Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
This is a movie I would call a favorite, even though I rented it from Netflix back in like 2008 and have never seen it again. I own it on Blu-Ray but it's still shrink-wrapped.

I was just so emotionally devastated by it that I can never quite muster the guts to watch it again, even though it's hauntingly beautiful. I've listened to the score about half a billion times, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

If you bought the Blu-ray a while ago it won’t work. Some PIP commentary thing comes up and you can’t get rid of it. They did a recall for a few months but I didn’t notice the problem until well after they stopped doing it of course.

E: Ignore this, I was thinking of Sunshine, not the Fountain. I’m sure your still shrink wrapped Blu-ray is fine.

That's a relief, because this thread has me itching to finally open and watch it this weekend.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Well, not that anyone needed my confirmation, but hot drat this movie still kicks my rear end.

Not to be too depressingly literal, but I've always felt that future Tom is actually real (a magical real, anyway), with Tom's research leading him to conquer aging and disease. When he reaches Xibalba and makes peace with his death, it supernovas and he is reborn, not only as life for Izzi's tree, but a spiritual rebirth that places him back at the critical inflection point we see repeated: does he remain obsessively focused on his work and neglect his dying love, or does he follow her into the unknown and accompany her in her final moments of grace?

Regarding the yellow/white thing, I'm sure there's more to it, but white appears to be the color of the wisdom of acceptance of death and rebirth, while yellow is the color of fear and struggle against the unknown. The entire Conquistadore segment is bathed in yellow, save when the gold-clad queen lets in the morning light to give Tomas his quest. Bathed in a brilliant white light, she gives a thinly-veiled metaphor for her cancer and tells him to wear the ring when he finds Eden, and together they will live forever.

Then, he does not go for the walk in the snow with her, abandoning her to stay in his dark lab, bathed in yellow and desperately struggling to defeat death. He removes the ring to scrub for surgery, and it mysteriously disappears. When he has his inspiration to use the piece of the tree, it's through looking up at a bright white light; however, the skylight tints it yellow, twisting the knowledge for his purpose. Izzi steps into a blindingly white light in the museum and collapses. When she awakes, she remarks that in that moment, she felt whole, and she was no longer afraid.

In the future, there is very little light or color at all and he is dressed all in deep black, as he is near the end of his struggle and can do nothing but wait. As Izzi's memory continues to prod him and he watches her tree wither and die, his clothes lighten and he is bathed in Xibalba's light. Finally, his clothes are brilliant white and his skin is ghostly pale as he ascends the tree, emerges from the bubble, and embraces his mortality. It is in that moment that he has reached Eden, as it not only contains the tree of Life, but the tree of Wisdom. That is when he finds the ring out of nowhere, places it on his finger, and is obliterated by Xibalba, spreading him through the cosmos and revitalizing Izzi's tree. Together in love and death, they live forever.

I apologize if that's a little surface-level, I'm bad at reading movies and too often take things at face value.

edit: Also, I've done a lot of thinking, and I can't name a single cinematic moment as breathtaking as the supernova

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 14, 2020