Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I loved just loading up with missiles in Heavy Gear 2 and vaporizing everything until I ran out of ammo 1/10th through the level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Engage Octaver SR-1, from Mamoru Nagano's The Five Star Stories

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The rx-78-5 is the coolest because its essentially the universal century version of heavy arms gundam

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Victory Gundam is a weird show but I really love the zanscare designs

i hope some of the later UC series will eventually get the kind of attention the early timeline has been getting lately, i'd love to see these designs updated

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I like those a lot, bold colors and distinctive silhouettes. Very "gently caress you I am not going to try to be stealthy."

I like a lot of the models for Infinity, their mechs (they call em "TAGs") I like quite a bit partially for the way they suit the visual motifs of their factions:

For the crazy cyberpunk spacefarers:

For the fallen, backwards ex-superpower:

For the current reigning hegemon:

For the unconventional, enlightened, and stealthy medium-tier power:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

^^^ I had totally forgotten about infinity, i dont play tabletop games but years ago i randomly stumbled across an infinity catalogue and the character designs in general are cool as hell in that series, lots of awesome power armor. iirc some of the factions are religion based and one is like a progressive muslim technocracy which i thought was cool also

Queadlunn posted:

Engage Octaver SR-1, from Mamoru Nagano's The Five Star Stories

did this guy do L-GAIM? looks a lot like some of the mechs from that

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

free hubcaps posted:

^^^ I had totally forgotten about infinity, i dont play tabletop games but years ago i randomly stumbled across an infinity catalogue and the character designs in general are cool as hell in that series, lots of awesome power armor. iirc some of the factions are religion based and one is like a progressive muslim technocracy which i thought was cool also

Haqqislam, the progressive Muslims, are the ones with that weird quadraped mech at the end! They rule and if I ever get the chance to play they would be likely my #1 army to play.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

free hubcaps posted:

l-gaim, the hyaku shiki, the list goes on

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

free hubcaps posted:

Victory Gundam is a weird show but I really love the zanscare designs

i hope some of the later UC series will eventually get the kind of attention the early timeline has been getting lately, i'd love to see these designs updated

also some of them have beam helicopter rotors on their arms, and a couple can transform into actual helicopters

let's not forget about that one arc where every bad guy weapon had large wheels in some way or another

victory gundam was more than prepared to experiment with its mechanical designs, especially on the enemy mechs, and i think it's really cool that it did that (even though it led to endless jokes about motorcycle battleships)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GD_American posted:

Big horrible war you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9MxWuAdBg0

(Dunno if it's NWS per se, but....uh....it's intense)

Wait did the kid get his head vaporized or did he duck inside his suit? Or is that another kid ducking inside his suit while his buddy got iced?

As for my contribution, here's the Warlord Battle Titan, specifically the Lucius Pattern:

Warhammer 40K is well known for having elaborate and baroque designs, and the currently available Mars Pattern Warlord is way more rounded and ornate than the Lucius. But I love how no-frills the Lucius is compared to any other titan the Imperium fields. It is a no nonsense, straight to the point machine designed solely for killing anything it comes across with no time to stand on ceremony.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wait did the kid get his head vaporized or did he duck inside his suit? Or is that another kid ducking inside his suit while his buddy got iced?

Kid got decapitated on screen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Midjack posted:

Kid got decapitated on screen.

Okay, I've seen the gif before but not the whole scene. The cut from the kid getting his head blown off to the other kid hiding deeper into his suit confuses me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Decapitated kid had different hair, with it tied up on top of their head.

Kid on the ground had short hair.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Arcsquad12 posted:

As for my contribution, here's the Warlord Battle Titan, specifically the Lucius Pattern:

Warhammer 40K is well known for having elaborate and baroque designs, and the currently available Mars Pattern Warlord is way more rounded and ornate than the Lucius. But I love how no-frills the Lucius is compared to any other titan the Imperium fields. It is a no nonsense, straight to the point machine designed solely for killing anything it comes across with no time to stand on ceremony.

GW actually has a beginner’s kit if 3 ultramarines and all the paint/brushes you need to paint them for 40 bucks. I’m having an internal conversation about how the first shot of heroine is always the cheapest.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Marsupial Ape posted:

GW actually has a beginner’s kit if 3 ultramarines and all the paint/brushes you need to paint them for 40 bucks. I’m having an internal conversation about how the first shot of heroine is always the cheapest.

You sure you didn't mean to respond to me in the gunpla thread?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Arcsquad12 posted:

You sure you didn't mean to respond to me in the gunpla thread?

No. I see Warhammer 4K, I have to publicly talk myself out of buying minis.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Marsupial Ape posted:

Save up and embrace Forge World prices.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

If you buy a 3d printer, mini armies get way cheaper.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

CainFortea posted:

If you buy a 3d printer, mini armies get way cheaper.

Don’t do this poo poo to me. I just bought a new soldering station!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

Don’t do this poo poo to me. I just bought a new soldering station!

I just got into minis and painting, though I do dnd figures so it's not like i'm doing 300 of them. The resin printer works very well for this, very smooth sides. :D

Edit: Even if I am loving terrible at using washes somehow.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 8, 2021

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

Since this is the mecha thread, may I suggest Adeptus Titanicus? It's all about mech combat with one of GW's best rulesets. It really evokes the feel of ponderous 30 meter tall walking weapons of mass destruction slugging it out. Managing power between various sub-systems, wearing down ablative void shielding, locational damage and repairing, area weapons that use templates, smashing through buildings, setting off reactors and causing massive explosions, etc. And because of the smaller 6mm scale and armies being like 3-6 mechs, you could probably acquire two full armies and enough terrain to outfit a table for the price of one 40k army.

Here's a lineup of the current models, that knight on the far left is about the size of a regular 40k space marine. In order, they are questoris, cerastus, and acastus knights, followed by warhound, reaver, warbringer, warlord, warlord psi-titan, and warmaster titans. The warhound titan is 17 meters tall, about the height of the average One Year War-era mobile suit from gundam. 40k mechs are massive and while knights are single-pilot machines even the relatively small warhound titan crams a crew of 7-10 into its body and head.

The Warlord-Sinister Psi-Titan. The emperor decided regular warlord titans weren't powerful enough, and so created a variant buffed up by an unwilling psyker who is permanently wired into the cockpit and under the control of the titan's captain. It can use the psyker's energy to buff itself in various ways, and that left arm cannon fires small black holes of psychic energy.

The newly released Warmaster, probably the largest model they'll make for the game. Dwarfs even the warlord and is bristling with weapons. Massive missile launcher in the center carapace, AA and AP weapon installations scattered over it, secondary shoulder guns that are the main weapons on a warhound, and absolutely massive plasma guns for arms.

Questoris Knights Magaera. I love their claws that they use to nip at the heels of the titans. And they are ridiculously detailed for models that are less than 2 inches tall.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I've never really watched Gordian but i desperately want this $300 gordian figure(s)

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Did anybody ever play the Armored Core games on PS1 and PS2? You could get super granular with your mech builds.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Marsupial Ape posted:

Did anybody ever play the Armored Core games on PS1 and PS2? You could get super granular with your mech builds.

Hell yeah, loved to make energy weapon mechs that went into meltdown 30s into a duel but still won by bursting the opponent down in the first 10s.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can't believe I didn't see the Scopedog silhouette in the Atlas Battlemech. It has changed but that original lineart is a straight up trace.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

free hubcaps posted:

I've never really watched Gordian but i desperately want this $300 gordian figure(s)

That's so ridiculous it's cool.

We're there more anime with football helmet robots? I seem to recall some off brand VHS with one

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FilthyImp posted:

That's so ridiculous it's cool.

We're there more anime with football helmet robots? I seem to recall some off brand VHS with one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5RHaBR78Vo

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Marsupial Ape posted:

Hell yeah, I loved tooling around building sick custom mechs, balancing power and weight, picking out a rad paintjob, fighting up the Raven leaderboard. I must have spent hours scouring every mission for all the secret parts, too.

The setting is pretty cool, too. The surface of the planet is all messed up so everybody lives in these huge underground cities ruled by competing cyberpunk megacorporations that hire mecha-driving mercenaries to gently caress with each other. Also there's rebels and rogue genetic experiments but everybody runs around in mecha.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

OutsideAngel posted:

Hell yeah, I loved tooling around building sick custom mechs, balancing power and weight, picking out a rad paintjob, fighting up the Raven leaderboard. I must have spent hours scouring every mission for all the secret parts, too.

The setting is pretty cool, too. The surface of the planet is all messed up so everybody lives in these huge underground cities ruled by competing cyberpunk megacorporations that hire mecha-driving mercenaries to gently caress with each other. Also there's rebels and rogue genetic experiments but everybody runs around in mecha.

It can be surprising that Armoured Core was by the Dark Souls people, but on a closer look, they seem to have a thing or two in common.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It can be surprising that Armoured Core was by the Dark Souls people, but on a closer look, they seem to have a thing or two in common.

You can even get the Moonlight laser blade for your giant robot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Polaron posted:

You can even get the Moonlight laser blade for your giant robot.

Patches and Ornstein (in a way) are in Armored Core For Answer too! Bloodborne's Pile Driver is just the HEAT Pile from AC as well, and Dark Souls 2's Pursuer's entry is a reference to how Armored Cores drop in, down to the red eye 'startup'.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

free hubcaps posted:

Yeah, Mamoru Nagano did a lot of work on L-Gain and then started his manga 'The Five Star Stories'. He's also done work on a handful of mecha/sci-fi anime including Zeta Gundam.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The Timberwolf. "As you can see, sir, I have plenty of missiles, big rear end guns, I'm quick and agile, and I'm here to ruin your day."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Stop pretending it's not a kitbash. It's a Mad Cat and it's friends with the Warbolt and the Warrauder.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

You spelled Timberwolf wrong. :colbert:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If you're gonna pretend that the Clans have value you could at least remember even those subnormals spell it with two words

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Error 404 posted:

You spelled Timberwolf wrong. :colbert:

Look at this Clanner. Don't you have a date with a test tube somewhere CLANNER?!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sanguinia posted:

Look at this Clanner. Don't you have a date with a test tube somewhere CLANNER?!

That's a nice Rasalhague republic you got there...

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Error 404 posted:

That's a nice Rasalhague republic you got there...

Careful, you keep talking poo poo I might have to sick the Phone Company on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Careful, you keep talking poo poo I might have to sick the Phone Company on you

What the hell is this guy talking about?

No, I GET the reference. I mean, without the translator, what the hell is this Rascal-jagian literally saying he's speaking Swedenese or whatever the hell they speak over there.