Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Would you like to play a one-shot classic dungeon crawl, using Discord Voice and Foundry VTT? Would you be willing to fill out a short survey afterwards? I'm going to run 5 sessions with 4 to 6 players each, with different rules (and dungeons) each time.

I want to write a review for Fatal and Friends comparing a few different systems, and how well they handle the classic Dungeon Crawl - a group of adventurers enter a labyrinth, deal with monsters and traps, and try to escape with treasure. But a big part of that is actually, you know, running the games and seeing how they feel as both a GM and a player (hence, the survey afterwards). My intentions are to run these games as semi-random and deadly, but not maliciously so. Won't be aiming to kill PCs, but I'm planning to let the dice land as they may and not be particularly worried about balancing the encounters. Full disclosure, this would be my first time running a dungeon crawl in any of these systems.

To be clear, I'm not asking people to commit to playing in every session. If you are only interested in playing KNAVE or D&D, that's perfectly fine! I want players to be interested in using the system, or at least open-minded about it. The point is an honest and good-faith attempt to interact with the rules in each system in the specific context of a crawl. Also, I encourage people to share their experiences and give their thoughts, but I'd like to keep things civil. I'm happy to have people use this thread to discuss. Please, please, please don't have an edition war in this thread.

We'll be using the default character generation rules for each system - level 1, 0 XP, brand new characters. If the rules call for random generation, I'll be working on the honor system. Feel free to use Orokos if you want to show your work. If there's a particular system you want to play, go ahead and express interest, but I'm only opening recruitment once I know when I'm holding the session. I'm running another game on a regular schedule and I don't want to over-extend myself, so these games will be happening when I feel up to it. I'm aiming for a two hour long session at least every other week.

Game Systems and Sessions
Into The Odd - 7/9/2020, 6pm EST
KNAVE - TBD
Dungeons & Dragons 5e - TBD
Pathfinder 2e - TBD
Warhammer Fantasy Role Playing 4e - TBD

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Into The Odd - The Forsaken Laboratory

You stand in front of an ancient door far below Bastion. According to rumors and stories, inside are numerous alchemical materials and ancient texts, but they're guarded by strange elemental creatures and deadly magical traps. You all are inexperienced Novices, but even the Masters started somewhere...

Follow the standard character creation rules provided here. Provide some character art if you'd like to use it for your token, otherwise I'll take care of it. This dungeon has an arcane theme, so WILL may be more valuable than usual. The session will be on Thursday, July 9th from 6pm to 8pm EST. I'll be hosting the Foundry session and we'll be using one of the voice chat channels on the Traditional Games discord. I'll talk to the moderators if you don't have access, but I'm not part of the leadership of that Discord. If it's a problem, I have alternative options available.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Also, when I say the survey is short, I mean it's probably going to be these questions:

How long did it take for you to make a character?

Was making a character fun, engaging, or exciting? (Yes/No)

Did you enjoy the game session? (Yes/No)

Do you think the rules contributed or detracted from your experience? (Contributed/Detracted)

Are there any additional thoughts you'd like to share?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

I'm willing to give it a go.

Raul Winters

bio -an incorrigible gambler, with an affinity for "finding" lost items.

Attributes (Ability score rolls: 3#3d6 10 13 9)
Strength 10
Dexterity 13
Will 9
Hit Points 4 (Hit Points: 1d6 4)

Starting Equipment
Musket(d8)
Portable Ram
Game Set

is there much difference between a 9 and a 10? or should I move my 13 to Will?

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 1, 2020

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

I'm in, working on details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Mykkel posted:

is there much difference between a 9 and a 10? or should I move my 13 to Will?
No, not really. Whenever you're doing something risky you roll a d20 against your attribute score, so you'll succeed with Strength 50% of the time, and succeed with Will 45% of the time. As for moving your 13 to Will, it's up to you. Right now your character is really good at sneaking, climbing, and picking locks, but is going to have a bit more trouble translating ancient languages and identifying unknown chemicals. All three of the attributes are so broad that they're important in their own ways.