Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Chicks dig giant robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah that's not really what I was talking about. BT has had a long-running problem of asking players to role-play away problems with the tabletop game. The solution to introducing Star League technology was politely asking players not to use too much of it "because it's rare" and the Clan dueling system came about because they had no rule for balancing fights besides tonnage at the time. Fights also taking forever to end because both sides are down to one torso with a ML shooting at each other because the early designers expected everyone to roleplay that they were retreating before their mech got totalled.

I did get to see a BT game end with two Mechs that had popsicle sticked each other (I think a Warhammer and Crusader) and they agreed to pop their hatches and just settle it with a fistfight.

After rolling up their characters using Mechwarrior (RPG) rules, of course

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GD_American posted:

I did get to see a BT game end with two Mechs that had popsicle sticked each other (I think a Warhammer and Crusader) and they agreed to pop their hatches and just settle it with a fistfight.

The Battletech cartoon WAS a documentary!!

I hope the loser honored his agreement to. the. letter.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
10 pages and no mention of Combattler V. Shameful. It fights with yo-yos!

Okay, it's an obscure show, but Combattler V has a loving awesome Japanese opening theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdLgwOAwBlY

Here's a better version of the song, but without the original opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgcYnZ8wJzQ

It got a 2012 fake remake (I think they used it for a pachinko machine because lol, Japan loves pachinko), and it loving kicks rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNTzcRBCXbs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

GD_American posted:

Isn't this basically a Metal Gear final boss

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bogus Adventure posted:

10 pages and no mention of Combattler V. Shameful. It fights with yo-yos!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Defiance Industries posted:

See, that's what I mean when I say that the game never decided if they wanted to be an RPG or a wargame. Those are assumptions you make when you are making a cooperative story game, not a wargame based around two players fighting it out. If you're playing Street Fighter 2, you wouldn't assume Akuma players will hold back on their best moves and only use kicks or some poo poo.

Well it comes from a time when the distinctions between an RPG and a wargame were less defined. Scenarios and referees were a much bigger part of wargaming at the time. Even the Warhammers were like that in their earliest editions. This is the same reason why tonnage is such a poor points system. It wasn't really meant to be one. It doesn't aim to balance opposing forces. It aims to represent the in-universe constraints on battlemech design.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Makes me think we need more giant robot fighting games, reminded there was a trailer for a Zoids one, and I think there's a reasonably popular Gundam one.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

the tall goose

I saw it in anime but they called it the tall geese, which is obviously a poor translation because there's only one tall goose robot

Treize shows up in the tallgeese 2 at the end

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stairmaster posted:

Treize shows up in the tallgeese 2 at the end

The robit fightin' game I'm playing on PS4 says there's a 3 as well

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I posted about that in the lovely tech thread but the Tallgeese kept killing its test pilots and induced a heart attack in a healthy 23 year old man, and it's not anywhere near as deadly to pilot as the Wing Zero

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I posted about that in the lovely tech thread but the Tallgeese kept killing its test pilots and induced a heart attack in a healthy 23 year old man, and it's not anywhere near as deadly to pilot as the Wing Zero

Which then had a 2.0 designed with a system that was even more insanely dangerous than the one in the 1.0, which was also made to look like an evil dragon, which the aforementioned 23 year old man who managed to get away with only minor internal bleeding after flying the Tallgeese decided to take as his own because the Tallgeese simply wasn't hazardous enough to his health

Everyone in Wing is loving insane

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Tbf as a 23 year old anime man, looking for a way to die honorably before he fades away is perfectly reasonable.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

He tries to drop a space station on earth

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gundam Wing is loving insane, but its Gundam design is beautiful. I remember when Endless Waltz dropped on Toonami, and I was stocked AF.

Also, I'm a very proud owner of a Tallgeese gunpla, and was happy that the model included the pieces for all 3 versions.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Makes me think we need more giant robot fighting games, reminded there was a trailer for a Zoids one, and I think there's a reasonably popular Gundam one.

I will never not take an opportunity to bring up Robot Alchemic Drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qUN2SnhY2I

It was rad :c00l:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The talk of all the creep stuff in battletech makes me glad that all Gundam wants to do is show you char's rear end

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Wing was my first Gundam, and goddamn it I can't help but love it despite all reasoned arguements against it.

My favourite designs in general are always the mass produced ones that get blown up in their hundreds by unique models. Nothing fancy, just a lump of practical metal meant for day to day war.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I remember watching Endless Waltz at some point, possibly during my Gundam phase, and just found it so utterly boring. I cleared most of the early UC stuff, even if I stopped midway through Zeta Gundam I think and never got to ZZ or Char's Counterattack as much as I should've watched it.
And then Gundam SEED Destiny rolled around and just utterly burned me out on the franchise and I went over to Macross after that. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stairmaster posted:

The talk of all the creep stuff in battletech makes me glad that all Gundam wants to do is show you char's rear end

His clone's name is "Full Frontal".

He's the "Second Coming" of Char.

e: The main character in that show is Banger Banagher Links

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 20, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I've posted this before but Gundam Wing/Endless Waltz was my intro to Gundam and led me to believe Gundam was a girls show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I used to know a girl who was a big fan of anime including Gundam. Seems for a while the done thing was you had giant robot action for the fellas and their pilots' bishie angst for the ladies.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

As someone completely from the outside, Gundam looks like something that might conceivably be cool but if I can't understand even the Wiki synopsis you ain't getting me to watch

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gundam Wing was the only Gundam series I managed to watch, and even that was kind of hard. I enjoyed Endless Waltz because it was an event on Cartoon Network, and it ended the story. I was free.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GD_American posted:

As someone completely from the outside, Gundam looks like something that might conceivably be cool but if I can't understand even the Wiki synopsis you ain't getting me to watch

The basic premise is robots cool, child soldiers bad, space wars cool, space nazis bad, going to space makes humanity psychic which they used to make cooler robots because Gundam never dropped that idea like everyone else did after 1980

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty much every version is some take on 'Humanity builds bigass space colonies and they start getting at odds with Earth, someone crashes a colony into Earth and kills a couple billion people, big horrible war ensues'

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The basic premise is robots cool, child soldiers bad, space wars cool, space nazis bad, going to space makes humanity psychic which they used to make cooler robots because Gundam never dropped that idea like everyone else did after 1980

Actually the premise of Gundam is none of these things are cool except maybe the robots in a perfect society with no war. The whole thing is basically a guy who lived through the end of Imperial Japan being incredibly, incredibly angry at the entire concept of Imperial Japan and turning that anger into a TV show.

But also Bandai gotta sell them model kits so hell yeah more robots don't they own

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much every version is some take on 'Humanity builds bigass space colonies and they start getting at odds with Earth, someone crashes a colony into Earth and kills a couple billion people, big horrible war ensues'

Big horrible war you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9MxWuAdBg0

(Dunno if it's NWS per se, but....uh....it's intense)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Psycho Landlord posted:

But also Bandai gotta sell them model kits so hell yeah more robots don't they own

Exactly

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If I were the Earth government, I would simply not allow the space colonies to act independently of Earthly authority.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After the eighth group of space colonies declare themselves a nazi empire and invade I'd just stop building them

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Psycho Landlord posted:

He tries to drop a space station on earth

Tried and failed to do something that Zeon did day one, episode one of OG Gundam.

GD_American posted:

There's a miniseries called 08th MS Team. It goes like this - somewhere else, while all the pretty anime people are having their melodrama, there's a team of grunts in the jungle and they get a bunch of lovely assignments. Meanwhile, their lieutenant continues to make bad decisions regarding fraternization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EZHetr5pKc

If that doesn't do anything for you, I'd skip the whole thing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

grassy gnoll posted:

If that doesn't do anything for you, I'd skip the whole thing.

I mean, I don't speak Japanese, soooooo

(I did watch it, pretty decent robutt fightin')
(even if their 'react to contact' drill starts with the word "eventually")

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Eh, they're not saying anything you can't puzzle out by context.

"Are you okay," shouts the sergeant as he dangles his private off a bridge.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

yeah that was fine for a clip but do they have dubbed/subbed versions? I'm fairly Gundam-ignorant

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RBA Starblade posted:

His clone's name is "Full Frontal".

He's the "Second Coming" of Char.

e: The main character in that show is Banger Banagher Links
Char fakes his death and returns under an assumed name, with a sickass perm and 80s aviators.

His secret identity? Quattro Bagina (4th Vagina)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GD_American posted:

yeah that was fine for a clip but do they have dubbed/subbed versions? I'm fairly Gundam-ignorant

Yes, just about everything Gundam has gotten a licensed translation at this point. Rightstuf sells the discs if you like those, the GundamInfo youtube channel has stuff up on a rotating basis, and it's otherwise available in the same ways anime has been available.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gundam plots are never that complicated, there's just a ton of them.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I watched Gundam Wing this year, since it was the earliest Gundam on vrv and I remembered people making GBS threads their pants over it back in middle/high school.

It was ok, not gonna hit the list of 'must-watch anime' but good enough when stoned on a quarantine night. The reused animations were kinda funny.

I want to watch original Gundam but those gifs have me thinking it's aged poorly.

E: I guess it was a different thread someone was posting original Gundam gifs in, but it was rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
The mechs planet runners in shattered steel were always my favourite off brand knock-off mechs visually speaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLuuRP8Ep18

Is there a list of all the mid 90's word for mechs used to avoid FASA trademark violation?