Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:siren::siren::siren: Current Contest and Poll, Updated 8/26/20 :siren::siren::siren:
Contest: Flavor a Faction
Poll: Bant Approval Vote

A small selection of winning cards from previous contests.

Welcome to the third version of the MTG Create-A-Card Thread, a weekly(ish) contest to use Magic Set Editor (program) or MTG Card Maker (browser) to create custom Magic cards suiting a particular theme. You can check out the previous threads here and here. (Requires Archives)

Unlike said previous threads, things are going to be a bit different this time, as we have a goal: We are going to create a custom MtG set suitable for both limited and constructed play. Rather than traditional judging, contests will instead be decided by approval voting, giving everyone a say in the shape of the set even if they're not superstars of design themselves. Contests will start with large macro decisions, interspersed with votes about design, with them becoming more specific and constrained as we get closer to the finish line.

:siren: Readers who are not submitting cards themselves are still encouraged to provide feedback on posted designs. :siren: This is a set for everyone, not just people who have Magic Set Editor pinned to the taskbar.

Tips for Creators
  • You can submit more than one card, but try to keep it reasonable, and put as many in the same post as you can. If you edit an old post, make a new post saying what you added so the judge knows to check it again.
  • Put your card images on Imgur or LPix. Don't use photobucket or imageshack or some other bullshit like that. Please.
  • :siren: Use [timg] tags for your card images, you motherfuckers. :siren:
  • A text-format card (or a card with no image) can theoretically win, but it will have to really stand out to be any good.
  • Since these are intended to go into a set, discretion with what art is being used is preferable. We're not going to be making any kind of profit off of this, so we've got some wiggle room, but make sure to credit the artists, reverse Google Image Search has existed for years now. If all else fails, feel free to use placeholder art/no art/stock images/etc.
  • Read the quotes below, I didn't go pulling them out of the old thread and manually reformatting them for my health.
  • Make sure you follow the theme. You can get creative with it, but be wary of being too smarmy and ending up having to explain why your card matches the theme.
  • Don't bitch and complain when you lose. Seriously, it doesn't make people reconsider your card, it just makes them put you on their ignore list.

Entropic posted:

:spergin: A few notes on templating: :spergin:
  • Permanents are put "onto the battlefield". They haven't been put "into play" since 10th edition or so.
  • Ability words like Heroic, Metalcraft and Morbid don't actually have any built-in rules associated with them; you have to spell out what triggers them on each card.
  • You never need to have a card say "While this is on the battlefield, such and such happens". All abilities are assumed to work on the battlefield and only on the battlefield unless stated otherwise.
  • You don't have an untap phase or an upkeep phase or a draw phase; you have untap, upkeep and draw steps during your beginning phase.
  • Damage, mana amounts, and references to power or toughness are always written as numerals and never spelled out. (e.g. "Lightning bolt deals 3 damage.") Numbers of most other things are always spelled out (e.g. "Draw two cards.")
  • Lord effects should specify that they only affect creatures where applicable. e.g. "Goat creatures you control get +1/+1" not "Goats you control get +1/+1" because ever since Tribal went and ruined everything you have to take into account that you don't want some hypothetical non-creature Tribal Enchantment - Goat getting a +1/+1 bonus that makes no sense for it.
  • For the love of Emrakul, please use gatherer to search for cards with similar abilities to whatever you're trying to do so that you can see how it's worded on cards that actually saw print.

Kabanaw posted:

An important rule in designing cards is making sure that players don't have to remember that something exists without there being a visible reminder somewhere in the game. The reason cards like Obsidian Fireheart or Xathrid Gorgon put counters on things they change is so that a player can look at that card and remember "Oh, this has a petrification counter on it, it's an artifact creature with defender." It reduces the number of play mistakes overall and lets the players focus on their strategy and the game itself instead of wasting headspace remembering extra gamestate information.

One more thing, templating style stuff: The placement of abilities on cards isn't random. They're often placed so that the parts that are relevant sooner are placed sooner. The order is generally additional costs both keyword and non-keyword, non-keyword alternate casting costs, abilities that change how a card can be cast (pretty much just flash), evergreen keyword abilities, block-specific keyword abilities, characteristic defining abilities (eg. setting power/toughness) enters-the-battlefield abilities, all other abilities, and finally keyworded alternate casting costs (eg. flashback and overload).

This order can change for any number of reasons, but it's usually because a different order increases readability. For example, Geist-Honored Monk has its characteristic defining ability before its ETB ability, while Duplicant has its ETB ability before its characteristic defining ability. That's because Duplicant's characteristic defining ability is linked to the creature it exiles with its first. The order of abilities on a card don't actually change how it functions, but correctly ordered abilities make a card's effect easier to parse.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Established Design Goals
- Suitable for both limited and constructed play.
- Created with input by as many goons as possible, not just designers.
- Bottom-up design.
- Setting and unique mechanics are as of yet undetermined.

More goes here as contests are completed.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 28, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Contests and Winners
6/27/20: "Setting-Agnostic Keywords and Mechanics" - Ongoing

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 28, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also reserved just in case

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

All that out of the way, here's our first contest.

:siren: Setting-Agnostic Keywords and Mechanics :siren:
Before we know exactly what we're creating, we need some ideas about the broad strokes of the set. If we want this set to work well for drafting, we need something to keep us on track and prevent the set from becoming an eclectic mess of a hundred different mechanics that clash horrifically. What better way than to know ahead of time the kinds of mechanics we'll be using?

For this contest, the goal is to find not just one mechanic, but a variety of them, some fitting all colors, while some suggest only certain slices. With your submission, explain the design goal that created the mechanic, as well as some ideas for how the design could be expanded upon to fill a larger set, or be used in interesting ways. You are also encouraged to create at least a few cards in the design yourself, at varying levels of complexity, from draft chaff commons, up to higher, rarer build-around rares and mythics. This doesn't mean that your design can't be a little creative or out there, we're beholden to no one but ourselves after all, just make sure it doesn't need a whole paragraph of text on every single card that uses it.

Note that these mechanics can still suggest some kind of theme, or imply things about the setting. We'll be creating the setting flavor from the white space between our choices in keywords, so don't worry about making it completely bland and flavorless. As an additional note, while there is normally a stigma associated with resubmitting previous designs, especially winners, do away with that fear for now. If anything, proven goon-liked designs are a good thing.

Rather than judging myself, at the end of the submission period, I will create a poll where everyone can vote on the mechanics they feel would be most suitable for addition to the set, and we'll go from there.

Since this is a relatively complicated and extremely important cornerstone of the set design, I'll be leaving it open for two weeks, with the submission deadline on Sunday, July 12th, at 11:59 PM, EST.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 11, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Since I won't be the one deciding the winner, that leaves me free to actually contribute as well, so I'm going to submit one of my previous contest-winning designs: Enchanters!

Enchanters are a primarily limited-focused mechanic at lower rarities, giving a player somewhere to dump their excess mana for concrete benefit. In order to encourage synergy, but also prevent a snowballing effect that can't be stopped, the tokens created by enchanters sacrifice themselves once there are no longer any enchanters on the board. This creates an incentive for deck synergy, and something to build for, independent of the color(s) of the deck being created.

As for downsides, it is especially important that the tokens created do not create unstoppable advantage, especially at lower rarities. This can be done by either increasing the cost, or lowering the power of the tokens. In constructed, the stronger enchanters would be useful for their abilities, while the commons and uncommons would be mostly useful for the creature type. This set would also need ways to counter potential Enchanter snowballs in a variety of colors without leaning on specific Enchanter hate, which could come in a number of ways, from token hate, to multi-target damage spells, to type-specific mass removal.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
This is awesome. Working on a submission.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

A couple questions:

1) Is this limited to one mechanic per poster?

2) Is this contest limited to new and original mechanics, and if so, will there be a later opportunity to talk about incorporating existing mechanics?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

So this is an idea I've been thinking of in my head, ever since the last great designer search. One of the questions asked was something to the effect of "how would you fix an already printed mechanic?" and the idea that I came up with was for Haunt.

Haunt has alot of problems with complexity, remembering what is being targeted...but the flavor is a pretty good idea. You're a ghost loving around with a creature that is still on the battlefield. So how can you have this flavor while still doing close to the same thing? My original idea was to make them like Amonkhet creature tokens, where you exile them from the graveyard and make a new creature that is the same thing. But I think just have double-sided cards should work, according to the rules. I'm also calling them curses for flavor reasons, though I think curses may only be allowed to target players, and these are creature only.

All Unfinished creatures have an ETB, and then their transformed side is related to that based on what it was. This then can be salable has there are an infinite number of Etbs, and could fit in all colors. I've made one in each color here, split among common and uncommon for power reasons. I've also thought about a couple more (green creature that adds counters on etb and when dealing damage, white having an ETB +1+1 for the team and when it attacks doing that as well...I think it could work for alot of things.) The harder part for this is finding effects that are OK in a vacuum once but don't get too broken when repeated.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Anshu posted:

A couple questions:

1) Is this limited to one mechanic per poster?

2) Is this contest limited to new and original mechanics, and if so, will there be a later opportunity to talk about incorporating existing mechanics?
1) No, but don't just shotgun a billion, too many will make the poll super clogged.

2) Yes. I'm actually going to make an option in the poll whether we're incorporating old set-specific mechanics at all (and if so, which).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hi templating nerd here.

The wording for that Unfinished ability is "return it to the battlefield transformed" because cards not on the battlefield are always the face side.

The Curse type is always enchant player auras. Two cards tutor curses and attach them directly to players and the third only counts curses on players. Making the auras curses doesn't add much. They're not much of curses either since they're positive effects. Why the subtype?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The Curse type is always enchant player auras. Two cards tutor curses and attach them directly to players and the third only counts curses on players. Making the auras curses doesn't add much. They're not much of curses either since they're positive effects. Why the subtype?

Not only are the effects always positive, but they're even limited to creatures you control. Wandering Yew in particular could be entertaining attached to an opponent's creature.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Anshu posted:

Not only are the effects always positive, but they're even limited to creatures you control. Wandering Yew in particular could be entertaining attached to an opponent's creature.

Bringing back fond memories of using armadillo cloak as a horrible pacifism when I was a kid.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Pontius Pilate posted:

Bringing back fond memories of using armadillo cloak as a horrible pacifism when I was a kid.

Exactly. :devil:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Hi templating nerd here.

The wording for that Unfinished ability is "return it to the battlefield transformed" because cards not on the battlefield are always the face side.

I out curse just for flavor reasons, they are connecting themselves to another creature. It doesn't need to be there and can be taken out. But thanks for the templating point.

Anshu posted:

This was partially due to how they were templated, because I was turning them into an aura and attaching it. I said "creature you control" because auras don't target coming back from the graveyard, and I didn't want them coming back on an opponent's creatures, because the return clause must happen even if you don't have any creatures. Technically the effects could be negative too. Something like a 2R 5/4 with "whenever this attacks or blocks, deals two damage to you" and comes back for that effect on an opponent's creature?

edit:

edit edit: just c/p the same template for yours only, but this could be for both now. Don't know if something like this should be first round all positive, and then at higher rarities have negatives, or just a mix and match of both.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 28, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Minor templating point:

quote:

Lord effects should specify that they only affect creatures where applicable. e.g. "Goat creatures you control get +1/+1" not "Goats you control get +1/+1" because ever since Tribal went and ruined everything you have to take into account that you don't want some hypothetical non-creature Tribal Enchantment - Goat getting a +1/+1 bonus that makes no sense for it.

This got reversed recently since a. they're not making any more tribal for people to get confused by and (more relevant here) b. modifying the P/T of a non-creature just doesn't do anything. So "Goats you control get +1/+1" is the modern 'correct' templating.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Looking forward to helping some of y'all out with templating.

:spergin: Some of the stuff in the last thread drove me up the wall.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Anshu posted:

Exactly. :devil:

It was one of those distinct magic “leveling up” moments when you discover magic’s complexity that causes you to fall in love with the game. Seems wotc has realized this and are shifting a bit from nwo, which I’m glad for. And for those reasons, plus just favor if you’re gonna keep ‘em curses goutpatrol, I like the change to any creature (and the mockup card); could keep the more ambiguous or negative ones mostly in black, or grixis, or whatever your set envisions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It occurs to me that artifact creatures with Unfinished could turn into Equipment, since those also use the "attach" terminology.

BaiSha
Jul 9, 2012
I thought of this for an earlier contest, but I think it might have legs. It's a creature mechanic that I'm calling husk, you pay a cost and discard the creature to make a token copy of the creature with no abilities (generally the husk cost is lower than the regular cost) I think it could work well with graveyard, token or especially tribal synergies. Commons would just be split cards, something like this:

Higher rarity/more complex cards would have aftermath-like effects or recursion like this

I am a little worried that these sorts of things could get abused with other graveyard based cards, but I think the idea could be good in the right set and if power level is watched closely. Please let me know if my formatting is weird in any of these.
e: in case it wasn't clear, the intention is for the knight token to be this:

so it would work with any same name, creature type, casting cost synergies

BaiSha fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 28, 2020

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

holy poo poo those quotes in the op are from 7 years ago

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think I have an ability ready.

I present to you: Helper.

Helper is a keyword ability, applied to creatures, which is templated as "Helper (cost)"; it translates to "Tap this creature and pay (cost): untap another creature you control."

Flavour-wise this ability represents a creature supporting another creature, to allow them to act again once they're spent: soldiers supporting one another, woodland creatures and other animals being helpful, necromancers summoning corpses and skeletons to help them, apprentice wizards assisting their masters, mechanists and artificers building contraptions to further their research... You name it. Therefore, it's designed as being primary in white and green, secondary in blue, black, and colourless, and tertiary in red (it being the most "individualistic" colour, but there could be Helpers in red too, they're just rarer).

Here are some examples of Helper cards:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

BaiSha posted:

I thought of this for an earlier contest, but I think it might have legs. It's a creature mechanic that I'm calling husk, you pay a cost and discard the creature to make a token copy of the creature with no abilities (generally the husk cost is lower than the regular cost) I think it could work well with graveyard, token or especially tribal synergies. Commons would just be split cards, something like this:

Higher rarity/more complex cards would have aftermath-like effects or recursion like this

I am a little worried that these sorts of things could get abused with other graveyard based cards, but I think the idea could be good in the right set and if power level is watched closely. Please let me know if my formatting is weird in any of these.
e: in case it wasn't clear, the intention is for the knight token to be this:

so it would work with any same name, creature type, casting cost synergies

This is a neat idea but I'd suggest swapping from whenever you could cast a sorcery to whenever you could cast this creature? This future proofs it so that any creatures with flash can have their husk cost at instant speed.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I have been messing around with a few mechanics, but this is the one I got the furthest with. It basically amounts to an imprint style effect, but you can cast the imprinted card. I am not crazy about the name but my thesaurus was failing me.

Cards with exhibit would give a bonus for card disadvantage, or putting cards from your hand in a precarious position where they can be lost if the permanent that exiled them is destroyed before they are cast. Cards refer to exiled cards for triggered or static abilities, and more complicated designs can include triggers for when you cast the exiled card.

Exhibit shows up on permanents, and is generally an enter the battlefield effect, but it also allows the player to play any other cards that a permanent with exhibit might exile, as long as it matches the card type. This should open up some more design space.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The idea is fine but I think the mana costs for the creatures and the effect for all of these are way, way off. Paying GGG for just untapping 1 creature seems super over-costed.

So I decided to try a series of rares in each color for my mechanic. I ended up putting the red under mythic if we are playing by WotC's rules.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Something simple, straightforward, but potentially very versatile.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 28, 2020

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

GoutPatrol posted:

The idea is fine but I think the mana costs for the creatures and the effect for all of these are way, way off. Paying GGG for just untapping 1 creature seems super over-costed.

So I decided to try a series of rares in each color for my mechanic. I ended up putting the red under mythic if we are playing by WotC's rules.

I like this idea as kind of a reverse Bestow, but for the ETB effects, I think the backside should make you sacrifice the creature.

Tapping to cast Miscalculation is REALLY good.

510rems
Mar 26, 2010
A while back I wanted to come up with an ETB ability that had some player choice with how it could be used. I settled on Inhale, which is an ability that can be used set up a delayed card draw for yourself, or to deny your opponent cards from the top of their deck.

Cards like Hungering Herd that are more likely to stick around can inhale your opponent's deck to deny them those cards. Smaller, easier to remove creatures are more suited to inhaling your own deck so that you can draw those cards when the creature leaves play.

You could also have cards that do stuff with inhaled cards, or care about being inhaled.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Inhale is cool, but imagine a green 5 drop that says "when ~ leaves the battlefield, target player draws three cards." You would never choose your opponent. Also, it is delayed, but it is still card draw, so I would be careful about the numbers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What if Inhale always let you return exactly 1? Higher inhale wouldn't mean more draw, but more choice on what to draw, like a pseudo-scry, but could also be a pseudo-fateseal AND a pseudo-mill. It'd fit really well into blue, mechanically, that way, too.

Inhale X (Exile the top X cards of target player's library. When this card leaves the battlefield, return one card exiled by this effect to its owner's hand.)

I imagine it might need a rename in that case, but that's a problem for later, once we've decided on set flavor.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 28, 2020

510rems
Mar 26, 2010

Lack of Bear posted:

Inhale is cool, but imagine a green 5 drop that says "when ~ leaves the battlefield, target player draws three cards." You would never choose your opponent. Also, it is delayed, but it is still card draw, so I would be careful about the numbers.

PMush Perfect posted:

What if Inhale always let you return exactly 1? Higher inhale wouldn't mean more draw, but more choice on what to draw, like a pseudo-scry, but could also be a pseudo-fateseal AND a pseudo-mill. It'd fit really well into blue, mechanically, that way, too.

Inhale X (Exile the top X cards of target player's library. When this card leaves the battlefield, return one card exiled by this effect to its owner's hand.)

I imagine it might need a rename in that case, but that's a problem for later, once we've decided on set flavor.

The numbers issue was definitely something I was looking into fixing or adjusting somehow, but I think this rewrite that only ever returns one card but introduces card selection is cooler mechanically and addresses the issue fairly well.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

A later post has superceded this one.

Okay, here goes.

Ever since I was introduced to double strike and the idea of last strike, I've tried to think of ways to play around in that design space. One attempt is vengeful strike, which gives a creature indestructible just long enough for it to land an extra last strike hit. I'm not sure if it actually works with the current timing rules, but I sure would like it to!

It's primary in black, secondary in red and white, and I can imagine it fitting as tertiary in green. Blue's a harder fit, at least to my mind.

In a similar vein, there's counter strike. I originally invented it as "Jedi strike" for a hypothetical Star Wars set; the idea of someone deliberately waiting for someone else to initiate before matching and then outperforming them felt very Jedi to me.

In Magic, I think it fits best in blue, with white as secondary.

Finally, Prismatic. I've mentioned before that I have a love affair with the idea of all-color decks. Unfortunately, the obvious mechanics to encourage that have already been invented, so here's my shot.

Anshu fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 12, 2020

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Anshu posted:

Vengeful Strike, Jedi Strike, Prismatic

Vengeful Strike seems very powerful for an aggro deck because it means that 90% of the time their creatures can trade up. Last Strike is currently not in the rules in real though, only in paper in the Unsets because they don't need to actually work the way the rules are, they can just say it happens.

Counter Strike may not work because that would mean you would already need a huge amount of first strike in the set for it to matter in any way, in constructed or limited. Having too much first strike in limited warps combat in very negative ways - people never want to attack.

And Prismatic has the Devoid problem - saying its all colors will mean...what? None of your cards and their designs care about being all five or no colors.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

AJ_Impy posted:

Something simple, straightforward, but potentially very versatile.

I was going to go back and resubmit 'mirror' from that contest I won ages ago but I like this templating better

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

GoutPatrol posted:

Prismatic has the Devoid problem - saying its all colors will mean...what? None of your cards and their designs care about being all five or no colors.

There's plenty of established design around the idea of color mattering: protection, devotion, several cases of straightforwardly counting how many permanents have a given color – but as established design, that's outside what I'm supposed to be presenting in this contest.

BaiSha
Jul 9, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is a neat idea but I'd suggest swapping from whenever you could cast a sorcery to whenever you could cast this creature? This future proofs it so that any creatures with flash can have their husk cost at instant speed.

I did think about that, the original plan was to just add a rider like from before flash was keyworded like this

after reading your post I thought maybe basing the keyword on evoke would work better

Anshu posted:

There's plenty of established design around the idea of color mattering: protection, devotion, several cases of straightforwardly counting how many permanents have a given color – but as established design, that's outside what I'm supposed to be presenting in this contest.
I'm wondering about the "can" and "or" on the prismatic cards. Like if you attack with Baras Master and I block with White Knight what happens?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

BaiSha posted:

I'm wondering about the "can" and "or" on the prismatic cards. Like if you attack with Baras Master and I block with White Knight what happens?

My concept right now is that I would be able to say, "Baras Master counts as colorless right now," bypass the protection from black, and have the combat continue normally.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ungulateman posted:

I was going to go back and resubmit 'mirror' from that contest I won ages ago but I like this templating better

I think there can be plenty of room for a mechanic that let's you copy stuff or cares about having 2 of the same thing on the battlefield. It kind of amazes me that there hasn't been one made already (I guess they feel like making something kinda close to impossible for EDH means its a no-go now.)

But the mirror idea gave me an idea for something else. In M21, they made a new card that cares about having 2 of the same thing on the battlefield:

Why can't this be its own thing? And it pays well with the Twin idea. I see it working primarily in white and black and tertiary in green. I'm making this quick at work so I didn't find time to get a picture.

(I had totally forgotten they just made a red card with that name in M21, whoops)

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019
I'm super excited to do this with everyone! Last year I tried really hard to make a set all by my lonesome, but it was just too much for one person to undertake.

You know what sort of card I like? They were called Mongers, and I'm not going to post them so you'll have to look it up. Basically mongers (and a bunch of cards like them) were creatures with an activated ability that any player could activate. My main favorite format is commander, followed by draft, so cards that encourage multiplayer play is always a plus for me.

The reality is though that the monger creature type was sort of bad and limited. Outside of Commander's group hug, why play a card that is just as good for your opponent as it is for you? Here's my solution: Introducing, Monger.

Monger is a keyword that opens up a permanent's activated abilities to everyone at the table, but grants YOU a Silver whenever they do, letting you be a fun merchant for a table. (It's a silver to allow one cost activated abilities to work without encouraging infinites.) This combines people's love of playing other people's stuff and everybody's love of getting a free mana. This card up here is the idea incarnate: This dryad will sell you various herbs. The book will let you scry; it'll let anyone take a look, but they have to pay you. After all, it's your book.

The fun thing about monger is you can get pretty weird with it. Here's a Xantcha inspired card that uses the keyword:

This guy represents a sort of card that benefits anyone and even hurts you! But with Monger, you're getting some good out of it every time someone else shocks you with it (PS, should it do 2 damage? I feel like it shouldn't.) This is the sort of card that I think would make a fun Commander, but doesn't feel too out of place in a Conspiracy or Mercadian Masques style set.

Finally you have these two cards. That dragon gets a form of fire breath that doesn't utilize monger in 1v1, but is extremely fun in multiplayer (flailing manticore is a similar card that does this that already exists, though it's far more volatile). Paying someone to kill another player is very in the spirit of the monger. Plague Dealer shows off Monger's ability to give off a universal affect. Do you want to allow these germs to keep getting stronger? Do you join in on the fun or do you shut the card down?

Monger works because it allows a wealth of interactions that can, at least on rares, be posted without the extra text of "any player can activate this ability. If a player who is not you activates this ability" all over the place. Just an elementary search of "kingmaker MtG" reveals how many people want to play this "my cards put into motion great stories" style of play.

itsmekidney fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If they don't create a Treasure token proper (t,s, 1 mana of any color) they should say it in their card text (create a Silver token with "etc"). Sabak Reak should say "1 life" not "a life". Generally 'you' refers to the card's owner, so "Sabak Reak's controller loses 1 life. Draw a card." is probably the correct wording.

I feel like the reminder text should be worded differently, (Something like: "Any player may active this card's abilities. If a player who's not this card's controller does, this card's controller creates a Silver token with 'Tap, Sacrifice this artifact, add one colorless mana.'") but since reminder text isn't rules text its all down to what is most intelligible.