Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Elviscat posted:

Pretty easy, set the parking brake, rev the engine to the redline, and drop it into gear.

This works, but only so many times until the expensive parts of your transmission decide to be elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Whoa we're half way there.

Jesus gently caress this year has been hard. It's loving terrifying how seriously nobody is taking the pandemic over here. We're all doomed.

Pretty sure my wife is going to want to continue with the August holiday we booked in Jan, I kind of don't blame her because she's going stir crazy having no time to herself, no excuse to leave the house and having to school the kids while I'm swanning off to work every day. The idea terrifies me though.

Where are you planning to go?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

So my wife and I saw a dude out in public carrying a ventriloquist dummy. Dude had a mask on, dummy had a fedora but I got the feeling the dude wished it were the reverse.

That's the beauty of normalizing masks. Anyone can be a ventriloquist!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cage posted:

Who likes pickles??

I like pickles!

Not sweet ones though gross.

Love me some dill pickles. I picked up some ground beef to make cheeseburgers on Saturday, and they're gettin' pickles

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

We got up on a rooftop in brooklyn with my wife's coworkers and watched fireworks going up all around us. It was pretty chill.

Oh yeah, I did a 3 hour bike ride this morning. 25-ish miles, circumnavigating Manhattan north of 30th st. That's an aggressive distance for me, so I basically snoozed all afternoon while my legs ached.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 5, 2020

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

The nice(?) thing about COVID deniers is that it's getting more and more likely that the problem will solve itself.

I wish, but it isn't that simple. The common COVID denier risks spreading the disease to more places, increasing infection rates among the general population. COVID deniers in positions of power make harmful decisions that hurt all of us, not just other deniers.

It's like if you were on a ship that was on fire, but ~20% of the crew decided that the fire is fake and overstated. It's fun to think that they might simply burn up, but instead they're pushing burning deck chairs to other decks where the fire was previously contained, and the captain and officers keep threatening to shut off the fire suppression systems because they're making everybody wet. You can't get off the ship. There are no lifeboats.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm staying in a hotel in New Jersey and the wifi is inexplicable. Every ~20 minutes it will get into a state where my laptop believes it is connected, but it won't route my packets off of the network. Like, I can't even ping a server whose IP address I know by heart, it's just immediate request timeout. But if I switch from the regular guest network to the 5G guest network or vice versa, it's good for another ~20 minutes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Fuuuuuuck I'm on support this week at work so I don't get to focus but I do get to be a week behind where I want to be in my projects!

If Only There Was Some Way Of Predicting This It's every five weeks, and it always happens in the same order, maybe learn to recognize patterns dumbass

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Two coworkers, found in hydrogen tank dead about 90 minutes ago. Probable timeline is one went in for service work, for some reason things went sideways and the other guy tried to help him.

Ah Jesus, I'm sorry to hear that. At least it was only two.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

Tangentially related in that this stuff can fill up a NAS pretty quick, are there any free versions of video editing software that you guys recommend that are newbie friendly?

I've been using Shotcut -- https://shotcut.org/ . It's free and open source, but there are a lot of good tutorials on Youtube and whatnot.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

jammyozzy posted:

I have a pi4 set up as a proof of concept Plex/Linux ISO box. It works fine direct streaming 720p/1080p content to my TV, but absolutely dies on its arse trying to transcode anything, like thermal throttling within 30 seconds bad.

If you only want to use it locally and can guarantee that every single thing you'd want to stream won't need transcoding, it will probably work fine. Otherwise use something else.

Do you have a heatsink/fan on yours?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

There's a thread about walking across urban areas, so it'll play.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Elviscat posted:

There are unreliable bikes, and there are bikes you will never be able to actually ride because they are always broken.

Do not buy a bike that makes KTM, Husqvarna, Triumph and Ducati look like paragons of reliability.

Plus the bike sucks at everything but being pretty.

Save yourself some pain, and buy a Lada or a Yugo, import a Daihatsu, get a Ural, anything but that Enfield.

Reliability might possibly be worse than a Chinese made scooter.

Counterpoint: do what makes you happy. If you like the Royal Enfield styling and you don't want to pay $ural, get a Royal Enfield and resign yourself to replacing parts on it a couple times a season.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Based on a Mean Time to Engine Failure of 300 miles, my cross-country motorcycle trip would have taken a mere 23 engines.

That's why you stage caches of supplies spare motorbikes along your route in advance.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yikes, I went from Inbox 0 at work to Inbox Very Many. I'm gonna spend this morning getting back down to 0.

edit: boom. that was easy. Once I got to, like, early July I just started archiving everything. Only 31 unread postmortems.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 20, 2020

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I just opened a 50 pack of microfiber towels from Amazon, and I love how they didn't waste space shipping air.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It'll evaporate if you leave the windows down. Hell, it's the middle of summer, I bet it's dry by this evening.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I missed the one mini-HDMI to HDMI cable I have ever owned (and subsequently lost between 2013 and now) the other day when I tried setting up a new Raspberry Pi. Eventually I figured out I could re-flash the SD card with SSH enabled.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

When my cat wants attention during the day while I'm working, he's learned he can get it by popping up between my legs and clawing my inner thigh. I'm not a fan, but it's hard to ignore him when he does that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Jesus fuckin' yikes. I hope it blows over to being just anxiety, STR.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

https://torrentfreak.com/private-internet-access-to-be-acquired-by-kape/

The company that bought out PIA has done some shady poo poo in the past. Avoid IMO. Roll your own with streisand or algovpn if you can.

Oh wow, Streisand looks really complete out of the box. I'm gonna have to mess with it over the weekend!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I misspoke a little.

It's actually a money saving move, we justify our existence each year at my current job by quantifying that we saved $xxx,xxx dollars over a dedicated team of engineers and techs at each location, it's pretty cool for me since we're empowered to make a lot of decisions normally left to people with high-falutin degrees.

This is just for support systems, mind, everything nuclear/powertrain related has a very robust team of engineers, who act as liaisons for the eggheads out in Pennsylvania/New York that design all that poo poo.

I'm curious -- what system were you called in to unfuck? The last company I worked for once sent me to board a merchant ship anchored in the gulf of mexico because a coworker knocked out their #1 GPS while retrofitting their ECDIS with a data logger. It was a whole big thing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

After going through two Raspberry Pis and two camera modules, I finally have what every man has always wanted: grainy security camera footage of the East River!

(check out the tug boat in the lower left corner!)

I installed an open source program that detects movement and posts those images with differences to a local webserver. I'm also running a mesh VPN so I can check it from my cell phone.

The first raspberry pi had this weird behavior where any image larger than about 300x200 would be glitched. It was almost like the raw image data was being written to some hardware chip, and that was defective. Other than that, it's a great little Raspberry Pi. Not sure what to do with it; maybe just use it as a home Kubernetes lab?

Regarding the camera, next steps are:
- build a light blocking hood and angle the camera to the left of the office building
- replace it with one of the Raspberry Pi High Quality cameras with a C-mount lens so I can focus more on the river (the ultimate goal is to watch the boats going by)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Wyze outdoor cam will do this in HD for like $40.

oh... apparently you have to order a "starter bundle" before you can order additional cameras? Hrm...
https://wyze.com/wyze-cam-outdoor.html

Eh, I didn't want Wyze, I wanted to roll my own crap. That way I know how it works and if I accidentally email naked pictures of myself to Tajikistan it's my own drat fault.

Edit: also if I want I can write nginx rules and build an irc bot that will get the last picture of a boat. It's stupid, but I really like building things.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

They are plasti dipped blue tho so I'm gonna have to clean that poo poo off :v:

WD-40 makes plasti-dip super soft and easy to scrape off.