Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Babold
HP: 5/5
Memory: Charging (using)
Satiation: 8 -> 9

Babold joined the ritual crew to wave his new pitch fork lance triumphantly and dance with frenzied vigor to help charge the dread magics.

CHARGE the Ritual: 1d100+19 98 Forgot the +1 from the pitch fork lance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Name: Syd
Memory: Metalworking(Using)
Satiation: 5>6
Bile: 0

It seems the others were excited at the idea of summoning a demon to protect Hol'm. That seemed...incredibly dangerous to Syd, but whatever. Not like he'd be in the ritual room if things went wrong. In fact, maybe it'd be a good idea to just not be near Hol'm when the demon gets summoned.

"Okay, I'm going to head out to talk with the Orcs, for personal safety reasons and also because I actually know where they are. The Orcs have poor quality tools and lack the ability to mend or replace them, so I figure that's what we'll offer them in exchange for whatever help they can provide. We don't have a functional workshop yet, but they don't know that, so don't tell them. Anyone who can convince the Orcs you know how to help them with their broken tools, or else is just a good swindler, are welcome to join me."

Parley with the Orcs, using Metalworking to promise to mend/replace their tools: 1d100+15 51

Astus fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 8, 2020

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Tine
Hp: 4/5 ; Satiation: 6>7 ; Bile: 0>1 ; Memories: Leather-working(using)

"Great idea, if their gear is falling apart, showing them what we can offer them could get them on side.

Heh heh heh, I can't wait to see the humans faces when a bunch of orcs appear."

Leather-working product demo for the orcs.: 1d100+10+6 82

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 9, 2020

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Cobb
Memory: Cobbling
Satiation: 4 -> 5

"Great idea, Syd, Tine. I'll come along, see if any of their shoes need repairing, sort of a nice free sample sort-of-thing.

"Orcs do wear shoes, right?"

Offer cobbling service to help parley with the orcs: 1d100+10+5 34

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

[Cobbold #39 posted:

]
Face: A2

HP--------= 4/5
Satiation-= 8 > 9
Bile------= 0 > 1
Memories--:
-Furious Trance [Ready to go!]
--"...Focus. Aim. Strike. Repeat. Again. Again. You are angry at me, yes? Good. Take your anger, aim, strike."
-- *crack*
--"There. Progress. The world is full of horrors, and there are far worse things you will face out there than my training. Now keep your anger heated and practice on the air while someone finds you a replacement dummy."

Special:
-Stars Swarming Heaven: [1] Free reroll, declare usage up front.
--"Courtesy of a certain mission to decommission. Good results not guaranteed."

-Devil's Luck: [1] Free(?) 1d8, some strings attached.
--"Courtesy of a certain mission to decommission. Somehow you know using this will come back to haunt you."

Rats. The bones were this close to winning, but not lucky enough.
There will be more chances to get a scythe, but not having it now was going to be annoying for a while yet.

"Gah. I'll be on watch duty if anyone needs me."

#39 on watch duty.: 1d100+8 100

#39 thought back. There weren't much in the way of training dummies here, was there?
Nothing like back... Where, exactly? Didn't matter. Those dummies could take a whack, and that's what mattered.
Easy enough to put back together for another go, too. Don't have the materials around here for something like that.

Ah. Good times. Good times.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Walsh

Memory: Carving
Satiation: 1 -> 2

Walsh investigated the Ritual Room with awe, then immediately leapt into helping. "Ooh, you're going to want to carve the runes a little cleaner than that. This isn't quite my wheelhouse, but... here, show me where to put these, and I'll cut them clean. Together, we'll summon something great... and terrible."
Helping to Summon a Demon: 1d100+10+1 55

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Basher

Memory: Breaking Things (Not In Use)
Satiation: 2 -> 3

Basher followed the cobbods who were off to negotiate with the orcs. He carried stuff that the others needed to impress them. Maybe they'd be impressed with how much Basher could carry!

Carry Stuff to Impress Orcs 1d100+1 = 46

Hey, I think there should still be two Pitchforks left. There were three originally and only one got claimed!

Never mind.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 9, 2020

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

Hey, I think there should still be two Pitchforks left. There were three originally and only one got claimed!

Boba Pearl posted:

Vek Babold Faust1x pitchfork

Three names! :eng101:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Name: Sadie
HP: 4/5
Memory: Recklessness
Satiation: 10 > 11
Bile: 1 > 2(?)

Some people were heading to the ritual room, which would almost assuredly blow up and hurt everyone if I helped, some people were talking all about their cool trades they did and how it would get orcs to be our allies or something, and I'd surely offend them by using the wrong fork at dinner - or maybe by using a fork at all? There was Magdalene who needed to be watched over but clearly my bad luck shouldn't be anywhere near her when she's recovering. And the perimeter, well I could watch the perimeter, but whether I'd still get up to sound an alarm was a question. Sometimes I just get lost in the haze when I start staring somewhere.

So obviously the very best choice, most likely to injure me and least likely to hurt my family - I mean, friends, was to go out into the fields where traps belonged, and get to work on replacing the tripped traps and installing new ones. How, you might ask, did I expect to be able to figure out what traps were still active and not? Why, I had a hoe for a reason. So I simply went to the trap fields, and I started hoeing the best I could. I never knew it could be so relaxing to hoe, as I dug into the dirt, half sprung traps exploding in front of me. I was placing my traps just a little deeper using the lines from the hoing, because I thought it might trick them more! Or maybe the traps would stop working. Probably the latter.

I saw Vek setting up traps, and expertly moving around the ones still placed, while my hoe got stuck in its third bear trap of the day. He was so good at setting traps, I got a little discouraged. But I still waved at him because it would be rude not to, "Hope I'm not making a mess of your traps. Don't worry, I'll set 'em back up. And I'll make sure I'm the only one who gets hurt if it goes wrong." Ha. Ha. Ha. I forced a laugh. That was a joke after all. I totally wouldn't choose to do something that gets me hurt without caring.

Recklessly place my traps all over: 1d100+10+10+1 101

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Health: 3/5 HP
Memory: Trapping (using)
Items: Pitchfork (+1)
Satiation: 11

Vek suddenly snapped to attention in the midst of his trap-setting duties when he saw some movement in the corner of his vision.

"Hrrng?" the Cobbold grunted with a start, before audibly relaxing. "Oh, s'juss you, Sadie."

It was another one of the Cobbolds from Hol'm, the reckless one with the dewy eyes. She was waving at him.

"Wass wonderin' what those loud snappies were," he managed, conversationally.

"Hope I'm not making a mess of your traps." Sadie said, quite amicably. "Don't worry, I'll set 'em back up. And I'll make sure I'm the only one who gets hurt if it goes wrong."

Vek grinned, grunted, nodded, and pumped a fist to say 'good work' to Sadie, then he shrugged and got back to the task of rummaging through his tool sack for some makeshift caltrops that had spilled from their pouch.

He knew how it was: sometimes you had to trip a trap yourself to get a good idea how it worked and how to make it even better. Learning helps Hol'm! This was good.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Radican

Memory: Itching (in use)
Satiation: 7 -> 8

Something flickered within Radican. She remembered exactly what these berries were.

Before her transformation she'd had an itchy rash across her upper body. She still had that rash, but as a human she was able to get a numbing poultice for it. Countless memories of medicine and relief blurred together indistinctly, with various details skulking at the margins. That this berry was an ingredient in the poultice was one of the few details that came clearly.

Cowtip. It's called cowtip, because supposedly you could feed one to a cow and it'd sedate her enough that you could knock her over one-handed.

Itching her way over to the fabled "berries that are bad to touch": 1d100+10+8 41

Turns out that knowing what it's called does rear end-all in terms of actually locating some, though.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Name: Sproggle
Memory: Painting
Satiation: 6->7
Bile: 1->2
Affinities: Ritual Room +5

Out gathering more dirt in the fields (you could never have enough dirt, there were so many colors of dirt), Sproggle watched in horror as Sadie accidentally set off trap after trap as she tilled the dirt. This was dangerous, risky, reckless! Any wrong step could lead to a bear trap around the leg! It was a good defense against the humans, but it could catch cobbolds just as easily! Even more easily! Yes-yes, he needed to make this safe. He needed to make sure cobbolds could know where the traps were. It was very lucky that Sproggle was there to help point them out.

As he laid down lines and diagrams and labels, it occurred to Sproggle that he wasn't entirely sure where the traps actually were. Better to mark the spaces he wasn't sure about, too. They could be traps! But what if the humans came along and saw the labels? That would make the traps useless, worthless, pointless! He had to add fake labels too, so the humans would fall into the traps. Wait, was this one a label for the humans or the cobbolds? And was it a trap or not? It was probably fine. Yeah, that looked safe!

Helpful Trap-Labelling!: 1d100+6+10 52

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Name: Amelie
Memory: Yellow Journalism (using)
HP 3/5
Satiation: 8
Bile: 1 > 2
Notes: +1 Ritual Room use
Items: Bear Claw

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The journalist, the mistake, and the janitor decided to keep watch. They found the tallest trees in the forest, and perked their ears to listen around for any steps of twigs, or seeing a rumble in the brush. #39 patrolled back and forth, while Amelie and Hyde kept watch. There wasn’t much to see the forest was alive and breathing, with bugs chirping, cicadas singing, and everywhere bird song was playing. #39 found the tracks of a deer, and followed them to a spot of ground which was stained with blood. Leading away were bloody footprints. There was something else hunting in the forest, there shouldn’t be any humans yet, they were still a 2 day march away. Amelie, always itching for a new story, followed #39 to where the creature seemed to be dragged. As they approached, they heard a troupe of humans singing.

Hyde stayed in the tree while #39 and Amelie followed them a short while, they could see the dead deer, skinned and it’s carcass hanging from the wagon that was being pulled by a pair of horses. Traders, traders with valuable resources. They thought about attacking the caravan, but even the merchants were wearing heavy plate armor, in the back as they followed they saw what they were bringing to trade. Food, armor, and guns. They would have to get more people to stop the caravan, the 7 of them couldn’t even make an attempt, they’d need at least half of Ho’lm and even then it would be dangerous.

Amelie, #39, Hyde, and 4 Faceless, Keeping Watch: 4d100+230 444 vs Keeping watch difficulty: 5d100 243

• Reward: Advanced Intelligence. New Siege Stratagem “Sabotage the Supplies”

Sproggle was the first out and he was… Helping? Vek and Sadie’s eye swam as all of the different labels and warnings started to mess with their depth perception, as though they were staring at a flat canvas yet, when they moved their heads 3 dimensional shapes popped out. It was disorienting at the very least. They could sense the satiation used to craft the traps, and followed their perceptions to each trap, easily resetting it. The humans had actually avoided a great deal of them, there were less to reset than they thought there would be, given the size of the human encampment, and the amount that fled from the battle the night before.

They set up some new traps while they were out there, and sproggle dutifully marked them down. As they were setting traps, they found the footsteps of the humans that had been approaching, and decided to place some directly in their path should they try to approach the same way from the town again. The traps had been majorly expanded, there was no way to get to the Cobbolds encampment without falling into them, only a thin winding space for Cobbolds to move through was left.

As they were exploring, Sadie, got a shiver down her spine, someone… Or something was watching them. She signalled to Vek, who reached out and grabbed one of Sproggle’s arm shushing him gently. Sadie jerked in one direction with her horn, and they creeped, the forest had opened up to a clearing with dead earth all around. Trees were fallen and lifeless, a vibrant dark red lichen growing on the corpse of the now dead logs, angry red mushrooms with bright red cherries growing out of the lichen. As they approached closer, they saw Radican leading a group of cobbolds, collecting the berries, they waved as the group went about their business.

Vek Sadie Sproggle and 3 Faceless, Traps: 2d100+274 399 vs Difficulty Traps: 5d100 299

Radican tried their best to remember where they had been told the berries grew. They knew it was dangerous somehow, but they couldn’t quite place where or why. They wandered aimlessly in the forest, following half-forgotten directions. He remembered it had something to do with red lichen, that they must follow it, and that it would be in the North? Maybe, maybe North by North East? Luckily Cobbolds had an excellent sense of direction, being tied to the moon and the stars, they followed the north star in their heart.

It wasn’t long before they had reached a clearing, the berries they were looking for had been found, growing out of thick mushrooms.

They quickly sprinted in and started picking as many as they could. They saw Sadie, Vek, and Sproggle who waved to them, first enthusiastically, then more frantically, they were yelling… Something? And pointing at the tree in the center of the clearing. Before Radican knew what happened, they were being pulled by the leg a thick veiny flesh covered vine had wrapped around him, it felt like his ankle was being crushed under an enormous weight.

Sadie, Vek, and Sproggle ran in as the men and women Radican was leading fled. Radican used their sharp claws to make deep cuts into the vine. Every slice throwing a red fluid not unlike blood into the air, an arterial spray that coated Radican nearly head to toe. More and more fleshy vines started to descend from the tree, and rise from the ground. The four of them formed a box and cut at the vines with their weapons and their claws. It was a hard fight, but together they were able to escape the tree’s malevolent gaze. As they left they swore the vines were waving goodbye, in a way that almost dared them, no challenged them to return.

The other cobbolds that fled cheered as their heroes returned safely, and pooled together the fruits of their labor. They had nearly half a pound of these berries, an excellent thing to have in preparation of a fight.

6 Faceless +
Radican
: 6d100+41 352 vs Berries Difficulty: 5d100+50 273

• New 1x Bonus “+200 poisoned claws” Can use one time during a combat

The ritual room was lit with a menacing light, purple clouds flowed gently on the ground as the candles were lit. The orb itself was a swirling maelstrom of energy, occasionally letting off a loose bolt of electricity, a warning of danger. The deeper you stared into the orb, the longer you felt pulled in. Faust had felt the pull multiple times, he knew if he just tried hard enough he could reach in and pull something out. The air was electric, they were going to do something powerful.

The books Magdalene had given the Cobbolds were vague and written in spirals, it was hard to grasp the important parts, but together they were able to draw the circles needed, light the candles, and have the proper amount of satiation and bile on the dais surrounding them. As they placed each item the orb started to swirl faster and faster. There was something in the air it seemed as though they had grabbed the attention of a great… Something. The atmosphere seemed to bend at odd angles, and clouds pulled into pockets that shouldn’t exist. The Cobbolds took their positions, and started to call out to the great darkness to see what would come of it.

Together they raised their voices in exultations, the jubilee of their voices warm and welcoming as they cooed out some great being from the ether. The orb cracked open and for a split second, they could see into the abyss, a great eye peered at them, and just as quickly, something was spit out by the orb.

The demon fell to the ground, there was a wet splat, and then it’s tendrils and body folded into itself, then it stood up.

“Oh, wow, I got summoned by what has to be the saddest looking sorcerers I have ever seen, I guess I should give you a run down since this is Babby’s first demon and all. My name, as you so seductively, yet by as far as I can tell, unwittingly have called, is Ceres, but before we begin… My offering please.”

The cobbolds brought forth the satiation, and the demon quickly snatched them gobbling them up with a ravenous hunger, the stones disappearing into the black abyss. To stare at the creature was mind boggling, it absorbed all light around it. There were no shadows where it stood, no light piercing it. Where it stood looked like it had been cut out of the environment around it. As though something was… Blocking reality.

“I mostly serve my masters in an advisory role, guiding you through the dark arts as a tutor. Though that is not all I can do. I am a creature of chaos, I can sow destruction and let you reap the rewards from your enemies, I am quick and quiet, I can sense life for miles around if need be. I prefer not to tangle with creatures of the light, I am like a moth near the flame, I can cast a long shadow, but even the weakest torch can snuff me out. I am surprised you Cobbolds are interested in demon summoning it is a dangerous thing, any part of it wrong and you would have been my offering” it held up it’s claws menacingly, though it was difficult to be scared of the creature, it only coming waist high on an already diminutive Cobbold. “Anyways let's get started, I’m hungry, where is the cafeteria around here.”

• New Advisor “Ceres”
  • New stratagem “Sow Chaos”
  • New stratagem “Demon Scouting”

Faust, Chungus, Carrick, Babold, Walsh 343 vs Summon Lesser Demon: 5d100+25 248

Syd, Tyne, Cobb, and 1 other Cobbold decided to go talk to the orcs. It was easy enough following Syd’s directions, who had been there once before. It was early in the morning when they reached the camp, and most of the orcs were still sleeping, the leader P’ark was awake, He was trying to lash a broken axe head together. The rest were sleeping on stuffed leather bags, P’ark grabbed his broken axea and held it aloft as the Cobbolds approached, “Show yourself,” he said loudly, rousing the other orcs, who grabbed broken sticks and sharpened chunks of metal. They looked tired, but alert. Syd was the first one to break into the clearing, he held his claws up and moved slowly, purposefully, approaching P’ark.

“Moonlings!” P’ark said with a smile, “Hello there,” his voice went from a harsh bark to a gentle cooing, and reached down and pulled out a piece of hardtack, offering it up gently, “I’ve heard your kind were around here, but I never thought I’d see one myself. Come here little one.” He held out the hardtack.

It was… Rather insulting to say the least. Still he wasn’t trying to attack, and seemed willing to talk it out, The faceless cobbold with the group scoffed, “We are not tiny creatures to be cooed at, Orc. We’re sapient, just like you.” P’ark looked shocked for a minute but recovered fast enough given the situation. “Well, we need our tools repaired Moonling,” he said standing up straight, taking a bite out of his hard tack, “Food and lodgings would be nice too. Would you happen to know somewhere these things can happen?”

Syd, Tyne, and Cobb had a decision to make, would they lead the Orc Leader back to Ho’lm, or would they try to negotiate there at the Orc’s

• New Advisor “P’ark”

Syd, Tyne, Cobb, 1 Faceless Faceless Parley: 1d100+167 246 vs Parley with Orcs: 3d100 74

Yip started to dig merrily, making a little hiding spot for Mother Magdalene, sadly, as he pushed stone and carved out his hiding spot, he couldn't hear Mother Magdalene, who had awoken with something to say. She was unconscious when Yip got back from his work, and he moved her deeper into the cavern.

Hiding Mother Magdalene: 1d100+8+10 = 62 vs Guarding Mother Magdalene: 1d100 74

Player Vote Syd, Tyne, Cobb Majority wins:

Lead the orcs back to Ho’lm?
Negotiate at the orcs camp?

Ho’lm Vote:

A.) Take another downtime. The humans are a days march away as long as they’re on foot (Cobbolds can walk this distance in half a day or if they full on sprint, can reach there in a couple of hours.) There’s a chance you could spend more time to prepare for the next siege, as long as no-one else is in the area to attack you. You have parlayed with the Orcs, and they are agreeable to helping you, you just have to hammer out the details of the deal in this next Horde Vote Phase. You will be at a disadvantage if the humans reach you during your down time.

B.) Siege the humans, you can together gather up all of your forces and march on the humans. This will start a strategy phase, in which you divide your forces and try your best to burn their lovely horrific little town to the ground. The humans will be at a disadvantage if you meet them on their way to camp

C.) Prepare defences, you take watch and instead of taking down time to improve the warren and heal, you work together to create a slew of defenses so that if the humans do siege with you, they’ll walk into a pile of traps and creations. This will also start a strategy phase. You can take another crack at Mother Magdalene’s home, cast another ritual, or possibly find new strategies

D.) This could be a cunning plan, or maybe just a clarification on rules. Whatever it is, if it changes or is something instead of the first 3, it’ll go here.

Current Advisors:
P’ark, leader of a mercenary band of Orcs. Clever, strong, and seemingly kind to cobbolds. +25 to combat actions

Ceres, a lesser demon summoned by the Cobbolds. Snarky, Arcane, and willing to help teach the Cobbolds new possible magics. +25 to magic actions

What are Advisors?
Advisors are people you can ask to help around the camp. They may have special stats they bring with them, or expose new possible strategies, at any time during the game, as long as they are around at least 1 faceless Cobbold (Or yourself of course,) you can ask them any question. Through the power of Ho’lm you will know what was said, and can ask more. You can even have conversations via the faceless cobbolds if need be.

Make good use of your survivors, the questions and deals you make now, could very well spell victory or defeat in the next strategy phase.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 11, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hyde

Memory: Organization
Satiation: 9 -> 10

Hyde, when he returned, heard about the new demon summoned. He dashed to the ritual room first, to speak with this ally.

"Ceres. My name is Hyde, and... allow me to explain our situation."

"We were housed by a witch named Magdalene. It is thanks to her magical knowledge that you were brought here. Do you know of her? Has she summoned your, or your colleagues or superiors?" Hyde paused as he waited for the answer, then began to speak again.

"As a pure, panther-type Cobbold, I would request a spell or ritual that would allow us to gain... the powers and strengths of our animals. A bull's strength. A wolf's cunning. A panther's stealth. A spider's poison. The gifts of the natural world that evade us. Please, lend us your power, so that we may make a powerful siege on our foes!"

I'm voting B, fyi.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Junpei posted:

"We were housed by a witch named Magdalene. It is thanks to her magical knowledge that you were brought here. Do you know of her? Has she summoned your, or your colleagues or superiors?" Hyde paused as he waited for the answer, then began to speak again.

"That old biddy outgrew the use of small demons like me eons ago. A powerful witch has more knowledge in their grimoire then a thousand lesser demons. Still I remember a time when she was young, and I was useful."

Junpei posted:

"As a pure, panther-type Cobbold, I would request a spell or ritual that would allow us to gain... the powers and strengths of our animals. A bull's strength. A wolf's cunning. A panther's stealth. A spider's poison. The gifts of the natural world that evade us. Please, lend us your power, so that we may make a powerful siege on our foes!"

"Sounds like you want the fog to be honest, it'll drive your lot into an insatiable blood lust, and as a bonus clouds the sight of your enemies. It's something powerful you can queue up for later. Very useful."

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Yip

Memory: Hiding
Satiation: 9->10
Bile: 1

Yip is so very small, only the mightiest of defences would let him feel safe. So when it came time to vote, he voted for C.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

HP 3/5
Satiation: 8 > 9
Bile: 2

Bold is the 'bold that goes out boldly

Slaan fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 11, 2020

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Name: Chungus
Memory: Lifting
Satiation: 2 > 3

"WHAT'S THIS? We know where the humans are at this very point in time, AND we have advanced reconnaissance of their location with tactical assistance from the Orcs and magical assistance from our new demon friend?"

"Sounds like it's time to go LIFT them of all of their belongings and also dunk on them most righteously! Or later?"

"Maybe later"

Chungus will vote for A

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 11, 2020

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Cobb
Memory: Cobbling
Satiation: 5 -> 6

Cobb stood behind Syd, giving them moral support as they led the negotiations with P'ark. When it became time to discuss where further negotiations would be held, the Cobbolds went into a mini-huddle. Cobb said, "It's a tricky one. If we take the orcs home, they'll see the truth of our situation, and much of our possible leverage would be lost. On the other hand, if they're there when the humans attack, they'll have to fight in self-defence, which would help us. Whereas, if we negotiate here, well, I dunno about you but I'm secretly bad at haggling. So my vote's for bringing the orcs back with us to negotiate further."

Ho'lm vote: C. Avoid conflict for as long as possible.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Name: Carrick
Memory: Audacity (Recharge)
Satiation: 11 > 12
Bile: 1

Carrick favoured strong defences to meet the humans, and had an idea brewing for an audacious plan to attack the village under the next blood moon.

C.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Babold
Memory: Charging (used)
Satiation: 9 -> 10

Though sorely tempted to sally forth, Babold had already said his piece. They would wait here and charge from ambush.

Babold votes for C.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Name: Sadie
Memory: Recklessness
Satiation: 11 > 12
Bile: 2 > 3

For once, I was feeling a little good about things. I mean, I managed to lay out traps, and Vek, the actual trap guy, thought I was doing an alright job. That's pretty good. That's better than I'd done in a long time. It was nice to know nothing went wrong. Things were chaotic now, so less things going wrong was bad.

At first, I didn't really have any opinions when the Hol'm residents were asking what we wanted to do with our times. But my mind kept going to Magdalene and I was getting worried about her health, so I actually forced myself to speak up. "G...guys... I think we uh. I think we should take some time, and expand Hol'm." But war was coming, obviously, I felt dumb as I tried to talk to a few people, "I-I mean, I really think we should uhm. We should make a hospital for Magdalene. I mean. And for the rest of us, in case more people get hurt."

I hated being the center of attention in a social situation. "I mean, Magdalene used her magic to protect us, and now she's collapsed. W...we should be helping her... A hospital w-will probably be good for that...?"

In case it's not clear, I'm voting A.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Cobbold #39 posted:

HP----------= 4/5
Satiation-= 09 > 10
Bile---------= 1
Memories--:

-Furious Trance [Ready to go!]
--"...Focus. Aim. Strike. Repeat. Again. Again. You are angry at me, yes? Good. Take your anger, aim, strike."
-- *crack*
--"There. Progress. The world is full of horrors, and there are far worse things you will face out there than my training. Now keep your anger heated and practice on the air while someone finds you a replacement dummy."

Special:

--"Courtesy of a certain mission to decommission. Somehow you know using this will come back to haunt you."

"Uh-huh. Demon."
"So you do any possessions lately?..."
"Dunno if anyone around is here is suitable for a mutually beneficial one, but there's more than a few, uh."

#39 taps a drooling, unnamed cobbold on the head.

"Vacancies."
"Probably would be fine if they ever come to their senses after the fact."

-----

C. "We had our chance to rest and spent it on preparing. Since nobody came then, we may as well keep preparing."

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Health: 3/5 HP
Memory: Trapping (cooling)
Items: Pitchfork (+1)
Satiation: 11 -> 12
Bile: 0 -> 1

"What'ss dis then?" Vek snarled, stepping into the ritual room. "Thiss what my Bile summonsed?"

He poked at the shadow with a probing claw.

"Demon," Vek spat. "What can make Hol'm traps catch humans better?"

"I work traps. Much traps, all about Hol'm, hah hah! You will see, Demon. You will help me find... blind spots. Only the shadows know what hides in the darkness!"

> Voting A! (We NEED to build a Workshop to deal with the Orcs, everybody!)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Ceres jumped into Vek's shadow, his lone eye peering out of it, "Well the best trap," he said jovially, "Is the trap that deters, I would recommend setting traps up that humans can see, to funnel them into places where the deadliest things lay. I could help out with that."

New Stratagem: More Traps? Too many traps maybe.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Name: Faust
Satiation: 7 > 8
Bile: 0 > 1
Memories: Occultism (cooldown)
HP 5/5
Bonuses:
+5 to Ritual Room

Faust was merely looking on as the rest of the kobolds pestered the demon with various inane questions. Eventually, he spoke up himself.

"Waxer", he addressed it, "Hidden-Face and Darkthing", he added a few needed titular descriptors, "Speak to me of the Moon that hides."

"Speak to me of the realm of the Dark."

"Speak to me of the place from where the blood of Cobbolds seeps to adorn the face of our Mother."

"Teach me a secret of the arcane reality only closed eyes can see."

Voting A

Theantero fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 11, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Theantero posted:

Name: Faust
"Waxer", he addressed it, "Hidden-Face and Darkthing", he added a few needed titular descriptors, "Speak to me of the Moon that hides."

"Speak to me of the realm of the Dark."

"Speak to me of the place from where the blood of Cobbolds seeps to adorn the face of our Mother."

"Teach me a secret of the arcane reality only closed eyes can see."

"Oh I'll teach you lots of nifty things, don't you worry, but I want something in return." He rubs his hand over Fausts stomach, "I want satiation. I want those tiny stones, give those to me and I'll show you all sorts of things."

New Ritual: Expand Ceres' Power
New Ritual: Expand Ceres' Range

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Current vote count Including the below:

A:8
B:3
C:5

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 14, 2020

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Name: Sproggle
Memory: Painting
Satiation: 7->8
Bile: 2->3
Affinities: Ritual Room +5

The clearing was beautiful! Yes, yes, there was the evil tree trying to kill them, but the reds! To think Sproggle had been satisfied with his old, dusty reds! There were reds of every shade and hue here! The lichen, the berries, the mushrooms, the blood-red sap that came from the vines as they were severed, and continued to wriggle in his hands! Such a study in a single color! Sproggle would return, yes-yes, and he would see it painted properly. From a safe spot. Safe, sheltered, secured. For now, though, the vine he'd pulled off needed to come with him to Hol'm. It would make fine pigments, yes-yes.

There was arguing at Hol'm. Always the arguments, disagreements, debates. This time it was about what people should be doing. Not everyone understood how good it was to just be painting! Painting did not always keep away humans, but that was usually working out anyways. But then Sadie spoke up. Friend Sadie, always nice, good with traps, good at cutting murder vines. She was speaking up!

"Sproggle agrees with Sadie, yes-yes! Hospital for Mother, white painted walls, bright red stripes!"

Vote: A

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Slaan posted:

HP 3/5
Satiation: 8 > 9

Bold is the 'bold that goes out boldly

Amelie saw where the winds were blowing with her keen journalist senses. Any good reporter knows the key to keeping their job is to follow the party line. And the party line was headed towards A, not B.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Basher

Memory: Breaking Things (Not In Use)
Satiation: 3 -> 4

Basher figured there was still time to do stuff at Holm. A

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Tine
Hp: 4/5 ; Satiation: 7>8 ; Bile: 1 ; Memories: Leather-working(cooling)

"Well obviously we take the fight to them, if we can put them on the defensive then we can take a break while they're cowering in their hovels, get the workshop built up".

Vote B

"While we're doing that, the orcs could relax back at the Holm, we show them we mean business with the humans, gain some respect. If they see us constructing the workshop they can get in on what we start on. I'm guessing big workbenches where big orc weapons can be smashed out, but they might have other needs.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Radican

Memory: Itching (cooling down)
Satiation: 8 -> 9

A trowel would be nice. So would pruning shears or a sickle or something. Radican scratches her leg, then checks her claws. They're filthy.

Yeah, a back scratcher would probably be good to have, too.

Vote A

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The orcs struck their tents, and more formally introduced themselves, there were 4 tents, and 5 orcs, “My name is P’ark” The largest said, he wore simple metal armor that was lashed together with rivets and leather. His skin was a bright green, and seemed to almost fluoresce in the sunlight, as though he were scaled. Behind him he pointed at a large orc with a scar over his left eye, the eye itself glassy and dead, his horns were curled and he was hairless like P’ark. “That’s Jotun” pronounced Yo-tune, “Behind him, are Arne and Frode,” pronounced FrOOduh, These orcs didn’t have horns, but full heads of hair, it was a shiny and black pulled into a ponytail on Arne. He had a sword strapped to his hip, but the handle fell off while he reached over to put the tent onto the back of one of the wolves. Meanwhile Frode's hair was cut trim and short. All 3 of them wore metal armor like P’ark, and worked in it. Arne’s armor was barely hanging off of him, one of the straps had come undone, it clanked uselessly as it pulled to the left. Frode had no weapons or armor on him, and Syd remembered him as the Orc who was struck the night before. “And finally, we have the lovers Liv and Leif.” He made kissy noises as he rolled his eyes, in the back two orcs worked together to strike a single tent. Liv was an Orc woman, she was almost 9 feet tall, and had a wide chest, she wore leather armor, and had a bandolier of throwing axes strapped to her. Leif, her partner had no apparent armor on, instead he wore a cloth tunic. Strapped to his back was a giant axe, nearly as large as he was.

The wolves they rode had deep black coats, and were nearly as large as a horse, they stood nearly 5 feet / a meter and a half off the ground, and were long nearly 8 feet / two and a half meters. These creatures were stunningly large, and each of their paws. P’ark walked over to one of the wolves and offered it an… Arm of some sort, it looked humanoid, and a dark purple, the wolf snapped it down greedily and gave P’ark a lick on the chin. The Orcs offered to let the Cobbolds ride along, but they refused. P’ark seemed a little confused, “Are you sure it would be much faster if we rode.”

The cobbolds merely yipped, and began to walk, the wolves kept pace, so the Cobbolds moved a little bit faster, which caused the wolves in turn to move faster. Soon enough the cobbolds were moving at a full blistering sprint, the Orcs laughed as their beasts struggled to keep up, just minutes off of their heels, all of them crashing loudly through the forest. It felt good to run, it was something that came natural to cobbolds like crafting, eating, or breathing. Breathe in, breathe out, the pounding of hand and foot on the ground, the feeling of dirt being compacted and kicked up by their claws, the smell of fresh air as it whipped past their face. P’ark called out to the orcs, “A song then lads?” Liv pulled out a bagpipe. P’ark and the rest started singing.

Sing for the lost, for eternal affairs
Sing to raise our spirits in great despair
Through the ashes of oblivion
Quick and unseen like the dragon's offspring
For we owe no debts and bow to no king
Every war has its costs and we've paid
Won by the bond of the party we've made

Warn with a call that the battle starts now
As the demons listen we strike them down
Fighting back the rifts of blood
Sent from the sky lies a angel in need
Give him muse to strengthen and words to heed
Heaven's doused and set alight
We're knocking on the gates of hell tonight

Broken swords and dragon's bones
Scattered on the way back home
Beating to the sound of clashing steel
When they're on our heels
Now chant the tales and legends told
Strengthened by the hymns of old
Weathered as this winding road is long
So we sing our traveler's song

Play out a spell in your sequence of chords
To inspire and sharpen our rusted swords
Echoing the whisper of the trees
Creep 'long a path where a thousand bards failed
From the thick West Tyrian jungle trails
Come from afar to set prisoners free
Into dark tangled depths from the open sea

The music seemed to wrap around the Cobbolds, it reached into their hearts, and with every beat, it kept with the rhythm of the music. They bounded faster and faster, the wolves tongues happily lolling out of their face seemingly to lap up the thin air.

------

Mother Magdalene had taken a turn for the worst, whatever magic well she had reached into for the battle, it was too much for her, she had turned a deep pale and had continued a cycle of waking up to eat as much as possible, then falling into a great stupor until the next time she awoke to continue the cycle. Blood still poured from her eyes. Yip was the only one who knew where she was, though he dutifully relayed her condition to the others. A few of the cobbolds had asked Ceres about it, and he merely smiled, his mouth seemingly holding an infinite amount of teeth, “Hey man you had a choice, either she lives or she dies, but either way you will live on and I’ll be here for you. If you really cared for her you would have built her a room where she could rest instead of these gross cots you all sleep on. Instead you searched for more power. There are no healing rituals in my grimoire beasties, if you want her to have a better place to heal and rest maybe build some sort of medic room? A hospital maybe? But what do I know, now then Faust, and anyone else interested in rituals follow me. It’s time for a lesson”

Ceres was pointing out some new upgrades that would be possible for both the demon and the ritual room. He had taken a liking to Fuast who, while talked in random synonyms and adjectives, had a head for the darkness and a passion that couldn’t be quenched. “So you see, the Dais is like a star in the constellation, it must both be random, but also able to discern certain patterns, the Orb is like the north star, where all things point too. So if we place more dai-” He whipped his head up, and sniffed the air, “Something’s coming.” His form shifted from that of a standing beast to an octopus with a giant eye on the bulbous part, his tentacles reaching out behind him like a tail, it whipped around him while he moved faster and faster, a small contingent of Cobbolds followed him, when he hit the edge of the cave he flew into the sky, imperceptibly small, he looked around and saw them. He ran back inside, “We have guests, good thing the old bag is hidden, we don’t want to come off too weak. Even though this is the most pathetic warren I have ever personally been summoned too. Someone seems to have their priorities right.” He said with a chuckle that sent shivers up the others spines.

The Orcs were brought to the small warren, and showed around, it didn’t take long. The Orcs were… crestfallen to say the least when they realized that the Cobbolds had no tools, no workshop, and that they lived in a hole in the ground that could barely fit all of them. Ceres hid himself away in the ritual room not wanting to scare the orcs off, or worse anger them in some way. It would be a fairly bloody fight if the Cobbolds, Orcs, and Worgs were to fight each other.

The Cobbolds insisted they could help the orcs with their weapons and armor, that it would be easy in fact, even without a workshop, but if they waited a little bit they could get a workshop up in the next day or so. The Orcs pointed out if they had no weapons, they would be unable to help in any battle, and would need to leave as soon as possible. Liv sniffed the air, and whispered into P’ark’s ear, who looked around, “Do not take this the wrong way Moonlings, but there is a demon in your mist. Is this purposeful?” He looked extremely concerned, and the Cobbolds didn’t quite know how to answer. Ceres quickly introduced himself, “No need to worry, no need for concern, they invited me here. I’m helping them get on their feet and get started in the Dark Arts, I’m sure plenty of a ritualist exist in the lands you come from.”

P’ark surveyed the creature, and merely shrugged, “I like to know what I’m getting into as soon as possible.”

Ceres quickly tried to smooth things over, “Right well of course, let’s look at what needs to be done shall we?”

Advisors
  • P’ark, leader of a mercenary band of Orcs. Clever, strong, and seemingly kind to cobbolds. +25 to combat actions

• Ceres, a lesser demon summoned by the Cobbolds. Snarky, Arcane, and willing to help teach the Cobbolds new possible magics. +25 to magic actions

Stratagems:

Healing
Cooking, Healing or Entertainment Memories can be used for a +10 bonus to restore HP. Healing is a Conflict between the healers and the wounded - their combined roll is rolled against d100 rolls representing the wounded. Success heals each wounded by 1 HP - and each 100 over heals an additional HP. Healing can only be performed in downtime while making camp. In situations in which SOME healing is possible, you’ll be provided a Closed Conflict - only enough time or resources to partially fix the wounded! The wounded never needs to roll themselves (I’ll do that).

• Damaged: Vek 2, Amelie 2, Radican 1, Sadie 1, Needles 1, #39 1, and Mother Magdalene ??? have all taken damage and need medical attention, for a total of 9d100

Scouting
The scout action can be used during down time to provide for the warren. Soldiers with stealth, trapping, scouting, cooking, hunting, foraging or similar type memories will get a plus 10. Each person scouting rolls a 1d100 based on their roll; they either have success or failure. 00 - 75 you find something that hurts you. This can be an animal, a person, or even just falling out of a tree, whatever happened you failed your check. 76 - 85 you find food, everyone in the warren gains +1 Satiation due to your excellent hunting skills 86 - 95 You find something useful, this will generally be an item of some sort, or a cache of items though sometimes it can lead to special events, or even new strategies. 96+ This will find you a high quality item, a lot of low quality items, or even possibly some magic (which is basically an item that costs satiation to use, but has huge effects.) This can also unlock Epic Strategies depending on when and where you are in the story when you find it. a natural 100 is considered a critical success, you will find something awesome. If you roll this message me on discord so we can chat about what you found. You have some say in this!

Downtime Activities

• Fix The Orcs Weapons Difficulty 5 (+50)

• Fix The Orcs Armor Difficulty 5 (+50)

• Entertain P’ark for Elf Meats Difficulty 5 those who participate receive 1 of the following memories: Playing my first recital, When mother taught me to hunt, Catching fireflies with Father, My Honeymoon, Locked in the closet, When I killed my neighbor’s wife.

• Learn Orc Trade Songs Difficulty 3 Liv and Leif are offering to teach us trade songs Orcs use to find each other. It would be beneficial to know how to locate other Orcs.

Rituals
  • Sow Chaos - Ceres uses your worship and goes out and causes a panic among creatures and beings in the forest - Difficulty 6 Satiation 6 (Adds specials stratagems to the next encounter)

• Demon Scouting - Ceres goes to his maximum range all around the warren and scouts for anything he can find - Difficulty 10 Satiation 10 (Will know how far away the enemy is, if they’re within Ceres Range)

• Summon a fog - Difficulty 3 Satiation 5 (adds +100 to combat encounters in the fog.)

• Cobbold’s Blessing - (+10 to all actions until the next Downtime) Difficulty 3 Satiation 7 Threat 3

• Expand Ceres' Power - Ceres is vague what this means, but insists it will be good for the ritual room - Difficulty 5 Satiation 5 Threat 3

• Expand Ceres' Range Increases the range that Ceres can interact with from the Warren, would include Magdalene’s Cabin in 2 upgrades - Difficulty 5 Satation 5 Threat 1

Expansions:

When Expanding the warren, you get a permanent bonus based on the following: You get a +1 for a 0 - 20% contribution, a +5 for a 21 - 60% contribution, and a +10 for >=62% You will get a bonus based on your highest contribution whether that be a percentage of the satiation cost, or your action being used on it.

• Expand the Warren (Hospital) - Difficulty 18 Threat 2 Satiation 9
    “We need a place to tend to our sick and wounded, we should be careful though, digging is dangerous.”

• Upgrade the Warren (Ritual Room) - Difficulty 30 Threat 5 Satiation 40
    “Ceres whispers into our ears about how much power we could obtain if we expanded on the ritual room. He says we could even summon a greater demon, or feed him until he becomes one.”

• Expand the Warren (Workshop) - Difficulty 5 Threat 2 Satiation 0
    “We could build a workshop so that you may use your satiation to craft weapons and items of your choice.”
What else do you want to do?
“There may be other pressing matters on your mind, come up with strategies to take the village, or maybe you have an idea for a better way to expand the warren, the world is your oyster.”

Don’t forget what you’ve done so far! posted:

New Siege Stratagem: More Traps? Too many traps maybe.
New 1x Bonus “+200 poisoned claws” Can use one time during a combat
New Siege Stratagem “Sabotage the Supplies”
Hyper Leaf - Cobbold Stimulant, gives +75 bonus on first roll, and a -50 malus on the next 2 after that each Cobbold chooses when they take the stimulant. Each Cobbold has one use.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 7, 2020

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Cobbold #39 posted:

HP----------= 4/5
Satiation-= 10 > 11 > 7
Bile---------= 1 > 2 > 0
Memories--:

-Furious Trance [Ready to go!] [Being used this turn!]
-- *crack*

Special:

#39 took a look.
The situation was-

Wounded Cobbolds posted:

Damaged: Vek 2, Amelie 2, Radican 1, Sadie 1, Needles 1, #39 1, and Mother Magdalene ??? have all taken damage and need medical attention, for a total of 9d100

...Not good.
Something in #39 stirred.
All these injuries, all these wounds from bad luck or carelessness.
Oh, it was enough to make #39 mad, angry, furious even!
How did they expect to win against the humans like this, when they were fumbling in this manner from the moment Magdalene had #39 and the rest of the cobbolds fend for themselves!
The fury brought the hints of something more lingering on the edge- but no!
Whatever was yet locked away would remain so; for now the only "medical" knowledge #39 possessed was the rythm to beat to and the rage to provide force!

Dig! Dig! Dig a new hospital with your own two hands!

"GrrrrraaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-"

#39 enters a [Furious Trance], hyping themselves up to [Expand the Warren (Hospital): 1d100+7 87 97, including Furious Trance use
(Spending 2 Bile + 4 Satiation, hospital at 6/9 Satiation+Bile)

It was as if the very earth itself retreated before #39's claws; afraid of being torn asunder, scattered as so much debris in a trail of dirt clods and small stones flew every which way.

But it would not be enough, more cobbolds would be needed; to place supports behind #39 if nothing else.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 14, 2020

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Name: Chungus
Memory: Lifting (Using)
Satiation: 3 > 4

"WHAT'S THIS? A construction project to build a hospital in a great and tidy home?"

"Sounds like so much heavy LIFTING needs to be done! Here I go!"

Chungus attempts to assist the hospital expansion with his Lifting, 1d100+14 = 26

Chungus is trying really hard you guys it's not his fault he hasn't rolled above a 20 this game so far.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Name: Carrick
Memory: Audacity (Using)
Satiation: 12 > 13
Bile: 1 > 2 > 0

Carrick threw his efforts into getting the hospital up and ready, bile surging in a froth as he darted bravely in between the savagery of his fellow Cobbolds and their labours with split-second timing. Carving out a fully-forged hospital in such a short space of time was truly an audacious endeavour, and his bear arm made for an excellent shovel.

Contributing 2 Bile to the hospital, hospital is at 8/9 satiation, 22% contribution made.

Audaciously assemble an aid area: 1d100+23 70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Memory: Yellow Journalism (CD)
HP 3/5
Satiation: 10 > 11
Items: Bear Claw+1

Amelie was getting tired of handmaking the Wrambler. Sure, her memory made it easy to use wood blocks for a professional looking paper, but machinery could let her turn out more than a couple copies a day. Imagine a full 20 page paper with two editions, daily! That would be glorious and satiating indeed.

She took up her bear claws and started digging a new room for the workshop

Build workshop with claws: 1d100+1+10 38