Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, this year is full of the suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Brought some second hand Yamaha HI FI system speakers yesterday.

And yup, one of them is blown. And the seller has been quiet as a mouse since then.

Partly my fault, he did demonstrate them to me, I should have got him to adjust the balance

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

taqueso posted:

How are they blown? Redoing the foam surround is fairly common

Did some testing and found the tweeter is completely dead. I have contacted the seller of the speakers to see what happens next. Problem is it needs a 5 Ohm tweeter, and I can only find 4 or 8 Ohm tweeters in my country.

The woofers aren't looking too tidy, the cap bit in the middle of the woofers have been pushed in. If the seller doesn't get back to me I might just give up and buy another set.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That sucks.
You could probably replace it with a 6 ohm speaker and be fine but you should replace both speakers so they at least sound the same.
What model speakers are they?

The dust cap in the woofers being crushed won't affect the sound at all. It also might not be the speaker, it could be the crossover.
How are you with electronics and how interested are you in trying to fix this?

They are Yamaha NS-50f speakers.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

First swap the tweeter from the dead speaker to the good one and report back. That will at least tell you if it's the tweeter or the crossover.
You could do it the other way around but it's not recommended in case there's a problem with the bad speaker's crossover that damaged the tweeter in the first place.

I've done the battery test on the tweeter and it isn't responding.

LloydDobler posted:

Ohm rating is much less critical on tweeters than woofers, as they don't draw massive amounts of current. You should be fine with 4 ohm unless you're planning to drive them really, really hard.
Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can get some similar sized tweeters to fit it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

loving city is locked down for 6 weeks thanks to fuckwits who thought that Covid was over when the restrictions were loosen slightly about 4 weeks ago. This time they are harsher than the original lockdown laws, back then you could have one visitor at your house, this time it is a big fat zero.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I still find the idea of HOAs hilarious since the most common thing heard from the US is "MAH FREEDOMS"

Sure there are body corporates in Australia, but that's usually for a block of units, not for whole blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Masks are going to be mandatory for most of my state starting after 11:59pm on Wednesday. $200 if you are seen in the public if you don't wear one without an exemption.

Cue some shithead tinpot lawyer firm in another state that is also well know for defending anti-vaxxers to post on Facebook saying to hire them so they can take each fine to court.