Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

brains
May 12, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

As much as I love to poo poo on Trump, I'm legit longing for the day that the entirety of the US finally ends up taking Covid seriously. Countless people dying for no reason whatsofuckingever because of orange pissbaby has been infuriating from the get-go, as it drat well should have been.
What's added to my anxiety since the end of June / early July is the fact that my job now, in part, depends on the US getting control of this shitshow.

And here we are, the last day of July, 20k new infections, and 500 dead, with only 15 loving states reporting yesterday's numbers, and the majority of the worst-hit states (with the exception of FL and AZ) are still to come.

That's not even including the human misery we're about to face due to the eviction crisis.

Jesus loving Christ, it's so viscerally-infuriating that the "leader" of a nation cannot be loving bothered to tell people to wear a mask, socially-distance, and wash some loving hands.
Oh my loving days. This is not healthy.

don't hold your breath, man. 100,000 people died and the country's response was "good riddance, loving libs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

shame on an IGA posted:

It ain't gonna happen Duzzy

Please let me dream

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The US was always going to be a disaster. Red states would have flatly refused any assistance if not still actively denied it was a problem and we're certainly not getting any better help from Congress.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well if yesterday's Vanity Fair article is true, it goes a lot farther than just not being bothered to tell people to wear a mask.

These people should be hanged.

What crime would that be, technically? Voluntary manslaughter? Negligent homicide?

Absolutely agree they should be put against a wall. They knew they could have saved hundreds of thousands of lives, and chose not to. That's an explicit choice they purposefully and willfully made. That's not just the incompetence we knew that they had. We already knew a competent response would have prevented all of this. This new information shows us that it was a willful choice. That is a loving travesty.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The US was always going to be a disaster. Red states would have flatly refused any assistance if not still actively denied it was a problem and we're certainly not getting any better help from Congress.

I don’t think so. There’s nothing inherently “gently caress help” about red states. They accept all kinds of assistance.

Hell, it could’ve been cynically sold as a dangerous foreign-origin virus soon to escape coastal cities into your (also often coastal) Southern/western cities.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

That website :catstare:

quote:

Perry made an attack on the entire revolutionary movement, and he should face all the wrath the revolutionary movement can produce in response.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I think there's a bit of a shift going on.

News organizations are realizing that it makes good TV/Video/ratings to fact-check the president in real time during one-on-one interviews, versus just letting him talk.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1289213904657084419?s=19

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

I don’t think so. There’s nothing inherently “gently caress help” about red states. They accept all kinds of assistance.

yep, red states in fact want the most federal aid.

quote:

The map below shows the extent to which federal aid comprised each state’s total general revenue in FY 2016 (the most recent year of data available). That year, the states where federal aid comprised the largest share of general revenue were Mississippi (43.4 percent), Louisiana (42.7 percent), New Mexico (41.2 percent), Arizona (41.2 percent), and Kentucky (40.9 percent). The states for which federal aid comprised the smallest share of state general revenue were Virginia (21.1 percent), Hawaii (22.7 percent), Kansas (23.0 percent), North Dakota (23.8 percent), and Utah (25.7 percent).

https://taxfoundation.org/federal-aid-reliance-rankings/

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I wonder if ensuring evictions happen while simultaneously destroying the USPS has anything to do with the upcoming election that will be largely by mail. Hmm probably not just the DEMS trying to spread lies time to go to Applebees!

brains
May 12, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Please let me dream

150,000 people died and the country's response was "masks are tyranny" and my personal favorite, "time to reopen schools!"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

mlmp08 posted:

Hell, it could’ve been cynically sold as a dangerous foreign-origin virus soon to escape coastal cities into your (also often coastal) Southern/western cities.

they actively fought and refused medicaid expansion as part of Obamacare. they literally took the most expensive, in terms of lives and money, option to own the libs. theyd of absolutely done it here, too. no shut downs, no masks, no nothing just GOD BLESS AMERICA AND OUR RED STATE FREEDOMS

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Schools are going to be absolutely hosed next month, plus right around the lead-up to the election. You just can't fight this thing with the transmission rates where they are now.

https://twitter.com/amymaxmen/status/1289241882388652032?s=19

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Proud Christian Mom posted:

they actively fought and refused medicaid expansion as part of Obamacare. they literally took the most expensive, in terms of lives and money, option to own the libs. theyd of absolutely done it here, too. no shut downs, no masks, no nothing just GOD BLESS AMERICA AND OUR RED STATE FREEDOMS

But it a Republican president said “this poo poo is serious and big strong daddy will help good governors control it” they wouldn’t have to trip on their own feet to own the libs. Just like they don’t turn away hurricane relief to own the libs.

E: America is structurally ill-set up to handle a pandemic but saying it would’ve been hosed no matter what is letting leadership off the hook.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

They don't want an actual conviction. Just to gently caress with the protester's life enough to where they'll think twice next time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1288980580076417024

With popehat signal boosting maybe some lawyers will help slap the department?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

With popehat signal boosting maybe some lawyers will help slap the department?

That is one of the few good things about the hell site that is Twitter that good connections can happen.

Just saw a Fox Business headline that used "cancelled" as a verb for a person and not event or w/e. I hate it, I really do

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Post edited because I read more background info on it.

So she's getting charged not for doxxing, but basically inciting doxxing?

I don't really know how I feel about that.

I'm generally against doxxing, because more often than not, it's incorrect info. The reddit brigade named like 7 different people who was the "boston bomber." None of them turned out to be true. Twitter is no better at it.

That guy that was supposedly the old guy in the bicycle helmet who hit those kids and took down their signs, turned out to NOT be the guy, and his life was turned completely upside down for weeks. The original person who erroneously doxxed him apologized to him.

The "cop" who was supposedly the one in all black clothing and a motorcycle helmet who trashed the Autozone in Minneapolis turned out not to be the cop that got doxxed, but a racist 1%er biker who was trying to incite more violence.

But charging her with a felony not for actual doxxing, but calling for it? That seems like quite a stretch. Can joat mon give us some more context?

Edit: should've read her GoFundMe. She's being charged for a RETWEET, and the charge is for "cyberbullying." Hoooly poo poo that's loving dumb. Charges are BS and need to be dropped. Even if they aren't I really hope she beats the case, because it's weak as gently caress.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/georgana...re-sheet+expWdV

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 31, 2020

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'm no expert but it doesn't seem like doxxing to find out who a cop is when they intentionally hide their identity.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bored As gently caress posted:

I'm generally against doxxing, because more often than not, it's incorrect info. The reddit brigade named like 7 different people who was the "boston bomber." None of them turned out to be true. Twitter is no better at it.

That guy that was supposedly the old guy in the bicycle helmet who hit those kids and took down their signs, turned out to NOT be the guy, and his life was turned completely upside down for weeks. The original person who erroneously doxxed him apologized to him.

The "cop" who was supposedly the one in all black clothing and a motorcycle helmet who trashed the Autozone in Minneapolis turned out not to be the cop that got doxxed, but a racist 1%er biker who was trying to incite more violence.

But charging her with a felony not for actual doxxing, but calling for it? That seems like quite a stretch. Can joat mon give us some more context?

Edit: should've read her GoFundMe. She's being charged for a RETWEET, and the charge is for "cyberbullying." Hoooly poo poo that's loving dumb.

Almost as if all cops are bastards

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

not caring here posted:

I'm no expert but it doesn't seem like doxxing to find out who a cop is when they intentionally hide their identity.

Yeah read my edit. The entire charge is horse poo poo. It's not an original tweet, it's a retweet. And you're right, it wasn't even calling for doxxing explicitly. Just trying to find out his info to lodge q complaint against him.

Those charges need to be dropped. They're BS.

I just donated $20. I'm not the most financially stable person but her charge infuriates me. You guys should donate to her or other BLM orgs if you haven't already.

https://gf.me/u/yjmzau

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 31, 2020

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

holy poo poo its now effectively illegal to want to file a complaint

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BreakingDefense/status/1289260975502143489?s=20

Had to do some NATO training in Poland before Afghanistan MOB and that was a cool place. Shame about the current government there

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
You know what?

This loving fits.

https://twitter.com/WFLARyan/status/1289258997933998080?s=19

It HAD to be a Florida boy.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

You know what?

This loving fits.

https://twitter.com/WFLARyan/status/1289258997933998080?s=19

Clearly this is a false flag. There is no mention of bath salts or pet alligators.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

This is the same image.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

someone finally made :crackping:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/transscribe/status/1289264216411500544?s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Guy traveled like 60+ miles to show up at the protest to cause a scene, and Austin PD let him go.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

As much as I love to poo poo on Trump, I'm legit longing for the day that the entirety of the US finally ends up taking Covid seriously. Countless people dying for no reason whatsofuckingever because of orange pissbaby has been infuriating from the get-go, as it drat well should have been.
What's added to my anxiety since the end of June / early July is the fact that my job now, in part, depends on the US getting control of this shitshow.

lmao yes hopefully we can get your job squared away for you

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Nevermind

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

TWO Florida men and a UK person.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndca/pr/three-individuals-charged-alleged-roles-twitter-hack

It'll never get old seeing Online people getting charged and they get cited as like Steve "FaZeOuT69" Smith.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Post edited because I read more background info on it.

Edit: should've read her GoFundMe. She's being charged for a RETWEET, and the charge is for "cyberbullying." Hoooly poo poo that's loving dumb. Charges are BS and need to be dropped. Even if they aren't I really hope she beats the case, because it's weak as gently caress.

There's no other information, and the original tweet isn't available, so there's not a lot to discuss about the facts of the case.

Here's the statute:

quote:

2C:33-4.1 Crime of cyber-harassment.

1. a. A person commits the crime of cyber-harassment if, while making a communication in an online capacity via any electronic device or through a social networking site and with the purpose to harass another, the person:

(1) threatens to inflict injury or physical harm to any person or the property of any person;

(2) knowingly sends, posts, comments, requests, suggests, or proposes any lewd, indecent, or obscene material to or about a person with the intent to emotionally harm a reasonable person or place a reasonable person in fear of physical or emotional harm to his person; or

(3) threatens to commit any crime against the person or the person's property.

b. Cyber-harassment is a crime of the fourth degree, unless the person is 21 years of age or older at the time of the offense and impersonates a minor for the purpose of cyber-harassing a minor, in which case it is a crime of the third degree.
A fourth degree crime carries up to 18 months in prison, making it a felony, and up to 10k in fines.

It looks like the guy who sent the tweet also got charged

The context is that online bullying is already one of the most stupid first world problem 'crimes' to exist, and this incident takes the idea to a whole new but entirely expected level of stupid. Thankfully the ACLU still gives a poo poo about free speech, which is where this case should be won. (The ACLU has already reached out to the woman who did the retweeting)

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

CommieGIR posted:

Guy traveled like 60+ miles to show up at the protest to cause a scene, and Austin PD let him go.

well lets hope the MP's wont

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Tythas posted:

well lets hope the MP's wont

Or has a training accident, granted that's a not very positive thought

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Meanwhile, Brisbane is about to go to hell.
Two geniuses lied about where they'd been, popped hot a week after, and have been refusing to aid authorities with contact tracing efforts. They also went out drinking after being tested, while waiting for their results. There has been one positive case recorded already and they've released a contact tracing list of his movements, but they are still in the dark about where else it might hit.

quote:

⚠️ Public Health Alert ⚠️

A Public Health Alert has been issued for locations in the West Moreton and Brisbane South area in relation to today’s (31 July 2020) confirmed case of COVID-19.

Any individuals who have been in the below locations during the relevant times are asked to monitor their health and immediately present for testing if they are experiencing any relevant symptoms.

📍26 July 2020 (11.30-11.35am) - Caltex Goodna - Goodna
📍26 July 2020 (12.30-2.10pm) - Sleeman Sports Complex* - Chandler
📍26 July 2020 (4-7pm) - Garden City Shopping Centre - Mount Gravatt
📍26 July 2020 (4-5pm) - Kmart at Garden City Shopping Centre - Mount Gravatt
📍26 July 2020 (4.30-5pm) - JB Hi-Fi at Garden City Shopping Centre - Mount Gravatt
📍26 July 2020 (around 5pm) - MOS Burger at Garden City Shopping Centre - Mount Gravatt
📍26 July 2020 (around 6pm) - Chatime at Garden City - Mount Gravatt
📍27 July 2020 (10-10.30am) - Café 63 - Redbank Plains
📍27 July 2020 (11am-1pm) - Bunnings Springfield - Springfield
📍27 July 2020 (3.15-4pm) - Bunnings Oxley - Oxley
📍27 July 2020 (6-8.30pm) - Basketball Court Springfield Lakes* - Springfield Lakes
📍27 July 2020 (8.45-8.55pm) - Nando’s Kenmore - Kenmore
📍28 July 2020 (8.40-8.45am) - Caltex Wacol - Wacol
📍29 July 2020 (around 10.45am) - Richlands Medical Centre Richlands Plaza - Richlands
📍29 July 2020 (around 11.35am) - SNP Collection Centre Forest Lake - Forest Lake

*People who are close contacts will be contacted directly by the Public Health Unit.

Additionally, the Public Health Alert issued on 29 July 2020 has been amended with an updated time relating to the Primary Medical and Dental Practice at Browns Plains on 24 July 2020 to 3:30 – 4:30pm.

If you have any concerns about your health, contact your doctor or contact 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84).

Its probably fair to say that these two have personally caused a citywide lockdown.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I know opening schools is a bad idea, but since schools are our country's closest relative to child care and nutrition subsidy, I have sympathies for those placed in the ideological DMZ of "I need someone to take care of my child so I can work to feed them and they can learn what they need for a productive future" and "I need them to avoid contracting a deadly communicable disease."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

piL posted:

I know opening schools is a bad idea, but since schools are our country's closest relative to child care and nutrition subsidy, I have sympathies for those placed in the ideological DMZ of "I need someone to take care of my child so I can work to feed them and they can learn what they need for a productive future" and "I need them to avoid contracting a deadly communicable disease."

Yeah, unfortunately, here's what's going to happen:

Kids will either catch it or carry it home. Parents, Teachers, and Staff will catch it, and the school will get shut down. And we are seeing spikes related to kids catching it. The reason kids haven't caught it much yet is because the lockdown shut down schools quick

https://twitter.com/CommieGIR/status/1289268707512836096?s=20

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Meanwhile, Brisbane is about to go to hell.
Two geniuses lied about where they'd been, popped hot a week after, and have been refusing to aid authorities with contact tracing efforts. They also went out drinking after being tested, while waiting for their results. There has been one positive case recorded already and they've released a contact tracing list of his movements, but they are still in the dark about where else it might hit.

Its probably fair to say that these two have personally caused a citywide lockdown.

Yeah, I've got friends and family there and apparently those pair of loving idiots have police protection because they are gonna get murdered.

Their family says it's because they are people of color, and not because one of them snuck across the border from Melbourne illegally and because they refuse to help authorities any more and have most likely infected a bunch of people and killed a few.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

RFC2324 posted:

holy poo poo its now effectively illegal to want to file a complaint

And then they came for the Karen, and there were no managers left to speak up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/LorenCollins/status/1289303932552900608