Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hello July. June was good. May has been good. Summer is here; our state caught on fire Saturday night and even though there were 30MPH winds with gusts up to 40-50mph the heavens were merciful and there was an absolute deluge of rain for like two days - super weird for July and everything got under control.

Closed out June at the office and we outsold last year June by a very large margin which was welcomed. Be safe and stuff, wear your masks. This is not a big ask and I don't get why some are having such a challenge with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Darchangel posted:

"Mah freedoms!" - idiots who don't understand science or medicine. So, you know, Trump supporters. It's funny (funny weird, not funny like you're a clown) how they are harming *themselves (as well as others) by being *selfish*.

Around here it is not even that. Plenty of "conservatives" are complying without issue. It is the ones that are weird about it that I am just not getting.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

BMW keeps doing things that increase the value of older BMWs like mine. So keep on keeping on.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

kastein posted:

2 days till this months disaster guys, better make em count

Well I found the little critter that’s been burrowing in my back yard, either a vole or mouse. Either way he ran into some uncut grass and I parked the mower on top of him and dropped the height to zero. So if super covid 19 comes out I’ll be patient zero.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Today I am doing the work of three of us because one is out of town and the other is not feeling well (NOT COVID) on our busiest day of the week.

Summation: :tif:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I think I've mostly recovered from my breakdown and bout of sad brains but I just wanted to reiterate that I fuckin hate Tavarish

lol how did he hurt you? For what it is worth I rarely watch anything from him. I see him when he does collab stuff on other channels but he seems alright as a person. He is still lightyears ahead of Demuro

Guilty pleasure? I watch Hoovies Garage. Pretty much every video, though now I find myself skipping ahead through slow bits.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've been in the market for a smoker and have narrowed it down to a Kamado Joe or Traeger pellet smoker. Both are about the same price.

I love the ease of use with the pellet smoker, but the kamado is much more substantial and versatile. I've seen videos comparing them smoking and they both do a really good job, not much of a difference in taste and texture it seems.

Anyone have either or both of these?

This is my third or fourth year since I bought my Traeger. I bought the smallest one they had from one of their Costco "Roadshow special" things they do, it was $350 and came with the cover. I bought the little one to determine if I would use it that much, if I would be any good at it, and if I liked it. I like it a lot. I have smoked hundreds of pounds of meat by this point and have probably put 800 pounds of pellets through it. I want to eventually get a larger one. Costco sells pork ribs in a 3 rack cryopack and I can barely fit the three racks in my grill. I need to find the smaller packs. I generally cook ribs, pork should (both bone in and boneless), whole chickens, briskets, I have done chicken legs, turkeys and chuck roasts. I have cooked in the middle of winter overnight with outside temps of 20 degrees F, some smokes have taken ~14 hours. I have used only the Traeger brand of pellets.

you are on the right track of the simplicity of use. Think of it as a crock pot for bbq.

The Traeger has been great for what I paid for it and the use I have gotten out of it. I am about ready to get a new grill, I don't think I will be specifically sold on a Traeger but will check out other models. Things I would suggest would be ones that have a burn pot that can be easily cleaned out. I have to take out the grill rack, drip pan, and heat shield and have to vacuum out the ash/dust. Something easier to clean out would be nice. I want one with a bigger pellet hopper. One that could hold a 20 pound bag would be great. Having to be tied to your smoker somewhat when doing a longer cook kind of sucks. After you use it enough you know how long you can go between adding pellets/checking on it. I will also get one with a hopper that has little trap door so I can empty the hopper and change the pellets to a different flavor. Blue tooth connectivity and all that I can do without. I spent ~$35 on a thermometer with a wireless thing to monitor it from inside. The grills themselves seem to regulate heat temps pretty good.

The Cabelas brand smokers are actually relabeled green mountain grills which you can usually pick up on sale for mega discounts of like $100 off or more so that could be an option. A friend has one and it is real nice. Without budget concerns I would buy a Yoder YS480 or a YS640. I kind of keep fighting myself on upgrading because the Yoder is what I want, and $1600 is kind of a lot to spend on a smoker. I have a Weber natural gas grill that is a pretty nice unit that was ~$1400 and having $3000 worth of cooking equipment just sitting in my back yard seems a bit excessive. I don't think the Yoder will make my smoking experience/results that much better than what I am currently getting.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Mustache Ride posted:

Master bath after 6 months:

Second bath after 7 months:

Where is the the recessed bath tub and river rock bedding? You didn't even post pics of your floor joists. If you had done that this would be a 5/7

Siochain posted:

I'd still love a Kamado style grill - ideally I'd have my traeger, a good gas grill, and a Kamado. But all 3 fill different niches. BBQ is great for after-work banging off a meal. The smoker is the weekend treat toy, which a Kamado would be as well.
I've likely gone through 200lbs of pellets in a few months. The burn pot is a little bit of a pain to get to, but I just pull apart and deep-clean the smoker every time I need to clean that out - so far, my Traeger looks basically new. The Yoder's are good as well, and I know others are likely just as good.

bolded to agree here. I could in theory live with just a Traeger but cookin up some burgs on the Weber gas grill is just too easy and good. My Weber is a natural gas grill hooked to the house so I am not dealing with cylinders that need exchanging and even in winter months I can still get it to 650 degrees. In summer months it will get to 675 and glow red when you open it up.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

STR posted:

Grindr is useless once you're over 25. Unless you're chasing grandpas.

This has got to be a thread title in the future.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

STR posted:

"Nobody over 25 unless they have magic underpants"

:colbert:

(okay, that might have been a bit below the belt...)

:wink:
:wmwink:

As a full on Mo' anyone that complains about masks being uncomfortable to wear you are getting zero sympathy from me. Wear you friggin masks.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

God bless to all of you selling/buying houses right now. Inventory is a mess. My brother in law is a sellers agent for a pretty big home builder here in Utah and has been making kegfulls of cash for a few years. What does it mean when a builder can't even deal with making spec homes? You are either signing up to build a home that will be completed 9-12 months out or you are spending way too much on a house that needs a ton of work. Good luck finding a decent contractor who you can trust and can finish in some sort of reasonable time frame. Up until maybe the last year or so I would have said the best option for buying a home in Metropolitan Utah was to build and buy new. Now the best option is to not sell your house and stay put. Houses are now trading hands person to person, essentially without realtors. Two people in my neighborhood are under contract and they didn't even officially list the house. It was a passing comments to a few people on both parts and someone contacted them, they worked out a price and that is that.

New challenges with work stuff. The pandemic has shown how critical our infrastructure is for shipping and transportation. If any one of the main three/four courier services was to shut down it truly spell disaster. USPS is bursting. What used to take two or three days for delivery is now five days. FedEx is now starting to show signs of fatigue and weakness. When this all began they stated they would be suspending a "guaranteed" service with Express but they were hitting their dates with ease. Now their 3 day stuff is taking four or five days. That is the first I have seen it. One of our suppliers shipping out of Ontario California is now getting delays from FedEx Ground for pickups. They are piling up invoiced orders that are sitting for two days at a time before FedEx is even picking stuff up.

This is just getting crazy. People with jobs have money and need to spend it somewhere. People with the 'Rona stimulus have definitely been spending it on consumer goods. This has been a weird couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Humphreys posted:

I'm playing around on the PPQ site for new things... and this is legit available - including the custom bottom text. I've experimented with teh text and its only blocking simple swears

This also works

Are you trying to get on Brown Cardigan's insta? Because this is how you get there.