Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah, that's the only upside: Biden will likely find a place for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That Works posted:

SA warned that reddit was pedos.

:reddit:

CEOS KNEW

https://twitter.com/maelfyn/status/1280875485350723584

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's just not something she would do.

Spend time with a chudly ring of pedophilia?

:thunk:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

That Works posted:

Spend time with a chudly ring of pedophilia?

:thunk:

There are millions of redditors doing that. The guy obsessively posting links and never commenting is not doing anything that would feed Ghislaine's damage. She likes direct control of real people.

That one is real. Pao lost a long lawsuit against KP last year, that tweet was clearly her attempt to drag them, but she just didn't see how it implicated her. in the years after that party she went on to sit on the board.

It's an extremely rich Californian thing to have - and even more to accept other rich Californians having - "unconventional relationships," often open marriages involving younger women you have social power over.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 8, 2020

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

One thing to remember is all the Ghislane Maxwell stuff is that she started out as one of his underage victims so her thinking is going to be severely hosed

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Corona for thee and not for me.

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1280859058258542599

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Doc Hawkins posted:

There are millions of redditors doing that. The guy obsessively posting links and never commenting is not doing anything that would feed Ghislaine's damage. She likes direct control of real people.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Epstein/co...utm_name=iossmf

How's this one grab you then

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

RFC2324 posted:

One thing to remember is all the Ghislane Maxwell stuff is that she started out as one of his underage victims so her thinking is going to be severely hosed

He was only 8 years older than she and they met in their 30s.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

aaaanyways she's gonna get suicided so

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Stultus Maximus posted:

oops, I must have confused her for one of the other ones talked about when all his poo poo was being dug up, my bad

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

RFC2324 posted:

I thought so too, but no.

It's Nadia Marcinko (the pilot) that we were thinking of instead.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

joat mon posted:

I thought so too, but no.

It's Nadia Marcinko (the pilot) that we were thinking of instead.

that is a whole network of hosed that is taking way too long to unearth(wonder why )

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, she was definitely a victim of her father and/or his friends first.

Force de Fappe posted:

aaaanyways she's gonna get suicided so

Just like her father! Though he didn't die in jail, it was on the yacht he had named after her.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Pretty sure more people favor than oppose M4A

Not the ones signing the checks unfortunately

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Also that's not loving Maxwell's account, Reddit is full of morons

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Reddit is the Fredo Association of the Internet.

"I'M SMAHT! I WUZ PASSED OVAH!"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Reddit is the Fredo Association of the Internet.

"I'M SMAHT! I WUZ PASSED OVAH!"

I CAN HANDLE THINGS, I'M SMAHT! NOT LIKE EVERYONE SAYS, LIKE DUMB!! I'M SMART, AND I WANT RESPECT!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Pretty sure more people favor than oppose M4A

yeah but the Democrats dont want those people to vote

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can somebody repost the link to the virologist that was shared a few times in the monthly CE threads? I simply can't find it again :(

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

(Batman voice) “welcome to hell”
https://mobile.twitter.com/THR/status/1280916637663690752

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

From the crack Reddit investigative team that successfully identified and doxxed 17 of the two Boston bombers (two Boston bombers not included)

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

This will be literary garbage.

And I’ll get high and listen to the audiobook.

That’s how Ready Player One is best experienced.

Stoned audiobook format.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Torrannor posted:

Can somebody repost the link to the virologist that was shared a few times in the monthly CE threads? I simply can't find it again :(

This guy?

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Stoned audiobook format.

Definitely gonna be Wil Wheaton narrating again. And there will be a clever “own” of the first book’s critics.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Yes, thank you!

https://twitter.com/CharlieCookDC/status/1280840910591459333

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

These are the same idiots who were trumpeting Hildog's victory from the rooftops before she lost.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/1280918301997236224?s=20

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Definitely gonna be Wil Wheaton narrating again. And there will be a clever “own” of the first book’s critics.

Oh for sure.

The book is completely beyond redemption, it’s sequel is gonna be hooking the sewer line right into your book veins.

It’ll still be fun for me, I hate to admit. But again, only as an audiobook. And with THC.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Best Friends posted:

From the crack Reddit investigative team that successfully identified and doxxed 17 of the two Boston bombers (two Boston bombers not included)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpikNCoa8Yw

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I tried to read RPO. I tried the Audio Book.
It was just so badly written i couldn't get into it. It was soulless written trope-y poop.
Movie was worse.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Reminder that Dan Patrick was the one who went on TV and claimed he was ready to command an army of boomers willing to sacrifice themselves to save the economy :jerkbag:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That reminds me: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/business/sweden-economy-coronavirus.html

quote:

Sweden Has Become the World’s Cautionary Tale
Its decision to carry on in the face of the pandemic has yielded a surge of deaths without sparing its economy from damage — a red flag as the United States and Britain move to lift lockdowns.

LONDON — Ever since the coronavirus emerged in Europe, Sweden has captured international attention by conducting an unorthodox, open-air experiment. It has allowed the world to examine what happens in a pandemic when a government allows life to carry on largely unhindered.

This is what has happened: Not only have thousands more people died than in neighboring countries that imposed lockdowns, but Sweden’s economy has fared little better.

“They literally gained nothing,” said Jacob F. Kirkegaard, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington. “It’s a self-inflicted wound, and they have no economic gains.”

The results of Sweden’s experience are relevant well beyond Scandinavian shores. In the United States, where the virus is spreading with alarming speed, many states have — at President Trump’s urging — avoided lockdowns or lifted them prematurely on the assumption that this would foster economic revival, allowing people to return to workplaces, shops and restaurants.

In Britain, Prime Minister Boris Johnson — previously hospitalized with Covid-19 — reopened pubs and restaurants last weekend in a bid to restore normal economic life.

Implicit in these approaches is the assumption that governments must balance saving lives against the imperative to spare jobs, with the extra health risks of rolling back social distancing potentially justified by a resulting boost to prosperity. But Sweden’s grim result — more death, and nearly equal economic damage — suggests that the supposed choice between lives and paychecks is a false one: A failure to impose social distancing can cost lives and jobs at the same time.

Sweden put stock in the sensibility of its people as it largely avoided imposing government prohibitions. The government allowed restaurants, gyms, shops, playgrounds and most schools to remain open. By contrast, Denmark and Norway opted for strict quarantines, banning large groups and locking down shops and restaurants.

More than three months later, the coronavirus is blamed for 5,420 deaths in Sweden, according to the World Health Organization. That might not sound especially horrendous compared with the more than 129,000 Americans who have died. But Sweden is a country of only 10 million people. Per million people, Sweden has suffered 40 percent more deaths than the United States, 12 times more than Norway, seven times more than Finland and six times more than Denmark.

The elevated death toll resulting from Sweden’s approach has been clear for many weeks. What is only now emerging is how Sweden, despite letting its economy run unimpeded, has still suffered business-destroying, prosperity-diminishing damage, and at nearly the same magnitude of its neighbors.

Sweden’s central bank expects its economy to contract by 4.5 percent this year, a revision from a previously expected gain of 1.3 percent. The unemployment rate jumped to 9 percent in May from 7.1 percent in March. “The overall damage to the economy means the recovery will be protracted, with unemployment remaining elevated,” Oxford Economics concluded in a recent research note.

This is more or less how damage caused by the pandemic has played out in Denmark, where the central bank expects that the economy will shrink 4.1 percent this year, and where joblessness has edged up to 5.6 percent in May from 4.1 percent in March.

In short, Sweden suffered a vastly higher death rate while failing to collect on the expected economic gains.

The coronavirus does not stop at national borders. Despite the government’s decision to allow the domestic economy to roll on, Swedish businesses are stuck with the same conditions that produced recession everywhere else. And Swedish people responded to the fear of the virus by limiting their shopping — not enough to prevent elevated deaths, but enough to produce a decline in business activity.

Here is one takeaway with potentially universal import: It is simplistic to portray government actions such as quarantines as the cause of economic damage. The real culprit is the virus itself. From Asia to Europe to the Americas, the risks of the pandemic have disrupted businesses while prompting people to avoid shopping malls and restaurants, regardless of official policy.

Sweden is exposed to the vagaries of global trade. Once the pandemic was unleashed, it was certain to suffer the economic consequences, said Mr. Kirkegaard, the economist.

“The Swedish manufacturing sector shut down when everyone else shut down because of the supply chain situation,” he said. “This was entirely predictable.”

What remained in the government’s sphere of influence was how many people would die.

“There is just no questioning and no willingness from the Swedish government to really change tack, until it’s too late,” Mr. Kirkegaard said. “Which is astonishing, given that it’s been clear for quite some time that the economic gains that they claim to have gotten from this are just nonexistent.”

Norway, on the other hand, was not only quick to impose an aggressive lockdown, but early to relax it as the virus slowed, and as the government ramped up testing. It is now expected to see a more rapid economic turnaround. Norway’s central bank predicts that its mainland economy — excluding the turbulent oil and gas sector — will contract by 3.9 percent this year. That amounts to a marked improvement over the 5.5 percent decline expected in the midst of the lockdown.

Sweden’s laissez faire approach does appear to have minimized the economic damage compared with its neighbors in the first three months of the year, according to an assessment by the International Monetary Fund. But that effect has worn off as the force of the pandemic has swept through the global economy, and as Swedish consumers have voluntarily curbed their shopping anyway.

Researchers at the University of Copenhagen gained access to credit data from Danske Bank, one of the largest in Scandinavia. They studied spending patterns from mid-March, when Denmark put the clamps on the economy, to early April. The pandemic prompted Danes to reduce their spending 29 percent in that period, the study concluded. During the same weeks, consumers in Sweden — where freedom reigned — reduced their spending 25 percent.

Strikingly, older people — those over 70 — reduced their spending more in Sweden than in Denmark, perhaps concerned that the business-as-usual circumstances made going out especially risky.

Collectively, Scandinavian consumers are expected to continue spending far more robustly than in the United States, said Thomas Harr, global head of research at Danske Bank, emphasizing those nations’ generous social safety nets, including national health care systems. Americans, by contrast, tend to rely on their jobs for health care, making them more cautious about their health and their spending during the pandemic, knowing that hospitalization can be a gateway to financial calamity.

“It’s very much about the welfare state,” Mr. Harr said of Scandinavian countries. “You’re not as concerned about catching the virus, because you know that, if you do, the state is paying for health care.”

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Credit where credit is due, Lowe is an organic chemist, not a virologist.

:science:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

pmchem posted:

Credit where credit is due, Lowe is an organic chemist, not a virologist.

:science:

Yeah, I knew what he meant though :v:

Also the Tulsa rally is the gift that keeps on giving

COVID

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1280971561097482249?s=19

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I read the thread so you good folks don't have to. It's obviously not her but the red yarn is out and anyone who questions the narrative is in on the fix.

So, reddit.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Discussion Quorum posted:

I read the thread so you good folks don't have to. It's obviously not her but the red yarn is out and anyone who questions the narrative is in on the fix.

So, reddit.

On the other hand, if the news broke that reddit is just a front for a global ring of pedophiles and sex trafficking, that would not be surprising.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1280976280314249216

Dumb gotcha attempt and all, but I hope this line of questioning becomes constant.

Of course it will just result in those in power deciding to crush students and prisoners under the wheel of capitalism.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Stoned audiobook format.

I'm sorry, listening to Wesley fuckin Crusher read the stupid internet cool guy competition scoreboard 47 times nearly drove away the last vestiges of my sanity. What a terrible book.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2014/06/19/010-ready-player-one-w-mike-sacco/

This was a good/funny takedown of Ready Player One. gently caress I hated that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

When i was driving 10 hours a day updating gps info i couldn't handle more than an hour or two of it at a time. It's just awful writing. I refuse to believe any reason for Spielberg to be involved with the movie other than how much it was blowing him and mentioning how great he was by name