Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Droyer posted:

Centaur robots are cool!

Balius
The Balius is a quadrupedal, front-line OmniMech produced by Clan Hell's Horses. As of 3075, few details were available about the 'Mech. It is a totem 'Mech, resembling a horse, that is meant to improve morale as much as to be an effective combat unit.
Alt. Config. U
Equipped with five UMUs and two SRT-6s, this configuration is intended for underwater combat. Though the standard Flamer is useless underwater, the ECM Suite, ER Large Laser, and improved underwater mobility more than make up for it.

...Goddammit, Hell's Horses.

The cockpit is that black screen way under the head so the pilot can't see that great. In the 'standard' variant, the horses mouth opens and a flamer weapon is mounted in the mouth so it literally screams fire out of it. It has a laser mounted pointed directly out of its anus

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Urbanmech owns, it's a 15-story R2-D2 with legs and a gat.

They're like 3 stories tall.

BattleTech mechs aren't that big. An UrbanMech is about 10-13 meters tall (or about 30-35ft), give'r take. Probably a little shorter than that since it's a "smaller" mech in the BT game.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 3, 2020

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

They did. Play Battletech again and enjoy your Marauders and your Archers.

everyone should play Battletech imo (inc the new box sets)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

They're both.
Probably.

Ultra AC's are specifically noted as being rifled. Which PROBABLY implies that standard variants are smoothbore.

And depending on if you're playing past 3025 most of the stuff in that list isn't lostech (and even in 3025 and before). And in fact, in the most recent release of the PnP game all that stuff is explicitly very, very much in there :D

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Oh. Boy.
Do they ever.
Wow do they ever. Yes go to SOME. LENGTH.* to describe what happened, there RE: what happened to the technology and why. Very. Specifically.

To briefly recap, imagine the Empire of Man except without the trappings of 40k magics and what not, just..normal humans. And instead of Horus, it's a crazy dude who decides to get a little too friendly to the young emperor and then assasinate him. After a very, very long protracted war to stop the whole thing, the victorious (and ever so magnanimous and all around great guy) general watches as everyone else just bitches about how actually they should be in charge. So he takes the entire military and says "Lol go gently caress yourselves" and peaces out into deep space forever not forever.

That loss of tech and the resultant,centuries long power vacuum that followed is where the whole "Why did you nuke my entire industrial complex of core planets and ability to click rocks together" comes from and determines who has what and why when the game "opens". Its..a very important facet of game lore.

* Yes those are two videos totaling 4 loving hours talking about the Amaris coup. And they're awesome. All of that guy's videos are loving awesome. How are you in a Mecha thread and not watching Tex Talks Battletech? Go do that, even if it's not those videos.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

cool

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yeah, I actually had to look for what I said too and found a different posting NOT on Sarna that claimed what I said initially.

If I'd have given it a guess off the top of my head just from game mechanics and the different ammo types and crap like that I'd have said "absolutely AC's are rifled" possibly EXCEPT Ultra ACx's since those seem to be shotguns...essentially. Sorta. Depending.
Frankly I think it depends on the manufacturer and how it looks on the mech and the dice/mechanics just get 'rounded out' so they play the same. As far as I'm concerned this explanation has worked as well as any for me.

"They're slug throwing guns similar to tank canons that fire various projectiles and come in different sizes. Sometimes they shoot faster and sometimes they act like shotguns so just imagine what YOUR robot is doing, it's doing that right now, ok?"

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Midjack posted:

If you get near ComStar it shows pretty clearly.

Who these guys?

Where do you get "technology as magic" from these guys having a totally normally one here?

Once again for those who aren't into Battletech. There ISN'T magic in BattleTech. Alright? None. Not 'oh he's joking because he doesn't like Comstar' or 'maybe there was and they wrote these guys out'. Nope. Nooo magic. So... then look at those guys again. lol. Fuckin Comstar. BattleTech is so great.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 13, 2020

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

These would probably be better if he talked a normal speed, its brutal how slow he talks.

Agreed.
However, at least he speaks clearly in a non-nerd voice and it's done in an extremely well produced and researched way that draws from TONS of sources and with a decent dose of humor at appropriate times. I've seen far worse. For more "Mecha" specific, he does ones specifically on some mechs themselves, such as:

The Blackjack: GM's OKAYEST PRODUCT (yes that GM is in the game and he says why, and the history...if you're into that).

I dunno. I'll stop pimping it. I like decently produced dryly humorous docs on this stuff and can't explain why.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 17, 2020

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Another thing about battletech is how light the mechs are. The heaviest mechs are 100 tons. Heavy mechs the second largest group of mechs are 60-75 tons. For reference an abrams tank is around 70 tons and isn't 20-30 feet tall. Endo steel is an alloy of steel, aluminum, and titanium so it doesn't even have the excuse of magic space elements. I love battletech but the scale is really weird and off.

I mean, an Abrams tank is 32 feet long. So...if it DID stand up

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sparq posted:

Get a 3d printer and go nuts!

Here's an example:

Hunchback: big rear end gun, chunky robot.

...I love this. A LOT.

And in my mind I'm seeing that smug Kuritan gently caress torso twist back to square thinking "I have driven the enemy from the field." While the elemental is daintily lubing up the servos on its claw hand right before extracting the pilot from that cockpit like an automotive line robot trying to get the last hotdog out of a pack.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

tbf ejecting from a bt mech is a gambit to begin with, given that some will blow you out sideways or backwards and will probably do so clear of other components depending on the model, let alone let you determine you just want to pop the top strategically enough to blow off the huge armored dude with a pneumatic death grip right on the latch itself

e: I always like to imagine that one of the side shot cockpit models gets knocked over on that side sorta lamely, and the still alive but mostly out cold pilot is there for a second or two, embarrassed and shaken, then *FWOOOMP* mach 1 right into a cloud of dust with a little acme chute popping out because mice chewed through the eject sensors this is canon

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 5, 2020

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

That BattleTech cartoon linked on the last page?

It got retconned into the existing game universe as a real thing that exists.
As a bullshit TV show/propaganda video.

So, like, people would be familiar with the events of the cartoon in the same head shaking, eye rolling "lol are you kidding me" way you'd expect some one to react to it, but it's a very real thing that happened. THAT'S how you cover for lovely games/movies/books/expansions in a franchise imo.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

quote:

Shin had the sickening feeling that one of them was Hohiro Kurita's Grand Dragon.

:qq:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

STEP SIBKO RUINS MY CHANCE AT A BLOODNAME BEFORE KHAN COMES HOME - 3:09

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Careful, you keep talking poo poo I might have to sick the Phone Company on you

What the hell is this guy talking about?

No, I GET the reference. I mean, without the translator, what the hell is this Rascal-jagian literally saying he's speaking Swedenese or whatever the hell they speak over there.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You want cool, intimidating mech art?
*sigh*
Alright, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I JUST watched this last night. He's SO goddamn good at these. Everyone should watch all of his poo poo. His two parter on The Amaris Civil War should win some kind of major award.

Except with this, particular one, he ...missed one thing. It's not a big thing. But when you're talking about the ENTIRE history of the Marauder program and you even have a little segment about "One offs and legendary versions" of the Marauder, and you miss this ONE THING, it sorta stands out.
The Black Marauder isn't covered wtf its like the only supernatural thing IN battletech and you DON'T talk about it :mad:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Huh, didn't know that one was real, or true to canon. Because it showed up in the Battletech Tabletop LP session and I had just sorta dismissed it as something the guy running it came up with because the thread is all about changing the setting.

Nah, that's why everyone in the thread was like "oh poo poo! no way!" when it showed up, heh. It's not really anything you expect to run into. Ever. At all.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nah, I don't introduce stuff like that unless it exists in canon in some way.

Most of my weird HPG shenanigans are "Wobbies Did It First" stuff.

BattleTech doesn't shy away from weird unexplainable pseudomagical poo poo like the Phantom 'Mech pilots, the Black Marauder, Word of Blake hyperspace Kronenberg research, or Nova Cat visions always being 100% correct (with the Nova Cats themselves generally not being worldly enough to interpret them correctly until after the events have already happened).

Yeah, but 'phantom' mech pilots like The Mysterious Stranger or whatever that assassin is, is plausible because it may just be one person assuming the mantle of previous ones (at least that's the one I'm thinking of). WoB's FTL stuff I'm not familiar with but I guess I didn't consider 'what happens when you jump/look into hyperspace' to be paranormal, just "Thems the breaks", sorta. The Tripitz, and whatever that one jump ship was that warped in with everything inside it sliced in half and moved over a couple mm's
The thing I mentioned seems to be the only ACTUAL paranormal thing out there that I'm aware of? Given that it eats people and shapeshifts and grows teeth and poo poo, and isn't just 'oh spooky'

But I'd defer to your call on that kinda thing I think :)

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Last Call posted:

Tex and the others that contribute to the Battletech stuff is really outstanding. I've probably watched/listened to it all a few times by now. It's so well done and captivating.

I never knew of the Black Marauder, so that's pretty cool. It's only fitting there would be some ghost stories out there.

I dunno if you play the latest Battletech pc game that came out (2019?) but one of the biggest/best mods for it, RogueTech, has him and Duncan Fischer, the producer, and I think a couple others as pilot voice packs.
Without knowing this, I got a pilot named 'Tex' at startup after installing the mod. Thought nothing of it. Went into a battle, and...holy poo poo, it was TEX, TEX, talking to me! lol

(plus just get RogueTech anyway it's got pretty much every mech ever made in it, a mech designer, lets you use two lances, as well as pilot vehicles and stuff, it's a GREAT add on)

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 31, 2021