Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Asarluhi - Deep Swamps, Eastern Belad

Asarluhi watched and waited, lurking in the marsh beyond the village, their presence frightening both birds and beast into disturbing silence. Rarely was the swamp so quiet. Asarluhi amused themselves while they waited by draining the blood of beasts and birds around the village, gathering it to themself.

The show began as darkness fell. A dark mist began to rise around the Tree Village, and with it the strange howls and calls of some unseen animals. Shapes moving in the darkness, shadows passing over windows and under doors. And everywhere the mist closes in, smothering lights and extinguishing torches. Homes had their shutters smashed in by unseen attackers while family members were dragged into the mist, screaming. The growing cries of fear and terror were music to Asarluhi, who drank it in as they drank in blood. The Town was an orchestra, and Asarluhi the conductor. From the shadows, they directed the symphony; a gesture here to cinch the net, the wave of a claw to smother a torch in a mist of blood. And then a crescendo of screams! A lash of crimson from the darkness to encourage this villager or that to flee for their lives, with bleeding wounds on chest and face and arm, the claws of some phantom beast, while bloody forms hidden by mists and darkness stalked this way or that. The village bell at last began to ring, an alarm in the night to warn all of the coming danger. A call to arms! A call to shelter! To safety! To safety! Had it been a watchful villager? Or had Asarluhi rung the bell themself? It did not matter. At every turn the panic and danger of the night guided and herded the villagers toward that promise of safety. A blocked path here, a break in the mists there, a call in the distance; "This way! To me!"

Soon the Town Hall would be an island in the mist, isolated but apparently impenetrable to the evil that stalked the villagers. And then eventually there would be silence... and it would be time to talk. And to feed.

Waiting until night, and then using Fear +2 and Blood +2 to terrorize the village into seeking refuge at Town Hall. Creating a Zone of Fear around the village that slowly constricts to force the villagers to flee to Town Hall, enforced by Blood to selectively kill for maximum terror and maim those who do not seek refuge at Town Hall, and for all the physical effects required. The Zone of Fear takes the form of Spooky Mists, Dark Shapes, and Scary Sounds. A couple runners will be allowed to slip the net in order to make sure word of the "attack" makes it to the next village.

Asarluhi will remain unseen until everyone is collected.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Canapsis - On the march, Xatos

While the Orphanus marched, Canapsis was troubled by the issues of food and sustenance. His people could not subsist on magic and the sun like he could and so would starve or die of thirst in time. But then he paused and considered this more. Maybe they could survive on sunlight, at least for a bit at least. Living creatures made of flesh and bone were not meant to live off of the sun alone, they would need food. But it could sustain them for a time and supplement their hunting and meager rations.

So while they marched, Canapsis taught his children how to draw the essence out of sunlight. This came as a thick viscous golden liquid, which could then be placed into a jar or bottle and mixed into a form that could be drunk. Once someone learned the magic to draw out the sunlight's essence it was relatively simple to do and there was no doubt that a human or someone else could learn to do so as well. But why would they have thought to try before now? And the magic was necessarily straightforward to figure out without a teacher.

"Thou art of the ground, and art made of flesh and bone. Remember that thou will still hunger and surely as the setting sun, perish, if thou relies only upon sunlight for thy supper. But We give you this knowledge to help sustain you in this trying time. May it serve thee and thy descendants well in other times of duress as well."

Teaching the Orphanus how to distill sunlight into a drink. It can't sustain the body forever without food, but it can give a boost of energy and sustain someone for a while. Sun [+4]

Also because I think the narrative consequences are interesting, this should not be something that the Orphanus alone can do. I don't think anyone else has figured it out yet but it should be something anyone with the right knowledge can do. Also I would expect pure essence of the sun's light should have some other interesting properties if someone tried to use it in a potion.

But I would expect the Orphanus for now at least just to learn only what they have been taught. Of course this all depends on the dice roll, but just some thoughts about making this interesting later on.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Seraphi- Jaaskir refugee village of Corinth

The people were shocked at the sudden change in the guard’s form, and though not hostile Seraphi could sense a wall between themselves and the village. Their heart rent from the people’s lamentations, Seraphi was determined to make their presence known. But now was not the time. They could feel the elder wasn’t ready .

“Calm yourselves, I mean you no harm. But if this sight terrifies you, if this boy’s dead body wounds you, and if you scramble for what was once known as hope, come to the gates tonight at dusk and await our return. Soon, you all will find your strength once more, children.”

Bounding away with a whirl of darkness, he sprinted to the edge of the village near the guardhouse.

“My warrior. What is thy name?” Seraphi spoke from within him as they ran.

The guard didn’t speak, but Seraphi could feel his response without words, "Dar."

“Very well, Dar, come. Let us adjourn to the forest, and we shall return at nightfall with gifts for my children. Fear not, for I walk with you.”

With a sudden leap, Dar bounded up and over the high wall, his reinforced legs absorbing the shock of his heavy frame as his heels dug into the earth. Seraphi could feel Dar’s rapid and confused heartbeat, but using his sense of muscle memory, They ran deep into the thick foliage.

Seraphi needed some proof of his intent, something to show he had the villagers' interests at heart. Monsters had driven them near to extinction and monsters would become their salvation. Seraphi would test this warrior’s mettle in combat, and stack the trophies of their hunt at the elders feet that evening as an offering. But first, they needed to find the elusive demons.

In the daylight the forest was still dangerous, but much less so, and Seraphi cast their gaze about looking for the creatures’ shelter. Seraphi spotted a wide mouthed cave in the distance and as they approached Dar’s anxiety began to spike. Reading the tension like a book, Seraphi was certain that this was the correct choice.

“Excellent,” Seraphi thought, “this should do just fine”

With that they slowly entered the pitch black cavern, and began hunting down their quarry.

Use moonlight +2 to see in the dark and maintain situational awareness, and in the dark be able to use shadows+2 to deal with any enemies they may find

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Lupa - Village of Lamlar, Southwestern Belad

Lupa accepted the howls of celebration and the affection of her new children with equal serenity, her expression soft and calm in the face of unmitigated victory. She had no illusions that it would always be so easy, but for now, she allowed herself a brief moment to enjoy their triumph.

Only a moment though; there was still work to be done. Even with their ranks now expanded, the cubs and the overworked slaves they had freed would not be enough to hold this village – it was time together up what supplies they could and return to the rest of the pack.

She addresses her hunters first, of course.

"It is time, my children. We must return home to the brothers and sisters that remained behind; fetch the human's carts and horses, and pile them high with whatever supplies can be found. Timber, produce, cloth, seeds, ore and steel if you can find it. We will need everything we can take to secure our den. The betrayers are cowardly and foolish, but even they will not allow their dens to be ruined, and we must be ready for them".

Carefully, she picks up each of the children by the scruff of the neck, lifting them with her massive muzzle and placing them on her back, both her newest cubs and the youngest of the former slaves alike; there doesn't seem room at first, even given her massive size, but she is a god, and trivial concerns like 'enough room' are hardly going to stop her. In the end, they all fit.

"I know you have already worked hard, my children, and those soft-skinned fools who dared call themselves your masters have not been kind. But I must ask just a little more of you, help my hunters gather what they need. I will be there with you, to support you, and strengthen you, and your little ones will be safe under my watch as I lead you home to your kin".

Time to head home with the spoils of war. Having my hunters gather up as much as they can, and asking the now free Maju-Inu to assist. Invoking Motherhood +2 to encourage the witch-dogs, and a bit of Witchcraft +2 to share her strength and vitality with the former slaves, to give them the strength to assist and the stamina to endure the trip home.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Saztax - Western Desert, Raygar

The memories of Zavraz

The water was tainted and foul. And many grew ill from drinking it. There were those who were whispering against them. Said we had betrayed the way of our ancestors. But we'd seen where the way of our ancestors were leading us towards.

It was then that our lord spoke. "If food you need, then food you will have." And with that, they conjured four birds. They looked skinny and sickly. But rather than feed them to us, he let them fly,, each going in a different direction.

"In their body are the eggs. They will die soon." The Lord spoke. "Creatures will feast on them. The eggs will hatch, the parasites will lay eggs in their new hosts, who will be devoured, spreading quickly. Far quicker than any other creature might without my help."

"And they will have one effect. Each of those creatures, infected with this parasite. The smell of Vleeg, they will come towards it. It will be the smell of their pray. It will be the smell of their mating partner. And they... will be food."

Sorry for the short post. Didn't want to hold things up and trying to figure some ways out. But thanks to the hint from Reggie, I'm going to use a Toxoplasmosis on steroids kind of disease to spread through what little life is there in the desert, to rapidly spread and cause local wildlife to seek out Vleeg when they're there, and make for tasty meals. Disease[+2] feels like it applies.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The Grand Treefather - Northern Forest, Belad

As the walls grew, the Treefather slumbered, his awareness narrowed to just himself and his slowly growing saplings. In time he woke again and, seeing people still gathered to give him worship, he spoke. "The realm is defended, in way. But to ensure my people are safe we need to learn to defend ourselves more. Every Aldryami should know how to use a variety of weapons for defense, especially those fine bows that have been given as gifts. Choose among you 5 Champions, they shall be the military leaders of this new community and it shall be their duty train and protect."

The mighty tree shuddered and groaned as a massive branch was broken off and crashed to the ground.

"I gift to you this wood of my wood, torn from me willingly. Use it to craft 5 mighty weapons. The walls grow, but they must be defended."

Flora +4 to create 5 divine weapons to gift to 5 champions. These shall give the champions speed, agility, and other such superherolike qualities.

After discussing it with Valhawk, my Flaw will be changing to Immobile -2. The Treefather cannot move except with extreme effort.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Colossus - Foot of the Great Central Mountains, Unclaimed Territory

Following the raiders into the village, Colossus sits down on a worn-down slab of stone that once upon a time was the base of a mighty pillar. As the minotaurs break into celebration, something like a smile starts to creep onto the stone giant's face." When I first saw this settlement," he says, "I was worried. I could see your suffering, and I could feel your strife. Now, I worry not."

"Today is a new beginning. What we have gotten today, know that it is just the start. It is a foundation that we will build upon, and that we will use to rise to the heights your ancestors held ages and ages ago." The giant gestures at the ruins that surround the village. "These ruins were not always ruins." He points at one ruined structure, then another. "That was once a tower, that was once a fortified wall, and this," he points to the ground beneath him, "was once a great dining hall."

Colossus makes a grand sweeping gesture, and suddenly the ground starts to shift. Layer after layer of dirt comes alive and sweeps itself away until they reveal an ancient mosaic floor hidden underneath. "The things that they built, we can rebuild."

He makes another godly gesture. Pieces of stone rubble start piecing themselves together and rebuilding a set of ancient walls. Where pieces are missing, fresh stone flies in and shapes itself to fit the gaps. "Here and elsewhere, your ancestors built works great and small. They built cities, fortresses, and monuments greater than any other. I remember these things because those same hands built me as well. I can feel their memories."

The process continues as Colossus holds up his hands. "Together, we can reclaim what they once had."

Emphasizing my point by doing a cool trick and reconstructing an ancient dining hall around the crowd. Using Earth [+2] to excavate the part that's covered by a thousand years of dirt and to control stone and rubble, and Craftsmanship [+2] to actually build the building.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Cowl - Steamwal, Oenan

You assemble your disguise, drawing from the dressers of many nobles you are faced with the fact that you know little of human customs generally, must less the fashion preferences of the elites. Still you manage to put together something you deem to be presentable. Combined with the carriage you roll into the town via the main road. The local bazaar sits at the nexus of that road and the town’s modest docks. As your carriage pulls in, all eyes are upon you. Though you do not realize it, you cut quite the eccentric figure. The strange sense of fashion, the mask, the carriage, all have the effect of making you stand out. However, in some ways that eccentric aura only enhances the signals of wealth you are putting out. For you arrive in an expensive carriage, and are wearing clothes made from fine materials, if you were not wealthy and powerful, how could you possibly get away with such garish mismatched attire and the masquerade mask. The guards hang back clearly thinking better of potentially earning the ire of a wealthy man, waiting to see what you do. The merchants are also cautious, you can feel their eyes upon you trying to determine whether you were a risk or opportunity. The entire bazaar held its breath, waiting to see what this wealthy intruder would do.

The mist rolls into the village of Arhold. By itself that shouldn’t have set the villagers on edge, mists were usual enough in the wet confines of the swamps, but there was something about this particular evening that didn’t sit right. A thousand little concerns gnawed at the edge of their consciousnesses, things seemed to move suddenly just at the corner of their vision, strange sounds echoed from the encroaching night. The village bell rang, sounding danger. The people were slowly herded by your magic into the village center. A largely unfurnished general purpose space used for storage.

You can hear the sounds of their fear, taste it on the air as you stoke it and stoke it and stoke it. A few sudden injuries, growls in the night, mixed with the heavy aura of divine fear and you soon had the entire village huddled in the center of the village. The bolder ones were starting to gather weapons and torches, the weaker merely looked nervously out into the darkness.

Canapsis - On the march, Xatos

Following your lead, led by the promises of new homes and new lives, the Orphaus leave behind the ruins of their village. Knowing food will be an issue, you work to teach the Orphanus how to harness the sun to provide some degree of sustenance. It is more difficult for them than you initially expected. For unassisted the spell is simple enough for them to learn, but it is hardly efficient. Perhaps with vast fields and prepared equipment the spell might return results worthy of the effort, but for the Orphanus refugees they cannot make enough to make the effort worthwhile, at least not on their own.

However, determined to find success and to sustain them until they can witness first hand the truth behind your promises, you teach them a slightly different version of the spell. This one relies on a link to you and your own divine affinity for the sun. This version, dependent on you, turns out to be hundreds of times more efficient than the unassisted version.. Allowing an individual willing to spend an hour or two at mid-day when the sun was at its height to gather enough of the substance to supplement their rations sufficiently to allow their existing supplies to last until they arrive in the vicinity of the nearest human settlement.

The Orphanus are on edge, the imperative to avoid human settlements drilled into them for generations. As you approach, you can see a faint line of blue smoke, and when you arrive at the outskirts of the village proper one of the mercenaries comes to greet you. The man bows reverently and offers up a fervent prayer to you before he gives his report. “God, your will has been done. This village is yours, its inhabitants have been captured and restrained. None escaped our efforts, though we were forced to cut down a handful of them.” He gestures to a barn on one side of town, which is clearly under guard by a majority of the mercenaries.

Don’t forget to give this substance a name.

Seraphi- Jaaskir refugee village of Corinth

Dar charged into the cave, it's dark confines illuminated by the glowing hypnotic eyes you granted him when you changed him. Within, you and he massacre the cave’s monstrous inhabitants. All varieties of dangerous creatures pierced by spears formed of shadow or bludgeoned with Dar’s supernaturally powerful physique. Soon you had a veritable mountain of carcasses, proof that there was little in the forest that could hope to challenge the might of a god and his chosen one.

Lupa - Village of Lamlar, Southwestern Belad

Your hunters and the freed slaves quickly get to seizing what supplies and goods they could carry. They found their various burdens to be surprisingly light, as your power flows through them, granting them enhanced strength and stamina. As for the children, they wait comfortably on your back, eventually drifting off to sleep as you lead your people back to the village. Just as before this village was a few days' travel away, but you make excellent time.

When you return to the Maju-Inu village, those who remained behind are overjoyed at the bounty of goods and the freed slaves joining their pack. A feast breaks out, with much singing and dancing that lasts long into the night.

The sickly birds take flight, breathing out microscopic eggs with each breath. This new micro-plague spreads outward with surprising alacrity, and soon it began to pay dividends. An ever increasing stream of small animals approach, mindlessly seeking out the nearest Vleeg. First a handful, then dozens, then hundreds of small mammals, birds, reptiles, and insects. Eventually the flow slows and ceases as all possible infected creatures converge into a single location. However, you would need to be careful, for now the Vleeg, though not directly affected, were carriers, and unless careful would infect other wildlife. Regardless, once the various wildlife was killed, the tribe would have plenty of supplies.

What artisans remained among the Aldryami took the wood you provided and from it crafted five wooden spears. The spears were perfectly balanced and were stronger than if they had been made of steel while still having the lightness and flexibility of wood. When they were presented to you, you could feel your divine energy suffusing them, energy that would flow to whomever wielded them. For the Aldryami the energy would make them strong and quick, the divine power of plants filling them. For fleshlings, you could not be certain they would have any effect, after all it was the divine power over plants that powered the spears.

As for champions, the Aldryami did not have much in the way of a military. What warriors they had once had had long since given their lives in defense of their people. The Aldryami were too focused on day to day survival to train a new class of warriors. There were some hunters and scouts, but there were no obvious warriors to meet your requirements.

The earth around you obeys your divine will, the ruins of the structure gather, ancient damage repaired by fresh stone which flows like water to seamlessly fill cracks and missing pieces. The minotaurs can do nothing but stare in awe, as an ancient structure lost to time is made as good as new by a divine miracle. When it is over, for a few minutes they marvel at the miracle you have performed, then they gather before you, bowing low. One of them, an elder, speaks, “Great one, first you bring us victory and now you show us the depth of your power. Please, lead us back to what we once were.”

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

The Treefather realized slowly that he probably should have been exact with his wording. His chuckle as he realized his mistake rumbled through the forest itself. "A lesson to take to heart, my people. Even I am not infallible. A mistake is merely an opportunity to learn and to grow. As obviously, I am good at growing." He chuckled again. After all, with his awakening he was obviously the largest and most expansive tree in the entirely of the forest now. "A Champion is not merely a warrior. A Champion is a leader. The finest hunter, the finest artisan, the finest statesman, the finest farmer, and the finest builder. These are all your Champions. And with five, there can never be a deadlock. If assistance for the decision is needed, then I shall act as judge. But it is you, my glorious people, who truly must decide. We are no longer merely surviving, we are now thriving!"

Instructing the Aldryami to find champions among them again, but this time being more specific. Using Flora +4 to identify Champions not only based on prowess, but also on character and who truly will put them people above self. The Aldryami will be a collectivist as I can mold them!

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
"Lord" Cowl - Steamwal, Oenan

Cowl stood looking at the onlookers and they looking at him. The guards seemed tame and the merchants interested.

Turning to the purple haired driver he whispered, "Keep to the carriage, but be ready in case this goes...badly."

He turned to the crowd and then the merchants. "Please excuse my exentricities, I've come from a ways off and it has been so long since I've been in polite society...like this. I am Lord Cowl." He pulled out a mismatched kurchef and dabbed non existent sweat from his brow. "I'm looking for merchants to supply my lands. I've taken a recent interest in agriculture and potentially more. If someone could point the way?" He asked hopefully.

Truth -2: He's got to say it as he sees things which is why he's not lying through his teeth. That edge tho.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Asarluhi - Arhold -> Deep Swamps, Eastern Belad

quote:

Asarluhi drifted out from the darkness, blood dripping from its claws, its breath the very mist that now ringed the huddled villagers in the darkness. “Trespassers. Trespassers in my domain. Your blood is mine. Your life is mine. Get down on your knees and beg my mercy. Kneel, or die.”

A small handful of the villagers, already in the process of arming themselves charge wildly at you brandishing what weapons they have.

The monstrous god reached out a claw, ‘seizing’ the blood of its attackers for its own, siphoning it from their bodies in a streaming red mist that it then consumed, leaving their exsanguinated corpses to fall dead on the floor. “Your blood and your lives belong to me. Kneel and live to serve, or die and satisfy my hunger.”

The corpses of those who tried to attack fall to the floor with a thump. There is a scream, and the remainder of the villagers cower. Some kneel, others merely recoil backwards, and some are just parlyzed in terror.

Asarluhi gazes down at both corpse and kneeling villager with malicious approval. “Some, I see, know their place and value their lives. Pray to your gods and see if they answer.” It uses one scythe-like limb to point at a kneeling villager. “You. The one in green. Yes, you. Do you wish to watch your fellows die? Tell them to kneel before I get hungry again.”

The man you pointed at voice quavers, “Please everyone, just do what he says.” Most of the restl kneel, though some are still just staring at you like deer at a headlight. Some have their relatives pull them down.

Asarluhi lowered itself slightly, half leaning, half crouching over the cowering villagers. It’s scythe-like arms began to idly pick over the corpses, rolling them over, shuffling their weapons across the floor. Was there anything resembling a proper weapon, or was it all sticks and pitchforks and clubs? “You now live and die at the pleasure of Asarluhi, the Life-Drinker. How will you make yourselves useful? How will you earn my mercy? Speak.”

“W-w-we’re simple folk…” He stammers out before quickly adding, “my lord.” After a tense pause he continues, “we gather peat to sell. It’s used as a fuel, you see.”

Asarluhi made a pleased, rumbling sound. “Good. Do you worship? Do you pray? You will. Every day you will thank me for my mercy. You will thank me for the blood I let flow through your veins. If the only offering you make to me is to keep me away, it is enough. And maybe, if you are hungry, you might find my favor.” It paused. “At what village do you sell your peat? Who travels there? Speak.”

“Y...yes, s...s...sir.” He responds, still trembling, though you did not feel faith from him like you did the Geth. He might be terrified, but he didn’t worship you, at least not yet. Still he was pliant enough for the moment, “Once a s...s...eason we travel to the county seat t...t...to sell our wares, it's about two weeks' travel from here. There isn’t one designated person who does it. Also, we get the occasional merchant who comes by to buy our goods and sell us supplies.”

“Good. You are welcome to beg them for help, though it will do you no good, and I will gladly accept the blood offering of their warriors on your behalf. One last thing; you will see the Geth, the leechmen, in the swamp. You will ignore them. They, like you, belong to me. Anyone who interferes or harms the Geth will beg me for a death I will not give them. Warn all who try. Capture any interloper, and you will be rewarded. Do you understand?”

“Y...y...yes, sir.”

Asarluhi drank in the fear radiating from the cowering villagers. With the swipe of a single claw, it sprayed a splash of blood against the wall behind them (or the floor before them if there was no wall), painting it with a sigil rendered in blood; the blood sign of Asarluhi.

Satisfied for the moment, the Life-Drinker casually collected the exsanguinated corpses of the men who had foolishly attempted to attack it, and drifted back into the darkness, gliding back into the swamp and back to the Geth whom it had left to their own devices for the time being. Mustn't leave them alone for too long.

Creating a simple Ritual; spilling Blood +2 and speaking the name "Asarluhi" out loud will create a conduit to Asarluhi, via the blood, proportional to the amount of blood spilled. Small amounts allow communication with the God of Blood. Larger ones allow Asarluhi to project its Power through the blood.

Also taking the corpses of the dead with me and returning to the Geth.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Lupa - Maju-Inu Village, Southern Belad

The wolf-mother was pleased.

Her smile is indulgent as she watches her children feast and celebrate their unexpected fortune; she watches as hope rears its delicate face once again as her children, free and once slave alike come together and rejoice, their pack made strong. There is still much work to be done, and she has much to teach her children, but their hearts are light and their spirits are high, and above them all Grandmother Moon watches, her eye half flitted in contentment. There is time for rest; her task can wait until morning.

When the sun finally breaks the horizon, she allows a few moments for her children to collect themselves and arise for the day, and then she begins her work – there was much to do and, a mother's duties are rarely complete.

Her newly transformed children are taken to an old clearing in the woods, and she brings with them a select group of villagers; her trustworthy hunters, a few elders, and what passes for the tribe's remaining healers and craftsmen. Some of them were freeborn, and some newly freed, but all of them have one thing in common – they have a special affinity for magic, stronger than most, and it is far past time for her to return to the witch-dogs their heritage and namesake.

She waits patiently for her children to settle in, and make themselves comfortable. They are likely to be here for some time, after all.

"My children, listen well and attend, for there is much I must teach you, and much you must learn and master, and time favors us ill. All of you have seen the miracles that I have performed since I was called to your side, and my hunters especially have learned some small fragment of the old magic. But that will not be enough; a few tricks will not stop the betrayers or bring them to justice, and so I have brought you here to teach you the witching ways, to give to you the power to bless and to curse, to pierce the fog of ignorance with the gift of Sight, as the witch-dogs of old once did. Here I give unto you the greatest of my gifts, the magic of the wild world; the power of bond, and blood, and bone, the secret wisdom of Grandmother Moon and Mother Earth. Attend me, my children, and drink deep of the waters of the old magic."

And thus she began.

Lupa is beginning the complicated process of turning the Maju-Inu into a respectable sorcerous society by teaching a select group of students the basics of witchcraft. This will be a mortal-level magic that has two main applications – Hexcraft, which is magic that alters/manipulates the capabilities of its target (i.e., blessings & curses), and Divination, which is exactly what it sounds like. I feel like these are appropriately "witchy" areas of focus that gives it just enough flavor and flexibility to be useful and unique without being way too broad. While all of her students will learn a little bit of each, she will mostly focus on teaching the adults in the group Hexcraft, so they can better serve the tribe as warriors, leaders, and craftsmen, and she will be teaching her formerly-human children Divination, so they can serve the tribe as oracles and advisors. Witchcraft +2 for obvious reasons, as she needs to make sure they grasp the fundamentals of witchcraft, and Motherhood +2 to help instruct her students.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

The memories of Zavraz

The appearance of food had reaffirmed the Swarm's faith in Saztax. We easily caught the critters that showed up from far and wide. But the people were tired, and the maggots were due to become pupae, and had to be buried. It would be only a few days, a few days of rest and recuperation before we trekked further south.

And I knew that. I knew that these were things that were simply needed if the swarm was to have a future. But seeing them fuss over the pupae, buzzing happily and sharing food, I could not help but feel angry, feel frustrated. Had these people forgotten the suffering we'd been made to bear? The anger mixed with the fever. I didn't eat all that much, the sickness in me making 'appetite' a distant memory. Especially compared to the meal that had given me the disease.

"They are forgetting." Saztax said, gazing over them. "They are resilient to suffering, eager to forget it. And they will let them get away with what they've done."

"No." I said, "They'll do it to us again! We need to remind them. Remind them how we felt."

Saztax nodded. "Then you will remind them. You carry me in your blood. The vengeance that I promise. Do not let the wounds heal fully. Let them fester and scar. So they will always remember what was done to them."

And they touched me, and I felt a small change, as the blood in me coursed, and my facetted eyes could suddenly see, when I looked at any of the swarm. See the most painful moments, the harshest losses, the very memories that drove them to call for Saztax. And I nodded. It would mean that I would be even more an outsider, one that reminded every one of their pain. But this too was part of getting our vengeance.

Going to give the Infected an extra talent to be able to see the experience that is the most 'vengeance driving' for that person, so that they can use it to make sure the rest of the Vleeg remain dedicated to the cause of vengeance. Using Vengeance [+2]

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Colossus raises his hand, gesturing for the crowd to rise. "If you ask me to lead, then I shall lead. But the work itself must be done by you. I am an architect, and you are laborers. I am a master, and you are apprentices. I can guide you to the path, but you must walk it yourselves."

"You should start here," he says. "With this town. You should take these things you call ruins, and make them into homes and halls that you can be proud of. Do as I have done and restore them. All around you are pieces of the past that your ancestors have left behind. Use them. Find the walls and foundations which still stand solid, and build upon them. Demolish and clear out that which has crumbled to time. This may seem difficult, but know that it is not impossible. Your ancestors did all of this on their own, and know this time that the Earth is on your side."

The giant stands up. "Know that my name is Colossus, and know that it has power over the earth. Use this to help you. When a stone refuses to move, speak my name and know that it will budge. When a stone needs to stay, say my name and know that it will hold steadfast."

"And finally," Colossus reaches down and puts his hand on the elder minotaur's head. In an instant, a wave of ancient memories is passed from God to follower. "Let me pass your ancestor's knowledge onto you. Take it and share it among yourselves. Their techniques will help you."

"Now, go on."

Going to have the Minotaurs build up their settlement into a proper classical-style town with cool stone buildings instead of just a village hidden in some ruins. Giving them a blessing of Earth [+2] to help them out with all of this stone work they'll have to do, and passing on my knowledge of Craftsmanship [+2] to help them with the actual construction and inspire them to get the project done.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Seraphi- forbidden forest near refugee village of Corinth

Stepping out of the darkness of the cave, Dar walked forward slowly, his shadow enhanced muscles glistening with the inky blood of the monsters he’d slain. Taking a look at the setting sun the warrior smiled, and Seraphi started to sprint toward the village gates. As he did so his shadow like tentacles carried the creatures aloft, the bodies of more than a dozen monsters trailing behind him. Arriving at the tall wall, Dar leaped up and over it with a single bound while the tentacles stayed out of sight beyond the village border

Gathered together, where he’d asked them to be, Seraphi saw more than half the village, huddled and scared by his new body, but also desperate for something to save them. Scanning the crowd, he saw paul hugging tightly to the elder’s torso, concern in his eyes.

Sending forth a blinding array of color from his eyes to enhance his speech now that the sky had turned a deep violet dusk, Seraphi addressed the Jaaskir:

“You, who have summoned me, I’ve heard your calls. I’ve heard the lamentations of grieving parents and the cries of orphaned children. i've seen you cower against the onslaught of the night and the pain of hunger.

But I have come to awnser those prayers,” As he continues he punctuates each sentence by reeling in one of his shadow tentacles from over the wall and throwing the mangled monster corpses on the ground in front of them:

“I am your god.” Thud.
“I am your guidance.” Thwack, two bodies at once.
“I am your king”, spoken in Dar’s own voice as three more land on the parched earth.
“And, more than all else, I am your savior.” Six more bodies join the pile, stacked trophies at their feet.
“ my actions, you see, are louder than words. These… creatures will no longer be of concern to you. You may eat to your heart's content.”

And, again in Dar’s booming voice, “And we shall drive the humans from their fortresses and reclaim our righteous place, as masters of the forests and guardians of the hills.”

“So I ask of you. Will you bind your souls to me?”

Use Moonlight +2 to spread an array of colors to emphasize the speech, use +2 shadows to make the visceral display. If the shadows do not work, then the speech continues as is without props, but regardless use +2 shadows to make an enthralling choreographed display of power in and of themselves

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

One after another various members of the Aldyami came before you. You looked them over, using your deep knowledge of plants to be able to divine much about each plant-persons nature and potential. Finally when all was said and done, you had your five champions: a scout, a builder, two farmers, and one of the tribe’s few remaining artists. They are gathered before you and bow low in reverence as you give each of them the divine spear you had constructed for them. They would be the new leaders among the Aldyrami, they would rule by your endorsement.

You are mobbed by various merchants, each eager to flog their goods. Seeds, fertilizer, farming tools, all up on offer from various different sources. Your real troubles were two-fold at the moment, the first telling apart the merchants with legitimate goods from the hucksters looking to take advantage of a stranger, and second the merchants flocked because they assumed you were flush with the coin of the realm which you currently had none of.

Enjoy your BP

You leave the terrified villagers behind with none to oversee or supervise them, such considerations were beneath your notice. You attempt to weave your power over the very nature of blood itself, but find that at your current level of power it was far beyond your reach. Still, you realize you could teach the Geth or others you so chose a spell to accomplish a similar effect, to allow through expended magic and blood a communion with you.

Those you gather are attentive students indeed, eager to learn whatever you have to teach. Over the new few weeks you help them gain a firm foundation in your unique brand of magic. It was in many ways unlike the magic practiced by humans and others. It drew on your own power and knowledge, fueled in part by your divine nature. The adults learned to grant boons and banes, blessings and curses, while the transformed children learned a different art. Since their change, their nature had been closer to yours, and you found them easy students, sucking up whatever knowledge you provided like a sponge. You had hoped to make them seers, and in a way you succeeded. Though instead of the future, through their magical arts they could view great distances and divine the thoughts and intentions of those nearby to them.

It was a more than respectable start, with additional time and training they would come forth with mastery of a magic unknown and unavailable to the world at large, a weapon all their own.

Ya, for the sake of my own sanity predicting the future is out.

You bestowed your gift upon Zavraz, the one who would in days to come become known as your priest and prophet, you gave him the power to see into the hearts of those he surveyed and see the wounds that lingered there. With that knowledge and your divine guidance he walked among the Vleeg needling them, picking at their wounded hearts, forcing them to relive each tragedy and humiliation anew. With each passing hour he sewed more and more hate into their hearts, until the Vleeg brayed with anger. As long as he walked among them the fire of vengeance in their hearts would never diminish. They would not be satisfied until the whole world burned, until every last human and all the others that had done nothing to help them was dead, until only Vleeg walked this continent and every other. The intensity of that fire, that hatred, would need to be shepherded carefully. Lest it turn towards others of the tribe and the Vleeg burned themselves out before they could burn the world to cinders.

Your speech moves your new followers to action. However, with what assistance you offer they struggle. It has been generations since they have attempted what you seek to have them begin now, and even with the earth pliable to their designs, they are still veritable infants when it comes to construction. They try their hardest, but the results of their efforts are paltry. They are mostly structurally sound, but to one with artistic sensibilities such as yourself their output was almost an insult, their pathetic structures so lacking in beauty that it wounded you to look upon them.

Sorry, you rolled snake-eyes. Gives me a good excuse to pick at your drawback though.

Seraphi- forbidden forest near refugee village of Corinth

The Jaskiir gather to see Dar’s return. There are gasps as the corpses of monsters each capable of levelling the entire village were dropped before them one after another. There are two distinct reactions to your words. For a vast majority, they looked on in increasing excitement at the prospect you offered, and when you asked for their obedience, they gave it gladly, bowing before you. However, the eldest among the Jaskiir, the elder and her circle that currently ran the village retreated before your might. They were scared by the changes being thrust upon them, preferring to remain trapped in the confines of the village than risk the tribe in your hands.

You can feel Dar bristle at their rejection, just as you could feel his pleasure at the rest of the people bowing before him and you.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Asarluhi - Geth Encampment, Deep Swamps, Eastern Belad

Asarluhi returned, unconcerned about the management of Arhold. It would return in due time to reward those wise or fearful enough of its wrath to do as it instructed, and to track and punish those who fled to the next village. They would take their fear with them, and with their warnings, it would spread like fire, and shine like a beacon to its divine senses. Leading it to further victims, and a larger pool of potential worshipers... once they could be properly cowed into submission. They would beg for mercy in the end.

The failure of the ritual also did not concern Asarluhi; a simple matter of power, one which it would correct in due time. Instead, it turned its attention to the Geth once more. Their hideout was slowly becoming a proper Encampment as life began to return to something resembling normal under the protection of the Life-Giver. With nothing demanding its attention, Asarluhi arrived among the Geth, and dumped the corpses of the Arhold Villagers foolish enough to attack it rather unceremoniously onto the ground.

"Behold those who would do you harm," it said to the Geth, and to itself, "They took arms against me, and in so doing, forfeited their lives. I shall give their lives back to them, on MY terms, and in MY service. They shall be my eyes, to watch over you when I am away. They shall be my claws, to kill any who threaten you. They will die for you as many times as I deem necessary."

Before each corpse, Asarluhi the Life-Giver slashed open a wound on its own forearm; bright red blood oozed freely from the wound before becoming a crimson mist which flowed over each Exsanguinated Villager in turn, seeping into them. Their hearts were made to beat once more, pumping the fresh, new lifeblood through their veins, suffusing their flesh, feeding their bodies and muscle with the Blood of Asarluhi; replacing that which it had taken from them, binding them to its will for as long as they lived... and if Asarluhi had its way, that would be a long time yet, so long as they left a corpse to pour lifesblood into again and again.

Creating Super Warriors! Infusing the corpses of the Exsanguinated Villagers with Divine Blood +2 and weaving an aura of Fear +2 and Dread into them, which they can control. Loyal/Tempered, and needing to drink blood to sustain the Divine Blood now coursing in their veins. The Divine Blood is meant to enhance/increase their physical power in whatever way possible. Blood cannot grant combat experience, though maybe it can impart a natural talent. Asarluhi does not care about making sure they can pass for human if this process warps their flesh, and will expend no effort to do so!

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 3, 2020

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Canapsis - Xatos, Village of Pavun

The living sun considered his next action languidly in the afternoon light. It was unfortunate that his children were so uneasy with settlements of men, but they needed shelter and this was the only temporary shelter around. He would need to resolve their situation before he attended to the humans.

"Children of Ours, hearken to Our words. We see how your hearts doth quaver amidst the hearths of thine oppressors. But quell thy fears and know that thou dost rest assured of Our love and protection. Thou needs only remain within these walls until thou hast had opportunity to rebuild anew. This night We shall stay with thee, choose the houses that thou wish and We shall see that your bellies are fed and your throats watered."

Canapsis ordered the mercenaries to make sure that the villagers were fed but they were to be kept bound until the morning. Until then Canapsis would keep company for the Orphanus and ease their hearts in this strange place for them. As for the matter of the drink, the Orphanus had taken to calling it Canapsis' Mercy. He was amused by this, but far from displeased.

Just keeping the Orphanus company, a sign of visible protection and comfort until the morning to help them relax a little. They will need to take the homes of some of the villagers until they have a chance to build their own homes nearby.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

"Oh dear." Cowl dabbed at his forehead. While he did so, within the carriage he performed a summoning. "I must admit, I may need my advisor here." Cowl called out to the large carriage. He hoped he wouldn't have to summon a troll guardian or a half-giant butler.

Summoning:
Bardok the merchant, devil, aka "the widow maker"

The very human looking figure stepped from the carriage, dressed more like the merchants. The man smiled with perfect teeth. "You called, Lord Cowl?"

Cowl nodded gratefully. "Yes, I need you to help me sort all this out. I know what I need but I think I might need a bit of your support my friend."

Bardok turned to the gathered crowd, hucksters and legitimate merchants alike. The hungry glint in his eyes for the souls of the fakes was there and gone in an instant.
Cowl sort of felt sorry for the criminals, but devils had to eat he thought. "Now." Cowl said to the merchants and con men alike. "Who would like to go first? And one at a time." He finished.

Summoning [+2]: Bardok the devil. Merchant elite of the abyss. He should be able to help Lord Cowl bargain a bit and find what he needs.

• First we will speak with all of the seed and feed merchants. We're looking for wheat, corn, barley, and oats in bulk.
      • Second we will speak with tools merchants for all of the tools we will need for working the fields and building stuff.
      • Third we will look for any weapons, armor, and item shops. What we are looking for here are leather, and then metal based armor and shields, variety of piercing, slashing, and blunt weapons. A variety. (this will be a smaller portion because not all of The Lost are fighters).
  • Finally all of this will be ordered and tallied. The bill presented to Lord Cowl. The delivery day will need to be the same for all items.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

As Colossus watches the construction, his face twists into what looks more and more like a pained expression. "No, no, no," he finally says, his voice filled with a mix of anguish and frustration. "This is wrong, this is wrong. It is all wrong."

The god steps into the middle of the construction site, bringing everything to a halt. He methodically tears down each new building piece by piece with his own two hands. His demolition is forceful, but at the same time clean and deliberate. "This was a mistake," he says, somewhat quietly. "None of this is even close to correct."

When it's all done he goes silent for a moment, thinking. "...This was all too much, too quickly. We need to try a different approach. We need to start again, go slower. We need to start from the beginning." Colossus sits down on the ground, and turns to face the crowd. "This time I will teach you how to do things on your own, with no help from me. It is your own hands and your own minds that must learn. I will not do the lifting for you. Those who are not interested, or those who do not feel up to the task, may leave. Those who stay should pay close attention."

Colossus reaches into the ground and pulls out a hunk of raw soil and stone. Then puts it back down into a pile and starts mixing it together with some water. "We will start simple. Stone is heavy and rigid. Asking you to start with it was a mistake. But clay is soft and malleable enough to be shaped by even your hands. Mix it like so, and you can make into anything."

With a strange amount of dexterity for something his size, the giant starts reshaping the clay with his hands until it starts to look like a pot. It's a very plain-looking pot. It's almost like it's the epitome of plainness. "Like this. But," he says, his voice carrying a light tone of disdain, "to do so would be an incredible waste. Something this may be perfectly functional, but it has no soul."

He starts reshaping the pot again, and quickly it starts to turn into something more aesthetically pleasing. "Your ancestors did not dedicate their time to making ugly things, and neither should you. Even the simplest have shapes, sizes, and proportions that should be thought about. This is a crafter's duty."

"And when you can," the maker-god continues, "add those things which turn objects into art. Colors, images, and decorations. It is art that fuels civilization. Your ancestors would not have reached the heights they did, if the things they built were not beautiful. Without art, you will never follow in their footsteps."

As he speaks, Colossus follows his words with his actions. With each additional touch, what was once a plain pot now starts to look more and more like a beautiful vase. Its proportions are pleasing, its curved handles catch the eye, and sculpted patterns on the side give it a nice look even in its still unfinished state. The god then builds a fire and places the vessel above it, to cook.

"If you wish to learn from me, you must be able to do at least this. This will be your first test. Make a pot like this one, and bring it to me. It should be practical and beautiful. Those who show skill and understanding will be taught further."

Since that previous plan didn't work, I'm going to try a different, slower approach to teaching the minotaurs. The longer-term plan is to focus on teaching a smaller group of more dedicated students, but first I need to decide who those students will be. So now I'm giving the minotaurs a task, and using that as a test to figure out who the most suitable students would be. Basically like an entrance exam. Using Earth [+2] to get a sense of how much they understand the earth (through their clay mixture), and Craftsmanship [+2] to judge their, well, craftsmanship.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Seraphi- Refugee Village of Corinth

Seraphi can feel Dar's anger and sense of betrayal at the elders,as they turn their backs on the only power that might save them. In the recesses of the warriors mind Seraphi could hear him growling that a quick swipe, a single blast into one of them would quickly make the rest fall in line, but at this the spirit quickly rebuked him.

"These Art mine Children, Warrior Priest. Verily, would you strike your child down and kill them when they pout and rebel against you? No, this is no more than a tantrum. A test of our resolve. And we shall answer it."

"CHILDREN," his voice boomed over the din of the nocturnal forest, "AS YOUR BENEVOLENT RULER I SHALL PROVE TO YOU MY POWER. AT MIDNIGHT, WE SHALL HUNT UNTIL WE BRING ENOUGH FOOD BACK TO ELIMINATE EVERYONES HUNGER, AND ENOUGH PELTS TO KEEP WARM THE BRITTLEST OF SOULS. THOUGH AT THE MOMENT YOU STAND DIVIDED, TONIGHT YOU WILL SEE OUR DEDICATION."

Amongst the gathered people, Seraphi chooses the nine strongest hunters to join him, and though they would not be fully poseesed, he would try to enhance them, that they may be a team that would etch the first stanza of the young gods epic. That of the Hunt of Birthing. For not only would they raid the forest, but the forest roadways as well.

Use moonlight +2 to enhance the eyesight and spatial awareness of the nine hunters, as well as shadow +2 to form protective armors and deadly weapons for them to wield as they enter the forest to hunt and gather supplies.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

The memories of Zavraz

I did not take any pleasure in hurting my fellow Vleeg. It hurt in two ways. It hurt me to see them recall all those painful memories and atrocities, but by Saztax gift, all the suffering they had been made to endure were revealed to me as well. I found my hatred for these humans to have grown yet deeper, more intense. The thought of their villages were they lived peaceful and unhindered lives was like a sharp, visceral pain in my stomach.

As the pupae opened, and the next generation of Vleeg was born, I could tell that the parents would guide them. Make them understand what was taken from us. Make them understand what we would inflict on those who hurt us.

We headed south, ever further south. That is where our first great acts of vengeance would be done. The thought of it invigorated our wings, even as we continued a grueling march.

Going to try to to energize the Vleeg for their Great Flight South with [+2] Vengeance to inspire them.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

The Wolf-mother's spirit was high and bright; her children were rebuilding, her students learning well and and with speed. Flush now with fresh magic and ample supplies, the Maju-Inu were in an excellent position to grow.

But in order to do so, they were going to need more than just knowledge and resources – they were going to need time, and safety, in order to work.

So be it. One task ends, and another begins. She knew all too well that her task was going to be both arduous and endless, and that had not stopped her from coming to her children's aid anyway.

She lead her students home once more, through the wild woods that separated her and her students from the rest of the pack, and left them with instructions to follow in her absence.

"I am proud of you; all of you have made great strides in mastering the old magic, and it pleases me to see how far you have come already. But we must part now, for short time – there is work that must be done to keep you safe while you train your power and fortify your dens. Practice what I have taught you, and be not afraid to reach beyond what you have already learned – you must grow, and I cannot teach you everything. Some lessons must be learned on your own. Watch over my little ones, and listen well when they advise you, for their eyes and ears are open to places beyond. Build your houses, build high and strong your walls; tend well your fields and your blades. I will return soon enough."

She left them then, and deep into the woods she went. Her claws scratched and cut the earth as she walks, marking tree and stone in her journey. It was a hard magic, and slow besides; there was much forest to cover, and she had to move carefully; it would not do for her trap to be discovered and undone by some lucky farmer or hedge wizard. But her journey ended eventually, and in the heart of the old forest that she had claimed for her people, she reared back her head and howled to the moon above, full and shining silver-bright overhead. That pale light seems to flash through the trees, just for a moment as she pressed the last part of the spell into place. Grandmother Moon was blessed with an unfixed shape, and twisting light that befouled the senses – and soon her woods too would know such wonders.

Leaving the Witch-dogs to their own devices for a moment; while they take care of the task of turning their old village into something a bit more livable, Lupa will be taking steps to protect her territory – and her children – from outside interference, and she will do soon by essentially laying a curse on the forest surrounding the Maju-Inu territory, using Witchcraft +2 to...well, bewitch the forest. The Maze of Grandmother Moonwill turn the forest into an unnavigable labyrinth of twisted vegetation, dead ends, and distracting fairy lights that make any intruder hopelessly lost – unless, of course, they happen to be one of her Witch-dogs, or have sufficient magic to protect themselves. Of course, this sort of widespread magic should always have a good catch, and as it is so thematically tied to wolves and moonlight, the curse has a weakness in that it does not hinder travel during the three nights of the new moon, when Grandmother Moon's eye is closed.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

The Grand Treefather slumbered. This activity was not what he was used to. A tree had time to grow, to just be a tree. His people should have that luxury themselves, as they lived nearly as long as the trees they had been made from. But there needed to be more. More of his people. Long life lent long sight, but a low birthrate. They must spread.

Using Flora +4 to saturate my territory with potent magic made to increase birth, and growth rate, of the Aldryami within the walls. This will not go past the walls, even when my territory spreads.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

With a raised hand, you direct blood from your own veins into the half-dozen desiccated corpses that lay before you, the Geth looking on interestedly. A crimson mist fell upon the corpses, sinking into them, changing them. First they are still, there there is a pulse, a spasm, as more of your divine blood floods into them. Veins bulge crimson, muscles swell to inhuman proportions. Soon, the creatures stand, the change complete. They bear only a passing resemblance to humans, your divine blood grants them superior strength and stamina. Seeing as they are not truly alive, they will no longer need to sleep or even breath. They stand silent, ready to obey any command you might give without hesitation. Interesting, you do not sense the same sustaining worship from them you do the Vleeg.

Canapsis - Village of Pavun, Northern Xatos

The Orphanus are hesitant at first, but your prompting and the servile assistance of the mercenaries seems to set them at ease. The mercenaries split their efforts between securing food for the Orphanus and keeping the human villagers imprisoned in the barn. Things generally proceed well, and for the first time since the attacks, the Orphanus have not only warm food in their bellies, but soft beds to sleep on. One of the villagers, a strapping young lad with more courage than sense, makes a run for it during the night, when the mercenaries are focused on preparing the evening meal for the Orphanus. He is quickly caught and earns a severe beating for his trouble, as the mercenaries make an example of the consequences of disobeying God’s commands. He will need a few weeks to recover fully, but his life is in no danger.

The next morning comes, the Orphanus arise from their beds rested and refreshed. The humans seem tired and bedraggled, clearly they did not sleep well bound in the barn. The mercenaries bring them before you, bowing low before you. You can feel the villagers fear as they gaze upon you. The Orphanus watch on, interested to see what you will do.

Bardok sets to the task you command of him. With his silver tongue and cunning heart he cuts through the merchants like a hot knife through butter, and soon you have a list of the various products you desire as well as their cost. There are a wide variety of seeds and farming tools, and some weapons. Armor is a more delicate subject. Armor fitted for humans would not fit well on one of the Lost, depriving it of most of its effect. You could no doubt custom order appropriate armor, but that would be significantly more expensive. Moreover, it would also raise serious questions about why you wanted such strange armor, questions you likely would not wish to answer.

All-in-all Bardok manages to negotiate you quite the bargain. Still, a bargain is much like all things, relative. You are still seeking the materials and equipment to support an entire large settlement, even at the rock bottom prices Bardok manages to drag forth from the merchants it will still cost a small fortune. There is also the matter of delivery. Your purchases would take a full caravan to deliver, and Bardok advises that leading a Oeanan caravan to the Lost’s settlement would likely require that the caravanners be taken care of in some manner, lest they report back just whom they were delivering too, drawing hostile attention to the Lost and blowing your cover at the same time.

Virtually all the minotaurs present remain to attempt to follow in your teachings. They watch closely, trying to copy your movements, absorb any knowledge you can give them. They are certainly eager students, but an eager student is not necessarily a talented student. It would appear that these minotaurs before you were very different from the ancient people who had built you, the passage of centuries under such cruel conditions had robbed them of much of their spark. Judging by their progress, with unsustainably intensive instruction, most would be able to produce a basic workmanlike result. Only about half a dozen have any real talent, adding a bit of flare to the designs, but it is still amateurish. Your people are frustrated, but they still try their best to live up to your standards.

Seraphi- Refugee Village of Corinth

You gather your hunters and bestow upon them your blessings. The weapons and armor are impressive though transitory. Your enhancements of Dar linger less because your continued presence within him than the fact that his skin shields the alterations you have made to his muscles and organs keeping them effectively in total darkness day and night. The same will not be true of the weapons and armor, which while effective for this night, will wither away if exposed to too much light.

Still, for the moment at least, the hunters are impressed, and find the weapons shifting to fit their hands, and armor quickly altering to fit like a glove once they put it on. Your party leaves at midnight into the dangers of the jungle. The weapons and armor perform as well as you can hope, however the limiting factor in this instance is not the equipment, but the user. For no matter how impressive the blade, its users were still unenhanced Jaskiir, with merely mortal strength and reflexes. They are not really much of a match for the jungle’s creatures, which are faster and stronger, with better senses and many other natural advantages. When they manage to land a hit, the shadowy blades cut through like a razor, but with their current level of skill and physical ability, the hunters are rarely able to land hits. They barely sustained themselves against the jungle’s weaker creatures. Against apex predators they were severely outmatched. Still, thanks to your armor, there are no casualties, beyond the hunter’s pride.

Unlike his fellows, Dar bears far greater blessings, so without armor or weapons beyond his claws he fells beasts the rest of the hunters can only only swing uselessly at. Thanks to your enhancements he stands on a different level than his kin. His strength, speed, endurance, reflexes, are at or above the levels of the jungle’s fiercest beasts. When you return to the village as the morning begins to dawn, the hunters carry much, but only because Dar has felled far more than he could carry himself. The hunters have a new respect for just how deadly the jungle beasts really are, and much to Dar’s satisfaction, they hold him in veritable awe. However, it is not the resounding success you had hoped for. Certainly, the hunters had survived the night, and Dar had again proved the immense power you might offer, but there is a difference between mere survival and domination.

The swarm takes flight at your direction, screaming for the blood of non-Vleeg. They fly like people possessed, the need for vengeance burning within them. They make excellent time, releasing the gathering plague every time they stop for the night and feasting anew, leaving each location stripped of life. It took several more weeks, but finally the desert sands and heat started to fade, giving way to more verdant land. Here there will be humans for the Vleeg to slaughter, to slake the thirst for blood you have instilled in them.

Your children remain behind as you set out to weave a grand magick across their home. The forest extended far beyond your people’s territory, running all the way to the coast, and inland a roughly equal distance, encompassing who knows how many Beladian villages. Your people were located in some of its deepest reaches, and only those reaches would be under your protection, to affect the entire forest was simply beyond your power for the moment. Still, you move methodically through the territory your people had claimed as their own, laying down your marks, filling them with your divine power, preparing the land for your work. When you arrive at the ritual site, you can feel the air thick with magical energy. You cast your grand hex, enshrouding that portion of the forest with your influence. Those without sufficient magic or your blessing would find the forest extremely difficult to navigate. However, this would only offer protection while there was still forest to distract and misdirect. If the forest is destroyed, the labyrinth would burn with it.

You spread your divine influence within the walls of Aldryami territory, a verdant energy seeps into the land, the Aldryami will find that in coming years, their birth rate and growth rate will increase substantially. Of course, whether their society will be prepared for these changes in population and life-cycle is a question they do not yet have an answer to.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Asarluhi surveyed its handiwork, pleased with the results. The monstrous creatures were no longer human, exactly, but they were ideally suited to their task. That they had no worship to give was of little concern to the Blood God; it would have been an unexpected benefit, but it had not been part of the plan. Unquestioning, inhuman monsters would serve just fine. That they did not seem to truly live any longer was also instructive. Asarluhi addressed the Blood Revenants, for that is what they were. "You will protect and obey the Geth, as you would me," it said as it gestured to indicate the gathered Geth.

It turned to address the Geth, "These Blood Revenants are yours to command. They will protect you and carry out your orders. Keep them close while I am gone. Your own survival is paramount. I will return soon and teach you further Blood Magic."

With the Geth Encampment furnished with both presumably terrifying and terrifyingly effective defenders, Asarluhi disappeared back into swamp. It glided through forest and over bog, racing along trails and roads like blood through veins. It was time to find the beating heart of this region. One of them, at least.

We're naming these creatures Blood Revenants! Ordering the Blood Revenants to protect and obey the Geth. From here I am travelling to the County Seat, using Blood +2 to hunt down a suitable human Vessel along the way to use as a disguise by draining their blood and becoming blood to possess it, and generally speed my way. I am only diverting or slowing down if there is a detectable threat heading toward the Geth (this includes meeting soldiers on the road heading toward Arhold).

Granted, I wasn't given very specific instructions, just a direction and a distance. If I end up somewhere not-quite the County Seat but still A Big Town/City, that's fine. I'll follow the roads where I can, homing in on whatever the largest concentration of blood I can sense is. I'm looking for a big population center that isn't just a farming commune.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Lupa was quite pleased with this latest effort – it didn't reach quite as far as she had hoped, but that was of little consequence. It was enough to give her children the extra protection they needed in these first crucial moments of rebuilding, and that would be enough.

Her return trip was idle, a day and night passing in turn, to rest from her grand efforts. It was time well spent, enjoying the bewitched forest; and even more importantly time to consider her next move. Once her children truly began retaking their homeland, they would not be able to avoid the notice of their neighbors – both for good and for ill.

It was time she turned her attentions inward once more, and pushed her children to grow and excel.

She entered the village under the cover of night, and kept silent vigil over the many little campfires dotting the town as she pondered, deep into the night and into the bright burst of dawn. In the soft light of the morning sun,she rose, and she walked among her people.

She greeted her cubs, one by one, with soft words and the gentle press of muzzled to forehead. Quietly, she would lead them around the village, leaving each one with different groups of villagers – what rhyme or reason she had for each assignment was a mystery, save that their temperaments always seem to match up with their new family like they had been made for it. And perhaps, in a way, they had.

She stopped again to see her hunters, and the farmers; the woodsmen, the weavers, the healers– if there were a group of craftsmen in the village that she did not visit, one would be hard-pressed to name them. She spoke to them all, and listened to their wisdom, and advise them all as best she could. And when she could not, she would know who could, for she remembered the wisdom of her children spoke to her.

To the brave warriors defended their village and the elders who commanded it, she came last; she spoke to them in the same way, and learned of their wisdom just as she shared her own.

She could not lead them the way their elders did. They were yet mortal, and they understood her children from a perspective she could not grasp. But she did not need to lead them the way their elders did; she was their mother, and their goddess, and she would inspire them to grasp for greatness.

Taking a bit of a break from big miracles for a moment; it's long past time that the Maju-Inu started expanding their holdings. Now that they have a surplus of both people and supplies, as well as some apprentice witches to help things along, Lupa will be assisting them in building up the sorry old village into a place they can live with – relative – comfort, and that they can reinforce into a defensible city when trouble inevitably finds them. Using Motherhood +2 to assist, both to help with tasks that may be too difficult for them to handle on their own, and to help by provide advice and direction when/if they require it. Also, integrating her transformed Oracle children more fully into the tribe by matching them up with compatible family groups; don't know if that's a rolled action, but that feels like something that should be casually within the purview of a parenthood deity.

Edit: Some small grammatical fixes.

Punting fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 16, 2020

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Colossus looks upon the minotaurs' handiwork with clear and utter disappointment. "How can this be... To think that the children of the great architects of old could be reduced to this."

The god ponders for a moment, clearly taken aback by the scale of the failure in front of him. "This cannot be, this cannot stand. This pitiful state cannot be allowed to continue. It is now that I understand why I was brought here to help you. What you need is something more than just food, shelter, or instruction. We will need to try something else."

Colossus turns his gaze, and casts his gaze upon one of the nearby mountains. "We will borrow the power of the earth itself. We shall take that which is all around us, and channel it into a miracle so powerful it will undo the ravages of a thousand years in a mere instant." He turns back to look at the minotaurs before him. "All around you in these mountains, the power of the earth can be found most potently in buried minerals and crystals. What you must do is go forth, dig them up, and bring them back here to me. Though you failed in the power of your craft, you may now redeem yourselves in the power of your labor. Succeed now, and all your past failures will become immaterial."

The giant then grabs one of his hands with the other, and then starts breaking pieces off in the form of stones and pebbles. "Take these with you, and you shall be shown the way."

Okay, taking a different approach since the scale of the minotaur's failure is so bad. I'm going to send the minotaurs out into the mountains and gather crystals, so that I can use the power of the earth in them to boost a ritual/miracle that will help them. Doing this basically because I really, really want to make sure that it actually works this time. Using the power of Earth [+2] to help them find as many crystals/fancy minerals as possible.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Seraphi- In the refugee Village of Corinth

Seraphi paced the village outskirts, Car’s frustration beginning to bleed across into his own thoughts. This simply wouldn’t do, not when there were hoards of humans that needed to be wiped away so his people could thrive. Seraphi headed back to the center of the village and announced to his hunters that he would teach them the waves of war, and that the 10 best would be rewarded as his vanguard.

Months pass as he trains and tests his people, slowly reworking their frail forms each night with speeches and sparring; using muscle memory and psychological training in an attempt to shift them away from frightened mewling kits into resilient Feline hunter-warriors, Seraphi slowly built his forces.

While this is all being attempted, Seraphi’s nightly hunts refill the village larder, and his shadows act as a deterrent for any ambush that may occur, giving the elderly solid proof of protection and goodwill in an attempt to lessen their staunch conservatism and fear.

Using moonlight +2 to assist in the psychological reconditioning, similar to an intense boot camp dynamic, and shadows +2 to help them learn fighting techniques. All training will be held in the dark, in order to increase effectiveness.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

You glide menacingly through the paths of trails carved into the swamps searching for a victim. After a day and a half, you find one. A lonely merchant in the area to peddle his goods to various villages. You invade his body, forcing your way into his arteries and veins, he screams and collapses, but as you consume and replace his blood you sustain him. When it is finished, you circulate through him, but for the moment you are just the blood flowing through his veins, and the human body isn’t designed to deal with being moved by force applied by blood alone. You aren’t so much using the body's natural functions as opposing them. Rather than nerves carrying commands to his muscles, your physical presence in his bloodstream applies force from within. You can force his limbs to move, but the movements are jerky and inconsistent, unlikely to stand up to even passing scrutiny.

You visit the various members of the tribe, weaving your magic. A word here, a gesture there, you stoke the hope in their breasts, encourage them to reach for more. With their new magicks, and the supplies from the raid, the Maju-Inu begin to forge their settlement into a true village. In the weeks to come simple huts and open fires would give way to sturdier wooden buildings. A truer and more permanent settlement. Born from both from your encouragement and the feelings of safety the changes to the forest brings them. There is even some debate as to whether more traditional defenses are even worth constructing, or whether it is better to rely solely on the forest’s magics and focus the efforts that would be spent on walls and gates elsewhere.

As to your second effort, the results were… less than perfect. Though you found what would be perfect fits for them, the transformed children stood apart. Not so much because of their origins, or at least not directly. However, when you changed them, you had marked them truly and deeply with your colors. As far as they were concerned you were the only parent they would ever have, and so they would always stand somewhat apart from the rest of the tribe. In time, they would no doubt take their place as your priests, the goddess’s true children serving as a bridge between you and the tribe.

The minotaurs wither under your disappointment and resolve to devote themselves more thoroughly to carrying out your will. With the stone talismans taken from your own body, they head deeper into the mountain to try and gather the resources you desire. The talismans serve their purpose in guiding the minotaurs to various crystals, gems, and other rare materials. For all that the minotaurs proved incompitent craftsmen, they are excellent laborers, working grueling hours to gather all that you desire. A few days later you have a nice stockpile, and the tired minotaurs look upon you for approval.

Seraphi- In the refugee Village of Corinth

You begin your plan to shape the Seraphi into warriors, to undo the ravages of time. Your plan seems simple enough, you would provide for their needs so they could spend their time training. True enough, you are able to bring back enough meat to feed the entire village, leaving them fully able to focus on the regimen of training you prepared for them. In the early evening it began with exercises, a wide variety meant to help rebuild the body. Then as darkness fell, you shifted to sparring, setting them against one another and yourself. You batter them, teaching them the hard way to maintain their guard, to keep their senses focused and aware of their surroundings. Lastly, when all are exhausted and the night is darkest, you gather the villagers and extinguish all other lights, until the glowing hypnotic pattern of Dar’s eyes are their only source of light. They quickly fall into a deep trance and you get to work attempting to shape them mentally just as your training attempts to shape them physically.

Dar for his part is an eager contributor. Eager to show off his power, he takes great pride in his many sparing victories. With his enhancements, no other Jaskiir can even land a blow on him. Then, during their entranced indoctrination, while you attempt to instill a warrior mind-set, he takes the opportunity to reinforce his own primacy. You had promised him he would be their king, and he is eager to take you up on them. With each night he gets his hooks deeper and deeper into the minds of the Jaskiir, taking advantage of the respect won through the hunts and transforming it into a fanatical devotion. Soon, the others speak of him with hushed reverence and reflexively prostrate themselves upon entering his presence, much to his delight. Dar, understanding that his power depends on your continued approval, also takes the opportunity to reinforce the faith of the people in you, hypnotically convincing them to surrender their doubts and embrace blind faith. As the nights pass you can feel their worship solidify and strengthen, a pleasant sensation.

After a few weeks of work, you can definitely see dividends to your approach. The physical training and ample supply of food have started to put meat back onto the bones of the Jaskiir. They definitely seem stronger and healthier. Your other training has resulted in a more war-aspected mindset. They will be better able to keep their cool under stress, and able to kill without hesitation or remorse. Dar’s efforts have ensured his rule over the village is now absolute, his word is law and the people happily carry out his every whim. Only the elders remain in opposition, but they are now completely isolated, as none of the villagers will listen to them.. In fact, it is only by Dar’s decree that they have not been attacked by villagers who now bristle at even the most trivial disrespect of their beloved king, much less the elder’s increasingly angry ranting. By the same turn, thanks to Dar’s efforts, other than the elders, the villagers uniformly worship you with all their hearts and souls.

However, for all that you have gained, you can see it will not be enough. The Jaskiir might be better fighters than they were before, but training and skill cannot make up for the fact that the jungle’s predators are so much faster and stronger than a Jaskiir. Even the strongest among the villagers, those who have shown the greatest talent are simply not in the same class as their opponents. Against a human, they would fare much better, but their enemies at this moment are not humans, but rather beasts that could rend an armored knight limb from limb at lightning speed. If the Jaskiir are to compete with the jungle’s inhabitants they needed to become stronger and faster than they could ever hope to obtain through merely mortal means.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Asarluhi - The Road, Deep Swamps, Eastern Belad

Asarluhi is slightly annoyed by this... somewhat unexpected hitch in its plan. It would seem it is more passenger than driver in this horseless carriage, and will need to tell the man where he would need to go. Good Sense or rational self-preservation will, hopefully, smooth this along... though these humans tended to be stubborn, stupid things...

Asarluhi hummed irritably for a moment. It had hoped to bypass this entirely but in its haste… well. Might as well make the best of things. “Trader-Merchant-Peddler, I give to you your life in the hope that it may be of some use to me.”

The man startles, as part of you flows out of the wound to form a head and speak to him. “Oh gods, what’s happening?” he whimpers.

Asarluhi grumbled in consternation. This was not going the way it had envisioned. Nevertheless… “You made the mistake of trespassing in my domain, thus forfeiting your life. I have already taken it from you. You are sustained at my convenience. Give me what I want, and perhaps I will give you life once more. You will not get a better deal, I promise you.”

The man is paralyzed with fear. A long moment passes before he manages to collect himself enough to ask, “W...w...what do you want?”

Asarluhi savors that fear, drinking it in. Nourishing and delicious. “I need servants. Devotees. Tools. Blood. I will find them in this ‘county seat’. There are many of your kind there, yes? You will take me there.”

“Do… do I have a choice?”

“The alternative is death. I am the Life-Giver and the Life-Drinker. That is your choice.” Asarluhi pauses, as if to consider. Then it adds, “Service will be rewarded.”

The man hangs his head… defeated. “What do you want me to do?”

“How long will it take us to reach the county seat? I assume it has a name.”

“P...p..pralan is about six days away from here if we follow the trails.”

“Very good. It will be faster with my help. Three or four at most.” Asarluhi ponders a moment. “Tell me, Merchant. What will we find in Pralan?”

“Its a normal town…” he responds panically, unsure as to what you’re asking.

“We will see. You will take us there. We will enter the city. And once we have found a suitable place from which I can work, you will be released. With appropriate reward.” Asarluhi murmurs to itself before speaking again, “Now, let us go. With all possible speed. Fear nothing on the road save for me.”

After a chat with my good friend Hugh Mann, we will (hopefully) be going with all possible speed to the County Seat (or equivalent), using Blood +2 to physically sustain, nourish, and boost this poor, poor bastard's body in order to get to Pralan in good time. Making specific effort not to destroy this poor fucker's body like we did with the Blood Revenants. He needs to pass for human!

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 23, 2020

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

BP: [1]

"No worries my devilish friend. for I have...a plan." Cowl twirled an imaginary mustache. He proceeded to explain in detail what he needed Bardok to have the merchants do.

First the merchants would deliver the goods to a rather large tent (to be summoned). The sides would all be rolled up to provide access to drop and see the goods. Then another, second tent would be erected. Enough to sit & fit the few dozen or so merchants to await payment. All goods to be delivered at the same time and date and timed that way specifically as Lord Cowl was of course a recluse and like getting a meal in a restaurant, all components of the dish must be served at the same time.

His servant left with his instructions, Cowl needed to work on something. 'Only a few steps at a time'. he told himself.He began creating a bag of holding not to defraud the merchants. Oh no. Cowl did state he would pay them and that was The Truth So he had to make a best effort to do just that. But he would worry about that once he had the transport taken care of.

Using: Summoning [+2]: Tents and chairs and things for the aforementioned goods stacking and merchant payment hangout tents.
Using: Space [+2] and 1BP to make essentially an extra-dimensional cool Bag of Holding to put everything in Cowl's purse so to speak.
We will do the next thing after, because we won;'t be buying poo poo if we can't haul it.

BP= 0 after spending 1 BP

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

For a time, the Treefather slumbers. Around him, the world moves on.

No action this round.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

"This is good," Colossus says, remarking favorably on the pile of gems before him. "With this, we can start."

He takes the gems and starts placing them on the ground in neat, meticulous lines. The process is slow and deliberate, as if the position each gem was critically important. One could compare it to a painter carefully considering each and every drop of paint. But while it is slow, progress itself is steady. The giant stone artisan does not seem to make mistakes, or make revisions. Eventually the gem-lines start to form an large pattern, full of intricately laid out geometric shapes. It's strange to look at.The designs are not grounded in any existing artistic style, but instead directly seem to speak directly in languages of abstract images and geometry that only Colossus himself would know. The intricate, fractal-like patterns seem to evoke the power of craftsmanship and art itself, and the rigidity of its geometric shapes seem to speak to the earth itself.

When it is finished, the minotaurs are gathered once more.

"This will be our largest project yet. Today I will use the full extent of my power to give you the help you need, and heal the wounds of a thousand years. Written in these shapes is the power of craft and earth itself, and I shall call upon that to speak and act with a power greater than that of time itself. Let today be the start of a new beginning, and let tomorrow shine a light brighter than you have ever imagined."

Colossus then starts walking along the patterns, speaking strange words that resonate with godly power. "LAM SHOLI AZTONG. NOMAL BEKOM ASTRITH. USUR TOGAL ASKUTH." And as he does, the gems and crystals start to glow and resonate with power.....

Performing a ritual to change all minotaurs permanently. I will use my power of Earth [+2] to draw power from these earthen crystals and boost my own magic, so that I can imbue the minotaurs with the power of Craftsmanship [+2] and art. Since this whole thing is powered by earthen crystal magic, I imagine there's a good chance this may also have some side-effect of making the minotaurs more earth-aligned or earth-like in some way. It could just be something like minotaurs being good masons and blacksmiths specifically, or maybe there could be some weird side effect...

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

SERAPHI- Village of Corinth New Throne room

From his vantage point on Dar's throne in the center square, Seraphi looked on, troubled, even as his people become better, faster, stronger. Not only was it true that the village was in need of expansion and goods that could not be provided within the confines of the clearing, but their prey seemingly had no end. Suddenly as he watched the guards haul up the gates and hike up shields to cover the walls, an idea popped into existence.

"If they can not do this alone, I must provide protection myself. I shall manifest in our greatest warriors, my priest, and together we shall create a hunting party to gathered the required magics to purge these creatures from our lands. We will need the essence of the leader of each monstrous being; the Kraken that swimeth, The serpent which lashes, the plants that strangle, and the beast which stalks the caves. Once we have gathered these, I can prepare a ritual that will repel and end the blight upon this cursed forest that we may make our triumphant return to our homes of ages past."

Seraphi knew thatthe only way to defeat these monsters was to drive them away, and this was the only way he knew how.

So Seraphi and Dar gathered their vanguard of 4 of the best hunters in the village at midnight by the gate and spoke gravely as they kneeled before them.

"Though you have faught hard, children, dedication alone will not be enough. I will have to create a permanent, intensive version of your weaponry and skills for each of you. Alas, I cannot move within each of you as we are now, and I require new conviction. To do so, I require you all to take an oath, a vow of loyalty and become my hands. I shall grant your truest desires, and in return you shall serve me even unto the dark of the ever after. Will you, then, take me as your savior, and allow me to bring salvation to our people?"

if possible, Using Moonlight +2 and shadows +2, present each of the four, (Daniel, Deb, Liza, and Farin) with the choice to become vessels for Seraphi. [Seraphi can control enhance them beyond their normal limits, similarly to Dar, but not as finely tuned (think a good step below Dar) but only as long as they are within very close proximity. this range will decrease as daylight brightens, to an area of about a small house at smallest to several hundred feet at darkest, allowing for limited telepathy between hosts. Otherwise the shadows within them slumber weakening them back to a normal state until they're back in range.] Then, using Shadows +2, prepare new gear for them and get ready to head out to hunt down the 4 beasts.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Weeks pass by, and stone by stone, plank by plank, the village grows. It's not quite the unconquered fortress that she sometimes sees in her wilder musings, but good and strong nonetheless. She should be quite content with what her children have accomplished.

And she is, but she is also beset by a growing sense of frustration – she had done much to ensure her children's safety, but she was not just a guardian. She was an avenger, a wrathful mother's come to punish her children's enemies, and while protecting them was important, going so long without hunting down the betrayers is beginning to unsettle the wild and blood-hungry half of her spirit.

This would have to be corrected, and soon.

And yet. And yet.

How to go about it? Their numbers have improved, but despite her confidence in her hunters, they cannot wage war against an entire nation alone. Even she cannot wage war against an entire nation alone; her curse on the forest falling short had brought the limits of her power into sharp clarity in a way she had not expected, even if she was grateful for understanding. Raids could shore up their numbers and their supplies, of course, but they had barely settled the last group – taking out more villages would strain them, and while one ransacked village might escape notice for a time, too many attacks would rouse their enemies to respond. They needed something more, they needed…

…they needed allies. They needed packs to run at their side.

She contemplated this idea for a time. It was new and strange; it was in the nature of a wolf to come together with others of its kind, but to reach out? Wisdom, or weakness? Three days and three nights passed, Grandmother Moon's crescent eye growing wide as Lupa wrestled with this thought. When she had finally come to a decision, she gathered the tribal elders and proclaimed her thoughts to them, away from prying eyes.

"I must ask your forgiveness, my children. I have been distant for time, as I wrestled with my thoughts. I told you that I have come to you to see your lands restored the betrayers cast out, and I have pondered how best to accomplish these goals. We are yet a small people, limited in number and strength, and if we truly wish to see the Maju-Inu free once more, we will need allies to retake our home. But my wisdom is not as wide as it could be; I know little of the other races that share this land. So I come to you, my eldest and wisest children, not to teach but to learn. Tell me what you know of your neighbors; tell me who may be willing to take up the fight against the betrayers that infest our land. And when you have shared your wisdom with me, I will contemplate how best to seek them out".

No domains apply to this action (neither is really applicable; she can't exactly inspire them or bewitch them to reveal information that they don't have, after all), trying to learn more about the area from the tribe's leaders – I don't expect that they know a huge amount about their various neighbors, but hoping to lay some groundwork for the possibility of coordinated efforts in the future. Hard to reach out if you don't even know who to reach out to.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Asarluhi - The Road, Deep Swamps, Eastern Belad

You retreat back into the merchant’s body, the wound closing up behind you. He does as he is told, starting to make his way towards Pralan. With your aid he makes good time, he’ll arrive a whole 48 hours faster than if he had moved unassisted. Day by day the swamps recede into a more verdant hilly environment. The few encounters you have on the road bring to your attention a potential problem. Your vessel is pliable, but he is also absolutely terrified, leaving him skittish and causing him to stand out all the more for trying (and failing) to act normal. On the road, the few travelers he runs into just write him off as strange. However, as you reach the outskirts of Pralor you can feel the tension in the air. From one of the nearby hills you can see the town is abuzz with activity. You can taste the scent of fear, it would appear word of the attack on Arhold has reached this place. Guards patrol the edges of town, and travelers are being stopped. There’s no telling what your host will do if placed under pressure, much less suspicion.

Making the arrangements for tents and the like was child’s play for you. Your more ambitious project was the storage solution. With your divine power, you disjoint the space inside and outside the bag, causing the inside of the bag to become substantially larger than its exterior appearance would indicate. It wasn’t unlimited, but you could fit several warehouses worth of goods inside relatively free from outside movement or interference. Though clever work, you also manage to make the “bag” relatively weightless despite how much would be inside of it. Of course, when storing or retrieving items a person would still need to go into the bag to store, retrieve, or organize them. For you, you would likely just teleport whatever you desired into or out of the bag rather than bother with the tedium of wandering inside of it looking for whatever particular items you needed.

Your energy pours into the ritual markings on the ground and then pours outwards, gathering like water beneath the feet of each minotaur present. Then in an instant, the shocked minotaurs are each encased in a cocoon of stone. Within their stone eggs, your essence pervades every nook and cranny of their beings, molding them body, mind, and soul. You are not restoring them to what they were, not really, for in truth you never knew their ancestors. You can however, change them into what you wish them to be, or at least attempt to do so.

Days pass as the minotaurs slumber in stone, you remain unmoving as well, focused on your task. The settlement is as though it is deserted, the only changes being a gently pulsing light from the cocoons. Then it is finished, one after another the cocoons begin to crack, and the minotaurs step from inside, changed at a fundamental level.

You rolled really high here, so I’m giving you license to take this opportunity to make some changes to the minotaurs, physically, mentally, spiritually. Keep in mind that they’ve essentially been basting in your aether for a few days and they should be different for it. If you have any questions on what you can and can’t do hit me up on discord.

Seraphi - Village of Corinth New Throne room

Dar’s influence is keenly felt as the four most promising trainees kneel before you. They do not hesitate for even a fraction of an instant before they take you up on your offer. To be chosen to be blessed by God, the one they worship with all their hearts is an honor. That such an honor might also serve to make them more useful servants to their great and wondrous king Dar, to whom they have sworn their absolute allegiance, what more could they desire? They swore whatever oaths you require of them with fanatic zeal.

You set to work altering their bodies. Like Dar before them, you supplant their muscles with replacements forged from living shadow and replace their organs to better support them. Each of them puts on mass, though not nearly as much as Dar for you do not string their new muscles as densely or as tightly as you had for him. While in your presence, your divine aura will allow their shadow muscles and organs to perform at peak efficiency, beyond mere mortal limits. Far from your aid, they are stronger than their fellows, but pale in comparison to Dar.

Making new or better equipment is a separate action.

The elders unfortunately don’t have much to share. The Maju-Inu had been in-hiding deep in the forest for generations, and knew little about what went on outside. Once there had been other groups of Maju-Inu, but it had been years at best since they’ve had any contact with them. Likely they had all been enslaved or destroyed. They knew the local humans called this land Bellad, and apparently a few years ago there had been some sort of major event that ended with the humans becoming more aggressive. Tales passed down from ancient times occasionally referred to another group who were somewhat similar to the Maju-Inu in appearance, but that was about it.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Asarluhi - The Road, Outskirts of Pralan

Asarluhi whispers in the Merchant's ear, "Calm. Peace. There is nothing to fear from these guards. None here can harm you. They are puny creatures. Can you feel it? The power coursing through you. Seeping into your flesh. Calm. Peace. Go. Find us a nice, quiet place inside from which we can work..."

As Asarluhi drank away the Merchant's fear, the power of Blood was poured into its place. The steady heartbeat of devotion. As enjoyable as this creature's fear was, he would be far more useful as an obedient tool. Ah well. There were always others.

Will use Blood +2 and Fear +2 to begin Tempering this guy, siphoning away his fear and infusing him with the divine influence of blood in its place. A gradual process to ensure nothing horrible happens to give things away.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 2, 2020

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

"My lord?"

The Treefather slowly woke to find a young sproutling kneeling before him.

"Yes, my child?"

"You've made us able to defend ourselves and hopefully prosper. But... what happens when the others come? We are few, my lord, and though we have your might, we don't have your power."

"When those young druids grow, they will have some measure of my power."

"But what if the humans come tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow is tomorrow, and later is later. It's all the future. Even I cannot predict the future."

"But they will come, eventually. And they will kill us. I'm only a fifty, still a child, I have so much more to live for."

The ancient tree pondered this. It was true, maybe he had not prepared his people as well as he had hoped. He had already granted them fertility and skill and magic. He could shape their bodies... but he would not do so without their consent.

"Go, young one, and bring the entire tribe to me."

The sproutling dashed off to grab the others as the Treefather settled into a brief nap. When they had gathered, and waited patiently for long enough, the eldest tapped on the Treefather to wake him up.

"Hrm? Ah, yes. Good, good. You are all here. I have given you much to help you fight back against those who would destroy you, but have I done enough? I have an idea, but I will do nothing without your consent. I would use my powerful to make the bodies of the tribe more like those of the forest we inhabit. Thick, tough, tall, strong. I would make you as mighty as a redwood, or as limber as an aspen. It would be up to you, but I will do all I can."

Using Flora +4 to rebuild the bodies of the Aldryami into mighty weretrees! They can change between forms at will. Normally they look like they do, but they can transform into a massive Ent-like being at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Channeling the gathered energy into the stone cocoons, Colossus devotes his will and soul into transforming the beings, his children, slumbering within. The power is not minuscule, and the effects are not subtle.

Physically, their bodies become like the earth itself -- their flesh turns into living soil, and their bones turn into living stone. They are still recognizable minotaurs, but minotaurs of earth and soil rather than minotaurs of flesh and blood. A wholly new form of biology.

Spiritually, the transformation gives their souls a kinship with the earth itself . One could call them cousins, nephews, or perhaps even perhaps parent and child. It is a young bond, not yet fully grown, but one that may have a potential in the future.

And mentally, Colossus channels all his knowledge, expertise, and sensibilities into the minotaurs' open minds. He imparts upon them not just his know-how of art and craft, and also that sensibilities and views that go into that art and craft. It is a bit less like trying to shove an encyclopedia of crafting recipes into their heads, and a bit more like imparting grand ideas and universal principles behind the art of craftsmanship itself. A way of learning how to learn. An understanding of what is important and unimportant.

There's also another message transmitted along: the voice of the earth itself. The language Colossus spoke in creating the spell itself, both as words and as images, resonates with the minotaurs as they slumber.

As the cocoons crack, and the minotaurs start to wake up, Colossus finally opens his eyes once more.

"Arise, my children."

Okay, so what I want to do here is three-fold: First, give the minotaurs bodies made out of earth and stone. Like they're half-golems. I imagine this would probably give them longer lives, greater endurance, and make them less dependent on regular food sources. If this is a bit much it could just be "earth-like" bodies, like someone permanently cast stoneskin on them. But since you're telling me to go big here I figure hey, let's go big with this. Let's create some new biology here.

Second, is connecting the minotaurs to the earth on a spiritual level. What I'd like out of this is basically two things: To just give them an instinctual, innate understanding of stone and earth (like they were born with a geology textbook dumped into their head, basically) and also to be possibly used as a basis for teaching the minotaurs earth magic later.

And third, is the whole thing about teaching the minotaurs my sense of craftsmanship. Or, I guess it's closer to imprinting upon all of them Colossus' grand sense of how craftsmanship works, and his artistic vision behind it. As mentioned in the post, teaching the minotaurs how to learn, basically. I also imagine this would give them a strong appreciation for the kinds of art that Colossus himself likes the most, which at this point include stone sculptures and murals, but also weird esoteric and geometric patterns. The weird geometric patterns are images that are associated with the "language of the earth itself," which I am thinking is some sort of primal language that's not really meant to be fully comprehended by mortals. But maybe the minotaurs understand parts of it since it was kind of fundamental in their transformation.