Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Do you want the moustache on, or off?

Too bad.

Welcome to Sealab Mafia, a 13 player game of fun and adventure.

The Rules
All standard mafia rules apply. Please don't make me go through the effort of finding that ruleset someone else wrote and copy-pasting it here. You guys know the rules. If you actually don't know the rules, ask me.

Don't Be A Dick
That rule is very important, though, so I typed it out myself. Now, of all times, is no time to be dicks to one another. As much as this is a game of calling each other idiots in the name of fun, I don't want to see any personal attacks or making one another feel bad, god drat it. The world is awful. The forums are teetering on the edge. Be nice.

Public Knowledge You Can All Have
Town win condition: "You win when all threats to the town are eliminated."
Mafia win condition: "You win when the mafia controls at least 50% of the vote."

Deadlines
I'm planning on 48 hour gamedays with 24 hour nights. We'll see how that goes in practice.

Is This Game Balanced

If you are interested, please join the discord and post in this thread.

Player List
  1. Dead Cow
  2. DGK2000 (DGK/Lord/He)
  3. GenericGirlName
  4. got off on a technicality
  5. JOHN CENA
  6. Jose Valasquez (he/him/his)
  7. Kashuno
  8. nerox
  9. Retro Futurist (He/him/opop)
  10. SalTheBard (He and / or Them)
  11. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  12. spacing in vienna (she, her)
  13. Spoonsy (he/him/his)

Replacement List
chaoslord

Votecount

Results
Day 1: DGK2000, Town Mason Recruiter, was executed
Night 1: Retro Futurist, Town Lorecop, was bizarro-beamed
Day 2: Nobody was executed
Night 2: Nerox, Town Vanilla, was bizarro-beamed

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

chaoslord posted:

Replacement list. I'm really sad this is running now and not at a time when Birb and I could both play and we could be an unconfirmed mason team of Bizarro Stormy and Regular Stormy, as the two resident sealab fans
I'm sorry!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If you are signed up, please remember to come aimlessly hang out in the discord while we wait for six more people, as that's where roles will be distributed.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

spacing in vienna posted:

BIZARRO I LOVE YOU
BIZARRO I LOVE YOU

I'M HELPING
I'M HELPING
I'M HELPING YOU

loving hell people sign up for this game so I can be a Bizarro already
please sign up

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

Let me kick it off:

My Son experiencing Rabbits for Easter!
And also discovering finger guns, apparently. Eyyyyyyyy

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

got off on a technicality posted:

I'd like to join

It's been many years since my last game but I hope that's ok
Fine by me!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

With one more person needed before we start, now seems like a good time to remind you all to get in the discord if you haven't, as that's where roles will be handed out.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Everyone in the discord should now have recieved their roles. Everyone else should get in the discord so we can start this thing tomorrow please.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Everyone should now have their roles! Barring any objections, Day 1 will begin tomorrow, July 6th, at 12 noon EST with a deadline set for Wednesday, July 8th, at 9 PM EST.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It is a normal day on Sealab.

Which, in this case, means that the Bizarros have invaded, demanding uranium that you don't actually have, a radioactive leak in Pod Six has turned most of the crew into slavering flesh-hungry zombies and you're all now hiding in a broom closet because to go outside is certain death, and the power is out. Again.

Luckily, you -- the stalwart crew of Sealab -- are sure that so long as you all do what you do best, everything will turn out fine. And, of course, what you do best is meandering conversations that don't really go anywhere, forming semi-random cliques, insulting each other, and occasional murder. To that end, you have decided that once a day, you'll decide who's most likely to be a Bizarro, and throw them out of the broom closet to be devoured by zombies.

This is an excellent plan that will certainly not end in the destruction of Sealab.

Again.

CapnAndy, Inexplicable French Guy (Mod-Aligned Plot Device) was blown up by a thermonuclear Happy Bake Oven

Day One has begun!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Would the town prefer 72 hour days? I don't think going any longer than that would be advisable, but if 48 is making you claustrophobic it's not set in stone.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

48 it is, then. You have a bit less than 5 hours.

Votecount for Day 1

DGK2000 (2): spacing in vienna, Retro Futurist
Retro Futurist (1): Dead Cow
SalTheBard (1): Kashuno
Dead Cow (1): got off on a technicality, Kashuno, Kashuno
JOHN CENA (1): DGK2000
Jose Valasquez (1): nerox, JOHN CENA, nerox
Spoonsy (0): DGK2000, DGK2000
spacing in vienna (0): Retro Futurist, Retro Futurist
nerox (0): got off on a technicality, Dead Cow, got off on a technicality, Dead Cow
Kashuno (0): Retro Futurist, Retro Futurist
got off on a technicality (0): spacing in vienna, spacing in vienna

Not Voting (6): GenericGirlName, Jose Valasquez, nerox, SalTheBard, Sandwolf, Spoonsy

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 08th, 2020 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 4 hours, 47 minutes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I didn't actually say what would happen if time expired without a vote, did I

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Itíll be a no-lunch because killing the vote leader when I hadnít prewarned you guys about that wouldnít be fair.

You have 30 minutes to deadline.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Flavor incoming

You may talk about other things until then

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

So what's this show about?
Sealab was one of the first-wave adult swim shows, in the same "look we've got all this hokey old Hanna Barbera footage, let's dub over it, that'll be cheap" vein as Space Ghost: Coast to Coast. It is about 11 minutes of nonsense bordering on surrealism per episode, relying entirely on dialogue for its comedy.

Adult swim has a free app with all the seasons on it. You'll have to put up with a commercial before each one, but it's worth it. Don't watch Season 4.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sirens blared. Survivors crowded in a darkened broom closet.

Silence reigned. Nobody even wanted to discuss if they'd put their brains in a robot body, or deal hard drugs to each other.

Eventually, people started muttering to each other that maybe DGK was to blame for this situation, because, well... it was almost always his fault, wasn't it? Wasn't he supposed to be in charge, or something? Rather than defend himself, DGK snapped. "I can't do it! I can't live without my Happy Bake Oven! The secret ingredient... was love, dammit!"

With that, he was thrown unresistingly out of the broom closet, and devoured by radioactive zombies.

DGK2000, Captain Hazel "Hank" Murphy, Town-Aligned Mason Recruiter, was voted out Day 1!

And then Sealab exploded.

It is now Night 1!

Thread will reopen at approximately 9 pm EST tomorrow, July 9th. Get your night actions in before that, or you will target a player at random.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Which, in this case, means that the Bizarros are still invading, you're still trapped in the broom closet, and now Retro Futurist is dead too. He has been turned inside out, as though shot by some sort of Bizarro Beam, though you're not sure how you know that. It's not a pretty sight, but bits of robot all over the place at least tell you who he was. Looks like Quinn won't be saving the day single-handedly this time.

You'll have to do it yourselves. This will certainly not end in the destruction of Sealab.

Again.

Retro Futurist, Dr. Quentin Q. Quinn, Town-Aligned Lorecop, was Bizarro-beamed Night 1!

Day Two has begun! Deadline will be Saturday, July 11th, at 9pm EST. I will push it to Sunday if the town wants, due to the weekend, though you really all ought to be home then, given the current circumstances.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 9, 2020

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Wait, did he not flip with an alignment?
That alignment was always there, I don't know what you're talking about.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

That's ! Okay, now that the day is over, two things:

got off on a technicality posted:

gently caress off shitbird
This is way over the line. You get one warning; this is it. As a reminder:

CapnAndy posted:

Don't Be A Dick
That rule is very important, though, so I typed it out myself. Now, of all times, is no time to be dicks to one another. As much as this is a game of calling each other idiots in the name of fun, I don't want to see any personal attacks or making one another feel bad, god drat it. The world is awful. The forums are teetering on the edge. Be nice.

Secondly

Jose Valasquez posted:

Andy what are the lurker rules for this game?
I did not set any, but I agree it's becoming a problem. We only have 48 hour days, so... I don't know, 5 posts per game day, minimum? I'm open to discussion on this. You've all got confessionals; chime in and I'll have a rule set up starting tomorrow.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 12, 2020

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

In the broom closet, everyone was a little more tense.

Spoonsy was being particularly quiet. Every time someone else prodded him, he stirred awake to tell a joke, but over time it seemed like less and less people thought he was funny. There were starting to be grumbles that maybe he ought to be thrown to the zombies, but he plied the crowd with drugs and credit cards until they liked him again.

"What about gooat?", people said. "He's been extremely rude." He had been extremely rude, so with that they threw him out to the -----

--ghzzkgkgjk--

---- and gooat and Sandwolf embraced as dear friends, while the crew of Sealab danced merrily in the backdrop. Someone even did a sweet drop kick, just to show off their karate skills.

Nobody was voted out Day 2!

It is now Night 2!

Thread will reopen at approximately 9 pm EST tomorrow, July 12th. Get your night actions in before that, or you will target a player at random.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Which, in this case, means that the Bizarros are still invading, you're still trapped in the broom closet, and now Nerox is dead. You have to work on it a little bit to put the pieces back together -- it's like a particularly gross ijgsaw puzzle -- but the skin color was a pretty big clue, and pretty soon you know who Nerox was. Debbie is dead. Now nobody will teach the children of Sealab, but you suppose nobody was really teaching them anyway. Bunch of hoodlums, all of them.

You'll have to try once again to find someone useful to throw to the zombies. This will certainly not end in the destruction of Sealab.

Again.

Nerox, Debbie Allison Love, Town-Aligned Vanilla Townie, was Bizarro-beamed Night 2!

Day Three has begun! Deadline will be Tuesday, July 14th, at 9pm EST.

New rule: From now on, if you do not post at least five times per game day, you will be modkilled at nightfall. This rule may be modified later if need be.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Votecount for Day 3

got off on a technicality (4): JOHN CENA, Spoonsy, Dead Cow, Sandwolf
Spoonsy (1): Kashuno
Dead Cow (0): JOHN CENA, JOHN CENA

Not Voting (5): GenericGirlName, got off on a technicality, Jose Valasquez, SalTheBard, spacing in vienna

With 10 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 14th, 2020 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 8 hours, 9 minutes.

THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE ARE IN DANGER OF MODKILL FOR INACTIVITY:
GenericGirlName (3 posts)
SalTheBard (2 posts)

The recorded amount is posts made. Remember, you must have 5 posts before end of game day to avoid modkill.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Enjoy chatting while I write the flavor.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Confusion reigned in the broom closet.

"Didn't we throw gooat out to the zombies yesterday?"

"No, we couldn't have. He's still right there."

"That's weird. I distinctly remember doing that."

"Perhaps I can explain," said gooat. "None of this is real. None of you are real! This is all actually a video game I'm playing -- a very stupid video game, I might add -- and I did not allow you to throw me to the zombies because that would be dumb and I don't want to do it."

People thought about that one for a bit.

"Bullshit," they said.

By the time they threw him out to the zombies, gooat's body had grown curiously stiff and lifeless, as though its animating spark had already fled.

...Meanwhile, in another facet of the infinite dream of the Space Baby...

Master Shake angrily threw the video game cartridge onto the ground, causing it to explode for no good reason. That game was bullshit and he didn't like it, and frankly, it was Meatwad's fault for making Shake steal it from him to play in the first place. Now he was bored, and angry. Of course, bored and angry was his natural state. He wandered off to find some dumb nonsense to do. After all, the video game didn't really matter. None of this matters. Carl said that. Carl also has a pool.

got off on a technicality, Master Shake, Town-Aligned One-Shot Voteproof, was voted out Day 3!

It is now Night 3!

Thread will reopen on or before 9 pm EST tomorrow, July 15th. Get your night actions in before that, or you will target a player at random.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It is not a normal day on Sealab. Much has changed overnight.

John Cena is dead, but not turned inside out. Instead, he has been beaten into a bloody pulp. Bits of him still faintly glow, and from the holsters filled with six-shooters and miraculously appearing whisky bottles slowly accumulating next to his corpse, you identify him. Alvis is dead. Somehow.

Sandwolf is also dead. He has been shot right in the frigging face. With your eyes now drawn to his face, you cannot help but notice the shape of his head, and how remarkably mailbox-like it is. This can only mean one thing. Marco is dead too.

Once the commotion has died down, Jose clears his throat. Speaking in a rumble, he says "CENA... DEAD. CENA BAD. HE SHOOT JOSE IN BACK OF HEAD, MAKE JOSE ANGRY.

HIM NOT LIKE IT WHEN JOSE ANGRY. NOBODY LIKE JOSE WHEN ANGRY.

JOSE... GOES NOW."

With that, Jose walks through the wall and off into the inexplicable sunset, as equally inexplicable sad piano music plays in the background.

JOHN CENA, Alvis, Town-Aligned Vigilante, was beaten to death Night 3!

Sandwolf, Marco Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Town-Aligned Cop, was shot in the frigging face Night 3!

Jose Valasquez, Monster Hesh, Self-Aligned Monster, wins! He has left the game after completing his win condition on Night 3!

Before the bickering could start again, Spoonsy, Spacing in Vienna, and Dead Cow broke from the group and stood together in triumph.

"FOOLS! Your numbers are now too slim to contain us! The time for hiding is over, for we control Sealab!"

And they did. With only six survivors left, the three Bizarros could now do whatever they pleased.

"Now... give us the fossilized DNA samples!"

You don't have those either.

The Bizarros win!
Spoonsy, Bizarro Murphy, Mafia-Aligned Godfather wins!
spacing in vienna, Bizarro Stormy, Mafia-Aligned Juggernaut wins!
Dead Cow, Bizarro Debbie, Mafia-Aligned Jailer wins!

A few days later, the Groovies invade too, but it's cool, it turns out they just had some pan-dimensional weed they wanted to sell you guys.

The End

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Post-Mortem
1. Holy poo poo, the town did everything wrong. Everything. Never voted out a scum, the doc only protected himself, one cop died immediately and the other one got screwed on his results twice, the vigilante who didn't have to kill anyone kept shooting, it was really remarkable. And also perfectly in character.

2. "Who's the scum faction" was not a problem I expected the town to have. The opening flavor and the flavor of every single day mentioned a Bizarro invasion. Nightkills were done by Bizarro beam. The setup included a lorecop. I truly do not know what else I could have done to signal THE BIZARROS ARE THE SCUM. Mafia is a limited-information game where the players try to move towards complete information and instead you guys somehow ended up with less information than you started with.

3. Sandwolf was just so unlucky. He investigated Jose N1, and according to the priority list I wrote before the game started, cop investigations happen before nightkills. So Jose returned TOWN and then was promptly shot and transformed into a SK. Then Sandwolf investigated the Mafia Godfather N2. He was a non-insane cop and still got wrong results 2 out of 3 times!

4. Jose got this entire game handed to him on a silver platter. My jaw was absolutely on the floor watching it happen. Not only did he luck out on N1 and get unknowingly cleared by the cop, but a balancing element to his role was supposed to be that he didn't know who killed him and he'd have to do some hunting and get lucky. I did not expect the guy who killed him to be immediately posting HEY JOSE IT WAS ME, I'M THE GUY WHO KILLED YOU, SHOT YOU RIGHT IN THE FACE, ME RIGHT HERE the very next day.

5. Night 2 was a beautiful dance of stupidity. DC jailed Jose, which prevented him from killing Nerox, which freed up Nerox to be killed by SiV instead. Meanwhile, Cena tried to shoot Jose again, which wouldn't have done anything because bullets don't work on Jose and he had evidence of that already, but he couldn't, because Jose had been jailed.

6. Night 3 was just a disaster for the town. Ironically, the best chance to save the town rested with the scum -- if they'd jailed Cena or Jose (and not killed Cena), the game would not have ended.

Link to setup doc
Link to Night Action spreadsheet

A few notes on the setup:
- Lorecop means RF would have gotten the names of your character, not your roles. This was actually a very powerful ability, because the scum had fakeclaims, but the lorecop could catch them out in a lie, as two of the three would claim to be someone they weren't. As the scum were not even made aware that their fakeclaims could be busted, I felt it was an extremely powerful role and did my best to balance it -- hence Bizarro Quinn as a lorecop Miller (there can't be two Quinns! One's a Bizarro!) and Bizarro Stormy (fakeclaim: Stormy) as a lorecop godfather. And then, of course, RF just immediately bought it.

- Hesh was me having fun with an experimental role. I wanted to do a SK, but too many kills in a game this small means it ends too quickly. (Ha! Also, oops!) So I had him primed to go off later in the game, or possibly not at all, and with a win condition that should've had him still incentivized to hunt scum, since it would be likely one of them killed him. I also wanted to do an alignment shift. I thought that was neat.
(Incidentally, since it's not in the setup doc: once triggered, Hesh was bulletproof, had to kill every night, and won when the person who triggered his transformation by NKing him was dead.)

- I might've been settling some Good Place grudges by including a Town-Aligned Voteproof. Because that is a townie ability and if you do it once and they don't die, they're confirmed town goddammit, don't do that again.

- Sealab doesn't actually have that many named characters! If you exclude Tornado Shanks and Sharko (and you absolutely should, and I did), there are only 10 characters who appear in more than one episode. So I got creative. Incidentally, I was very much looking forward to Quinn getting back an investigative result of "Master Shake", and am super bummed that not only did I not get to see that, but I didn't even get a gameday where the town at large could react to it.

I hope you guys had fun!

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Hey why didn't I get any of GGN's dolphin chirps?!?!?
Oh yeah, so:

GGN begged me for a power, so I told her she could send incomprehensible dolphin chirps to a player once per night to make her feel better. The chirps were not delivered. Sorry, GGN! I thought it would confuse people if they got flavor about hearing dolphin noises, and VTs can't actually have a night action.