Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol at everyone pretending that the Rangers are a likeable franchise.

Let me just say: gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Panarin is cool so is Zibanejad. DeAngelo is not, nor is Kreider. They sorta balance each other out. The rest of the team is mostly forgettable now that Lundqvist is presumably gone. As a result they're a far superior option to the Pens, Oilers, Leafs or really anyone else on that accursed list.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Which GM is most likely to be dumb enough to trade the pick? That's who I'm rooting for.

Or Minnesota, I guess.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

ThinkTank posted:

Panarin is cool so is Zibanejad. DeAngelo is not, nor is Kreider. They sorta balance each other out. The rest of the team is mostly forgettable now that Lundqvist is presumably gone. As a result they're a far superior option to the Pens, Oilers, Leafs or really anyone else on that accursed list.

I maintain that he should go to Florida, since they are woefully mismanaged and their new GM can trade him in a few years after they buy out Bob.

Or they become a new Atlantic powerhouse, my team is Metropolitan and I care not. Chaos.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Minnesota has been stuck in the black hole for a while and haven't gone the tanking route yet. They probably deserves him the most (from this group).

Nashville, Rangers, Winnipeg have had their chances recently and blew it. But they could all use a boost.

Florida, Toronto, and Edmonton already have a lot of skill and can't do anything with it. Lafrenière may be wasted there.

Penguins can go have sex with themselves.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I mostly just don't care about the rangers. MSG is a cool barn and despite my best efforts to chirp them last Stars game I attended there, everyone was pleasant and chill. Florida or Minny will just bury him in mediocrity.

Here's my stupid and wrong thoughts:

Winnipeg - gently caress you, you have plenty of stars. Not everyone else's fault you blew up your D for no reason and refuse to fire your bad coach. You can't make the playoffs with possibly the best goalie in the league and a core of Laine, scheifele, ehlers, Connor, wheeler, and whatever dmen they have left after the, uh, purge, you don't deserve nice things. Plus the cold and bugs and all that.

Nashville - you have the best D man and possibly D corps in the league and plenty of scoring talent. You were in the finals 2 loving years ago, you don't get to have this kind of help.

Minnesota - they've proven that even mediocrity is too lofty a goal and instead settle for just a bit worse than the pack always making sideways moves and slight downgrades with no direction and a stupid loving logo. Laf will change nothing but this garbage tier franchise doesn't deserve any nice things.

Toronto - gently caress right off

Pittsburgh - see above

Edmonton - seriously? gently caress off.

Florida - they still have a team? Whatever, maybe this will be the thing that solves all their problems! (not sure how a player solves meddling fuckwit owners that can't help but scattershot everything, but we'll see)

NYR - they're definitely too good to be picking first (like all of these teams, the NHL is stupid) but they seem harmless for the most part and have an exciting young core. Probably a great destination for a spotlight and supporting cast and I think it's good for the league to have a good product in such a high profile market. I see the arguments against it but I guess I just don't hate the rags enough.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The Leafs, Pens, or Oilers should get it for the comedy situations in each. Failing that, Nashville would be fun as a reward for the owner roulette keep the team hardship. Florida's already gotten too much help there.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Florida win and hire Peter Chiarelli as their new GM a week later.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Not gonna argue about Paul Maurice but "blowing up the defense" is a weird way to describe what happened in Winnipeg.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Kilza posted:

Watch Florida win and hire Peter Chiarelli as their new GM a week later.

I know that there's no way the Stars get to a 2nd round game seven, so there's probably no way Jim Nill keeps his job.

I also know that one of Chiarelli and Gillis will end up in Dallas or Florida, it just remains to be seen which goes where.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Teams should be rewarded for risk and trying to win it all. A proper rebuild is difficult and risky in itself but smart teams commit to it instead of just sticking more fingers in the dyke. Minnesota has done neither (outside of those two awful contacts, I guess) and has paddled around in circles just outside of the bubble losing in the first round when they do squeak in. I think they need to loving blow it up before they're ready for a franchise player to build around. That said, with their current crop, laff will probably push them to such great heights as a close first round exit or, by God, a second round exit. And their logo and name are dumb.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Wysh is saying the draw tonight is going to be live. Bettman will draw the winning ball from the machine himself

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cocaine Bear posted:

exciting young core... great destination for a spotlight and supporting cast... good for the league to have a good product in such a high profile market.

Sounds like you're cheering for the Toronto Maple Leafs! Thanks, pal!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

i am the bird posted:

Not gonna argue about Paul Maurice but "blowing up the defense" is a weird way to describe what happened in Winnipeg.

I mean buff was a weird one and some of that was on him and not then (maybe, might never know the true extent of what happened) but the rest is on Chevy. And Maurice needs to go real bad. He's not a terrible coach but he's clearly not getting what he should out of that roster. If you can score all the goals and have a great, consistent keeper, you're probably not making it to the finals but you should be able to do something with that level of talent. Plus his special teams are bad and his style generates too many penalties.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
My ranking:

Minnesota - Perpetual mediocrity, never blowing it up to tank, but never seeing any success. Nobody hates them enough to be mad if they get it.

Winnipeg - Perpetual good regular season team that blows it in the playoffs. Good at developing prospects. Nobody hates them enough to be mad if they get it.

Nashville - Same as Winnipeg, but with some playoff success.
Florida - A mismanaged shitshow that doesn't deserve happiness.

NYR - They just lucked into both the #2 pick and one of the best wingers to hit UFA in recent history. They don't need more charity.
Pittsburgh - gently caress off.
T-Last - Toronto / Edmonton - gently caress right off.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

eXXon posted:

Sounds like you're cheering for the Toronto Maple Leafs! Thanks, pal!

I meant a non toxic spot light, but, yeah, kind of. I love laughing at the leafs for their perpetual ineptitude and, let's face it (this year at least) just some bad loving luck. It's good for the game for Toronto, NYC, LA, and Vegas to be good teams because they're the ones new fans to the sport will probably recognize. Granted it would be bad for the sport of those teams were all always good, but, yeah, I kind of agree. That said, you just got matthews and have plenty of talent so gently caress right off.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I hope the pick goes to Toronto and they have to trade him in the near future because of so much money tied up in Tavares and Marner.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wysh is saying the draw tonight is going to be live. Bettman will draw the winning ball from the machine himself

No do it elimination style. One ball is so boring.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Minny winning just makes it an Eichel in Buffalo situation which is the worst outcome.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I will laugh and laugh and laugh if the Oilers win.

Failing that, uh, go Minny, I guess.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
You all know in your cold dead hearts what's going to happen.. just accept the worst timeline.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Of course we know what's going to fuckin' happen doesn't meant I can't pretend otherwise for a few hours Miso. Let me have these few golden moments of self delusion please.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I was hoping it's this as soon as they mentioned it's gonna be just one ball and not a bunch of numbered balls.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

From what I've heard (also from Wyshynski) it's eight team balls in one hopper. That's it, that's all, live reveal.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

DOOMocrat posted:

From what I've heard (also from Wyshynski) it's eight team balls in one hopper. That's it, that's all, live reveal.

my favorite chaos response to this was to draw out the losers until its 1 ball left in the hopper. thats a loving nail-biter right there.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
As a Canucks fan, Florida is pretty much the only good choice.

Rangers fans wouldn't shut up about it for years.

Jets, Preds, Wild are all in our conference (and the Wild would extra suck since we put them in that position).

Pittsburgh...

Toronto..................

Edmonton............................................

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

RIGGED LOTTERY

PHONY LOTTERY

:yooge:

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

ThinkTank posted:

Of course we know what's going to fuckin' happen doesn't meant I can't pretend otherwise for a few hours Miso. Let me have these few golden moments of self delusion please.

:cry:

I know... I know.. I'm sorry.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Thanks to the miracle of cable cutting my feed of NBCSN will be at least 30 seconds delayed, should I watch with twitter/SA closed and savor the moment and be late with the shitposts, or just watch Twitter react and go back for the TV replay later?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Misanthrope posted:

You all know in your cold dead hearts what's going to happen.. just accept the worst timeline.
More like the best timeline. Personally as an Oilers fan I'm just sick of winning so much.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

step 1: win the lottery and pick laffo
step 2: trade RNH for brent seabrook to get a veteran cup winner on defense

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I feel like the only place he can go where he would be THE GUY is Minnesota, who's best players are like, Dumba and Fiala.

Nashville he would be too because they've never had a potential elite offensive player in their existence, but they at least have a killer D led by Josi and Arvidsson/Forsberg/Duchene. Florida he would be the guy also but there's Barkov and Huberdeau so not totally.

I guess what I mean is Minnesota is closest to him going to a bad team where he would instantly become the team's top player.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
How can they get 2 full commercial breaks out of the ping pong lottery? Lets find out

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm the briefcase full of accountant balls

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
“The winning team is...still in the playoffs”

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Are we having fun yet?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm beginning to suspect these NHL network guys are morons.

Between having to clarify that the amazing draft pick named Sidney Crosby was the same guy who's playing in the NHL, or realizing he can't say "waiting for the balls to drop" in real time, it's not great.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Lol why is the Florida guy sitting in an empty white room

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wow, Gary not lookin' so hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

MJeff posted:

Wow, Gary not lookin' so hot.

He’s not in make up. Roger Goodell also looked off during the NFL Draft from his basement.

Also: BOO BETTMAN