Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
So I dispute your claim that metal Gear Rex is the first American intro to mechs because there was also THE MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS and the Megazord was cool as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

dialhforhero posted:

So I dispute your claim that metal Gear Rex is the first American intro to mechs because there was also THE MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS and the Megazord was cool as gently caress.

What are you? Mid 30s? There were mechs in the Murricaville in the 70s!

https://youtu.be/FzMddr9aX7s

And this still means one is ignoring Mechagodzilla and Tetsujin (Gigantor) amongst others in the 50-60s. The mid 80s was a drat wonderland of big stompy robots beyond that.

Friggin kids these days. The hell are they teaching you in school?

https://youtu.be/2PYqO2F3h0k
Clearly not in Gosaurer's school that's for sure. :colbert:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

Nah, hands on mecha is cool and good. The tactical flexibility of being able to wield a variety of weapons that a humanoid hand offers, as well as the option to just straight up punch poo poo makes for far more exciting and spectacular fights than two giant walking gun turrets mindlessly shooting at each other. I mean poo poo, if you're not going to put hands on it, why the hell are you building a giant humanoid war machine to begin with? At that point, you might as well just build a tank with hover jets in place of treads. :colbert:

I'm not gonna make this claim with any veracity re: giant robots because that's a rabbit hole from which no discussion can escape, but the military has been dumping millions into legged robot research precisely to overcome the limitations of wheeled and tracked drive systems in difficult terrain. Every modern war featuring mechanized infantry has also involved conditions where traditional pack animals have still been the favored means of transporting supplies and even towing weapons, and pack trainers/handlers have always been in short supply.

Once a viable device is finally developed, you know a version with a gun on top will be about ten seconds behind.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Let's go for some real mecha here:

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak
I am not sure what you are talking about. They're just gonna be used for construction and around the factory and... dancing in the rain?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wlkCQXHEgjA

I love how the usage cases are all innocuous, and it's set to fun music.

They've got the two-legged variety, as well:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uhND7Mvp3f4

I realize these are not mechs, but it just shows (creepily) what McSpanky has indicated, that legs are considered a legitimate means of movement.

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak

quote:

It's a Jet! It's a Mecha! It's a Valkyire! The VF-1S Valkyrie from Robotech/Macross is a brilliant design of trying to bridge the gap between Ace Combat and Gundam. I grew up learning about the series from the Gamecube game Robotech Battlecry, and every attempt since to dive back in has been met with me growing sick of pop music, but it's still a fantastic mecha design.

Hm. I expected this to be much larger.

The Robotech mechs have always been my favorite. Is there an official reason given for why there's the hybrid configuration (half jet, half mech)? Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I don't know what it offers that the other two modes don't.

wankel13b fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 3, 2020

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Speaking of realistic mecha, let's talk about this bad boy:

Gasaraki. The anime that the "well actually" guy you know will tell you is the most realistic robot anime of all time. It involves robots that run on the spirit world channeled through an impossible material. No dances that control ancient psychic japanese robots.

It's an amazing ride.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Robot Jox will always have a special place in my heart for being the first time I saw cool actions in space and there was no sound because that is how space works.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wankel13b posted:

The Robotech mechs have always been my favorite. Is there an official reason given for why there's the hybrid configuration (half jet, half mech)? Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I don't know what it offers that the other two modes don't.

In the show the explanation was that the Battroid mode controls were hard to learn but the Gerwalk controls were very similar to an aircraft so it was a quick way to get aircraft pilots in robots. In universe the Gerwalk mode wasn’t deliberately designed in but was accidentally discovered when a test pilot was about to crash and was button mashing to save his life.

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak
Thank you kindly!

I see Mazinger Z mentioned earlier on this page. In the US it was known as Tranzor Z. The show featured the Aphrodite, which had rocket boobs:

https://i.imgur.com/XQOr34z.gif

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Droyer posted:

Centaur robots are cool!

Balius
The Balius is a quadrupedal, front-line OmniMech produced by Clan Hell's Horses. As of 3075, few details were available about the 'Mech. It is a totem 'Mech, resembling a horse, that is meant to improve morale as much as to be an effective combat unit.
Alt. Config. U
Equipped with five UMUs and two SRT-6s, this configuration is intended for underwater combat. Though the standard Flamer is useless underwater, the ECM Suite, ER Large Laser, and improved underwater mobility more than make up for it.

...Goddammit, Hell's Horses.

The cockpit is that black screen way under the head so the pilot can't see that great. In the 'standard' variant, the horses mouth opens and a flamer weapon is mounted in the mouth so it literally screams fire out of it. It has a laser mounted pointed directly out of its anus

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 3, 2020

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Captain Rufus posted:

And this still means one is ignoring Mechagodzilla and Tetsujin (Gigantor) amongst others in the 50-60s. The mid 80s was a drat wonderland of big stompy robots beyond that.

Okay well then you further prove my point along with Transformers being a very 80's thing.

OP made the statement that METAL GEAR REX was America's first obsession with mechas (which is a solid mid/late 90's thing) and I just wholeheartedly disagree :colbert:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Big Beef City posted:

Balius
The Balius is a quadrupedal, front-line OmniMech produced by Clan Hell's Horses. As of 3075, few details were available about the 'Mech. It is a totem 'Mech, resembling a horse, that is meant to improve morale as much as to be an effective combat unit.
Alt. Config. U
Equipped with five UMUs and two SRT-6s, this configuration is intended for underwater combat. Though the standard Flamer is useless underwater, the ECM Suite, ER Large Laser, and improved underwater mobility more than make up for it.

...Goddammit, Hell's Horses.

The cockpit is that black screen way under the head so the pilot can't see that great. In the 'standard' variant, the horses mouth opens and a flamer weapon is mounted in the mouth so it literally screams fire out of it. It has a laser mounted pointed directly out of its anus

Look, the only thing you need to know about Clan Hell's Horses is that they are so bugfuck insane that even the next most bugfuck fanatical Clans, Smoke Jaguar and Jade Falcon, wanted nothing to loving do with them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Big Guy and Rusty was a great show, I hear the comic it was based on went insane Big Guy felt like the quintessential "American" mech. Kind of rotund, not very stylish, and just full of a staggering number of guns and missiles.

Also he has a son he doesn't know how to relate to because Big Guy is a mech and Rusty is an actual, no fooling, sentient robot with advanced energy weapons.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Three pages in and still no Gundam Barbatos? Time to fix that I guess.

And here it is pulling the mecha equivalent of soloing a raid boss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad33pDzJcfQ

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Those heels and that codpiece are saucy. Between that an the mechas on their knees, how long until we start showing mechas becoming friends or maybe something more?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paragon1 posted:

Thank you for having the bravest/most glorious mech front and center.

The Urbanmech is this sort of impossible piece of technological wonder, and yet at the same time, incredibly lame no matter whatever iteration it comes in. It's essentially a walking turret - it doesn't go very fast, it doesn't have hands, and it has little more than a giant gun strapped to its skull.

Which, in the rules of Battletech, essentially makes it a walking death tank, if your piloting and gunnery is high enough.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Urbanmech owns, it's a 15-story R2-D2 with legs and a gat.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Urbanmech owns, it's a 15-story R2-D2 with legs and a gat.

They're like 3 stories tall.

BattleTech mechs aren't that big. An UrbanMech is about 10-13 meters tall (or about 30-35ft), give'r take. Probably a little shorter than that since it's a "smaller" mech in the BT game.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 3, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

They're like 3 stories tall.

BattleTech mechs aren't that big. An UrbanMech is about 10-13 meters tall (or about 30-35ft), give'r take. Probably a little shorter than that since it's a "smaller" mech in the BT game.

I guess everything seems exaggerated in the videogames/art, even the scout mechs in Mechwarrior 3 felt like 40-45 feet tall compared to the surroundings.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

some friends of mine used to play this fighting game that was like Mortal Kombat but it was with gundams instead

I always picked ball gundam because it triggered them because they all insisted that ball gundam wasn't an actual gundam

my argument was they called it ball gundam in the game which makes it a gundam and the game's producers clearly were the authority on what is or is not a gundam

gundam nerds are the worst

that's why ball gundam belongs at the apex of the pantheon of gundams

gundumb

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Let's do better than using triggered

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

some friends of mine used to play this fighting game that was like Mortal Kombat but it was with gundams instead

I always picked ball gundam because it triggered them because they all insisted that ball gundam wasn't an actual gundam

my argument was they called it ball gundam in the game which makes it a gundam and the game's producers clearly were the authority on what is or is not a gundam

gundam nerds are the worst

that's why ball gundam belongs at the apex of the pantheon of gundams

gundumb

Was it this game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AflEnp0Mu30 ?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Also yeah, Battle Assault 2 rules. Such lovely sprite work.

I played Deathscythe almost exclusively as a kid. Grabbing a copy of ebay was worth it, even though I have nobody to play it with.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

There's an adapted coin-op game for the SNES called Super EDF and it is really fun with save and load states. The controls walk the line between "death hulk" and "fun to play" very well.

Speaking of games, Total Annihilation introduced a unit that was basically like building godzilla, it was called Krogarth, it has never been topped

I'm a novice builder of gundam but humbly submit the best gundam is hi-mock

I built this dude for a group build thread a few years ago

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Please tell me the gun shoots seeds

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

looks about right

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Oh if we're allowed to post our robot toys in this thread then

https://imgur.com/a/JJQ9I3K

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
thinkin' 'bout those robots again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIP99avRnuM

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Captain Rufus posted:

I apologize on behalf of my fellow 90s kids.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Definitely always preferred mechwarrior-style mechs to anime ones, drat I wish they got model kits tho. Dude already posted the Timber Wolf and I always preferred Clan mechs. Big fan of the Supernova, a brick shithouse built for a single purpose.

That's the MW4 version, while I really think MWO's big redesigns of IS mechs look fantastic, I'm less of a fan of a lot of their Clan ones. Something about a lot of the proportions just look off to me.

Anyways speaking of Gundams the best one is the Woundwort.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mordja posted:

Definitely always preferred mechwarrior-style mechs to anime ones

Many of the first mechwarriors were anime designs that were used under questionable legal circumstances. Though most of those designs have now been phased out their influence on the general aesthetic remains. Mechwarrior-style mechs are anime ones.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Droyer posted:

Many of the first mechwarriors were anime designs that were used under questionable legal circumstances. Though most of those designs have now been phased out their influence on the general aesthetic remains. Mechwarrior-style mechs are anime ones.

I'm well aware of the Unseen and Macross, but also, you know what I meant.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CXNa_m52r0

I think folks here might enjoy this.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
I really feel like Earth Siege got screwed. It was a solid Mechwarrior clone by a really good company. The whole chopping out brains thing was awesome.

Then there was Starsiege where the mechs spent time without human brains and evolved and poo poo and there was secret martian technology and an Emperor of Mankind (TM--WH40K) knockoff and it was awesome.

Then there was Tribes. And that was fun. But then all it was was Tribes and not mechs and that makes me sad to this day. Though Tribes was an awful lot of fun.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

It has spoilers though. Don't watch if you're starting Gurren Lagann or Diebuster.

Not sure if Unicron is as big as Saturn but that's Transformers scale for you. And let's not get into the Death Stars.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

How many people have A) gotten into a fist fight with a mech, and B) won?

1)Breetai from Macross. He won. (Oh god, that same episode a Valkyrie mugged a zentradi guard and stole his uniform and was just clanking around the ship undetected, christ that show had some amazing scenes)

2) The Spiral King from Gurren Laggann. He lost, though not before he tore apart a mech with his bare hands.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Nebakenezzer posted:

How many people have A) gotten into a fist fight with a mech, and B) won?

1)Breetai from Macross. He won. (Oh god, that same episode a Valkyrie mugged a zentradi guard and stole his uniform and was just clanking around the ship undetected, christ that show had some amazing scenes)

2) The Spiral King from Gurren Laggann. He lost, though not before he tore apart a mech with his bare hands.

3) Master Asia from G Gundam.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

the tall goose

I saw it in anime but they called it the tall geese, which is obviously a poor translation because there's only one tall goose robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Do you consider it a fistfight if he blew open the cockpit with explosives and then punched the pilot?

Because a side character in the background of Supreme Commander did that to an ACU, which is about the size of a skyscraper.