Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Welcome to the Blue forces thread. Red force read no further!

Generals. You have been tasked with commanding our glorious forces. Victory is assured, the enemy cannot stand before you!

You have had time to marshal the armies, Of course, with the war being young, I have not had time to write down your order of battle. Let us refresh ourselves.

Army construction.

You all need a commander to represent yourself on the field. Commanders can be rated from 4 to 10, and this is the score you have to roll under to do anything.
Each point of commander skill costs ten points.

Infantry.

The backbone of your forces, they are scored as follows.
Size 4 points per level (is 4 for tiny, 8 for small ect..)
Morale - 4 points per level
Hand to hand - 1 point per level
shooting
1 point per level if range 12" (smoothbore carbines)
2 points per level if range 18" (smoothbore muskets/rifled carbines)
3 points per level if range 24" (Rifled muskets/breech loading carbines)
4 points per level if range 30" (Breech loading Rifles)
5 points per level if range 36"(Bolt Action rifles)

Cavalry

The fancy horsemen are costed as follows
Size 4 points per level (is 4 for tiny, 8 for small ect..)
Morale - 4 points per level
Hand to hand - 2 points per level
shooting
1 point per level if range 12"
2 points per level if range 18"
3 points per level if range 24"
4 points per level if range 30"
5 points per level if range 36"
Heavy cav 4 points.

Artillery

Size 2 points per level
Morale - 2 points per level
Hand to hand - 1 points per level
shooting
4 point per level if range 12"
8 points per level if range 24"
12 points per level if range 36"
16 points per level if range 48"
20 points per level if range 60"

This should be fairly simple. Aim for 3-6 units per battalion.
For reference, here are the basic unit profiles given in the book.

You have a total of 1500 points for your force. If you want to do anything a bit more special, let me know and I can see if there are any specials that would fit.

Good luck generals.

Ps. Though you have been given the red colour, feel free to flesh your imagi-nation out a bit, and let me know what you want to tell your foul opponents.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Shoeless posted:

Any special rules for horse-drawn "fast" cannons? Also, in the main thread it looks like only cavalry can be scouts and thus ignore the penalty for being outside 12" of a commander. Is there any chance of Tiny infantry units used as scouts for the same purpose? Seems like they might be useful for more heavily wooded areas that cav would have more trouble with.

I'll allow tiny infantry to act as scouts.

Artillery
The first value is for short range (6"), the second mid (up to half) and the third long (half to full).

Horse artillery moves faster when limbered (18" rather than 12" for foot art.), and can limber/unlimber for free at the start and/or end of a turn. - but they are limited to 1 stamina and 24"/48" range. (for smoothbore or rifled)

It's not clear in the books how to cost this (as points are apparently for filthy casuals, as are boards less than 4"x12") - but looking at their example all guns fire at 3/2/1 and you are just paying for the range.

So if you want horse artillery, it should be stamina 1, 24 or 48" range and just call it horse.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah 1500 for the whole team. Commanders are on average level 8 and therefore 80 points.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

1st edition. And every brigade needs a commander.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Blue Team Team Building Exercise: Let's Play Scourge of War Waterloo

Stop reading my future LP ideas.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

#for the record - heavy cav get +1D3 on a charge.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hippocrass posted:

So is there a resource people can use to help build their brigades without buying the gamebook?

Forgot to answer this earlier, but not that I can find - and as you can guess I'm loath to copy large sections from a rule book. I'm sure I or someone else can help if you give a vauge idea what your aiming for.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The book suggests 9 as a max HTH for an elite unit, but gives no hard limit.
BTW, I'm giving every infantry unit the form square special ability - its free anyway, and it saves book keeping.

For a level playinbg field, here are the specials and what they do/cost

Lets say 24 hrs to hash out your units, so this doens't drag on for ever.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Commander please list your final OOB.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Forces are now set (though you can reorganise the artillery if you wish)

here is the map. you may march on at any point and at any time on the red edge. the start time will be 6 am. (this allows you to send the scouts ahead of the main body if you so choose.)[/b]

You may now plan your battle!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sorry! Scale map is here.

Bottom left corner.

I said this was a big map.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bacarruda posted:

Grey, can I suggest we halve or even quarter the map scale? Our infantry's max one-turn (three move) movement speed is 54", assuming everyone passes their command rolls.

It's gonna be a long time before we start to see any action and I'm worried goon interest will burn out before we get much of a fight.

NOPE!

I plan on running multi turn updates. maybe even a whole day in one go.

The whole point of this is to have a big map you guys can get lost in.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So, I am going to have to halt this for a week (kinda why I've not been pushing it TBH) - The wife's gran has passed, and we need to go clear her house out.

Sorry everyone, but you will have plenty of time to plan your winning stratergy!

Orders due by 5am BST saturday the 18th

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Orders are due in a few days.

I will be doing multi turn updates, most likely until Contact is made, orders run out of night falls. Orders will be rolled at the brigade level until combat is made to make my life easier.

You will be able to enter the field of battle at any point along your edge, please make your orders as clear as possible, and supply a order of march for all units, and if multiple brigades are using the same road, I will need a march order from the commanding general.

Example order.

1st brigade will enter at road 1 at 6am and march to take positions here.
Order of march
Cav
1st inf
Arty
2nd inf.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm still setting up the sheet, I've got all blue on and I'm working on red. I'll let you know when I'm starting to process the turns.

sorry this is taking longer than planned, the trip north and then wife breaking her foot has put more work on me this weekend than planned. Once everything is on the map, things will speed up a bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hi Guys.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to call this - the sudden shift in my responsibilties is going to eat a good amount of my spare time for the next 4-6 weeks, so I don't want to commit to something that I just don't have the time for!

Sorry! thanks fo rall your hard work - maybe next time

(Blame my wife for his one)