Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
O
HO
N
im more into the miniature buildings than the trains actually
this thread is a trainwreck OP!!! :D
Friendly Pocket Watch Wearin' Goku Conductor
View Results

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Whats the scale where you make a train that bigger than a real train?

People should be doing that. A train 4 times larger than normal.
Do you remember those 3 story tall human balloons where you'd enter through the butthole and it was a museum exhibit of internal medicine?

I want to enter through a 3 story tall trains butthole now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

You should make Snowpiercer, a train 1001 cars long, imo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmegin posted:

:agreed:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
How did I miss this? (it was for my nephew to see)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM1KzEK9PyU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oyak posted:

I went to a model train convention at the agricultural hall a few years back, and somebody had rigged up a model lighthouse inside of which a bear was chasing a guy endlessly in a circle. The engineer had attached the bear and the guy to opposite ends of a wooden stick, and put the stick on a spinning motor so it looked like they were chasing each other. I have never gone to another train show because I have been spoiled for life by that man's ingenuity.

Maybe instead of a model train scene the OP could go all in on the model bear chase scene. I like the guy rides a little track up the side of a tree, and then the tree is on hinges so the bear can knock it over. It can have a bunch of cool discoverable details, like Werner Herzog filming from behind a bush.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shibawanko posted:

i bought a-train pc classic in the steam sale

my wife has a funny way of introducing me to people: "this is my husband, he likes videogames and dinosaurs and trains"

i don't even like dinosaurs and trains that much

Next time say, actually honey it's you who likes trains

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I got a model train set for Christmas one year, and I lost it in a move. I built bridges out of cereal boxes. :unsmith:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

You know you hit the midlife crisis when you just want to build a train set in the basement and watch them go around while drinking beer and / or smoking weed.

Also if you want to go with Lionel, I totally got some Thomas the tank engine cars up on Ebay at the moment... (not joking tbh)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

More like mid life hell yes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Mid life High yes

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
HO is crap for layouts. They look like toys going around a circle, because they are.

N is pretty good. You can have reasonable detail and things look like models not dollhouses. The straights are much longer and the curves have wider radius in scale.

Apart from that the G scale stuff is really cool if your wife will let you run it outside.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

If you wanna run with the trains OP, you should find some local enthusiasts to show you the ropes. Make post on your local pages looking for guys to "run the train on" you. It's train speak, they'll know what it means.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

feedmegin posted:

That would be cool to see. Have someone rent a big warehouse and design a Snowpiercer track.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

If you are looking for inspiration for a Halloween build here's a goddamned scary dark ride of a trainyard inside a museum complete with jump scares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEWlyPQ5aDA

I've been wanting to talk about this for a while, we took our toddler to the child-oriented train museum and asked them 'can we take him on this ride?', which I presumed was well lit and not scary and they were like 'lol yeah as long as he can sit in a seat by himself." Ralph Jr handled it like a champ though, only a little of crying and he was okay enough at the end to wave bye to the attendants and keep running around the museum.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Disturbing lack of Neil Young jokes itt

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

the real og poo poo is the white pellets you put into the engine car that makes it look like steam is coming out the top. if you got a hook up let me know because its been too long

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

real OG poo poo

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Chinatown posted:

idk, im sliding into my mid 30s here, kinda stagnated at work, moneys fine not great but fine, COVID rules now.

need a new jam. but something from the old days

I should become Model Train Guy. But what scale so I pick>???

I can sell you about 20 N-scale engines with some 100 carriages and enough tracks to cover a whole room? For reals. Some of us don’t want to be Model Train Guy anymore.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I buy moddeling supplies at Entertrainment Junction sometimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EnterTRAINment_Junction

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
I have an N-scale set that’s about 45 years old. If you have a tiny bedroom like I had, it’s amazing how much landscape you can pack into a small area.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Instead of buildings and townscapes, you should lovingly craft a cave tunnel that's just a giant goatse for trains, OP.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
N scale 4 lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
You could always collect Glen dolls and make a city for them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_32ARA_B4E