Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We’re dealing with a uniquely American hellscape involving denial of civil liberties and privacy, widespread facial recognition, and the Patriot Act in MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE!

And also we’re going to rewatch Person of Interest. :v:

From 2011 to 2016, Jonathan Nolan’s (co-creator of Westwo-no wait come back) sci-fi procedural Person of Interest was one of the most interesting procedurals on the air, combining weekly stories with serialized arcs in ways that felt natural and effortless. There was truly nothing else like it, and so we’re watching it. Starting on July 1st, we’re going to spend that month watching Season 1, the roughest season but one that is still ultimately worth the watch. People have previously created watch guides for the episodes that are more-or-less necessary, but I feel cutting out “irrelevant” episodes goes against the spirit of this rewatch as well as my own intentions for picking this show. Besides, I wanted to discover a good “rate” of consumption so I can modify how quickly we watch shows in the future, and not watching every episode kind of ruins that. Anyway, let’s get to it on July 1st! All of Person of Interest is currently streaming on Netflix in the US.

xoxo stan fusco

Past Shows:

Hannibal Season 1
Community (entire series, more-or-less)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Let's get this party started!!

Also, is there gonna be a set schedule or is it a more casual thing

We should work that out now. If people want to, we could do, say, 6 episodes a week (so one episode every day but Sunday)? That would have us finish on the 27th.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We could try but this show doesn't reach full :tviv: potential until like, season 3

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm just not going to rewatch all the episodes in advance of another rewatch to figure out the best episodes to TVIV livewatch with people, so here's a few preliminary episodes to work with for potential livewatches while we figure out if we want to add to it:

1x01: "Pilot", July 1st
1x04: "Cura Te Ipsum", July 4th
1x07: "Witness", July 8th
1x09: "Get Carter", July 10th

And then I don't remember much until the last couple of episodes, which I loved both of and would each probably be great material:

1x22: "No Good Deed", July 25th
1x23: "Fire Wall", July 27th

I know the first block is a little packed there, we could potentially put a few more days in between some of those episodes.

Arist fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 28, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If people wanna do livewatches, 9 or 10 Eastern on the day of is probably the most sensible time. There's a group watch channel in the TVIV Discord that we can use for it: https://discord.gg/QvE4XJ

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

And so we start! The first season can take a while to really reveal what the show is capable of but I promise you the whole thing is worth it.

We'll be watching the pilot episode tonight in discord at 10 Eastern, and I hope to see people there!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Slamhound posted:

This link isn’t working for me. Expired/invalid?

I did not realize Discord links expired!

https://discord.gg/dP9RaGn

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Some notes on the pilot:
  • Enter Jim Caviezel as John Reese, Kneecap Hunter
  • They make Jim Caviezel do these weird jokey-jokes and it feels so weird and out of place, they lean into the deadpan affect later and it works much better.
  • I had forgotten just how quickly Finch drops the facade of what's actually going on. I assumed Reese just found out by accident, especially given some developments in future seasons.
  • "You have your vest on, Officer?" "Yes." *shoots him four times in the back from six inches away* You just murdered Fusco, Reese!
Now that we're moving on to Episode 2, a word of warning: never, ever, ever skip the intro.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're probably fine this early in the series, I think?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kinda last-minute but we're gonna see if anyone wants to watch 104 in the discord. Might be a lost cause due to the holiday, but current thoughts are maybe in about an hour and a half?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

104 is so loving good, goddammit I'm angry now

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jerusalem posted:

I sadly really don't have the time for a full watchalong at the moment, but this is the episode that ends with Reese contemplating whether to murder the serial killer, right? I really dug that episode, but felt the later revelation (or just suggestion?) that he just dumps them at some Mexican prison was a little weak in terms of a resolution for how the characters seem to disappear off the face of the planet.

Nah, they don't actually ever confirm that, it's apparently just a mild implication at most

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People seem to be watching at their own pace anyway so I say we're just gonna continue into next month and see how far people are by then.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you're still watching, be warned that this is leaving Netflix on September 21.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It definitely picks up in Season 2.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've prepared a new thread for the next show we'll be covering. You are free to continue posting in this one if you want to talk about PoI :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937862

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sirotan posted:

With two days to spare I did it, I finished PoI. Here are my thoughts:

-Michael Emerson is just the best
-I really kind of actively disliked this show for the first two seasons, and likely would have given up on it if not for knowing how much praise I've read about it from goons over the years. But as soon as they (season 3 spoilers) killed off Carter and finished the HR storyline everything improved dramatically to the point where I'm gonna need to see if they switched writers or show runners or something. Hell I even started to think Caviezel actually did have some range after that
-Still think Caviezel is easily the worst cast person on the show. There's understated performances and then there's just being wooden.
-Season 4 was my favorite, If-Then-Else and Terra Incognita were loving great
-I loved the little end of series reveal that there's been other groups of people (backed by billionaire tech geniuses, natch) getting numbers from the machine
-I thought for sure they'd reveal Finch's last name eventually
-I assume from the abbreviated last season they got cancelled. Was it a ratings thing?

They were given a final season, which is basically just getting cancelled with advance notice and letting you wrap up on your way out the door. The plan was for six full seasons IIRC.