Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Name: Vek
Sex: Male
Health: 5/5 HP
Memory: Trapping (using)
Satiation: 0 -> 1+1 -> 2

Vek was a hunter, a trapper, and a furrier back in the before-times; back before he ever became a Cobbold.

He'd been out too late on a hunting foray under the full moon and he'd been caught out in the open when the red eclipse filled the sky. He'd transformed, then. With a beaked mouth, cat's eyes, curly horns and spiny scales, Vek was hardly human any more.

There were months of blood and carnage and running on desperation that followed, until primal instinct alone brought Vek to Magdalene and the other homeless Cobbolds. Together they had started building a new den together, underground.

On the night of the presumed attack, the warren was abuzz with preparatory Cobbold activity. Vek snuck outside the perimeter and checked that all their traps were in good working order. The traps were his duty, after all.

> Trapping to check on the horde's traps: 1d100+10 75
> Warren Name Vote: Home + Hole = "Hol'm"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Memory: Trapping (cooling)
Satiation: 2 -> 1+1(artwork) -> 4

From his spot hiding in the woods, Vek had seen Magdalene do... something - he wasn't sure what - and then a dark purple miasma had filled the area around Hol'm's matron, a magical mist that cleansed the forest of the invaders as well as the bodies they'd left behind, leaving nary a trace behind. Sweet success!

The Hol'mkin Cobbolds yipped and howled and clacked their beaks and gnashed their mandibles in mirthful celebration, Vek included. They had routed the enemy!

While some of the other Cobbolds helped Magdalene inside to rest and heal her injuries, Vek broke out across the woods to check on all the various traps the villains had tripped.

> Scouting: 1d100+2 53 - Satiation for all (wait for GM)!

All the activated traps were empty, of course, due to the effects of ... whatever it was that Magdalene had done. Vek was traversing one of the warren's spike trenches when he heard the twang of a snare trap going off nearby and something large scream as it was lifted bodily up into the air by a rope snared around one of its limbs.

The Cobbold warily approached the struggling, startled creature suspended upside down in the air, and breathed a sigh of relief when he realized what it was.

It wasn't a human or predator in the snare, it was a chufty deert that must have been spooked by the magic fog from earlier. Vek found a suitably heavy rock and quickly turned the deert from a grass-eating animal into food with a couple brutal blows to its head. He yipped a couple Cobbold shouts to get some help with dragging the creature's hefty corpse over to the warren's kitchens.

When that exciting task was done, Vek wandered back out into Hol'm's trapped perimeter with his trap-making tools in hand. He had a pretty good idea of what it was he had to do...

> Set Traps Where (1=Enemy 2=Hol'm): 1d2 1 - Setting Traps in Enemy Village!
> Set Traps: 1d100+2 80

Approaching the enemy village with his appropriated traps ready for set up, Vek couldn't help but notice that he could smell some of his fellow Hol'mkin Cobbolds in the area...

Good, only... Vek hoped that the other Cobbolds would at least give him enough time to set up some nasty surprises for the villagers before the alarm was raised.

Just as he finished prizing open a wooden spike bear trap underneath someone's front door, Vek heard the blood-curdling sound of a dog barking in the middle of the night. Curses!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
:siren: Heads Up! :siren:

The OP changed the rules for Downtimes after some discussion in the Discord. Here's the main breakdown of Downtime:

You can take up to two Actions during Downtime. This can be anything from Healing, Scouting, Cooking, Entertaining, or any of the listed Downtime Options.

As usual, posting for your character after the OP updates the story is worth +1 Satiation.

As usual, posting artwork (or Stories, during Downtime) is worth +1 Satiation.

As usual, the maximum Satiation you can get per update from posting is +2 Satiation.

You do not get +2 Satiation for taking 2 Downtime actions. You need to tell a story or post artwork to get that second Satiation point!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Health: 3/5 HP
Memory: Trapping
Satiation: 9 -> 10
Bile: 0 -> 1

The horrid times in the humetown had gotten rather scary, yep yep! Vek had the buckshot wound scabbing over in in his hide to remember it by.

Vek had been doing so well setting up traps, too, but there had been either too many Cobbolds invading the town at once or not enough Cobbolds helping to sabotage the town, it was hard to tell. Saand certainly wasn't coming back, from the look of things...

The humans were coming, Vek knew, and he yipped as much to anyone who would but ask. The humes had been angry enough while chasing after him and the others that he knew they couldn't be too far behind.

Growling with discomfort, Vek lurched to his feet from the hospital bed and laid claim to one of the pitchforks some of the other Cobbolds had salvaged and, leaning on it, he suggested that the Horde focus on building more traps around Hol'm. That's what he was going to do, anyway, no matter how the horde's votes shook out.

Claim Pitchfork: 1d100+9 89 80

> Horde Vote: C

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 7, 2020

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Items: Pitchfork (+1)
Satiation: 10 -> 11
Bile: 1 -> 2 -> 0

Magdalene was sleeping again, and so soon? She needed her magic sleep, after all! That made sense. While Magdalene slept, then, everyone in Hol'm should be working hard to make sure the warren stayed safe! The humans were coming, after all...

Grabbing his own personal trap-poking stick-fork-thing, Vek set off for Hol'm's heavily trapped perimeter with his sack of tools. He knew the lay of the land here like the back of his paw - every trap was one he knew how to set back up and hide after it had been set off.

Ramshackle bear traps were prized open, hardwood stakes were stuck in the earth, pulley ropes were secured, knots were tightened, spike pits were covered in nets and leaves, and noisemakers on drawstrings were laid out for the humans to trip over and sound the alarm.

As he worked, Vek's memories of his past life as a trapper in the distant woods blazed hot and bright in his thick Cobbold skull. He worked dutifully on setting up Hol'm's spread of traps as though the task came second nature to him.

> Contributing 2 Bile towards the Ritual.
> Working on Updating Hol'm's Trap Perimeter: 1d100+21 121 - :siren: Natural 100! :siren: (forgot +1 from Pitchfork)

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Satiation: 11
Bile: 0

Vek suddenly snapped to attention in the midst of his trap-setting duties when he saw some movement in the corner of his vision.

"Hrrng?" the Cobbold grunted with a start, before audibly relaxing. "Oh, s'juss you, Sadie."

It was another one of the Cobbolds from Hol'm, the reckless one with the dewy eyes. She was waving at him.

"Wass wonderin' what those loud snappies were," he managed, conversationally.

"Hope I'm not making a mess of your traps." Sadie said, quite amicably. "Don't worry, I'll set 'em back up. And I'll make sure I'm the only one who gets hurt if it goes wrong."

Vek grinned, grunted, nodded, and pumped a fist to say 'good work' to Sadie, then he shrugged and got back to the task of rummaging through his tool sack for some makeshift caltrops that had spilled from their pouch.

He knew how it was: sometimes you had to trip a trap yourself to get a good idea how it worked and how to make it even better. Learning helps Hol'm! This was good.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Memory: Trapping (cooling)
Satiation: 11 -> 12

"What'ss dis then?" Vek snarled, stepping into the ritual room. "Thiss what my Bile summonsed?"

He poked at the shadow with a probing claw.

"Demon," Vek spat. "What can make Hol'm traps catch humans better?"

"I work traps. Much traps, all about Hol'm, hah hah! You will see, Demon. You will help me find... blind spots. Only the shadows know what hides in the darkness!"

> Voting A! (We NEED to build a Workshop to deal with the Orcs, everybody!)

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Satiation: 12 -> 13
Bile: 1 -> 2

Vek had come out to the forests to meet with the Orc contingent when the Orcs' outriders had first visited the area. Since the trap-making Cobbold was in charge of Hol'm's heavily-trapped perimeter, it was important that Vek be present in the Cobbold-Orc meeting to instruct the Orcs in how to bypass Hol'm's current defensive setup.

It was while he was on this peacemaking mission that Vek first met with the Orc leader, P'ark. He was very tall, very wide, very wise, and very green, and he had a deep, guttural laugh that Vek liked to hear, because whenever he heard that laugh it meant to Vek that the Orcs weren't going to suddenly kill them all over nothing... That was when Vek decided that he would stay with the small team of Cobbolds whose sole responsibility was keeping P'ark entertained for the evening.

Later in the night, P'ark was drinking and eating elfmeats with his must trusted lieutenants and listening to Vek spin a hilarious story from wholecloth.

"- And see," Vek continued, "that's when - my neighbor - well he turn to me and he say, 'That not a bear in trap, that my wife!'"

:hek:

> Entertain P’ark for Elf Meats: 1d100+10+12+1 110
> Laying claim to 'When I killed my neighbor's wife' memory, or else calling 'dibs'.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Health: 3 -> 4/5 HP
Memory: Trapping (cooling), When I killed my neighbor's wife (ready)
Satiation: 13 -> 14
Bile: 2 -> 1 -> 2

One of P'ark's lieutenants, Liv, had tossed Vek a haunch of curious meat from the orcs' food stores, and Vek - being both hungry and not wanting to be a rude host - tucked right in.

The bird-beaked Cobbold took the meat and some Bile and went out to the woods by himself to eat.

Something strange happened as Vek ate the bizarre flesh. Vek was suddenly overcome with the powers of his Memory, but something was distinctly different.

The jokey story Vek had told the orcs just moments before - the one about his neighbor's wife stuck in a bear trap - it wasn't just a joke. It was real... only... it was from back in the before-times, long before Vek ever became a Cobbold and shed his old name.

His mind swam as details of his Memory came flooding into his mind from the contact with the elfmeat. A bear had been getting into his locked work shed and destroying all the furs, so he'd set up a trap laced with poisons to knock the bear out so he could finish it off when it came back next time. In the middle of the night, he'd been roused by a horrible noise of something large growling and moaning in anguish. He'd grabbed his crossbow and fired it upon the rabid creature when it charged at him. What he hadn't expected was that - once he'd gotten a torch and investigated the scene of his with the rest of his curious neighborhood - he hadn't shot and killed a bear, he'd shot a neighbor's wife who'd been turned into a roaring maniac by a poisoned bear trap.

According to the town council, the woman had been caught in the middle of trying to destroy his pelts, and so they had declined to sentence human-Vek to exile, but he was ostracized by most of the civil townspeople afterward anyway. It was partially due to this perceived ostracization by his neighbors that human-Vek was out in the wilderness during the Blood Moon in the first place.

Vek stuffed his gob with meat and Bile and pondered the meaning of all this.

When another Cobbold came by and asked Vek what he thought the Cobbolds should do about about the inbound humans, Vek said that they had to have faith in Hol'm's traps - and that if they didn't, they should build more!

> Spending 1 Bile to Heal Vek 1 HP
> Voting C

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Health: 4/5 HP
Memory: Trapping (using), When I killed my neighbor's wife (ready)
Items: Pitchfork (+1), Hyper Leaf (One use: +75, -50 next two rounds)
Satiation: 14 -> 15
Bile: 2 -> 3

While Magdalene and the horrible human cleric bandied words back and forth, Vek was in a furious uproar of a work-hustle. He had just had the Memory-injected realization that he had been a killer of some kind before his Cobbold transformation, and he was broken up by it, enough to make him need to throw himself into his work.

Besides, the humans were here - now!!! It was the last call for traps before it was time to actually fight. Vek knew what he had to do - all he had to do was listen to Ceres' advice.

The small shadow demon's voice tittered in Vek's ears as he worked.

"I am not one of you - I come from an ancient time. I am known as the kicker of elves. I am also known as the angel crusher..."

Vek nodded along. He wished he could be taking notes, but his hands were otherwise occupied!

More Traps? Too many traps maybe: 1d100+10+14+1 69 - :69snypa:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Memory: Trapping (cooling), When I killed my neighbor's wife (using)
Satiation: 15 -> 16
Bile: 3 -> 4 -> 0

According to the sounds of anguish and alarm coming from the surrounding forest, the traps around Hol'm were certainly working their magic - including the traps that were actually magic!

On his way to the front lines of the pitched battle, Vek dropped his stockpiled Bile off at Hol'm's ritual room and pressed on.

When he saw what the enemy was up to, attacking his comrades, Vek entered a wrathful fighter's trance, preparing himself to put down the humans who were maimed and dying in the traps he'd set.

The last thing the first dying human Vek encountered saw was this:

"Sleep now." Vek croaked.

> Submitting 4 Bile (4 Satiation) towards the Cobbold's Blessing Ritual - Ritual Satiation needs met!
> Stand Strong with Traps, putting down the maimed: 1d100+10+15+1 60

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Memory: Trapping (ready), When I killed my neighbor's wife cooling)
Satiation: 16 -> 17

"What?!!!! We let the humies run last time, and look what happen!"

Some Cobbolds had died, sure, but even more had been recruited by magic. They were stronger than they'd ever been before! Furthermore, Vek had JUST spent his hard-earned Bile in fueling a dark arts ritual that lasted until they next took a rest, so it wasn't quite time for them to take a breather yet!

> Overtake the humans

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 31, 2020

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Memory: Trapping (ready), When I killed my neighbor's wife (ready)
Satiation: 17 -> 18

Vek had flown into a battle frenzy when the call to attack the retreating humans was made. Vek was so furious at the killing of Walsh, Babbold, and Chungus, that he was one of the first Cobbolds to navigate outside the trap perimeter of H'olm to chase the enemy down.

What followed was a blurry red mess of carnage and Cobbold rage, as Vek sprinted after the humans with a pitchfork strapped to his back and leapt on top of stragglers with his claws out to keep the cowards on the ground and disarm them. He could hear the horde behind him yipping with glee at the capture and sometimes-killing of the humans by the score.

Sweet, delicious victory!

Twenty of Vek's Cobbold allies had surrounded the Cleric human at the base of a tree. She hissed at them and spat, and then P'ark pulled Vek aside with Carrick, dimming the immediacy of their bloodlust for the human.

“I know the pains to avenge a fallen comrade," P'ark related to Vek, "but she has valuable information, and sometimes the…”

P'ark looked at the human with disgust.

“-Extraction can be a better revenge then death. This ultimately your battle though, and we will follow your command, just as you will for us when it’s time to return the favor.”

P'ark gave Vek a strange look, a look that the Cobbold couldn't read on the unfamiliar orc face while in the heightened state of a Cobbold adrenaline high. Nonetheless...

Vek nodded. He didn't know why at first but he kept nodding until he thought the wise orc adviser's advice over more.

"We convert," said Vek in realization. "Vek saw. Magdalene will make her: like us! Like the rest!"

Capture the Cleric - 1Y (only because P'ark asked)
Capture the Humans - 2Y
Downtime - 3Y (we need to build a Workshop and Jails for our newly-captured humans)

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 2, 2020

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Memory: Trapping (using), When I killed my neighbor's wife (ready)
Items: Pitchfork (+1), Hyper Leaf (One use: +75, -50 next two rounds) (using)
Satiation: 18 -> 19
Bile: 2 -> 3 -> 0

Vek the trapper-Cobbold spat some precious regurgitated Bile onto the earth as he passed by the prisons being built inside H'olm. Even though he knew it had been the right idea to reconsider killing all the humans, Vek was slightly vexed that there wasn't more bloodshed in the end.

After making sure the humans were secured by the others, the sharp-eyed Cobbold was on scouting duty. Vek had so many traps to check on and reset along the perimeter outside H'olm, and there were lots of things that could go wrong there: things from nature or from the fighting could have jammed certain mechanisms, like animals, fallen branches, and the occasional body part.

Vek had not properly rested in a good while since the fighting, but he still had plenty of work to do so he'd brought his Hyper Leaf along to chew on as he worked.

When he had worked his way down to the last fruiting bulb of the potent demon's gift, Vek suddenly caught sight of something extremely interesting...

> Contributing 3 Bile (3 Satiation) to the Prison.
> Looting: Holy Symbol; if fail: Chain Mail, if fail: Leather Armor: 3#1d100 49 62 11
> Claim: the 'My First Hunt Alone' Memory: 1d100 13, if fail: Claim: the 'My First Hunt with Father' Memory: 1d100 31
> Scouting, Set Traps with Hyperleaf: 1d100+75+10+18+1 184 - 96+ Scouting roll!

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 6, 2020

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Memory: Trapping (cooling), When I killed my neighbor's wife (ready), My First Hunt with my Father (ready)
Items: Warding Eye (two-way, long-distance looking, speaking, and listening), Pitchfork (+1), Scythe (+1), Hyper Leaf (One use: +75, -50 next two rounds) (2 rolls at -50 remaining)
Satiation: 19 -> 20

Vek reeled away from the mystic gaze of the Warding Eye, afraid that he'd been spotted by the Cleric's people through the tricky artifact's magics. In a panic, Vek poked the strange object in his hands with a clawed digit, causing the eyelids on the Warding Eye to slide shut in pain and start welling with a liquid.

What was it he had seen and heard inside the Eye? Priests in robes and snakey crowns, speaking in hushed tones, the clerics in fancier vestments, and men in shining armor from head to toe standing guard. It was so much to think about, Vek had almost forgotten about the pelt he'd taken from the jaguar he'd chased and devoured. Vek quickly wrapped the strange thing in the jaguar skin and whispered to it:

“Keep your eyes closed if you know what’s good for you.” Vek spoke quietly to the wrapped Warding Eye in his hand, and he felt the thing bob as though it was nodding.

Over the course of his return to H'olm, Vek thought about what he had heard and seen while gazing within the Warding Eye he'd found in the depths of the woods.

The Cleric's name was Aashi, Vek had learned, and she'd probably worked for Thrishna, some god of snakes or something. Aashi had been sent to check on the nearby farms' crops, and apparently it was a BIG DEAL if she failed in her mission. If Aashi didn't come back to her holy order successful in her mission (and she wasn't going to), then the Church of Thrishna might send something called the "palla-dins" who would just kill everyone, farmers included...

Vek had to tell the others!

By the time Vek had returned to H'olm, Whistler had already arrived at the camp and taken off with the Cleric's chainmail armor, removing the item from Vek's claim. Whistler was covered with tiny puncture marks from a snake’s teeth, so maybe the injured cobbold needed the armor more. Vek saw an unclaimed blade sticking out from a pit and found the large thing to be an impressive-looking scythe. He looked at his pitchfork and he looked at his new scythe and he held the two tools' handles together, and he got a crafty idea.

Good thing H'olm's workshop had just been completed! Vek marched inside H'olm, ready to share his findings.

> Vek takes a Scythe (+1)
> Vote: Yes Downtime
> Vek asks Ceres, Faust, and P'ark for advice on what to do with the Warding Eye and how to get the 'Command Phrase' from Aasha the Cleric. Neat can add her own advice but she's specifically not being asked because Vek has no reason to trust her yet.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Memory: Trapping (cooling), When I killed my neighbor's wife (ready), My First Hunt with my Father (ready)
Items: Warding Eye (two-way, long-distance looking, speaking, and listening), Pitchfork (+1), Scythe (+1), Hyper Leaf (One use: +75, -50 next two rounds) (2 rolls at -50 remaining)
Satiation: 20
Bile: 1

"Hngh, er, sorry..." Vek grumbled, picking up the fallen Warding Eye and wrapping it back up in his jaguar pelt. "What, er, how can we - release? You know: make free? Make friend with demon inside?"

Vek could feel the sluggish comedown of the Hyper Leaf affecting him. He searched for the right words in his limited vocabulary.

"Could we find where eye looks - get other, double? Free that way?"

Vek had more questions, so he continued.

"Also, Vek heard them say 'Command Phrase' that only Cleric-human knows..." Vek waved his hands and shrugged. "Can we learn Cleric's command phrase... uh, somehow?"

He meant via demon magics.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Memory: Trapping (ready), When I killed my neighbor's wife (ready), My First Hunt with my Father (using)
Items: Warding Eye (two-way, long-distance looking, speaking, and listening), Pitchfork (+1), Scythe (+1), Hyper Leaf (One use: +75, -50 next two rounds) (1 roll at -50 remaining)
Satiation: 20 -> 21

Vek was exhausted, but there was nowhere for him to sleep in H'olm where there wasn't some kind of Cobbold construction activity already taking place, so he pitched in with whatever efforts there were to expand the warren's bunks, hoping more beds would mean a place for him to rest would always be nearby.

The entire time he worked, all the while feeling strung out and braindead from the comedown of the Hyper Leaf, something strange was rumbling in Vek's stomach. The Cobbold kept looking at his right hand, perplexed by how his hands appeared whole when he distinctly remembered having a missing finger before. Still, he thought he could draw and fire a bow with his hands like this.

Wait, but Father had shot Vek, that day they had gone out hunting together for the first time... and he had remembered losing the finger and needing to re-learn how to fire a bow, and yet - the hand being whole was proof against that, wasn't it?

Vek couldn't shake the sensation that he was forgetting something important. He really needed to reconsider his stance on Hyper Leaf.

> Upgrade the Dormitory: 1d100+10+20+2-50 36

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Memory: Trapping (ready), When I killed my neighbor's wife (using), My First Hunt with my Father (cooling)
Items: Warding Eye (two-way, long-distance looking, speaking, and listening), Pitchfork (+1), Scythe (+1), Hyper Leaf (One use: +75, -50 next two rounds) (0 rolls at -50 remaining)
Satiation: 21 -> 23 (spoke to GM)
Bile: 2 -> 3 -> 0

Vek dragged himself out of his cot and grumbled. He was still so tired!

He was so bedraggled by his Hyper Leaf use from the other day that he completely forgot the Warding Eye among his things, leaving it in a chest under his bed.

In the warren, everyone was clamoring for enough raw materials to build a powerful new room. Vek coughed up his Bile reserves and got to work on it, despite his weariness.

Vek the Cobbold needed something to do to work off his aches until the bad-feeling clouds in his head went away. He thought about how the humans were going to be made better by the Shifting Room, daydreaming a bit. Humans were all such petty, backstabbing creatures - not like Cobbolds! Vek remembered how he killed his neighbor's wife who'd fallen into his trap, back before he'd changed...

It was good the humans were going to become like Vek! Being a Cobbold was so much better!

> Contributing 3 Bile towards the Shifting Room.
> Helping build the Shifting Room: 1d100+10+21+2-50 14

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Memory: Trapping (ready), When I killed my neighbor's wife (cooling), My First Hunt with my Father (ready)
Items: Warding Eye (two-way, long-distance looking, speaking, and listening), Pitchfork (+1), Scythe (+1)
Satiation: 23 -> 24 -> 25
Bile: 0 -> 5

When the Shifting Room's immaculate construction was finally completed, Vek felt strangely refreshed, almost as though H'olm's urgent need for a conversion room was what had been putting Vek in such a funk these past few days. He was exhausted, but in a good way - there was nothing left for him to do today but to go to Mother Magdalene's home and have a party with her, the orcs, the demons, and the other awoken Cobbolds.

They had so much sweet wine to drink, too...

Cobbolds were a hardy species and had amazing constitutions for their size, but the fact of the matter was they just couldn't hold the same amount of liquor as an orc or a demon without getting severely drunk.

Having not rested from his Hyper Leaf comedown and drinking on a nearly-empty stomach (Satiation and Bile didn't count, of course - though they sat in the stomach, those didn't count as alcohol-absorbing food!), Vek found himself getting very flushed very quickly on Magdalene's stores of sweetwine.

Vek babbled a bit:

"Oh, Mother Magdalene!" he cried, lifting up his drink. "A toast: to you! -And for all you've done for us!"

He had everyone's attention, so he tried to make it into a little speech. His memories were telling him something of formalities.

"Now, with Shifting Room: may you never be made so sick again!" Vek continued, blundering ahead with his cup raised. "To your health, and to our alliances with P'ark's tribe and to our demon friends: let us drink deep of the good we can do for each other! Yip yip!"

Vek tossed back his wine cup and slugged it all down, then cheered like a lush as others did the same. He sat down and was quiet for a bit as others spoke - too steeped in alcohol to talk himself.

When the topic was raised on whether they should attack the farm tomorrow, Vek said he was all for it but that he'd prefer to figure it out in the morning after he'd had a chance to sleep off his Hyper Leaf hangover in H'olm...

>Vote: Downtime, then Farm

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vek
Health: 5 -> 4/5 HP
Memory: Trapping (using), When I killed my neighbor's wife (using), My First Hunt with my Father (using)
Items: Warding Eye (two-way, long-distance looking, speaking, and listening), Pitchfork (+1), Scythe (+1)
Satiation: 25 -> 15 -> 20 -> 21
Bile: 5 -> 6

Vek was nervously excited when he woke up back in his bunk in H'olm, having drunk his fill of sweetwine the night before at Mother Magdalene's party. He swiftly rolled out of bed and stumbled onto the floor, still a little bit uncoordinated from his earlier drunkenness. He crawled on his knees over to the chest underneath his bed and rummaged around, retrieving the Warding Eye from within.

"Oh, hello, demon-eye. Do not open!" Vek blurted, placing his palm over the eyelid. "I shall take you somewhere special, where we talk! Yes."

Vek brought the Warding Eye to the Ritual Room with the intention of asking it simple questions about what it had seen and heard of the humans.

Faust and some of the other faceless were milling about, and Vek - along with Ceres' help - corralled them onto the various standing stones to perform a simple demon summoning ritual. He put the Warding Eye on the central dais and spoke to it.

"Okay, demon-eye. You are in a safe place for your kind. Ceres, I want to talk - bring demon-eye's spirit to us!"

As the summoning ritual began, Vek regarded Neat in the corner of his vision. She was allowed to watch and take part - to help, even. After all, what if Vek's plan with Ceres didn't work out? They might need her trickery to get them out of a sticky situation if the humans call their bluff and reveal their cleric to actually be the demon Ceres in disguise...

He turned his head between both of H'olm's demons, and a look of twisted understanding passed between them. There was a reason he had tried to stay outside the Ritual Room until now.

Actions (performed in this order):
> Expand Ceres' Power: 1d100+10+25+2 55
> Summon the Warding Eye Demon Difficulty 0 Immediate (Vek's primary action)
> Interrogate the Warding Eye Demon Difficulty 0 Immediate (can be done in conjunction with other options):
  • *Points at each named spot on the Map* "Are the Humans mobilizing here?"
  • "Are they enslaving other demons like you? (if yes:) Lots and lots?"
  • "Do you want us to free you and your other half?"
  • "Will you help Ceres make a false report to give the humans?"
  • "Will you help Neat enthrall one of the priests?"
> Have Ceres impersonate the Cleric and give a false report: 1d100+10+25+2 52 VS Difficulty 1d100+25 Immediate (can be done in conjunction with other options)
> Have Neat try and use corrupting magics through the Warding Eye, enthralling a low-level priest: 1d100+10+25+2 39 VS Difficulty 1d100+15 Immediate (can be done in conjunction with other options)
> Spend 10 Satiation on combining Pitchfork and Scythe into a new +5 Weapon using the Workshop.
> Utilize Blood Flower: 1d12-1d4 5 - +5 Satiation to Vek, +1 Satiation to local demon (Ceres, Neat, or Warding Eye)

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 30, 2020

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Memory: Trapping (cooling), When I killed my neighbor's wife (cooling), My First Hunt with my Father (cooling)
Items: Warding Eye (Powered by Warding Demon: two-way, long-distance looking, speaking, and listening), Stabby Thing (+5)
Satiation: 21 -> 22
Bile: 6 -> 7

Vek looked between the three demons in the small room with him, the look of bewilderment on his face plain to see after all he'd just seen of the Clerisy in the demon's rift.

"This seem like... very powerful trap to tamper with. It will take... much responsibility." Vek muttered, shaking his head solemnly.

"We must try this again - - only later," The Cobbold decided, resolved.

"Thank you two - no - all three of you," he said warmly to the three demons around him. "You act so fast. So must we."

"I must build a new weapon, and then we must march: to the farm." Vek shared.

"Come with me, Warding Demon, I would keep you close, in a form that does not give you pain..." Vek offered, turning to regard the other two demons in case their help was needed in changing the Warding Demon's body.

> Vote: to the Farm!
> Retain Warding Demon in a form it's comfortable in.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Memory: Trapping (using), When I killed my neighbor's wife (ready), My First Hunt with my Father (ready)
Items: Warding Eye (Powered by Warding Demon: two-way, long-distance looking, speaking, and listening), Stabby Thing (+5)
Satiation: 22 -> 23
Bile: 7 -> 8

Vek was taking his time seeing what he could find of the farm's defenses, hoping that he and his own personal Warding Demon would be forgotten faces among the crowd of Cobbolds currently careening through the streets unimpeded by the humans and their half-built defenses.

The humans of the Farm had thought to set up walls on one side of the town and were kind enough to park their best soldiers conveniently in front of the wall between the Farm and the forest, all of which made it so that the humans' warriors could be avoided by Vek and the other Cobbolds simply running around the back.

Vek took his advance team of trap-finders sprinting to the edge of the forest and took the long way around to approach the Farm from the south, where there were no walls to block their scouting mission. He tentatively sniffed the air with his sensitive birdlike nostrils and snorted.

"I smell boil-pitch and smoke. Black tar. It sticks and burns until you die... powerful trap!" He muttered, more for the benefit of the Warding Demon listening in on him than for the Faceless accompanying him.

"We must keep our allies safe from such terror-fates - find the murderholes and keep our friends away!" Vek commanded the Faceless with him, and together they leapt into action.

> Vote: Accept Orcquest
> Avoid the Tar: 1d100+10+22+5 117
> Vote: Have Ceres push further into town from the flank
> Vote: Have Neat push toward the wall from the flank
> Opinion: EVERYONE IGNORE FRONT of WALL!

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 6, 2020

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Memory: Blind Luck (using)
Items: none
Satiation: 0 -> 1
Bile: 8 -> 9

By pure happenstance Blek was passing by the site of the steaming dead Cobbold trapmaster covered in tar when she was suddenly struck with a thought of brilliance (and self-awareness). That dead Cobbold, the one with the nifty Stabby Thing, he'd been full of Satiation, hadn't he?

What if some of that satiation went back into the horde before any of it went stale? Surely, if a clawful of the other Faceless around would help her...

> Recover Vek's body, plus Warding Eye, Stabby Thing, and and First Hunt Memory: 1d100+10 69 3#1d100 33 37 65
Vote: All Orcs and Demons to the Leader Fight

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Memory: Blind Luck (cooling), My First Hunt with my Father (using)
Items: Warding Eye (Powered by Warding Demon: two-way, long-distance looking, speaking, and listening), Stabby Thing (+5), Shooty Thing (Defy Death, Loaded, 5 Satiation + ACT to reload)
Satiation: 24 -> 25
Bile: 9 -> 10

When she discovered the Warding Eye among Vek's things, Blek chirruped in a trill query, "Oho..?"

The Warding Eye blinked at her with a dewy eye, showing some trepidation at seeing its new owner.

"Ohuhuhu..." Blek chortled, and she stowed the thing so she could test out her new stabby thing instead.

The female cobbold Blek had just glutted herself on Satiation, to the point where she was near-to-bursting in her stomachs. The squirming pains inside didn't matter to her though: everywhere else she felt good!

She saw a glint of circular light in the distance, and from her newly-acquired memory, Blek had a good idea what it was: it was likely a spyglass peering in on their fight, and Blek had just spotted the position of the human reconnaissance team...

"Get the scouts with me, faceless! Skreeeee!" Blek screeched into the dark sky, and she slung her new Stabby Thing and Shooty Thing onto her back and set off loping after the distant human figures.

Kill the scouts reporting the violence: 1d100+10+24+5 112

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 18, 2020

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Memory: Blind Luck (using), My First Hunt with my Father (cooling)
Items: Warding Eye (Powered by Warding Demon: two-way, long-distance looking, speaking, and listening), Stabby Thing (+5), Shooty Thing (Defy Death, Loaded, 5 Satiation + ACT to reload)
Satiation: 25 -> 20 -> 21
Bile: 10 -> 11

"HISSSSSSS," Blek hissed for silence, once she'd returned to the rest of the Cobbolds who were assembled and debating the Farm's fate. Her tusked mouth was bubbling with the red of human blood.

"They will fight us," Blek snarled in her squeaky voice when she had their attention, "and they will keep coming back to fight us, and they will never not be our allies until we make them just like us. They will never accept us as we are."

"We refuse their surrender and we finish this," Blek announced, making her way to the Cobbolds' large gunpowder barrel along with a few faceless. "Decapitation strikes are a must."

"We need the demons' help for this last push." she intoned, in her pipsqueaky voice. "Help me in seeking their guidance."

"Oh, and, uh, Whistler - if they don't help us, then here: you must use this."

Blek turned her back to the group and regurgitated two handfuls of Satiation from her stomachs, then she gave the substance to Whistler for safekeeping.

"Now," Bleck squeaked, clapping her claws, "someone help me lift this powderkeg. If we're lucky the humans won't expect explosives while we're supposed to be considering their surrender!"

> Give +5 Satiation to Whistler.
> Refuse Surrender
> Vote: Ceres helps Evade Gunfire.
> Vote: Neat helps Burn Manor.
> :thermidor: Burn the manor: 1d100+20+10+5 129

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Health: 5 -> 3/5 HP
Memory: Blind Luck (cooling), My First Hunt with my Father (using)
Satiation: 21 -> 25 -> 17 -> 7
Bile: 11 -> 12 -> 0

Blek went back to H'olm with the others of her kind, disappointment full in her Cobbold heart. Hadn't she made a good case for converting the majority of them and blowing up their manor? So many of her folk had perished in the attack against the Farm...

While the others made their plans to create an over-engineered metal monstrosity, Blek focused instead on creating clay and amassing soil for creating "green" architecture. There needed to be plentiful sources of light and water to grow food for H'olm, which took the most brainstorming in particular.

> Blood Flower: 1d12-1d4 0 +0 Satiation to Blek, -1HP, +4 Satiation to Demon
> Blood Flower: 1d12-1d4 4 +4 Satiation to Blek, -1HP, +2 Satiation to Demon
> Memory: Banditry on the Plains: 1d100 99
> Build a Hanging Garden: 1d100+10+25+5 125
> Blek spends 12 Bile and 8 Satiation to Build a Hanging Garden.
> Claim Leather Armor.
> Workshop: Upgrade Leather Armor with 10 Satiation.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Health: 3 -> 4/5 HP
Memory: Blind Luck (ready), My First Hunt with my Father (cooling), Banditry on the Plains (using)
Items: Warding Eye (Powered by Warding Demon: two-way, long-distance looking, speaking, and listening), Stabby Thing (+5), Shooty Thing (Defy Death, Loaded, 5 Satiation + ACT to reload), Leather Armor (Lvl 2, +5)
Satiation: 7 -> 9

> Blek takes and eats a Heal Berry for +1 HP!
> Memory: Raids on the Glass Desert: 1d100 30 - Upgrading 'Banditry on the Plains' if possible
> Find Hunters to steal their charms: 1d100+10+7+5+5 37
D

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Memory: Blind Luck (using), My First Hunt with my Father (ready), Banditry on the Plains (ready), Raids on the Glass Desert (ready)
Items: Warding Eye (Powered by Warding Demon: two-way, long-distance looking, speaking, and listening), Stabby Thing (+5), Shooty Thing (Defy Death, Loaded, 5 Satiation + ACT to reload), Leather Armor (Lvl 2, +5)
Satiation: 9 -> 10

Blek snapped to cognizance just in time to dodge a wicked lunge from an elf's horrid trident. She hissed and lashed out with the vicious weapon in her clutches.

2D - Being at the right place and the right time to help with Plan Bluco: 1d100+10+10+10 54

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Memory: Blind Luck (cooling), My First Hunt with my Father (ready), Banditry on the Plains (using), Raids on the Glass Desert (ready)
Satiation: 10 -> 11

Blek remembered her banditry lessons from her time hunting them on the plains as a human: you had to think fast to get the score, whether that score was a thief, a bandit, or those things which thieves and bandits seek: treasure.

While all the other Cobbolds in the elves' egg room got to work making a protective incubator for the elf eggs, Blek snuck up to one of the egg pedestals and quickly planted the Warding Eye Demon underneath where the strange leathery baby elf pod sat. Instinctively, Blek the cobbold began tracing small demonic runes to assist in a demonic soul transfer.

"This you new bod." Blek whispered to the pocket-size demon. "Very strong!"

D) Egg Banditry for Warding Eye Demon's new body: 1d100+10+10+10 104

If anyone asked her, Blek would say that she was assisting in running the incubator's leylines, even doing some to prove her helpfulness if necessary.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Memory: Blind Luck (ready), My First Hunt with my Father (ready), Banditry on the Plains (cooling), Raids on the Glass Desert (ready)
Satiation: 11 -> 12

Blek looked up at the leader-elf's words and hissed: this was not a matter of negotiation!

A).

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Health: 4 -> 5/5 HP
Memory: Blind Luck (Using), My First Hunt with my Father (Using), Banditry on the Plains (Using), Raids on the Glass Desert (Using)
Items: Stabby Thing (+5), Shooty Thing (Defy Death, Loaded, 5 Satiation + ACT to reload), Leather Armor (Lvl 2, +5)
Satiation: 12 -> 17 -> 19 -> 22 -> 12

Blek bristled.

She had given the Warding Eye Demon a brand new body from the egg of an unborn elf - a species of personoid that less than a day prior was their sworn enemy in combat.

Blek had thought that having a demonic elf would be an asset in their fight against the elves, but now that the elves wanted peace and an alliance with the Cobbolds, suddenly Blek was being given the stern, 'I'm disappointed' speech from Mother Magdalene. The nerve!

Mother Magdalene said that they were not supposed to eat the corpses of the recently-slain elven dead, but what did Mother Magdalene know? She didn't know what it was like to be a cobbold, capable of learning such things from those that pass...

1) Sneak a corpse, using Banditry on the Plains: 1d100+30+10+10 62 - Claiming +5 Satiation, 2 Magic Memories or else 1 Magic & 1 Mundane Memories

2) Let's fight with the dwarves. I'll bet the memories from their fallen will be interesting too!

3) Claiming Hyper Leaf, Heal Berry, and Flesh Fruit, and consuming all three!

Downtime 1: Forage with Blind Luck and Hyper Leaf: 1d100+10+10+75+19 125 - Success!

Downtime 2: Medical Work with Raids on the Glass Desert and a Hyper Leaf hangover: 1d100+10+10+19-50 51

Downtime 3: Medical Work with My First Hunt with my Father and a Hyper Leaf hangover: 1d100+10+10+19-50 12

> Workshop: Upgrading the Leather Armor lvl 2 for -10 Satiation!

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Memory: Blind Luck (Using), My First Hunt with my Father (cooling), Banditry on the Plains (cooling), Raids on the Glass Desert (cooling)
Items: Stabby Thing (+5), Shooty Thing (Defy Death, Loaded, 5 Satiation + ACT to reload), Leather Armor (Lvl 3, +10)
Satiation: 12 -> 13

Blind Luck vs Blind Difficulty vs Blind Vote: 1d100+10+15+12 76