Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Poor person: eats canned foods, lives in an apartment, sits on pleather, drinks faucet water

Rich person: eats fresh greens, lives in an estate, sits on leather, drinks voss

Fool person: eats money, lives in money, sits on money, drinks money water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
wpw rly makes u tink op

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
There's more debt on Earth than their is actual money. The fact the economy keeps working despite this proves money is fake. Extend unlimited credit to everyone.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
I agree. We should go back to the barter system where people exchange goods or unique services to survive, in which case I will starve.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Applewhite posted:

There's more debt on Earth than their is actual money. The fact the economy keeps working despite this proves money is fake. Extend unlimited credit to everyone.

but my inflation

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

you're gonna starve anyway as the changing environment leads to mass crop failure, civil unrest and finally total breakdown, bedlam and anarchy

unless you "barter" bullets for longpig i guess

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Going to barter my rear end in a top hat for a bottle of aquafina.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Guys have you seen this film called Zeitgeist?
Some crazy poo poo dude check it out

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

lol ok what next nerd, bigfoots not real either?

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I know ten bigfoots and I know all their names too. They have accepted me as one of their own and have given me the honorary title of stinky toe. so bigfoot is VERY real.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
gently caress I just payed my dealer in money, im in big trouble if this is true.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

bigfoot use beetles as money and let me tell you something about beetles bub

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Correct. Anybody who describes money as a limited societal resource is either a fool or a scoundrel. All money exists to do at this point is reify the gross power imbalances at the heart of our civilization

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

"civilization" is best & succinctly described as

The Obfuscation of Violence

All that capitalism really is, is a minimally palatable form of Darwinism exercised upon others

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
i spit on every penny i see on the street. i will spit, piss, or cum on any denomination i see

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
it's almost like we are only limited by the availability of natural resources and labor, not units of account

if we ever colonize another planet, guess one thing we won't have to bring with us? that's right, money. because it's just dumb numbers.

dumbers

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

R.L. Stine posted:

i will...cum on any...nation i see

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Veni, vidi, veni

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Novo posted:

if we ever colonize another planet

lemme stop u rite there,

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
can you imagine

first officer: Captain, we've found a planet with 99% earth gravity, a breathable atmosphere, fresh water, and organic soil suitable for cultivation. Temperatures and light levels are very Earth-like.
captain: Yes, but any precious metal deposits? Silver? Gold?
first officer: No, but there's everything we need not just to survive, but thrive.
captain: But how can we have an economy without money?
first officer: People are tired of living in the austerity of this ship, there's enough resources down there and technology up here for us all to live out our days in wealth and luxury.
captain: I'm afraid you just don't understand economics or finance. Wealth is not the stuff that makes up your quality of life, it's numbers and those numbers have to represent fixed units of something or it all falls apart! Let's keep looking, warp speed ahead!

Novo fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 28, 2020

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

R.L. Stine posted:

Veni, vidi, veni

:cumpolice: except replace police with ceaser

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Novo posted:

can you imagine

first officer: Captain, we've found a planet with 99% earth gravity, a breathable atmosphere, fresh water, and organic soil suitable for cultivation. Temperatures and light levels are very Earth-like.
captain: Yes, but any precious metal deposits? Silver? Gold?
first officer: No, but there's everything we need not just to survive, but thrive.
captain: But how can we have an economy without money?
first officer: People are tired of living in the austerity of this ship, there's enough resources down there and technology up here for us all to live out our days in wealth and luxury.
captain: I'm afraid you just don't understand economics or finance. Wealth is not the stuff that makes up your quality of life, it's numbers and those numbers have to represent fixed units of something or it all falls apart! Let's keep looking, warp speed ahead!

isnt this basically 1700s spain

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

needs more natives to genocide

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I've ways wondered what the alternative to money is when talking to friends who say money is dumb. Not everyone has goods to barter. Without an incredibly.complicsts system of IOUs how else.does society function? There needs to be some overarching of quantifying labour and goods, one engineer producing a plan can't be traded directly for a variety of food and clothing so what's the functional alternative to money?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Stupid person: Posts this thread.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

ilmucche posted:

so what's the functional alternative to money?

extinction

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

ancient rome went pay-in-kind for a while when their coins became so debased as to be worthless

they went right back to coinage when they could tho cause money doesnt spoil and you can convert it to whatever you need at any given time

so the answer is idk what the alternative is

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Applewhite posted:

This is like buying the economy shoes a size too big and hoping they will grow into it.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

the functional alternative to money is building up to an effectively post-scarcity utopia wherein each person is treated with the rule "from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" but lol if you think the tremendous copiousness & plenitude will ever be divvied up in a fair manner by greedy, horny, murderous mortal apes

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
frankly?

all the fault of one Richard Milhous Nixon

e: and you folks can quote me on this one

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

ilmucche posted:

I've ways wondered what the alternative to money is when talking to friends who say money is dumb. Not everyone has goods to barter. Without an incredibly.complicsts system of IOUs how else.does society function? There needs to be some overarching of quantifying labour and goods, one engineer producing a plan can't be traded directly for a variety of food and clothing so what's the functional alternative to money?

Seeds

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

the functional alternative to money is building up to an effectively post-scarcity utopia wherein each person is treated with the rule "from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" but lol if you think the tremendous copiousness & plenitude will ever be divvied up in a fair manner by greedy, horny, murderous mortal apes

I mean we're already pretty much functionally post-scarcity when it comes to producing food and shelter and inequality's only gotten worse, so yeah, we're not going to achieve any kind of equitable world as a result of production efficiencies. It's never going to be given to us

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

money is not real, that's why i only use bitcoins

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

If money is fake then why don't I have any

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

in post-scarcity communalism the allowance of purchasing leisure goods will be directly tied to your horny level which is evaluated weekly

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

R.L. Stine posted:

in post-scarcity communalism the allowance of purchasing leisure goods will be directly tied to your horny level which is evaluated weekly

Are we going for high scores in this, or low

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Bronze Fonz posted:

Guys have you seen this film called Zeitgeist?
Some crazy poo poo dude check it out

tell me more ty

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

UHD posted:

ancient rome went pay-in-kind for a while when their coins became so debased as to be worthless

they went right back to coinage when they could tho cause money doesnt spoil and you can convert it to whatever you need at any given time

so the answer is idk what the alternative is

So I actually have some thoughts on that:

All basic necessities (sustenance, shelter, medicine) are 100% free for everyone at all times. Meals are taken communally to prevent food hoarding/waste.

Every person is assigned a set number of "community hours" they're required to fill over a certain period (say, a week). Community hours can be fulfilled by harvesting food or cleaning public spaces. Undesirable/dangerous jobs fill hours faster.

Once those hours are filled, the rest of a citizen's time is their own to relax, create, or engage with the community's luxury economy which I haven't fully defined yet.

Completed hours are non-transferable and don't roll over from week to week.

There are at all times basic living conditions available for every member of the community, but if members of a community wish to spend their free time to build a nicer place to live, that is their prerogative.

Medicine shall be denied to no one and determined on an as-needed basis. I haven't yet come up with a way to stop doctors from being the de-facto rich people in society.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 28, 2020

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
sometimes i just think about all the money i could make and it makes me jizz my pants with how little these wroms really understand the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Morality is fake.