Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Update on Vanessa Guillen case.

https://twitter.com/halbritz/status/1278355761987452930?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Want a depressing read?

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1278684776581468161?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/tammygolden/status/1278841407520661506?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Does SHARP work? Maybe, it certainly didn't seem to while I was in. This goes for both men and women as there are also female senior NCOs and officers taking advantage of males of subordinate rank.

From my perspective as an old man, it's far from perfect, but it is so much better than when I was an LT. Reporting was not mandatory, CPTs were just appointing random LTs to investigate allegations with zero oversight, no real legal framework, just admin, to stop people who created toxic platoons to ostracize victims, etc. It is still bad now, but it was MEGA bad when I first came in. I'd say it's probably a tossup whether my college years were the most rape-filled sexually fraught place I've experienced versus my time as an LT.

I mean, when I first came in, it was literally commander's discretion (as in O-3, not O-6/7/8 commander) on whether or not to investigate things and even well-meaning commanders often just appointed a brand new 2LT or SFC to investigate allegations of sexual harassment and criminal activity. By the time I was a commander, the decision to not pursue charges on sex crimes was withheld at the O-8 level.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Racism plus actual social economy populism would be a hell of a drug.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

You can also get a 4- year ROTC scholarship at a public university and also have a relatively normal social life without having to sit at attention during meals.

:siren: :siren: :siren: This

I was told that I should only go to the academy if my idea of self-worth was tied to academy life. I am so eternally glad that I took that guy's advice and went to a big state school on scholarship instead.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
What I got from that Guilfoyle Corona story is that Don Jr traveled to South Dakota and didn’t get to see his dad in person.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

This is just an ASMR channel :colbert:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Prop Wash posted:

Because the Army has a million bazillion dollars to spend on recruiting and retention and the Air Force makes you file a requisition form to give someone a frisbee, that's why

The Army does spend more per recruit than the Air Force, but the last time I really looked into it, it was about $1.4-1.6 dollars per USAF $1 spent per required recruit. But also the Army big and misses goals all the time, and I don't think the Thunderbirds directly count against USAF recruitment costs.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/bbierschbach/status/1281270015535255552?s=21

Break out the flora and fauna safety slides.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Can’t vouch for veracity, but looks bad!

https://twitter.com/motherofdoggons/status/1281264673564786689?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
And you occasionally get nuclear legal takes about how retirees better not ever say anything about politics once they're out, or else the courts martial will get them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

PeterCat posted:

So what happens if you come back and fly just badly enough that they can't sign you off as a competent crewmember? Do they just re-retire you?

Maybe put you on admin duty to free up a flyer to do flying :backtowork:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
AZ’s governor using lessons of murdering rivals from Breaking Bad to signal changes (I assume) in COVID policy.

https://twitter.com/govbrewer/status/1281437190115872770?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Handsome Ralph posted:

She's no longer governor, Doug Ducey is.

Oops.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
And when she’s been accused by others of being an ardent zionist she responds that yes, she is. And some allegations of her trying to get people fired over banal stuff including just not wanting to hang out with her outside of work.

Apparently plenty of people who are wealthy and disagree with her about things like whether Palestinians deserve life find her pleasant enough in person to ignore these “differences of opinion.” When they don’t she rather publicly flips poo poo.

Otherwise she’s a pretty bad writer and if she thinks centrists are being oppressed, uh... what? It’s either a cynical lie or its just evidence of being detached from reality. It’s like she gets angry about someone being “woke” and equates that to a leftist takeover, when US govt is very far from left.

Her resignation letter is a good example of her poor writing, persecution complex, and insistence of a silent majority who backs her but is scared of leftists.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/isaiah_kb/status/1283068548336586752?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Centrists and “moderate” conservatives that defend conservative media while crying about cancel culture are lost.

https://twitter.com/jasonscampbell/status/1283224831832530945?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is some truly load-bearing passive voice.

WXYZ Detroit (@wxyzdetroit) Tweeted:
Bullet enters man's home while he's asleep after officer shoots injured deer

https://t.co/Q5OJdOCfGv https://twitter.com/wxyzdetroit/status/1283906761297031168?s=20

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

The Army just figured out a way to ban the Confederate Flag.

They published a list of flags allowed to be flown and the Confederate Flag isn't on it :laugh:

Technically, this could leave a “heritage not hate” commander to ignore it, but that would be ill advised.

Also not listed are football team flags or university flags, but presumably only a really obnoxious commander would deem those “divisive” symbols.

I was thinking an rear end could use the MS flag instead, but it was retired 17 days ago, and MS presently has no flag.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
She should’ve absolutely resigned. I won’t call her “selfish” really, but hubris and overconfidence apply to RBG and many others.

There was discussion of this well before 2016, but kind of muted and on eggshells. Then the blockage of Garland cemented that she could not any longer retire and had to hope Clinton won or that RBG would live 4-8 more years.

No need to relitigate it, but something to remember: GOP will block someone’s appointment for baseless reasons but would probably invent 500 more hours in a day if RBG passed the day before inauguration.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TCD posted:

Proactive arrests?

Uh

In the actual clip, while he uses lovely terminology elsewhere (ie calling graffiti “attacks on federal facilities”), he’s mostly misusing the word proactive and bitching that feds are doing arrests cause local PD isn’t supportive enough in his opinion.

Not quite pre-crime yet.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Great, now the fans can call themselves Sentinelese.

Army personnel chosen to guard the tomb of the unknown soldier are known as “Sentinels.”

I very much doubt the NFL is worried about the sentinel radar, an Army air defense radar.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Either make it an extreme alt-history where she helps Barry Goldwater win in her youth or make it one episode where she agrees to campaign in the rust belt and smashcut to victory celebration.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
About 2 1/2 years ago a bunch of GOs were talking about how dumb it was that we had a 96 hour reaction infantry force that could get anywhere in the world and then walked at 2.5 miles per hour everywhere, so they needed vehicles rather than airborne landing either via jump or (more often) at an airport and then asking for buses and trucks.

I guess they get skeletal Colorados now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Public schools suck hardcore for kids with special needs.

This is overly broad. Public schools are highly variable due to how very localized and balkanized they are. A lot of charters pull shenanigans to outright deny entry or services to special needs kids.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/1287363878049980417?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The US was always going to be a disaster. Red states would have flatly refused any assistance if not still actively denied it was a problem and we're certainly not getting any better help from Congress.

I don’t think so. There’s nothing inherently “gently caress help” about red states. They accept all kinds of assistance.

Hell, it could’ve been cynically sold as a dangerous foreign-origin virus soon to escape coastal cities into your (also often coastal) Southern/western cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Proud Christian Mom posted:

they actively fought and refused medicaid expansion as part of Obamacare. they literally took the most expensive, in terms of lives and money, option to own the libs. theyd of absolutely done it here, too. no shut downs, no masks, no nothing just GOD BLESS AMERICA AND OUR RED STATE FREEDOMS

But it a Republican president said “this poo poo is serious and big strong daddy will help good governors control it” they wouldn’t have to trip on their own feet to own the libs. Just like they don’t turn away hurricane relief to own the libs.

E: America is structurally ill-set up to handle a pandemic but saying it would’ve been hosed no matter what is letting leadership off the hook.