Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Milo and POTUS posted:

Much too long to be based on 9/11... what's it referencing?

September 1993, AOL started offering home internet service for the first time. Prior to that the internet was almost entirely just academics and uber nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A group of 40 of the top of the class of the last two years of westpoint grads have wrote a letter to leadership explaining in detail how west point is failing to eliminate racism at both the institution and the army at large.

https://www.slideshare.net/TimothyBerry8/an-anti-racist-west-point

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Protestors in Montana including Souix people who technically own the land have blockaded the road to Mt. Rushmore with vans by parking sideways and taking off the wheels. Police have said it's an unlawful assembly and ordered people to disburse. They have not. So far no violence. Trump is supposed to arrive in 2 hours.

e: there is another road up but will force people to divert another 15-20 minutes. No word on if there is a similar blockade over there.

e2: here's a good person to follow: https://twitter.com/EEBormett/status/1279186342178586624

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/EEBormett/status/1279187481280331778

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

US Berder Patrol posted:

I worked a couple of weeks at the beginning of this month in South Dakota. I stayed in Rapid City and worked in a couple of small towns around the Black Hills area (Spearfish and Edgemont are the ones I can name off the top of my head). The atmosphere of chuddy hostility was absolutely off the charts up there, there is no way this ends without police violence

https://twitter.com/EEBormett/status/1279188723415027713

Yeah this is about to get nasty.

https://twitter.com/EEBormett/status/1279189116186394624

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/SDPBNews/status/1279190348972072960

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The National Guard is on scene.

https://twitter.com/EEBormett/status/1279190930826973185

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Livestream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgq0qbzYBtE

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think that may a be a lovely right wing smutnews but they're live.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The poo poo coming out of this guy's mouth. He's desperate to see the protestors get beat by police.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

stream from the protest side:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BRKjYOAEMpxw

e:
vvvvvvv thanks someone linked me in c-spam. Got both streams going side by side now with the right wing stream muted.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 4, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pieces of poo poo pepper spraying people trying to not get smashed into vans.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Is that national guard in the phalanx using police shields?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

loving :lol: if you don't have warrants, you'll get booked and released.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ben Crump is a local attorney to me and I don’t know him to bullshit.

Police clearing out a building to make it easier to transfer to some rich guy isn’t exactly unheard of, either.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The other case besides the faithless elector one today has to do with the telephone consumer protection act. As of the 1991 version of the statute, no robocalls can legally be made to cell phones. In 2015, congress amended the statute to allow debt collection robocalls for government backed debt. Political consultants sued saying that allowing the debt collection while prohibiting political robocalling violated the first amendment. The supreme court agreed. Roberts, Kavanaugh, Alito, Gorsuch, Thomas, and Sotomayor all agree that the restriction violates the first amendment. Breyer, Kagan, and Ginsburg would have held that the exception is valid. Because six justices agree that it violates the first amendment (but no more than 4 could agree on why - so there is no controlling opinion), the issue turns then to severability. All justices except Gorsuch and Thomas feel that the exception is severable and declared that the US backed debt collection robocalls provision is severable from the rest of the statute. Gorsuch & Thomas would have instead granted the political consultants an injunction saying that the portion of the statute that prohibits cell phone robocalling does not apply to them specifically.

If all of this sounds like a clusterfuck, it is because it is a clusterfuck. The ultimate ruling, though, is that robocalls to cell phones are universally banned with no exception for government backed debt collections. The worst outcome would have been following Gorsuch's logic as that would have opened up the floodgates for TRUMP 2020 phone calls all the god damned time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Carteret posted:

So does that mean the robocalls you get for spam and sales are illegal? Will this actually stop them and make cellphone calls answerable again, or make cell phone providers help block them, or just lol RIP to answering my phone again unless caller ID/saved contact shows up.

Those were already illegal, but the problem is they're done by ephemeral entities so there's no way really to complain unless you can find the source company that's making the calls.

I got a call a minute ago about my business' google listing. This was an unlawful call under the TCPA, but it isn't a call from google - its a call from a scammer. If I knew who was behind the scams and could show that the call actually came from them, I could collect a judgment against them for each violation. As it's a spoofed phone number and there is no actual company I can sue, there isn't much that can be done.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Best Friends posted:

Financially and structurally though, can the mandate be severed? Without the mandate how does any of the ACA pencil out? I'd think (caveat: I don't know anything) that would destroy the exchange market, leaving only the regulatory aspects of the ACA.

The mandate is already gone, though. The issue is whether or not the ACA can stand without the mandate. As the mandate was the cornerstone tax used to fund the program, it's hard to argue that the law can be upheld without the funding. I think the ACA is unfortunately dead.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nephzinho posted:

Have to make sure the school you're ultimately graduating from will accept the credits. Some schools won't.

I did both! Double majored and graduated early. Saved a bunch of money on a degree I do not use at all.

For the first, in Florida at least, graduating with an AA from a state community college means that any public four year school in Florida is required to accept you. Individual programs do not have to accept you, but the school cannot refuse, and all of your credits transfer.

I can't speak for other states, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

Can someone who's already read the full Vance opinion explain why NY prosecutors still won't get the documents even though their subpoena is valid?

The only things at issue at the SCOTUS was whether the president had absolute immunity and whether the state had to demonstrate a heightened need before subpoenaing the president. Both arguments were rejected. However, Trump can still raise other arguments at the lower court as to why he shouldn't turn them over.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

I thought Vance already involved an issued subpoena by NY prosecutors, and this case was the President's challenge to it?

Correct. The arguments at the SCOTUS were limited to two subjects.

quote:

Two hundred years ago, a great jurist of our Court estab-lished that no citizen, not even the President, is categori-cally above the common duty to produce evidence whencalled upon in a criminal proceeding. We reaffirm that principle today and hold that the President is neither abso-lutely immune from state criminal subpoenas seeking hisprivate papers nor entitled to a heightened standard of need. The “guard[] furnished to this high officer” lies whereit always has—in “the conduct of a court” applying estab-lished legal and constitutional principles to individual sub-poenas in a manner that preserves both the independenceof the Executive and the integrity of the criminal justice system. Burr, 25 F. Cas., at 34. The arguments presented here and in the Court of Ap-peals were limited to absolute immunity and heightened need. The Court of Appeals, however, has directed that thecase be returned to the District Court, where the President may raise further arguments as appropriate. 941 F. 3d, at 646, n. 19.6

The final footnote says this:

quote:

6The daylight between our opinion and JUSTICE THOMAS’s “dissent” is not as great as that label might suggest. Post, at 12. We agree that Presidents are neither absolutely immune from state criminal subpoenas nor insulated by a heightened need standard. Post, at 6, 11, n. 3. We agree that Presidents may challenge specific subpoenas as impeding their Article II functions. Post, at 6–7. And, although we affirm while JUSTICE THOMAS would vacate, we agree that this case will be remanded to the District Court. Post, at 12.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Here's a map of tribal land in 1866. https://www.loc.gov/resource/g4021e.ct003199/?r=0.124,0.082,0.815,0.42,0

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

Y'all should read this message from the next Vice President of the United States.

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1281350316982710273?s=19

paywalled can you c/p?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bird food bathtub posted:

Just throwing out there that the president blatantly abused his powers and commuted Roger Stone's sentence and it's just, kinda, there. Nobody is even bothering to be shocked by it. Just another day in the world no big deal. President corrupt, so what?

I don't see it as an abuse of power. I see it as wrong, however the constitution grants absolute pardon power to the president. He's not doing anything outside of his authority. If we don't want the president pardoning his buddies, we have to amend the constitution or remove the president.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

The president also has the legal authority to publicly disclose every HUMINT source but that doesn't make it right.
Being legal doesn't stop it from being an abuse of power. Are you a Republican Senator? Because that was their argument against removing him from office.

He was impeached for holding up duly authorized congressional aid to an ally nation for personal political gain. That is something he had the power to do but he did not have the authority. He abused his power to do something he shouldn't.

His pardon power, on the other hand, is absolute. There are no limits. He could pardon every person in prison right now and it would not be an abuse of that power. Bill Clinton pardoned friends as well (or his brother I can't recall) and it wasn't an abuse of power.

Fallom posted:

The pardon power really is explicitly made for the president to use it for political and personal advantage though

Like if you’re looking for any other interpretation you have to go back through a couple centuries of precedent

Exactly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The only limits on the president's pardon power are that he cannot pardon state crimes and the pardoned party has to accept the pardon. Beyond that, there is no limit.

This isn't about agreeing with whether something is right or wrong. It's a matter of scope of authority.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jeffrey officially owns somethingawful now. He's still gotta get the payment system transferred over to him, but other than that everything else is done. Lowtax continues to gaslight the latest 'crazy' woman in his life.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Speaking of twitter, the president is bitching about people saying he golfs too much. He's lied saying that he golfs less than obama. Yes, he has golfed less over the entire course of his presidency (303 for obama and 261 for trump), but on a per year rate it's 38 for obama vs 74 for trump.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You’re out of your drat mind if you ever thought anyone has a chance against a guy like tuberville in alabama. Dude isn’t quite Saban level, but he’s well known enough that everyone is gonna vote for him. He could run on any platform and mop the floor with Sessions by saying he’s gonna ensure the tide get at least three natties in his time in office.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

And this is why America is a plague nation. People don't understand that failing to handle coronavirus is wrecking the economy.

For the capital class, the economy is doing gangbusters. They've profited over the first 6 months of the year while the economy as a whole has cratered. The stock market is further out of line with the actual underlying earnings than anytime in it's history. The wealth distribution in this country is only comparable to places like pre-revolution france.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Projected q2 usa gdp is anywhere between -30% and -50%. Investment banks have announced massive profits over the same quarter. Less than half the country has any exposure to the stock market. Almost all of the gains go into the wealthiest pockets.

They're letting us die to the plague and stealing up every bit of gold out of teeth of corpses' mouths. 1/3 of the country both homeowners and renters are housing insecure and about to be evicted or foreclosed upon. 1/3+ of the workforce of this country is out of work and the 1/5th that are actually getting unemployment benefits are largely about to lose those.

Things are absolutely hosed right now and not going to get better in two weeks when we're back to multiple thousands a day in plague deaths plus massive homelessness. The USA is about to face a crisis of its own making that it has no ability to actually respond to as there's not much of a way to make money off of it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Milo and POTUS posted:

...there's no way that's real

It is 100% real and aired on Fox News this morning.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

If Tiffany died I'd feel bad for her because nobody else cared.

Tiffany is the Fred Jr. of the current Trump generation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Like oh no those poor people are getting the equivalent of 31k/year in unemployment money! That’s unacceptable. They should only get that after working two minimum wage jobs full time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

reminder that the federal minimum wage kicker is just the equivalent of $15/hr. The states range from $5.88/hr (MS) to $21.68/hr (RI).

Here's each state and their hourly rate for unemployment sorted from smallest to largest. Note that these are maximum rates for states that offer additional with dependents.

Puerto Rico $4.75
Mississippi $5.88
Arizona $6.00
Louisiana $6.18
Alabama $6.88
Florida $6.88
Tennessee $6.88
Missouri $8.00
South Carolina $8.15
North Carolina $8.75
Michigan $9.05
Georgia $9.13
Wisconsin $9.25
Virginia $9.45
Indiana $9.75
Delaware $10.00
South Dakota $10.35
West Virginia $10.60
New Hampshire $10.68
Maryland $10.75
Nebraska $11.00
Alaska $11.05
District of Columbia $11.10
Idaho $11.20
California $11.25
Arkansas $11.28
Nevada $11.73
Kansas $12.20
New York $12.60
Wyoming $12.70
New Mexico $12.78
Vermont $12.83
Texas $13.03
Oklahoma $13.48
Kentucky $13.80
Montana $13.80
Pennsylvania $14.50
Utah $14.50
Iowa $14.78
Colorado $15.45
North Dakota $15.45
Ohio $16.18
Hawaii $16.20
Oregon $16.20
Illinois $16.68
Maine $16.68
New Jersey $17.83
Connecticut $18.10
Minnesota $18.50
Washington $19.75
Massachusetts $20.58
Rhode Island $21.68

Note that almost all of these programs have a max of 26 weeks and a number of their benefit windows are smaller.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Milo and POTUS posted:

Uh I think you'll find he won that lawsuit

Because of bazingas on the jury.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BigDave posted:

I want wrath of God, not a bad suntan. :colbert:

joat was making a dad joke about you using the word lightening (to lighten) vs lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

iwentdoodie posted:

The founder of TP USA just died of covid lol

At first I thought this was Charlie Kirk and really laughed.