Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

And General Works just being incomplete forever would feel wrong.[/spoiler]

Originally the Black Silence fight was the Keter Realization. That's why it has so many phases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

It didn't grant EGO or abnormality pages, mind.

Yeah, not that you need them since it's the end of the game! Keter EGO pages are profoundly useless.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I like the Keter Realization that they added but it cannot be denied that it makes the pacing of the ending much, much worse.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I disagree that keeping the pagelock would have made the Ensemble gauntlet more fun. Sure it was more difficult but only in a time-consuming and frustrating way. It doesn't really present an additional challenge beyond a grinding requirement, that you must have this many keypages to ride. The actual problem with that long series of fights is that the battle system just isn't very good at presenting a boss-rush, not one after the other in separate fights like that. The fights just take too long to do!
This is why the Distorted Ensemble is way more fun.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Oh yeah for sure they could have stood to have made some of those fights spicier. And I guess they did a little, actually, since Roland's big nerf is apparently purely for the sake of making the Olivier and Argalia duels harder.
Honestly I wish there'd been some more content between the Hana and the Uninvited Guests. Like, does anyone actually get use out of Hokma and Binah's EGO pages? By the time you get them, the only fights left to use them on is the endgame cavalcade.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Netzach is the strongest floor in the earlygame and half of the midgame IMO. He hard falls off late but there's no reason to tell new players to avoid him until then.

EDIT: Also, Library seems to be getting review-bombed on Xbox with a bunch of weird reviews talking about American politics for some reason. Project Moon can't catch a break with this stuff.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 13, 2021

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

Binah
Binah herself is the most obvious draw of this floor - while her deck could be better, Fairy is an incredible status effect that will absolutely annihilate the health of anything she goes up against. Her Abnormality pages are also pretty good, with a variety of useful effects and a powerful Exodia setup that's much easier to achieve than Tiphereth's, which also makes the hardest fight in the game a fuckton easier if you manage to pull it off. Her Justicia EGO is also really good against bosses and incredibly cheap for an EGO.

You can't use Binah's floor for the Keter Realisation though? :v:

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

For the record, I think Tiph is like a full tier below every other Floor. Keter and Netz have good earlygame uses. It is never good to use Tiph at all, at any stage in the game.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Looking back on some of the earlier scenes again, it's very funny to me that Angela crafted a special environment for every Abnormality, one where its needs were perfectly met...and then went 'oh I need to preserve the Agents as well' and just dumped every Lobcorp employee into the Abnormality realms at random, presumably to be tortured indefinitely until you befriend that Abnormality and pull them out.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

TeeQueue posted:

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Abnormalities are kind of protecting the employees? I have no idea where this is from and don't know if it's true at all, but that's kind of cute if true.

I believe Angela mentions something along the lines of the employees being 'trapped under the Abnormality's spell' in the Bloodbath preamble. A statement that could mean a lot of things, I suppose, though it makes me think of the hypnotised employees you can see in the Singing Machine or Blue Star fight. Maybe that's why there are three Scarecrows or two Shy Looks in their respective fights. Maybe that's why the 'Bloodbath' you fight is a humanoid figure while the actual Bloodbath is the stage.

I can't go check right now though because, bizarrely, I think the Bloodbath preamble might be the only conversation that you can't find in the Credenza. It's not tied to any main story event and it's *before* an Abnormality fight, not after, so it doesn't count as a Patron Librarian story either.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 22, 2021

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Yinlock posted:

(pour one out for blunt which every boss resists for some reason)

that's what dark flame is for

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Yinlock posted:

as an aside I hope we get a lobcorp version of that abnormality some day, it sounds hilarious to die to

I'd love a LobCorp mod that adds all the Abnormalities from LoR. Imagine having to deal with a Crying Children breach.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Marluxia posted:

Wasn't the reasoning for the light seed project to unlock the potential of humanity or whatever?

What's to say an individual turning into a monstrous abomination isn't that individual unlocking their potential?

https://imgur.com/a/p7CKlFJ

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

Hazarding a guess as to what's going on, that is probably because you're increasing the average by removing a variable. An enemy squad at Emotion Levels I, II, III, III and IV would register as being at II on the top counter, but if you kill the enemy at Emotion Level I the counter at the top will jump to III even though nothing else has changed. If one or two enemies get bumped up a level by the kill it's very possible they'll seem to rocket straight up to IV as well.

Yeah. it works like this for the player's side as well, which is why you can get multiple Abno/EGO pages all at once after a librarian carks it.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

The new modding tool PM released lets you make all kinds of fun and interactive custom receptions.

Roland's having the time of his life!

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

On one hand it's nice that LoR has a small group of twitch regulars who'll watch and encourage anyone doing a stream about it. On the other hand, it's unfortunate that at least half of them are insufferable.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

AweStriker posted:

This has brought me to the Binah realization, a marathon, drawn-out battle I... did not win.

Welcome to the instakill parade

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

lets hang out posted:

Hope Watson and co. get a chance to continue with their second pass on Ruina's English script, the early parts of the game read a lot smoother now. Not that I'm criticizing their work, I know they were on an insane schedule every week between the game updates and wonderlab and everything else.

Same. The Xiao stuff in particular struck me as needing a bit of a look-over.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

So uh, quick question:

[Spoilers for entire game]

Is Roland ACTUALLY the Black Silence? When Olivier hands him the armory-gloves he doesn't say 'here's your gloves', he says 'the gloves of the Black Silence'. And then later, in the duel with Argalia, he implies that the gloves belong to Angelica and that he finds it 'putrid' that Roland is wearing them. Additionally, during the actual Roland reception, when you get to see him and Angelica fight side by side, she's the one using the actual Black Silence cards. Roland is just using 'combo' versions designed to work together with hers. Plus the Angelica puppet seems to still have Black Silence cards inherently, without the need of any special item gimmick like Roland had to use.

None of the characters who personally know Roland (Olivier, Astolfo, Argalia, Iori, etc) ever actually call him the Black Silence or refer to him as a Color. The only people who do are people like the Musicians of Bremen (when Meow is recounting the Pianist), who don't have any reason to actually know this poo poo.

So is the actual officially graded Black Silence Angelica and Roland is just her Grade-1 husband?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Theantero posted:

So, the artbook says they kept the identity of the Black Silence vague in the game proper on purpose, but also confirms that yes, it was actually Angelica who was the Black Silence. Out of all the weapons, only Durandal belongs to Roland. Also explains his lackluster performance: guy isn't even a real Color :v:

Oh, nice! So Roland is just the City's second-strongest Wife Guy. (The strongest Wife Guy is Kali whenever she's talking about Carmen).

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I assume there's roughly a hundred ways in the City to keep yourself looking young

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I've decided that my new hill to die on is that the City is not particularly worse than real life, it's just less subtle. At a systemic level anyway

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Yinlock posted:

The part that annoys me is that after the finale they dump a crapton of fun pages on you with nothing to use them on, including an entirely new mechanic in Unite. Why not give us these pages after the relevant fights :argh:

True but if they gave you the Unite cards after the relevant fight you still wouldn't have any battles to use them on

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Yinlock posted:

imo they could've given them out after Puppet Angelica. The fact that she just unceremoniously vanishes without a book or anything was kinda weird(though it might indicate she was just a collection of random parts and wasn't actually Angelica, because Argalia was literally insane and Jae-heon has a track record of being completely delusional)

If you look at Puppet Angelica's cards, you'll note that they have basically the same effect as various Black Silence cards, the cards she used in life as her personal combat style. At least some part of her was alive and aware in that thing

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

Goddamn I nearly rage quit the game after the last second fake out in the final realization. That is a total dick move to spend an hour just to see unavoidable death coming your way. The final card could've unlocked one scene earlier with absolutely no difference in gameplay.

They probably want to avoid the possibility of Using the Knowing I early and not having it for when it's actually needed

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I think you guys could probably stand to keep it in your pants a bit more in the LP thread, tbh. 'Colours' as anything beyond a cool nickname Gebura used to have don't get mentioned until the Full-Stop reception and you're all going at it

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Yeah I do think Carmen has distorted, that she is in fact the first Distortion, but I heavily doubt it has anything to do with Angela. She seems quite fond of Angela, actually! It probably has much more to do with spending ten thousand years trapped in a fate worse than death. That she has come out different on the other side of that is no surprise.
I mean granted, Carmen DID organise the whole Reverberation Ensemble to try and gently caress Angela over but she also helped Angela a lot and when she speaks to her in the Keter Realization she comes off more as trying to stop Angela from making the same 'mistake' she did. Carmen already gave up her life for the sake of others and for her trouble she had to endure an absolutely horrific fate. I think her attempt to stop Angela from doing the same was genuine.

Luckily for Angela, Roland is a much steadier person than Ayin and his response to Angela committing suicide was to disregard her wishes and save her life, not to subject her to eternal torment.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 15, 2021

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

Nah it's probably the Gebura fights, which become a lot easier once you get Geb's exclusive keypage.

Almost all of them unlock before you get that keypage though?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah, but there's nothing stopping you from putting them off until you get that keypage.

Yeah but none of them are harder than the fight you have to do to get that keypage.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Qrr posted:

That's what I assume. I did that fight when it first became available and it was the hardest fight in the game for me by a massive margin. Low emotion cap, no abnormality buffs, the first mass attack of the game, and (depending on how you play it) a very careful dance around a full heal + stagger recover meant it took a whole lot of attempts, when everything else took 1-3. On the bright side you can just ignore it for a very long time if you want.

And as if to rub salt into the wound, the Abno pages you get as a reward for that fight might be the single worst risk:reward ratio in the entire game.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

found this and thought, why not? (didn't bother/care to order them inside the tier groups, that's all just chronological)

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 16, 2021

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

Footfalls not being in D and Matchlight being in C is the first thing that sticks out to me as weird.

I can't think of a time where you'd ever want to actually use footfalls.

I was gonna put Footfalls in D (and probably should have) but then I remembered that I killed the Red Mist with it way back in the day and changed my mind. I don't have much respect for Matchlight.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Yinlock posted:

any "ai frenemy has to kill enemy or you lose" fight is still terrible, however

2 realizations do this and it suuuuuucks

e: that said Tiph(and Chesed) probably have my favorite realizations just because you end up helping the abnos work through their issues, it's weirdly heartwarming

Only 1 realization does this now.

GilliamYaeger posted:

I legit never got Footfalls to work. I have to assume that I was doing something wrong, because it didn't actually do anything even when my Librarians were below 20%. A real shame too, because when you actually want to use Footfalls it'd be pretty good for softening up opponents you're about to lose to for the next floor.

Footfalls only triggers when the librarian is on the attack, not just when they're below 20% in general. That's what probably tripped you up.

Theantero posted:

Pfft.

Time is S-tier unless you're BAD and SLOW :colbert:

I understand the theoretical power of Time! But I've got carpal tunnel syndrome. Price of Silence nearly made me quit the game.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

You can either have one/two activations of burn, or a whole fuckton of bleed activations because, like Fairy, they activate on every counter dice rolled. And JB has a lot of counter dice.

Though thinking about it a better way to kill it might be to just load up on Fairy first thing then spam high hit low roll cards like Opportunity Spotted so you can repeatedly trigger Fairy off its counter dice.

This is completely incorrect lmao. Judgement Bird's counter dice are Guard, which don't trigger Bleed. Additionally, you don't need any DoT decks besides Binah anyway. As long as Binah is stacking Fairy and all of the librarians are rushing Judgement Bird with a lot of dice to activate its counters, it will die from Fairy alone. That's probably what happened when you fought it and you thought the Bleed was doing something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hmMKcSUpvk

This video is outdated because it was back when counter dice didn't go away, so you could use them to kill Long Bird in one turn. But I know from experience that it still kills him by the second turn or so.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

TeeQueue posted:

It goes beyond even that. Remember, anyone entering the library is quantized on entry and copied in order to allow for refights and the creation of books. The head could not enter without giving their secrets away, and even if Angela didn’t know that, they probably did.

That said, Binah was extremely confident that Angela had no means of getting any secrets out of her so maybe those who serve the Head and know confidential things are protected in some way

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Garion seems to have underestimated Kali, but not by much seeing as Kali died doing what she did.

Yeah, Garion won. She didn't expect to have such a close fight and to lose her two Claws but even after that underestimation she still won. She only died because she, like every Arbiter apparently, cannot shut the gently caress up.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Razakai posted:

I died the first time due to poor timing with letting people get staggered on phase 4, and then had to restart a few times cause of the dumb first part.

didn't help that I popped EGO too early and Gebura staggered out of it due to the wolf's immune phase. Next time I waited until mountain, and so I could instantly kill all the bats with the AoE slice, and by then Gebura literally couldn't lose clashes due to what, +15 power for everything? Mimic was tedious though, only she could hurt it thanks to the defensive buff.

e: mechanics question - when a card says 'unaffected by power gain or loss', does that apply to ALL sources, like passives and so on?

All sources. It does not apply to effects that raise the minimum or maximum bounds of a roll however.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

You know, the Red Mist is supposed to be the strongest Colour fixer but I'm pretty sure that if you somehow made the Red Mist Reception fight the Argalia Duel reception (minus the special duel rules where he gives opponents +health/stagger), she'd lose.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 1, 2021

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Spoilers for the final fights:

Fun code interaction I just saw. You know how Distorted Argalia has a mechanic to stop himself from dropping below 1 HP so that, at the end of the round, the game can play the cutscene of Roland killing him? Turns out that if you kill Argalia but he then proceeds to kill your last surviving librarians in his little immortality period before the round ends, the cutscene won't trigger and it counts as his win.

:lobcorp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Theantero posted:

I mean yeah, but with the Pinky you can sort of immediately visualize their whole deal, whilst the Ring is just... 70's disco villains in garish multi-pattern suits? Is that what that is? And the Ring is supposed to be the really brutal one, at least according to Sayo.

I'm curious :v:

I mean, the Thumb and the Index in that picture don't really give a good image of their actual deal either so who knows