Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Lmao sloppy seconds leases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

shy boy from chess club posted:

So if anyone isn't up on banana history before the 50s the kind of bananas imported were Gros Michel or "Big Mike". Then what's known as Panama Disease wiped them out, it's a fungal disease that rotted the plants from the inside out. Since bananas are all genetically identical they were almost entirely wiped out. The ones we get now are known as Cavendish and are immune to the disease so far.

The Gros Michel ones are supposed to taste like candy, literally. It's the artificial flavor in taffy, runts, etc if you ever wondered why those taste nothing like the Cavendish that we are used to.

I eat a lot of bananas, they are my favorite. Once I found out about the Gros Michel I had to try them. I found a place in Florida that grows them last year but they were out of season. Now they are so I ordered some and just got them today. They are still green and I'm dying for them to ripen. I got 10lbs of them and I'll share some of them to friends and family but I'll probably end up eating most of the 10lbs. I'm so excited.

This is super cool. Can’t wait for the trip report. Might have to order some if you like them.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

So if anyone isn't up on banana history before the 50s the kind of bananas imported were Gros Michel or "Big Mike". Then what's known as Panama Disease wiped them out, it's a fungal disease that rotted the plants from the inside out. Since bananas are all genetically identical they were almost entirely wiped out. The ones we get now are known as Cavendish and are immune to the disease so far.

The Gros Michel ones are supposed to taste like candy, literally. It's the artificial flavor in taffy, runts, etc if you ever wondered why those taste nothing like the Cavendish that we are used to.

I eat a lot of bananas, they are my favorite. Once I found out about the Gros Michel I had to try them. I found a place in Florida that grows them last year but they were out of season. Now they are so I ordered some and just got them today. They are still green and I'm dying for them to ripen. I got 10lbs of them and I'll share some of them to friends and family but I'll probably end up eating most of the 10lbs. I'm so excited.

I just ordered some Gros Michel bananas and some yellow dragonfruit, thanks for the heads up. The prices seemed really high until I realized they included shipping (but it's still a lot more money than getting local fruit). My wife goes through an insane amount of bananas, I hope these aren't TOO good or I'll be fearing for my bank account.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

BraveUlysses posted:

Lmao sloppy seconds leases

They have that already.

https://www.leasetrader.com/

It's fun to peruse for the worst deal imaginable. There's a Corolla out there with a $2000/mth payment available. Only six months remaining!

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Keep an eye out for GT-Rs from Missouri

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Who likes pickles??

I like pickles!

Not sweet ones though gross.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cage posted:

Who likes pickles??

I like pickles!

Love me some dill pickles. I picked up some ground beef to make cheeseburgers on Saturday, and they're gettin' pickles

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Meanwhile, locally, a 2019 Equinox has a higher payment than a 2020 Corolla SE, with 26 months on the Corolla and 37 on the Equinox. :stare: It's the base model LS Equinox too (to be fair, even an LS will still have basic stuff like PW/PL/PM and very likely keyless entry), while the SE is one step below the top of the line Corolla. Corolla has 9k miles on it with 36k allowed, Equinox has 13k with 40k allowed. The Corolla has a bit more wiggle room on mileage per the terms on the lease, going by age anyway (and allowable mileage per month on the lease shown on the website).

I know GM has crazy depreciation, but drat. Equinox is $405/mo, Corolla is $270.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Cage posted:

Who likes pickles??

I like pickles!

That pickle looks like it weighs more than the sandwich.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

MomJeans420 posted:

I just ordered some Gros Michel bananas and some yellow dragonfruit, thanks for the heads up. The prices seemed really high until I realized they included shipping (but it's still a lot more money than getting local fruit). My wife goes through an insane amount of bananas, I hope these aren't TOO good or I'll be fearing for my bank account.

Nice! I want to try the dragonfruit sometime too. The shipping is free over $100 and it's super fast. I ordered them on Saturday they sent them on Tuesday and I got them this morning in CT. They have tons of fruits that I want to try along with all those other kinds of bananas. Next I'm going to get one of the variety boxes with all kinds of different fruits and sometime later in the year the same thing with the banana variety box when more of them are in season.

I'm afraid the same thing might happen as your wife if they are that good I'm going to go broke getting potassium poisoning. I also looked that up but you'd have to eat 43 bananas in a short time for that to happen

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

My mom is looking for a new car but because of my step-dad is insistent on getting a 6 cylinder car because "it will last longer." At this point it's been narrowed down to basically an Avalon or Camry but really I feel like a Prius wouldn't be a bad option. Anyone have thoughts on longterm reliability on the Prius? I imagine it's pretty good being a hybrid where the engine doesn't drive the wheels and they seem to last a long time as taxis?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Goober Peas posted:

At least locally, BMW and MB do a lot of second leases. I'm guessing that keeps residuals up, and their new model lets them charge for features twice.

Wait really? CPO is pretty important for both but that's all sales.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm afraid the same thing might happen as your wife if they are that good I'm going to go broke getting potassium poisoning. I also looked that up but you'd have to eat 43 bananas in a short time for that to happen

She's not quite at that level thankfully, but she likes to freeze them then blend them and it feels like I'm always picking up 3 bunches at the store

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

MomJeans420 posted:

She's not quite at that level thankfully, but she likes to freeze them then blend them and it feels like I'm always picking up 3 bunches at the store

Hah sounds like me, I try to buy as many as I can before people ask questions. One time I was stocking up for a weekend trip and the lady behind me asked if I was making banana bread and I said no I just really like bananas. 3 is the max, 4 raises questions

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Bananas are gross. Plantain supremacy

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

net work error posted:

My mom is looking for a new car but because of my step-dad is insistent on getting a 6 cylinder car because "it will last longer." At this point it's been narrowed down to basically an Avalon or Camry but really I feel like a Prius wouldn't be a bad option. Anyone have thoughts on longterm reliability on the Prius? I imagine it's pretty good being a hybrid where the engine doesn't drive the wheels and they seem to last a long time as taxis?

they're not exciting but very very reliable and get very good fuel economy. check out the real-world data for fuel economy on fuelly

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the prius is like the most reliable car ever made. in addition to the fact that it basically doesn't break, maintenance intervals are pretty long. one of my friends got 100k miles out of the brake pads on his wife's.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wait really? CPO is pretty important for both but that's all sales.

I have a buddy that just leased a 3 year old CPO X5. I didn't ask how much he was paying, but it's 2 years/24k miles. I'm guessing it's probably $400-$500 a month with a couple thousand down.

BMW is also running rebates on their CPO right now
https://cpo.bmwusa.com/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CPO incentives are very normal. It looks like they've been doing CPO leases since 2016, but I'm not sure what the program penetration is.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cage posted:

Who likes pickles??

I like pickles!

Kosher Dills are OK, but Polish Dills are spicy, and therefore, the bomb, as the kids say. Polish Dills are surprisingly hard to find, at least where we normally shop. Fortunately, the local picklery (Best Maid) makes them, so local Krogers carry them.
And :same: on sweet pickles.

The Prong Song posted:

That pickle looks like it weighs more than the sandwich.

This is a problem?

I forgot to cross post ever in here, but I got the garage door opener installed, no problem. I ended up with the lowest model Genie that has WiFi, at $160 with tax. I'm disappointed with the Chamberlain MyQ Garage Hub, as their site says it should be fine with the Genie SilentMax, but when you go to set up in the app, it modifies that with "up to 2016." WTF? Really? And, yeah, it wouldn't pair with the Genie. I had to reinstall the Genie add-on radio I was using with the old opener. On the plus side, that means the two old remotes I have still work, in addition to the new ones. New ones have fantastic range, BTW, at least compared to my old stuff, which struggled to work from the street. The HomeLink in the Subaru (from an '04 Infiniti M45) had no trouble pairing to the new opener using the older rolling code method. So, year old MyQ: 0, 16 year old HomeLink: 1. And the Genie has its own smart app, Aladdin. I pretty much just want the MyQ for Amazon deliveries.
Also: holy crap is this thing quiet. I'm coming from a screw drive that I felt was pretty quiet when it was properly lubed, but this thing is damned near silent. The door itself is louder. a little hum from the motor.
I am chuffed about this purchase.

Got a mess of LEDs coming in today from Amazon to continue fitting out the garage, after I remove the 8' twin tube fluorescent down the middle that has ceased to function recently.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the prius is like the most reliable car ever made. in addition to the fact that it basically doesn't break, maintenance intervals are pretty long. one of my friends got 100k miles out of the brake pads on his wife's.

I have 90k on my Mazda 3 and still have some life left on them, lol.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Charles posted:

I have 90k on my Mazda 3 and still have some life left on them, lol.

Manual transmission? Most the time I'm driving a manual I can pretty much avoid most brake use.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

trouser chili posted:

Manual transmission? Most the time I'm driving a manual I can pretty much avoid most brake use.

Yeah, and I just set cruise control on the freeway a lot / follow the 3 second rule.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I saw a thing on food network or something about a NYC place that just had oak barrels or whatever full of different types of pickles for sale still think about that love pickles

So about Croooober (or however many O's) anyone have anything good or bad to say? I don't see the things I exactly need or want right now but like a steering wheel for an Atrai I have coming is $8 plus $60 shipping...I mean I am not going to order something until it gets here and I am sure I need it but wow

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
2 days till this months disaster guys, better make em count

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

everdave posted:

I saw a thing on food network or something about a NYC place that just had oak barrels or whatever full of different types of pickles for sale still think about that love pickles

So about Croooober (or however many O's) anyone have anything good or bad to say? I don't see the things I exactly need or want right now but like a steering wheel for an Atrai I have coming is $8 plus $60 shipping...I mean I am not going to order something until it gets here and I am sure I need it but wow

Croooooooooooooober is good poo poo, I have some rare weird spec 5x114.3 Watanabes from there in the workshop. They grade stuff honestly and the service generally is spot on. No complaints.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My sister asked me to officiate her wedding!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Croooooooooooooober is good poo poo, I have some rare weird spec 5x114.3 Watanabes from there in the workshop. They grade stuff honestly and the service generally is spot on. No complaints.

Agreed. Spent like $15k there over the past few years. Only one or two "junk" items were actually junk out of 20.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

kastein posted:

Well I found the little critter that’s been burrowing in my back yard, either a vole or mouse. Either way he ran into some uncut grass and I parked the mower on top of him and dropped the height to zero. So if super covid 19 comes out I’ll be patient zero.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

I'm imagining the Cheeto trying to come off even remotely as inspiring as President Pullman.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm imagining the Cheeto trying to come off even remotely as inspiring as President Pullman.

Imagine Cheeto not being a traitor and not siding with the aliens

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

the spyder posted:

Agreed. Spent like $15k there over the past few years. Only one or two "junk" items were actually junk out of 20.

I am seeing wheel sets with tires for a few hundred or less that even with 4-500 shipping are half the price of a comparable set in the US on FB groups. I have no need right now but I feel like I e discovered a secret even though I’ve seen it mentioned over the years here. Like working clusters for $10 plus shipping. Wild!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I just spent WAAAAAY too much on groceries tonight that I don't even need. Both my refrigerators are now completely full, as are my freezers.
I've got 40 lbs of ripe peaches I put in the fridge on Tuesday because I didn't want them to over ripen.
I just bought like $100 worth of charcuterie meats and cheeses.
I've got 2 pork shoulders that need to be cooked like right the gently caress now.
There are 6 leeks and I bought to make potato leek soup with the 20lbs of potatoes I have left. (some of that is gonna make french fries.)

Looks like I'm gonna have a busy long weekend canning fruit, making pulled pork and potato leek soup, while eating charcuterie.

If anyone is willing to drive out my way I'm all too happy to share.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

They have the most tremendous weapons, people say we need those weapons to conquer antifa.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm picturing the aliens forming a telepathic link with him, and either immediately deciding to just leave to preserve their sanity, or all developing dementia.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3931387&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Please do a report on the flavor of big mikes. I've never seen them for sale in Canada.

The whole banana/disease thing and mono-culture is an interesting and cautionary tale. The Cavendish that everyone eats now is also at serious risk to Panama disease (the fungus has mutated and even more aggressive) so scientists are trying to get ahead of it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ahh sure glad i tried to save 35 bucks on a trailer hitch receiver from amazon warehouse...its missing 95% of the hardware to install it :|

the best part is when i try to contact amazon about it, the options presented are: return for free (i'm sure the cost of shipping back is pretty high, it's gotta be 50lbs and required a box 6 ft long) or contact the manufacturer for hardware.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I swear Amazon used to offer partial refunds for poo poo like that but they seem to have completely abandoned it. I've had similar situations where the sane solution is "knock off a few bucks to cover missing parts" but no, they want the whole goddamn thing back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

net work error posted:

You're thinking of the Chevy Volt, where the engine works solely as a generator. On the Prius, the engine does drive the wheels, in tandem with the electric motors. This is true for most hybrids.

That said, there's nothing wrong with any of the cars you listed. They're all solid. The Camry will scoot a bit better and have better mileage vs the Avalon (same engine, Avalon weighs a bit more), though the V6 they're using is nothing to sneeze at in either of them. Hell, the 4 cylinder they use in today's Camry today puts out more horsepower than the V6 they used to use in the early 00s Camry and Avalons, with highway mileage being rated at 41 mpg (city is 29, mixed is 34). I can vouch for the 4 cylinder Camry scooting decent (it won't win a drag race, but it's plenty quick); the V6 Camry is downright fast - it runs a ~14.4 second quarter mile.

The Prius is basically the most reliable Toyota you can get without going to a Lexus LS series, but it's also one of the most boring cars. The mileage difference between a 4 cylinder Camry and a Prius really isn't that huge these days (unless all of your driving is city driving, in which case there's a big difference), and a Camry is going to be a bit quicker. FWIW, I have a friend that's taken two of them well past 300k with no mechanical work outside of the typical master cylinder/brake accumulator issue that plagued them in the mid-late 00s. The 2006 needed a lot of stuff, but none of it super critical (motor mounts, bushings, that kind of stuff). Still drove fine except it was eating CV joints as snacks. The 2018 he now has (his 3rd Prius) is about to break 200k, and has only been to the shop for regular maintenance. I think he finally replaced the brake pads for the first time recently...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 3, 2020