Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

posting smiling
the new "nancy" strip from olivia jaimes has driven demand for youth focused strips in the funny pages. the syndication companies are rich with old comic ip but they need artists to modernize the concepts. that's why they've tapped byob. as a youth oriented online message board it's the perfect place to develop cutting edge humor concepts that will draw young eyes to the newspaper again and we will save the local news industry.

how it works: post itt to receive your assignment. i will choose a random comic strip and link you the wikipedia article. using what you learn in the article, modernize the strip concept. post an example strip itt. if you need to do a multi part story you can post multiple strips as long as you remember that nobody likes it when comic strips do that. if you post your strip on sunday it has to be in color.

example exchange:

me: i volunteer to save the local newspaper industry

me: your strip is frankie doodle

me:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posting smiling
thinking about how hard this is hitting for the guys who read frankie doodle back in the day...

posting smiling

nut posted:

here 2 report 4 duty

your strip is "always belittlin'" by percy crosby

posting smiling

your comic strip is wright angles by larry wright. this one doesn't have a wikipedia article so i'm just linking the google search

posting smiling

Manifisto posted:

put me in, coach!

your comic is backbench

posting smiling

it's time for you to save dream of the rarebit fiend by winsor mccay

posting smiling

it's a really long wikipedia article. don't beat yourself up if you can't include every detail in your reimagining.

posting smiling

Heather Papps posted:

trying to figure out what wright angles is even about and this comic is giving me pause

seems a lot like garfield to me

posting smiling

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

gimme comic thanks!

your comic is priscilla's pop by al vermeer

posting smiling

the boys at syndication are passing on a warning. don't get too political with the cat stuff.

meanwhile, they loved my frankie doodle stuff. they said they would order a whole week of them.

posting smiling

Luvcow posted:

i'm not sure if i did this right but i tried my best to get that youth appeal

hearing a hushed murmur of approval come back from syndication after i sent this one up the pneumatic tube for approval

posting smiling

Plant MONSTER. posted:

give me a easy one

i don't have any say in who gets what strip. there's a computer system for that. all automated these days. however, you did get a well known one. rex morgan md by nicholas p dallis

posting smiling

are you signing up cda? syndication is starting to worry that byob doesn't have the work ethic they were lead to believe. they're starting to say we're spending more time reading the comics than producing them. and if my numbers don't come up, i don't get paid. if i don't get paid, there are no comics. because comics need ink. and ink ain't cheap.

posting smiling

magic cactus posted:

i'm just a poor newspaper intern with MS paint. can i still get a strip?

you've been paired with napoleon by foster moore. no article on this one, so you'll have to reverse engineer it from this image

posting smiling

owlhawk911 posted:

what is my comic

you get the "in" kids by pat boyer

posting smiling

this strip is having difficulty finding papers that will run it, but i'm fighting for it in every meeting i'm in. i'm saying "find me a paper that will run owlhawk's strip or i walk."

posting smiling

the new rex morgan is doing big numbers in initial focus testing groups. audiences cited his no-nonsense approach to medicine as one appealing aspect of the strip, and further went on to say "in these trying times".

posting smiling

cda posted:

I didn't intend to sign up but sometimes fate has plans for us that we know not of, so hit me with one

it's ok. i'm not asking for a big commitment from you. i just need you to adopt a wayward strip. graft it into your life like a new organ in your body. live it, breathe it, and produce 7 strips a week for the next 40 years. until your sense of humor, your worldview, and every wry observation on every day life that you have ever had have been wrung out of you 3 times over, seeping into the american subconcious like ink on newsprint. and at the end of it the nation will hate you. they will throw you on the trash pile with garfield and cathy. unwanted and unappreciated and put out to pasture like the last schmuck who wrote this strip. and the strip is sky masters by dave wood and jack kirby.

posting smiling

Finger Prince posted:

I have my finger on the pulse of youth because I am a pediatric nurse and I'm sorry to say they are dying and only through the power of newspaper funny pages can they be revived. I volunteer my services.

your can-do attitude has earned you a crack at young hobby club by cappy dick. very little is known about this strip, so don't expect this to be an easy nut to crack.

posting smiling

syndication just called me out of bed at 3 am for an emergency meeting. they're pulling you off of backbench. they said "it was a mistake to put manifisto on backbench. he's a wildcard, and a provacateur." they are reassigning you to the home front by frank adams.

posting smiling

City of Glompton posted:

hello classicist i would like to participate please thank you

you have been giving the exciting opportunity to work with the drago ip from burne hogarth.

posting smiling

Heather Papps posted:

altered angles is about a man traveling the psychoverse, ever changing from the man who trips he's a cat and the cat who imagines he's a man

this new direction for the strip is resonating with a number of high-value demographics. the animated strips are more expensive to print, but syndication told me "if these analytics are accurate, we don't care what it costs to print the drat thing." lol they love analytics over in syndication.

posting smiling

google THIS posted:

That which has been vamped, I offer to vamp again

you're being tasked with sweeney & son by al posen.

posting smiling
i'm down at the presses this morning to see that the first batch of funnies comes out a-ok. the presses are really howling and comics are up up up. everyone here is in good spirits. even some of the newspaper accountants in the little green visors, who are usually posessed of such a cloudy disposition had a smile on their face this morning. hear that? it's print news starting to heal.

posting smiling

lol

posting smiling

Fredrik1 posted:

I'm both hip and cool and modern, down with the gen-xrs. give me something old and stale

please take good care of peaches, queen of the universe by sam hurt

posting smiling
thank you for the sticky. tell all your friends about the work we are doing here.

posting smiling

alexandriao posted:

i wasnt aware this was a place for..... "yewth", but i guess so huh

im in!!!

see if you can come up with anything for mandrake the magician by lee falk.

posting smiling

orwell has been thoroughly lampooned. syndication approves!

posting smiling

owlhawk911 posted:

i appreciate that. i'm proud to be working with you to help rejuvenate the funny pages. should we cast a wide net (give me another comic) or really mine this vein (adopt 'the in kids', graft it into my life like a new organ in my body, live it, breathe it, produce 7 strips a week for the next 40 years until my sense of humor, my worldview, and every wry observation on every day life that i have ever had have been wrung out of me 3 times over)

the choice is yours. in one hand i am offering you the "in" kids and all the burden that its knowledge will entail. but you can still back out. in the other hand i am offering tom and jerry, a simple two dimensional comic strip about a cartoon cat. the choice is yours. (red pill blue pill situation)

posting smiling

vanisher posted:

please assign me a job boss!

your aptitudes make you a perfect fit for professor phumble by bill yates.

posting smiling

Fredrik1 posted:

I know it's not technically the correct comic but I think we can rebrand the eyebeam character

google THIS posted:

Guys I think I messed up I did the wrong strip by the same cartoonist and I'm not sure if this is the correct youth angle I forgot the assignment I'm sorry I hosed up

...or did I?

whether or not something is the right comic or wrong comic is immaterial. all the people from back then are dead now. as for the content of the strips, the beer stuff is not being well received (seltzer is in this season). the fish blowjob on the other hand is a certified hit and is getting a lot of play in the alt weeklies.

posting smiling

vanisher posted:

All I could find were endless comics that made the same joke about how women were inferior what a wild ride

e: actually now I'm going to rewrite one completely so it makes it seem the opposite

that's a big part of the reason we've been asked to do this. bill yates got cancelled, as has every cartoonist circa 1909-1992.

posting smiling

Doctor Dogballs posted:

this is right my alley so I will volunteer to help rejuvenate the funky pages but I most definitely won't be able to do it until the weekend

start getting yourself familiarized with axa by enrique badia romero and don avenell.

posting smiling

Pahilla the Hun posted:

i would like to have a go, apologies in advance for my entry

your new life's work is willie and joe by bill mauldin.

posting smiling

syndication is making big plans for this strip. they said it could "reawaken the american youths' love for the stem fields" whatever that means.

posting smiling

nice work. we're putting this strip right underneath jet's fish blowjob strip, which syndication is calling "a powerful synergistic pairing".

posting smiling

syndication is making some quick gear shifts after seeing the initial response to this strip. they described the themes of drug legalization and home ownership as the two prongs of their "strategy fork" and they showed us this powerpoint slide.

posting smiling

syndication is up my rear end asking me how this fits into the content fork. does droopy own this farm co-op? does he intend to cultivate the giant rubber rear end as a drug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posting smiling

owlhawk911 posted:

droopy is a simple dog. he sees his master labeling that which he holds dear and wishes to emulate this practice. the joke is that his most treasured possession is a giant rubber rear end, and that this shocks his master

perhaps i should have stuck with 'the in kids'. i do not feel i truly "get" tom and jerry

there is no such comic strip as the "in" kids. that was a dream you had! stop trying to remember! the only comic strip you know is tom and jerry.