The other two probably got killed by the Arbiter while I didn't notice.

Now I just need to get 100% codex and I can move on to LoR.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

TeeQueue posted:

New patch dropped in Library of Ruina.

Queen of Hatred makes her return, and with it a remix of 2nd warning.

God I can't wait to play it. :allears:

Coincidentally I just finished my 100 percent run and QoH was the last abnormality I had to research.

Can't wait to start LoR.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Catching up to Library or Ruina and had a couple of thoughts:

1) Gun-logic how the hell does it work? I repeated the QoH fight like 7+ times simply because the pages clashing was super erratic. It was even more infuriating given how the first fight ended with QoH having 1 HP, so if I knew how it worked I could have won on the first try.

2) Speaking of guns, I accidentally cheesed Pinocchio by giving Roland a gun deck, which meant that Pinocchio ended up without any cards to play or use for his lying gimmick.

3) The grind can be awful, I fought SSJ Philip for 5 times and despite burning so many Oscar books I haven't got the Oscar key page, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that only his key page had Sparkling Spear. The same goes for Sayo-specific pages too, but I got far luckier there. Limiting the key pages of Objet d'art is excusable, but normal pages being double gated is annoying.

4) I think I am near the end content of the current patch? So far the only fight I haven't beaten is the circus.

Can't wait to see the chad murderer and the A stan finally appearing in LoR.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Chinely posted:

One thing to make sure you do is not immediately knock people out if you're grinding. They need to be emotional, then they'll drop multiple copies of their own book. You are also near the end (for now!).

Ranged cards have unique mechanics. They start INSTANTLY, without waiting for people to move, and red dice count as evasion dice (as in, you can block multiple dice rolls with a single red dice if you roll well). I don't think the abnormalities ranged cards are discarded either, or if they are they have a lot of them.

ALSO, new patch might have been what caused it. They seem to have made it so, instead of the old way where the last higher speed dice card you try to clash on is the one that actually clashes, instead the highest speed roll is the one that gets clashed against. Old rules apply on speed dice of the same number. I could be wrong, though.

Thanks for the clarification, my biggest problem was with the clashing mechanic being super erratic.

The abnormalities own unique cards are permanent, but the abnormality that has the gimmick of fully copying your deck copies the exhaust mechanic.

Though, is there a limit to the amount of books you can get from a single fight? Like if I fight Oscar is the max amount of books he drops when killed is fixed? Also, in regards to dodge, it seems that if you roll close enough to the dodge roll it is still spent even though you haven't surpassed it, what's the limit then?

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

Even with Oscar's page, I got absolutely trounced. I probably could have better decks for my other characters but the game is really not kidding around. The worst part of losing it that it requires Sweeper books so you have to do that scenario all over again :negative:.

Don't you have like a dozen Sweeper books? I had like 42 when I started.

Got dunked on with my Shi+GUN floor twice, and won with Malkuth's power hour (Olga, Oscar, Geyong-Mi and Salvador). Apparently the trick was to let them wail on one librarian and then use one side attacks to stagger one of them and repeat (admittedly it helped I got the Display of Affection to proc and had the Oscar librarian stall two guests by their lonesome).

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Alectai posted:

So, currently chopping through Ruina and I'd like some build advice as to how I can make my dudes fight better. I'm just recently into the Urban Legend tier and defeated the first three Receptions, but now that it's branched out in two directions I'm finding myself hitting a brick wall in each side, because their numbers are just bigger than mine.

Is there any rule of thumb stuff I missed out on that can get me back on the curve?

I am poo poo at deck building so I used a steam guide (or this) to get past the initial hump by cobbling something to get the better pages. In general though, do you use Mar's page/Walter Page/etc or other purple/orange key pages? They have better resistances and HP/Stagger generally and Mar's and Walter's pages specifically have two speed dice, also fully leveling key pages to 30 so they have more HP and stagger resistance is a good idea.

E-Endure (gotten from the iron brotherhood) is a good defensive page for where you are at, since block dice reduce damage even if you lose and if you win clashes it paralyses the opponent weakening them next round, Lulu's "Set Fire" is also consistent damage, though it harms self if you win clash so it's better for quick fights that last a single act like the Molar reception.

Building a bleed floor is possible too since the prototype version involves using Jack and Pierre pages to punish people who use pages with a lot of dice in them (like the Molar office or the Stray Dogs), though you probably want to switch to better key pages than Jack or Pierre with their obsolete resistances (though you don't necessarily have too, IIRC I used them because I didn't look at the resistances). The deck being comprised of Thirst, Cooking Prep, Keep It Fresh (for the evade dice), one of Cruelty and one of I can Cook Anything.

If you have a problem of key pages with lovely resistances there's a way to get a purple key page with no weaknesses, you can also send 'random' invites to get non-plot guests to beat up. Send an invite with Walter, Isadora and Julia books and beat up the guests to get at least one "Book of a Grade 8 Fixer", and then send an invite composed of Walter, Grade 8 Fixer and Distortion book and the resulting guests have a chance to drop "Book of a Grade 7 Fixer" which can drop the key page "Fixer Page 7 Part 3" when burned. ignore this, you can just send an invite of the Distortion and Lobotomy books and fight grade 7 Fixers that way. Beat them and burn the "Book of a Grade 7 Fixer" to get the key page "Fixer Page 7 Part 3".

EDIT: Also, remember that if you kill a guest you get their drop even if you lose. So if you can only kill Olga and die you can still get her book and by extension her key page and the Molar office's cards.

SITB fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 9, 2020

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Chinely posted:

Hm I think it'd be a bit likely, as the Road Home kind of fits Angela, and the last abnormality seems to be going for a more Angela-tilt, what with Snow White's Apple being the Malkuth one.

LoR:

You'd need 5 abnormalities for a full floor and there are currently 4, if so we'd get at least one new one. Either the Wizard of Oz, the Wicked Witch or Toto.

EDIT: I just saw the patch changes,

They really changed the cards mechanics. Maybe now there's a reason not to not build all your decks as singletons, since they gave Charge an actual card drawing mechanic.

SITB fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 24, 2020

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Aumanor posted:

Holy gently caress, Nothing There REALLY doesn't want to let you use it as a training abnormality.

Anyone got anything to say about -96? I'm picking between it and -104 and leaning towards the latter, but it'd be good to know that I'm not skipping something amazing.

Not actively awful is how I'd describe -96. I'd pick it over a bunch of worse tools but 104 is the best tool in the game.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
They updated the fight after adding it too.

The buffed up fight is kind of hot nonsense. Why certainly, having 4 chaff dropping Transpierce equivalent before moving on to the actual main fight while being forced to use only one floor is good and cool.

I won with Yesod's Unga Bunga floor build, but the current fight is seems too swingy now.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
New update with Yesod's new abnormality.

The new suppression is pretty goddamn tough at the last battle, I won by the skin of my teeth. Only a single librarian with Tenma's key page that had 17 HP stood at the end, but Unga Bunga deck remains supreme.

Also a new mechanic with EGO synchronization?

EDIT: Also reusable EGO pages are now a thing, even if it's currently a win harder button.

SITB fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 28, 2020

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

PlasticAutomaton posted:

New Library fight is mostly fine except for that one part that is either bugged and doesn't work properly right now, or is complete RNG bullshit.

The fact that Angela can wipe out your entire team on turn 3 of the Funeral phase if you don't have the luck of her using one certain attack on turns 1 and 2 is enough to make me say gently caress that fight. If she uses it, you can jump her as intended and it folds as easily as the suppression. If she doesn't, she just uses her super attack, staggers your entire team if you didn't feeble her, and takes out at least one of your team right then and there, while critically wounding the rest.

I found the Der Freischütz phase the toughest, went from 4 librarians with high HP to one at death's door, though it could be because I didn't fight it properly.

The Funeral phase super attack only staggered Yesod, who was then erased by her followup attack that only hit one person with 8 rolls? I agree that it seems that this phase is kinda bugged, though I fought it immediately after it was released before the two hot fixes were released so maybe they changed something.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
New LoR update, Geburah second abnormality battle (thankfully far easier than the first), a new invitation and a nerf to musical addiction.

Also a new Mili song.

I struggle to think how you can win this battle without using Yesod's EGO pages (either Solemn Lament or regret) to delete the boss stagger bar.

Poor Philip though, he was on the cusp of self-actualization and then Oswald shat all over him.

EDIT: They really nerfed Musical Addiction, only after using it I noticed that now it doesn't target all allies.

SITB fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 4, 2020

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
I just won the Hod realization fight while tossing something ridiculous like 65 stacks of bleed without using the Sanguine Desire EDIT: Obsession EGO page, I now get why people complain that bleed is ridiculously powerful.

Possibly it's less useful when fighting multiple enemies that mostly toss around defensive dice.

(Also the combination of Gin and Yang's passives makes every slash card a bleed card).

SITB fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 25, 2020

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

nabo posted:

Looking for Tips N' Tricks re: Lobotomy Corp Lategame (day 46+) SPOILERS i got a bunch of questions, basically trying to figure out how badly i can cheese this :v:

- Do days 46-49 work as core suppresions? i.e. if i push to beat say days 46 and 47 at any cost and then reset do they become normal days?

- How badly can i abuse Backward Clock? I'm planning to use it to skip white dusks (that's 3x fixer right?) and/or noon depending on the day.

- On that note, for the Gebura day: can i like, take two lvl 5 agents and a bunch of scrubs, deal with the first ordeal, backward clock the second and then hide my lvl 5 on the shelter and go take a nap for a hassle-free win? I should mention i have lost all semblance of honor at this point, just kinda want to beat the game.

- Any tips on dealing with the claw and the arbiter?

- Finally, if all is lost and i just reset to day 1 to properly prepare... recommendations?

- OH, and i'm at 95% codex: if i beat day 50 and then farm up the remaining entries that counts for the true ending right? like i don't have to beat day 50 again?

I feel like i should mention that i took a four month break from this game and it shows :v: i barely know my facility right now and i'm kinda remembering the routine i had settled into. Might just do a final day 1 reset anyway, but i'm still curious how cheesable this is.

Thanks! :shobon:

I can answer a couple of these questions:

I'm pretty sure that days 46-50 never become normal days.

I used Backwards Clock to skip Dusk of White, so it works.

And lastly, if you beat day 50 then you only need to get 100% codex and go to the main screen, no need to do day 50 again.

I'd postface my answers with the acknowledgment that when I played I did all the core suppressions, farmed abnormalities for a bit and then went to day one to build a facility geared towards passing days 46-50 that only chose abnormalities based on how easy they are to handle. So my experience with the late game is skewed, especially because I could just focus on developing my agents stats on the winning run. Like, dealing with the claw was just death-balling him with 20 agents with ALEPH/WAW gear and those agents being part of the extraction/disciplinary squads.

By contrast I fought the Arbiter by actually pausing and executing the agent who panicked (since unlike in Hokma suppression only 1 agent panics instead of 3), also unlike in Binah's suppression you can still get meltdown in the Extraction team so Rabbit Team isn't useful since you need all your departments unblocked to clear the meltdowns (unless the Arbiter strolls down to Keter).

Also take the win on day 49 whatever it takes, day 50 has no meltdowns or ordeals so you can lose all your agents in day 49 and still pass day 50 (since wining day 49 gives you a minimum of 20 LOB points).

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Solitair posted:

Well, initially my reason for not wanting to attack her is not wanting to trigger her attacks, get my agents killed and add more meltdowns to my plate. I don't know if I can attack her from behind to avoid triggering the key or fairy at all; she'll probably just turn around instead. But you made me realize that maybe I can just trap her in one department with the Rabbits and hope that no meltdowns spawn in that department.

When you are doing Meltdown Suppressions the department that is vacated will never get any meltdowns, so you can just call the Rabbit team immediately before she leaves because Extraction won't have any meltdowns.

SITB fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 14, 2020

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

Finished all currently available content in LoR, bar some grinding for a few key pages I've missed. What a great game.

Some mechanics questions:

1)Der Freischütz's E.G.O. is a placeholder card, yes?

2)The generic Librarian cards are all blank, except for Gebura's, which seems to have a bunch of hidden/locked/greyed-out passives. Another placeholder for a future update where dept. head Key Pages are actually a special option?

3)Yujin 's Key Page has a bunch of positive/negative traits (like all of Shi), is there any way to deal with the negatives (like the "This card has 3 Speed die, but one is always locked" one) or is that just the Shi Association gimmick through and through? Like, is there any way to get any extra use out of the -2Str/+3Str passive?

e.: earlier in the thread I asked a couple of lore questions and was told I'd find out the answers during gameplay. I'm don't think either of my questions was really answered (unless the answer is in the fluff part of a Key page, which I might have overlooked) so I'll just quote the post:

1) Yes, the scuttlebutt was that Synchronization was a mechanic that wasn't finished yet.

2) Yes I think, though only Geburah (and I assume Binah) will have passives as head librarians.

3) Part of the Shi gimmick I'm afraid, though you can give Yujin's 3 speed dice slot to someone since the speed slot being unavailable is tied to another passive.

This is more the realm of speculation than actual facts:

4) Well, I assume that the Full Stop Office thought that if they ran away they would just get killed by Argalia, same for the Kurokumo clan and Tanya. But in general, I don't think that people can escape unless the library allows them? All the people who escaped were used as bait to reel even more people so Angela can find her one perfect book.

5) I don't think that it was ever stated that people can be un-book'd, on the other hand the invitation does promise your heart's desire and who knows what the Light can do?

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Narsham posted:

Trip report on fighting the Birdemic:
Thought I was going to have to wait for TeeQueue to show how it's done in the LP after several disastrous attempts, but I had an idea this morning for an approach and managed it with 0 casualties.
1. I identified the small number of abnormalities I did not want to see meltdown. All my Alephs happened to be in two hallways, so it was really easy to monitor those and I left some employees nearby to dart in if necessary (although I mostly got lucky, plus the faster you kill eggs the fewer meltdowns get triggered).
2. I had two doomstacks, one up top and one in Disciplinary outside the main room. Everyone in the stack closest to Long Bird's egg got dispatched to destroy it first. Since you do very little Pale damage, its healing effects don't really kick in and you can murder it pretty fast.
3. Once that egg is dead and you can pause again, you can dispatch kill teams to one or both of the other eggs that do only the appropriate types of damage. Managing critical meltdowns and dodging the Birb become much easier, too.
4. Obviously, if the Birb pays a visit to a room when you're killing an egg, pull out temporarily.
5. You can either deal with other breaching abnormalities after it's over, or send any employees who didn't get sent after eggs because of their damage types.

I am now nearly at endgame, but only have 98% unlocked abnormalities (two to go). Anyone have any advice about whether to Day 1 reset now, or press ahead? Is the experience of working through the endgame and then having to do it again going to be better or worse than slogging through it twice?

Press ahead.

After you finished the game once you don't need to finish it again after getting 100% codex, the true ending starts after you go back to the start screen.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Latest LoR update: Godamn is the last phase in the realization is great, it was even more nail biting for me because I had 2 of my nuggets die beforehand so remaining three had to fight 3 times as hard to pick the slack.

I think that for the rest of the Briah realizations we'd get Roland suppression (Roland was already shown to butt heads with Chesed so that's an easy guess to make), but what would the Atziluth be? Maybe Binah suppression and Hokma suppressions?

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Thoughts on Lob Corp/LoR

The thing about the light that it isn't just a method to grant everyone EGO. It's repeatedly stated that no one in the City holds hope for the future and are just willing to perpetuate the status quo no matter how lovely it is because they are afraid of rocking the boat and ignoring the results of their own actions because 'that's that, and this is this'. The Light was meant to spur people to hope for bring on a better future and also give them EGOs so they wouldn't be trivially crushed by the Head and the rest of the Wings; and given how powerful individual people can be giving people power to stand for themselves is probably an intrinsic part of people having hope again.

Carmen's fault (and to a much greater extent Ayin) is the whole One Sin and a Hundred Good Deeds that have led her to be willing to sacrifice other people in the name of saving the world. Which led to Angela hijacking the Light for her own purposes because of the all the poo poo that she had suffered, which if she continues in her current trajectory will be hijacked by Roland for the same reasons (who will be usurped again by the victims he created and so on and so forth).

To echo the other posters, the people who push the whole 'caring about other people is bad' are people to internalized it to protect themselves from the callousness of the city. Roland is the spearhead of such views and he is biased as gently caress and not interested in examining his own motivations (which Binah roasts him about). His advice and counsel to Angela is also biased along the same lines which can be seen by his bad advice in the second R Corp post battle scene juxtaposed with him asking if Angela feels guilty for all those people who died because of the distortions at the post battle scene in the Red Mist reception.

EDIT: Specifically, when he asserts that Myo suffering being possibly greater than Angela doesn't invalidates Angela's suffering he is 100% correct. When he uses it to dismiss Myo's suffering as not mattering because only you can understand the difficulties that you have encountered he is 100% wrong.

Roland: You shouldn't care about other people suffering and maintain a detached attitude.
Also Roland: Don't you feel guilty for all the lives you inadvertently taken (my wife among them)?

SITB fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 29, 2020

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

Thing is, it seems such a consistent beat that to me it feels like it transcends the text and becomes subtext; even if everyone who has that pov has legitimate reasons to feel that way or are super traumatized or whatever (and I don't think they all do, Kali caring about her neighbors seemed selfless, for example) if it's a consistent thing across lots of characters it, uhhh, starts to read a little differently to me. idk

From your post idk how up to date you are on LoR stuff so if you want to see stuff yourself please skip my reply here:
I'm pretty sure it's been explicitly laid out in a convo with Angela in the last maybe two or three LoR updates that Carmen did, in fact, just want to arm everyone with E.G.O. so they could just, idk, live out a literal No Gods No Kings No Masters scenario.

I'm... Hrm I'm really not sure about that read on Philip though ofc I'll be more than happy to accept it when we hit the relevant points in the LP and a lot of people echo it, but my point was to use him as another example of "caring for others" being framed negatively, which even if he was doing stuff out of a kind of selfish cowardice still tracks with what I'm saying. I'd not really treat anything Oswald does or says as evidence tho, he does NOT seem like a reliable source especially given that he probably wanted to distort or twist Philip when they first encounter one another.

Much like with my reply to Theantero I'm not sure you're up to date with LoR, which is why I flagged my original post as both, so please take care here;
I'm pretty sure it's been explicitly laid out in a convo with Angela in the last maybe two or three LoR updates that Carmen did, in fact, just want to arm everyone with E.G.O. so they could just, idk, live out a literal No Gods No Kings No Masters scenario.

As for the rest I can kinda' see what you (and lets hang out) are saying, but I feel like I could have sworn that the individualistic beat I alluded to is something that comes up fairly consistently across the games, LoR in particular. I'll try to keep better track of instances of it when the LP ticks over to that game, again, I could be way off base.

LoR:

I am up to date with the latest LoR content and I think that reducing Carmen's motivation to 'no gods no kings no masters' is wrong and I feel the current Briah storylines supports my point. The entire Tiphereth storyline revolves talking about the 'disease of the mind' that Carmen worked to cure and the pre-realization scene was specifically about the hope/expectation for the future to be better and Roland rebuking her about this being nonsense (and remember that Roland himself acknowledged earlier in a Tiph scene that he probably suffers from that disease of the mind too). And we do know that the Light is represented by people having actual hopes and dreams because, IIRC, Angela told that's what the Library wants to extract from the guests who were invited to the Library.

Angela does state that if the Light shined on for the full seven days everyone will gain EGO, but that was in relation to her culpability in the 'White Nights and Dark Days' where she states that people becoming Distortions is due to her meddling, I don't think it was ever implied to be the most important or sole effect, and we have Angela herself understanding more and more what Carmen/Ayin sought to cure with it being aimlessness/dispirited nature of the City by seeing all those vignettes of people.

RE Philip: Philip concern for others was self-serving as him trying to at least take pride that he is a righteous individual to excuse his cowardice; this isn't even subtext, Philip himself states it before resolving to be better and being rewarded by gaining his EGO (and then loving it up immediately once he exited the library because holding on the conviction to change yourself for the better is hard, even before Oswald interfered).

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

TeeQueue posted:

but does she also have brown hair and red eyes? I'm nowhere near caught up on DD to be fair.

According to people who read DD, yes.

Also it can't be Carmen because she was busy being dead at the time. Ayin only started trying to found Lobotomy Corporation after he captured Garion and extracted all the information about how to becom a Wing and avoid the attention of the Head from her.

SITB fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 30, 2020

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Do they ever elaborate more on the Tree of Light thing or was it like instrumentality from Eva or brainwashing or something? It sounded pretty hosed up to "cure human minds", like a supervillain plot or something.

Roland seems to be sus but none of the Sephirah seem to have any doubts.

The entirety of Lob Corp was gathering the seed of light, the Sephirah know what's inside of it.

"The Will to Stand up Straight", "The Hope to Be a Better Person" etc.

Angela is dismissive of it because she hates Ayin and wants to destroy all that he has wrought plus her assimilating the City's FYGM attitude due to Roland's influence.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Yinlock posted:

I don't think she was specifically programmed to love him, I'm guessing it's overlap with Carmen's memories + going insane from a million years of time fuckery

also yeah the final fights aren't usually that hard as long as you've learned how to use light regen and page draw in your decks

there's exceptions of course (gebura)

Ayin is also her creator who immediately spurned her, I'm pretty sure it's mostly about parental love more than anything; Benjamin trying to console Angela and helping her think that Ayin could accept her didn't help either.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Yinlock posted:

Realization Judgement Bird is a huge butt, mess up one clash and like half your team dies :(

Just unga it.

He has normal resistance to pierce and only 100 stagger, you can easily one turn stagger him if you focus attack him.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Binah realization is low-key a showcase of why Identify Weakpoint is a good card.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
IIRC Jester is scripted to target the corresponding magical girl in each phase.

Did you have the Magical Girl of Love accidently redirect attacks?

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Though with the change to the rest of the Shi pages, running Valentine's key page with single dice pages to deal with Knight of Despair is viable.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Grinding enough pages for 45 decks strikes me as a particularly unfun experience though, especially with how book burning works now.

Even if key pages were locked to the floor that used them, PM should have let players empty the decks of every librarian regardless.

SITB fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 27, 2021

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
IIRC you only need the library at level 48 to reach Impuritas which doesn't actually require any realization.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Angela getting to kick Ayin and Carmen in their big dumb faces would be nice.

Why would it happen though? In the good ending Angela shined the light on the city almost completely (Roland pulled her out so she didn't disappear with it), Ayin's goal (and by extension Carmen's) was reached.

Maybe you could have a bit about putting Carmen out of her misery as a nervous system that was complicit in Ayin's deeds without the ability to act for those 10,000 years, but trying her on all the suffering caused by her actions post Lob Corp feels immensely hypocritical given Angela's actions and all the bodies that she left in her wake.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I suspect Carmen's goal either has changed or never was as good as people were hoping for. She's just too strange, too perfect, and the parallels with White Night are too appropriate for me to be convinced of anything else with the information we have now.

I also would take a bet she wants Angela's body or something, considering I can't figure why Angela would be turning human otherwise.

I mean, she was the one the gave the OK to Enoch to participate in the life threatening experiment despite being a child and even the original Lob Corp was incredibly sketchy (either Forsaken Murderer history actually happened or it's an allegory for the poo poo that has happened, either way proto-Lob Corp has skeletons in its past). Carmen was never perfect, people just wanted to believe in her ideals and dreams so much they whitewashed her.

(Also Ayin was her immediate successor and was a scapegoat of sorts because how a lot of the awful stuff was ramped up once he was in charge)

Carmen could have changed in the interim, but if the ending ends up vilifying Carmen while glorifying Angela it would be pretty gross given how Angela is just as complicit in everything that happened and before the current ending was on the path of being literally a worse version of Ayin, and if one act is enough to wash away all her sins then Ayin should have been similarly exonerated.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Angela literally choose to build the library and recommit all of Ayin's sins. As for being a victim, who isn't in the City? That was the point of Roland's entire arc, everyone is both a victim and a preparator; and as the second RRR reception pointed out it's not like Angela can claim that no one has suffered as much as she has.

And as for trying to do the right thing, Carmen from the start wanted to save humanity while Angela spent most of the game determined to extract her revenge on Ayin (and to a lesser extent on the City). Also, in the bad ending Angela got the One Book that gave her all the information she said she wanted so it's not like Angela is somehow free of greed or was tricked by Carmen.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
I mean, Carmen gave Angela the idea to build the library by telling her it will give her what she wanted and then Angela wholeheartedly built it and went "ha ha yes yes more books" while repeatedly reviving people, driving them to emotional extremes and killing them again. Saying that it's mostly Carmen's fault is just downplaying Angela's complicity in the whole thing, especially when you compare to Ayin who did the same thing for better reasons and gets rightfully slammed for his actions.

Sure, Angela in the end choose to do the right thing and break the cycle a second time; but having Carmen as the big villain is just whitewashing all of Angela's actions.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Knight of Despair has done nothing wrong, ever, in her life. :colbert:

Angela is 100% percent cognizant of the suffering she has caused. She dresses it as "my system is fair, actually (ignore the fact that all the guests are pre-booked please)" but Angela is actually taking revenge on the City for her suffering. It was mentioned in Hokma's realization that she resents the Sefirot* and in one of the post receptions convos (The Liu branch IIRC? Post Red Mist actually) on how she is glad that the Distortions appear and gently caress poo poo up rather than let power go into the hands of 'unworthy' people and in this update she mentioned how she wanted to to be recompensed for her suffering. That's why her choice to spread the Light instead of taking it for herself is so powerful, because she abandons her grudge against the City**.

EDIT: Her wanting to release the abnos comes from a place of kinship/sympathy as other beings that were carelessly created by Ayin and then discarded once they have outlived their usefulness.

*And also yearns for their friendship.
** The parallels between her and Ayin were pretty on the nose for this update. Like in general you had Ayin : Angela :: Angela : Roland, but she literally choose to atone by spreading the Light across the City and intending to disappear with it. Except that she didn't personally hate Roland and choose to deny him any and all closure, so instead of getting dunked on Roland saved her by not letting her be subsumed by the Light.

SITB fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 11, 2021

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

TeeQueue posted:

actually wait. wait.

waaaait.

couldn't she have just use the lighted copies to beat over and over to get infinite copies of the books a la red mist while letting the original get out with the book they came for, in order to get what she wants while only sowing suffering among things she created for the purpose of suffering, thereby at least meaning she's being... as small of a dick as possible?

:psyduck: ow my head.

Would the right people walk into the Library knowing that after they get the secret they wanted someone else could get their own secrets? The Library works as a temptation because people think they can get away with it and get what they want with no strings attached if they win (unknowing that the game is rigged).

BisbyWorl posted:

That'd probably be waaaaaaaaaaay too much of an Ayin plan for her liking, considering her history.

That's already what happens though. The grind for pages/books is Angela repeatedly reviving guests, heightening their emotions and killing them.

SITB fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 11, 2021

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

MotU posted:

Then how did Philip run away and the device Oscar put on him to teleport out work? Why is Angela surprised when Hokma tells her that people aren't dead? Why is it such a huge deal when Angela creates the Red Mist, since before then only people physically in the Library could be fought? There are a ton of plot holes to this theory that she was aware of it all along

Angela wasn't surprised when Hokma asked her about why she keeps all the guests in stasis though? She just couldn't answer why she didn't commit to either killing them or releasing them.

Fundamentally, before her choice to forgive Roland Angela is just acting as any other member of the City. Roland literally calls both himself and Angela "A dimwitted egoist whose sight is limited by their own selfishness- A proper fool chasing after immediate results-" because they have basically acted the same way, which is why the good ending is not wholly reliant on Angela forgiving Roland but also on Roland forgiving her. Roland hurt countless others in his desire for vengeance and the game draws a direct parallel between his and Angela's actions; it would be pretty cheap if Roland gets condemned for his actions but Angela doesn't despite the game stating that they are functionally the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Theantero posted:

I do find it interesting how PM just goes all over the place wrt the genres of their games, yeah. I kinda like it, but it does sort of pose the challenge of keeping people hooked throughout the series since not everything appeals to everybody. Personally, I'll be back just because I'm probably too invested in the setting for my own good, but still.

As per the second point: I'd actually argue this makes total sense. Both the Arbiter and the Claw were strong, but just looking at their cards they aren't unbeatably strong. But we already know that: The Red Mist by herself canonically killed two Claws and mortally wounded an Arbiter in a facility filled with rampaging abnormalities. The thing with them though, is that they don't fight fair (I believe this is canonically stated by Roland during a cutscene, but I can't actually recall where exactly he said it). Here the Arbiter comes to the Library all 'I did it 35 minutes ago' style, where the Head's main plan is already underway and without us in any position to stop it even if we wanted to. And more than that, they only initiated combat where our ability to fight back was severely limited enough that we couldn't realistically win, even though the Arbiter and Claw by their lonesome probably wouldn't rank that high in difficulty when compared to other stuff we've so far seen.

Per the second point: Baral actually parries Greater Split Vertical if you try to use it on him, which lends credence to Binah's assertion that she could have defeated Kali if she knew of EGO beforehand :v:. With Zena throwing around an exceedingly large amount of power nulls and dice recycle destroyers I think it does show that they are actually hot poo poo, albeit beatable.

The ending is pretty happy all thing considered, though I do feel bad for the Keter nuggets who sat out the last 5 receptions; feels kinda bad that you couldn't use the floor for such a long time and it didn't get theme 3 variation or EGO pages.