Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's already been mentioned but I need to make another Patlabor appreciation post

special mention to the frankly insane attention to detail in the mechanical animation of Patlabor 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsMTpSDAGxM&t=66s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Shinji really doesn't even spend much time doing that sort of thing though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

twistedmentat posted:

It's Mamarou Oshii which is pretty much a good sign no matter what. Its funny because the TV series is pretty silly, but the movies are serious as hell.
Almost every version of patlabor is good for different reasons. The second movie in particular is so dry and slow that I actually think it's a pretty big weakness. One which anime fans who know of it tend to overlook because it can be held up as a totally serious, adult film-which is something many anime fans still have a chip on their shoulder about. But it still features a lot of compelling visuals and in particular some frankly overindulgent(but highly appreciated) extremely detailed mecha shots.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That 'scorpion' in the second image there reminded me of this thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alI5LphKOyg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeFgdnoRqWA

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 23, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's also called "Cybranasaurus Rex"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Supreme Commander 2 isn't anywhere near a garbage fire. At absolute worst it's not quite what supcom diehards wanted due to being less macro/"huge unit numbers" focused and a bit more casual.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That doesn't really mean anything to me as a non-diehard, it's a game I played when I was a kid(maybe 13-14 years old?) over at a friends house on their laptop and enjoyed watching the big robots blow each other up

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Defiance Industries posted:

Then skip the parts where you try to defend its quality and instead say "have you considered using time travel to play it when you were a child and didn't know any better"
I've also played it recently because I own it on steam. It is still, as it was then, a totally fine RTS game which is why it has good ratings and is remembered fairly well outside of a specific small niche of players who are still playing FA.

If you don't like it that's fine, but it is in no way shape or form a "garbage fire". Garbage fire videogames are things like Sonic 06 and Cyberpunk 2077.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Sorry about your extreme allergy to goofy unit names.

Also, I recently found this cool artist:
https://mobile.twitter.com/buragay_jan/status/1382003764492521474

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SlothfulCobra posted:

There is a bit of an issue I think with the overall design of the mechs. A lot of them don't really seem well-conceived, and a few of them are basically just real-world vehicles on legs.
Usually I'm able to suspend my disbelief wrt practicality of mechs(at least to an extent), but in the context of a world war setting the only thing I can think about is a shell from a bunker hundreds of yards away smashing into these needlessly high profile robot's flimsy midsections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
they also have suspension of disbelief built into how they work