Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Tax is bad and we're against it so here we fly our gold-fringed flags and post in subreddits.

(we want our pro-Lowtax poo poo replaced or removed, quote yourself or )

Shima Honnou posted:

Hey Cyrano change my bonetax tag to this for me I don't want to pay the avatar tax to get that set up myself until after the contracts are finalized and ownership transferred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I'm not a sovereign citizen or anything, but the legal fiction non-profit corporation called TARLIBONE has authorized me, a human traveling (never driving; not for hire) upon the corporate real holdings of Illinois under admiralty law, to present a list of legal fees that must be paid to me upon demand, in gold, for the privilege of continuing to fly a pro-Lotax banner. He also offers an alternative: just replace it with a place holder, as it being discussed in the community.

OK, all that nonsense aside (seriously, I felt myself getting stupider the more I typed), it was mentioned in the previous thread that the Roller Locks isn't a big deal because, hey, I gave a guy with a bad back some bucks so he could buy a not-bad back. I see commercials for the Laser Spine Center, and I figured he'd get one of those laser spines. (That's what they do, right?) But, this is one of those had-I-known-then-what-I-know-now deals, and... yeah. I'm not ashamed of myself for tossing him a few bucks. But, I no longer want to advertise that fact. Also, the combination of that banner and my custom text makes it look (to anyone who doesn't know Tarlibone) like I'm proud that I helped a monster out, and I'm asking if I'm a bad person for it. Funny? Sure. But not in a good way.

This reminds me of my Confederate flag stuff. I used to have some; my mom would get me mementos decorated with them here and there over the years because while she raised me in Illinois, she birthed me in North Carolina, and until around 10 years ago or so, we had no idea what the symbol meant lots of people. I mean, in Illinois, there aren't any Confederate monuments, nobody flew the flag back then (that has changed--thanks, devotees of Glorious Leader!), and as far as we knew, it was just an icon that meant "I'm from the South." When I finally figured it out and just accepted why it was becoming more popular, in particular with a certain crowd, I cleaned house.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

I'm down for getting rid of this poo poo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I'd be OK with adding anything, but I don't want to lose anything in my title.

Ok, the FUN SHOE was for donating to the forums in a time of need and it's not absurd, it's stupid. I could lose that one.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Captain Log posted:

Ok, the FUN SHOE was for donating to the forums in a time of need and it's not absurd, it's stupid. I could lose that one.

Same. I never even wanted it in the first place so if that can go it'd be cool.

Frankie
Feb 22, 2006

Please remove my shame.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Once again not donating to internet weirdos turns out to be the morally correct choice

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

But I like being a plaster town cop.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Jokes on everyone else, I won my account in a TFR contest bringing in newbies. I haven't given lowtax one red cent.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I don't mind the "Fun Shoe" or whatever it is because, IIRC, I was donating to the forums when the forums needed money. Yeah, it's owned by a guy who needs money, but unless I'm misremembering (Miss Remembering: The new beauty pagent loser title!), this was money for forums, not money to ensure someone's physical ability to smack a woman. I felt like I was giving someone gas money for a ride, not just giving him money for whatever (like I did for the Roller Locks thing).

Or is Fun Shoe just another Confederate flag? Jesus, how much crap do I have that I don't know is offensive to people?? What about these Hindu-themed good luck curtains I have hanging in my window? Because I've been getting looks from the neighbors.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I literally went years without knowing why it showed up under my Av. I don't think anyone is thinking too much about them. I'd be glad to lose it.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 27, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

It was nice at the time to show that I kicked $50 to the forums but gently caress Lowtax. Iím ok with losing my tag.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 29, 2020

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

DeesGrandpa posted:

Once again not donating to internet weirdos turns out to be the morally correct choice

It was pretty easy to justify never donating if you retained spite against the owner and/or the management for their past disagreeable actions. Like, "I can see that the server costs are out of hand or you have insurmountable medical bills, but maybe you should have thought of that before you banned (x) user or gassed (y) thread."

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

It was pretty easy to justify never donating if you retained spite against the owner and/or the management for their past disagreeable actions. Like, "I can see that the server costs are out of hand or you have insurmountable medical bills, but maybe you should have thought of that before you banned (x) user or gassed (y) thread."

Oh to be clear I had no info on any of that and didnt blame lotax for anything (I hadn't even hear the prior "kidnapping" story). This was 100% me just thinking eh this guy seems like a weirdo I bet I'll regret this

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I was too unemployed to donate money when his spine exploded, but I did use a Twitch Prime sub on his channel for a couple months.

If someone makes a SAAZ tag is that enough reason for me to get one?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

Same. I never even wanted it in the first place so if that can go it'd be cool.

Jeffrey has said that making the donation titles an optional toggle is on his hit list but as you can imagine he has some more urgent priorities at the moment.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just want to get rid of "Grimey Drawer" because it's dumb and I was dumb for donating enough to get a dumb tag.

Replacing it with a kickass gently caress Lowtax-ality gang tag would be nice, along with keeping my current av and title, of course.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

DeesGrandpa posted:

Yup. Though I like the idea of the SAAZ tag.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tyro posted:

Yup. Though I like the idea of the SAAZ tag.

+1 and I submit this as historical justification assigning me said tag:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925033&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2276#post505946156

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ok. First off I canít do anything about the beige donation things. That poo poo isnít a gang tag itís some hard coded weirdness. Thatís a Jeremy fix.

Normal gang tags, however, are basically avs that I can gently caress with at will using the admin panel.

What Iím going to do is this: if someone indicates they want a thing gone Iíll edit the offending tag out with a filler line:

<removed per user request gently caress Lowtax>

At some date in the future if you find a tag you want more tell me and Iíll drop it in. It would be great if someone spooled up a TFR tag. There was talk of an SAAZ one a while back.

This is complicated by the fact that our image upload admin quit. RIP Bird you were a real one. The new guy (Arthanos) is figuring it out but I donít want to overload him.

So Iíll prioritize getting the poo poo down but getting a replacement might take a bit.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

For the record I was willing to drop the $10 to manually change my own Bonetag to a Fucktag using the classic "first as avatar then as farce" method, but not until I know the money won't be routed around to the beatdown fund.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah hold off for now. Legal docs are being drawn up but theyíre still in the lawyer phase of things.

Shits gonna happen but itís not a done thing yet.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

"TFR: Shooting The poo poo About Shooting poo poo"

Independence
Jul 11, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah hold off for now. Legal docs are being drawn up but theyíre still in the lawyer phase of things.

Shits gonna happen but itís not a done thing yet.

Let people know if he needs help paying for the servers/bandwidth/new cars. I stupidly was contributing to his Patreon because I thought it was keeping SA from going away. I didn't know it was subsidizing the Pill King's lifestyle.

I get too much use out of SA for it to just go away from neglect.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So Iím paraphrasing here and take this with a huuuuuuge grain of salt. I could be misremembering I could just be wrong. I was part of a LOT of conversations when all this was kicking off and a lot of them were hectic and late at night.

Anyways iirc Jeffrey said that financially speaking the website is actually pretty self sufficient. Heís talked about using money that is raised - be it from ads or patreon or legacy purchases like avs etc - as a kind of war chest to do poo poo like forums upgrades, pay people for poo poo like front page articles, etc.

Again let me emphasize that this is all basically hear say and Iím not speaking for the man and in fact you should ignore me and assume Iím full of poo poo. But thatís the general thrust as I have understood it.

Which is all a long winded way of saying that I donít think the problem was ever paying for hosting, but that the forums were Lowtaxís sole source of income.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

tarlibone posted:

I'm not a sovereign citizen or anything, but the legal fiction non-profit corporation called TARLIBONE has authorized me, a human traveling (never driving; not for hire) upon the corporate real holdings of Illinois under admiralty law, to present a list of legal fees that must be paid to me upon demand, in gold, for the privilege of continuing to fly a pro-Lotax banner. He also offers an alternative: just replace it with a place holder, as it being discussed in the community.

I love this post so much

mikerock fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 1, 2020

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Yea I plan on ditching my av ASAP once the deal is done.

Cyrano4747 posted:

What I’m going to do is this: if someone indicates they want a thing gone I’ll edit the offending tag out with a filler line:

<removed per user request gently caress Lowtax>

If its possible/not a hassle to change the text on my av before then to the user requested gently caress Lowtax I would be most appreciative.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ok sorry for letting this slip through the cracks for a bit.

If you look up thread you'll see that the people who asked for the lowtax donation poo poo to be taken off have had it done if it was a gang tag. Find me something else you want and I'll replace it with a thing of your choice. If someone wants to make a SAAZ tag to commemorate that it would be a cool choice.

The beige donation things aren't done the same way. Jeffrey is working on a way to be able to toggle those at your discretion but he's got some higher priority poo poo he's working on right now.

You know, like buying this dump.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh and if anyone else wants them pulled off post in here and I'll do that. I promise it won't take a few weeks this time.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh and if anyone else wants them pulled off post in here and I'll do that. I promise it won't take a few weeks this time.

Sure, why not.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

im sad the roller locks of love gang tag has to go. can we reintroduce the concept in the future for a domestic violence charity?

also i cant wait for my dumb beige thing to go away

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Miso Beno posted:

also i cant wait for my dumb beige thing to go away

I didn't even know what it was or why it was there for years. There was an MMA fighter five or six years ago called, "Shoe Face" or "Face Shoe" then his nickname was humorously translated from Portuguese. I thought it was some weird way a MMA poster was calling me ugly. Somehow. Sorta.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Yeah clear out my Roller Locks of Love too please. Hopefully we can find something cool to replace it with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It really is a cool tag and Iím sorry to see it go.

If anyone wants to rebrand it a bit with a mild redesign Iíll happily slap it around for a new charity drive. Lots of forums have threads to get people to throw a few bucks at worthy causes in exchange for av bling and Iíd be happy to do the same here.

Just if we do a pledge drive type thing letís keep it to non-gun poo poo. Donating to the SAF and all is well and good but given the sites recent history Iíd personally like to see us focus on something that doesnít directly benefit ourselves. Donating to protect your rights as a gun owner is a good thing but itís not quite the charitable act of, say, donating to a group that feeds the homeless or RAINN or something similar.