Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

Reiche posted:

Because they made an honest mistake, which is still usually met with “well pay the idiot tax then” but this is an extremely good and important thread and the mods rock for clearing it up almost immediately!

As a white gay man, my knowledge of the Stonewall riots is unfortunately almost negligible and I’ve been feeling increasingly shameful when I realize how little I know about the history of LGBTQ rights.

Thank you for the thread!

They should pay the tax gently caress em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Mmkay

420 20
Apr 21, 2020
gently caress da mods

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

420 20 posted:

gently caress da mods

Consensually and with great tenderness

420 20
Apr 21, 2020
Mods are cops

gently caress the mods and anyone who scams freebies off them

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

Such Fun posted:

Consensually and with great tenderness

Whatever bootlicker

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Look who doesn't like good threads.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

420 20 posted:

Mods are cops

gently caress the mods and anyone who scams freebies off them

Or maybe chill the gently caress out? If they made him give money to SA right now it would still go to Lowtax. You are arguing that this person should pay $10 to a woman beater.

Also thanks for the thread op. I knew nothing of this event and it reminded me of GLOW last season.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

420 20 posted:

Whatever bootlicker

In this thread of all places you decide to be a piece of poo poo. gently caress off.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

420 20 posted:

Whatever bootlicker

lol

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

late as heck but if anyone's still interested In donating I found some good stuff in this article.

https://www.bustle.com/p/15-trans-rights-organizations-to-donate-to-right-now-40031

I donated $50 to the national center for transgender equality :cheers:

flubber nuts fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 29, 2020

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

late as heck but if anyone's still interested In donating I found some good stuff in this article.

https://www.bustle.com/p/15-trans-rights-organizations-to-donate-to-right-now-40031

I donated $50 to the national center for transgender equality :cheers:

Thanks for that link!

Also, guess who made it to a google doodle:

You could argue about google and corporate involvement in Pride, but I think it is an overall good thing that more people learn about Stonewall and who was involved

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017
hard tagging this thread to remind myself to look more into this later. seems interesting. glad TC got unbanned. what tag did they use?

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Fun fact: one of the reasons a gross, poorly-maintained, mafia-run, scammy bar was so popular is that other gay bars/private clubs were WILDLY classist and racist. The Stonewall Inn was one of the few places where gay and trans POC were accepted and could form a community within a queer space. A lot of the kids who had been kicked out and disowned by their families would hang out there simply to be off the streets for the night, which is in fact how Sylvia Rivera met Marsha; Marsha took Sylvia under her wing and taught her how to pass better, helped her find housing and work, etc.
Boystown in Chicago has much the same problem. Once a neighborhood full of punks and all kinds of gender-nonconforming/queer/trans people, especially drag queens, it soon became a queer Mecca. As gay white men moved in, they slowly drove up the cost of living in the neighborhood until the only people who could afford to live there were high-earning gay white male couples. Who promptly started calling the cops on the queer POC (primarily Black) kids who were literally coming and going from the only gay youth center in the city. We just had a Pride Without Prejudice March about it, and a LOT of queens of color shared their stories of discrimination, humiliation, and assault from the gay men and bars in the area.
If anyone feels like donating, the Brave Space Alliance is committed to an intersectional approach to the queer struggle in our community here.

Also, has anyone heard of the Compton Cafeteria Uprising in 1966? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton%27s_Cafeteria_riot

Thanks for this thread! Happy Stonewall Day!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Such Fun posted:

Seems I cant make this link work.
Anyway, this is Peppermint. She is a Black trans woman drag queen.
She gained fame through RuPaul’s Drag Race, but as you can imagine, there is more to a Black trans woman drag queen than being reality tv person. She has her own youtube channel (Miss Peppermint) with videos of her performances and also videos talking about her life. I don’t know if her videos are for everyone, but you can always check it out and decide for yourself.

Nice thread OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Fun fact: one of the reasons a gross, poorly-maintained, mafia-run, scammy bar was so popular is that other gay bars/private clubs were WILDLY classist and racist. The Stonewall Inn was one of the few places where gay and trans POC were accepted and could form a community within a queer space. A lot of the kids who had been kicked out and disowned by their families would hang out there simply to be off the streets for the night, which is in fact how Sylvia Rivera met Marsha; Marsha took Sylvia under her wing and taught her how to pass better, helped her find housing and work, etc.
Boystown in Chicago has much the same problem. Once a neighborhood full of punks and all kinds of gender-nonconforming/queer/trans people, especially drag queens, it soon became a queer Mecca. As gay white men moved in, they slowly drove up the cost of living in the neighborhood until the only people who could afford to live there were high-earning gay white male couples. Who promptly started calling the cops on the queer POC (primarily Black) kids who were literally coming and going from the only gay youth center in the city. We just had a Pride Without Prejudice March about it, and a LOT of queens of color shared their stories of discrimination, humiliation, and assault from the gay men and bars in the area.
If anyone feels like donating, the Brave Space Alliance is committed to an intersectional approach to the queer struggle in our community here.

Also, has anyone heard of the Compton Cafeteria Uprising in 1966? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton%27s_Cafeteria_riot

Thanks for this thread! Happy Stonewall Day!

I learned a lot from your post!

Also from the wikipedia article you posted:

quote:

The incident began when a transgender woman resisted arrest by throwing coffee at a police officer. It was followed by drag queens pouring into the streets, fighting back with their high heels and heavy bags.