Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bowsette lost last month's poll
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 211 46.27%
Bowsette, but a SUPER horny version to piss more people off 126 27.63%
vTuber Bowsette (Also horny) 51 11.18%
Kirby, but sexy like Bowsette 41 8.99%
Bowser 27 5.92%
Total: 456 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Barudak posted:

Beyond Blue is the game I wanted Subnautica to be and goddamit we need more games like this. Endless Ocean sequels when?

i love subnautica, what is Beyond Blue? I have never heard of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know that there's different tastes in gaming, different gaming experiences lead to different gaming expectations, and so on. But FFXII has too many status effects. That is an undeniable fact. There is not a single rational person on earth who would defend Stop, Disable, and Sleep all being different status effects with different items to cure them. That is indefensible.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i will defend it from the moon.

you just might not hear me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

If you love Subnautica you will hate Beyond Blue.

Its a budget game in the vein of Endless Ocean where there are 0 threats and you just catalog actual earth sea life and swim around and there seems to be no way to lose. Some sort of story happening about stopping illegal undersea mining as I study a whale pod.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Those three have been separate status effects with different causes and cures for all of FF!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Those three have been separate status effects with different causes and cures for all of FF!

I don't remember that in FFXIII, and it certainly wasn't a thing in FFXIV!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Barudak posted:

If you love Subnautica you will hate Beyond Blue.

Its a budget game in the vein of Endless Ocean where there are 0 threats and you just catalog actual earth sea life and swim around and there seems to be no way to lose. Some sort of story happening about stopping illegal undersea mining as I study a whale pod.

I love Subnautica and Endless Ocean and that sounds awesome to me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There is only one enemy in FF14 that is powerful enough to cast Stop

That's the flavor distinction too, Stop is powerful time magic and in some games does not wear off so if the whole party gets Stop it's considered a death state since no one can reverse it

Sleep is a physical status effect that a lot of random plants sometimes cause and can be cured with a whack to the head

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think I am fully burned out on Hitman for now, what a great game, I'll certainly be back to do challenges and browse all the extra options but man, best in class as far as level design goes

Now, time to sit and give this Outer Wilds game a proper go

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I apologize, a correction: there are two enemies in FF14 that inflict Stop, one of them is only in the Astrologian job story though.

Bonus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Vfh1EogB8

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Status Effects are a big thing in FFX too, word of warning.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
ff12 does have a lot of status effects and disease is the one i found most annoying, especially since i totally missed grabbing cleanse when i could on my last playthrough. i think bubble might cure it also?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I know that there's different tastes in gaming, different gaming experiences lead to different gaming expectations, and so on. But FFXII has too many status effects. That is an undeniable fact. There is not a single rational person on earth who would defend Stop, Disable, and Sleep all being different status effects with different items to cure them. That is indefensible.

game sounds like it sucks op, why you still playing it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Khanstant posted:

game sounds like it sucks op, why you still playing it

I want to see if the princess gets all the crystals! Or destroys all the crystals. Whatever she's trying to do with the crystals.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

It looks cool but not very Subnautica-y? More like Ocean Pokemon Snap, it's only 2-3 hours long. Seems lovely and more grounded in reality than Subnautica and I'd pick it up given the chance to try it at the right price. Doesn't look like there are any survival elements, and non of that scary exploration feeling of fear/thrill entering those vast dark spaces. They just load you in to next zone. These sames like a dop game to play in Science class on one of those days where the teacher just makes you watch Shrek.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I want to see if the princess gets all the crystals! Or destroys all the crystals. Whatever she's trying to do with the crystals.

i wanted to give a glib answer like "she gets the crystals, the end" but i know better, it will take another game or two to fully explain the crystal drama

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This morning thinking about how cool the moment in FF14 was when you get Stop cast against you.

And they built it up like six patches in advance with the boss that used Slow and that was a big deal

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Khanstant posted:

i wanted to give a glib answer like "she gets the crystals, the end" but i know better, it will take another game or two to fully explain the crystal drama

I will say, before I started FFXII I was like, "maybe when I'm done I'll get a DS and play the sequel!"

And now I know that's not going to be a priority.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
even if you like ffxii the sequel isn't very good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I will say, before I started FFXII I was like, "maybe when I'm done I'll get a DS and play the sequel!"

And now I know that's not going to be a priority.

The sequel is bad both in gameplay and morality

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This morning thinking about how cool the moment in FF14 was when you get Stop cast against you.

And they built it up like six patches in advance with the boss that used Slow and that was a big deal

When FFXIV started experimenting with boss mechanics is when I started getting excited for dungeons.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

remind me when this was cause i don't remember (i probably should)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thronebreaker is a weird game because the good stuff is all the decision making I do, not the Gwent. Then that got severely derailed when the game decided the absolute best of my meager cards should be gated behind letting them commit some atrocities. Im not sure if the devs knew they were your best card and thus made them an atrocity fountain, but Ive made a lot of decisions I would not otherwise make so my genocide lady stays with me.

And seriously, why is this game so stingy with cards. My strategy has not changed since Act 2 in large part because I don't have enough cards to do anything else even if I wanted to.

Also, every puzzle is basically a bunch of one off rules, many of which you cannot intuit without letting the puzzle play out often necessitating a failure, and in one case just straight referencing a better card game. This is all terrible, and feels like a protracted admittance that Gwent is not a particularly deep strategic game.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 5, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I do still want to play more Final Fantasies but they're a pretty big time investment so I'd rather not bother with any of the bad ones. Could you guys tell me which Final Fantasy games are good and which ones are bad?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barudak posted:

Thronebreaker is a weird game because the good stuff is all the decision making I do, not the Gwent. Then that got severely derailed when the game decided the absolute best of my meager cards should be gated behind letting them commit some atrocities. Im not sure if the devs knew they were your best card and thus made them an atrocity fountain, but Ive made a lot of decisions I would not otherwise make so my genocide lady stays with me.

And seriously, why is this game so stingy with cards. My strategy has not changed since Act 2 in large part because I don't have enough cards to do anything else even if I wanted to.

Also, every puzzle is basically a bunch of one off rules, many of which you cannot intuit without letting the puzzle play out often necessitating a failure, and in one case just straight referencing a better card game. This is all terrible, and feels like a protracted admittance that Gwent is not a particularly deep strategic game.

I'd definitely have preferred that game without the gameplay.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

remind me when this was cause i don't remember (i probably should)

Slow (2.5) Nabriales shows "he has control over time itself" by sending you to the room where all status effects last ten times longer than normal

Stop 3.0/3.4 the villain in the AST story quest uses Celestial Stasis which is a secret "forbidden magic" from Sharlayan. Alexander Prime uses Temporal Stasis in the A12 raid

May 8, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I do still want to play more Final Fantasies but they're a pretty big time investment so I'd rather not bother with any of the bad ones. Could you guys tell me which Final Fantasy games are good and which ones are bad?

the large kinda glib answer is IV-X(2) since you're already playing 12

from there i think you can cut IV unless you're really interested in the history of the thing as it's kind of a 'default' jrpg and the whole genre builds on it. not a bad game,just one that imo hasn't aged as well. V i think isn't good without some kind of challenge run like the 4 job fiesta unless you really like messing with job systems. VI and VII hold up (the 7 remake is also fantastic but unless time is a factor i think 7r really benefits from having played 7) VIII is divisive, I like it a lot but maybe come back around to it if you want more FF after some of the more all-around strong entries. IX is a solid game that's also completely safe, a common favorite because of that and as such because it's easy to digest and asks less of the player.

X might be where I'd send anyone just wanting to play a good FF. So in short if you wanna hit just the highlights I'd say VI, VII, X are the go-to games without delving into non-mainline stuff

Barudak
May 7, 2007

stev posted:

I'd definitely have preferred that game without the gameplay.

When people say "Disco Elysium shows you can make RPGs without combat" what they really mean is Thronebreaker without Gwent

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shipbreaker Thonebreaker Pathfinder Kingmaker!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FFXII has a DS sequel!?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

FFXII has a DS sequel!?

vaan gets a shirt! it's a nice shirt!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

FFXII has a DS sequel!?
and it's an RTS

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

homeless snail posted:

and it's an RTS

OK now I'm interested again. I loved the DS Advance Wars. And FFXII's setting would be perfect for an RTS

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
did others also mostly stick with with the default northern realms gwent deck? w3 not thronebreaker. i'd play more nilfgaard if i had more of its spies

Barudak posted:

they got rid of one of the gwent lanes in that game, right?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

did others also mostly stick with with the default northern realms gwent deck? w3 not thronebreaker. i'd play more nilfgaard if i had more of its spies

I stuck with Northern Realms mostly because it was the only deck I was getting cards for for the longest time. By the time I had a decent deck of the others I was just easy mode winning with Northern Realms every game so I just stuck with it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gripweed posted:

OK now I'm interested again. I loved the DS Advance Wars. And FFXII's setting would be perfect for an RTS
to amend my statement, a bad rts

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rinkles posted:

No way, monster deck was basically easy-free wins forever. Plus it had the coolest cards anyway.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That and a bunch of the spies or stealing dudes. also those cards that are like "gently caress your opponent in a major way ez" or like "just go ahead and double your points, wouldnt that be funny?" and oh yeah "just summon poo poo for showing up" is a broken gimmick to win with too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

FF12's setting would be perfect for a turn-based tactics game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gripweed posted:

There was FF12: Revenant Wings for the DS.

It was bad.

Just like FF12. :colbert: