Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bowsette lost last month's poll
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 211 46.27%
Bowsette, but a SUPER horny version to piss more people off 126 27.63%
vTuber Bowsette (Also horny) 51 11.18%
Kirby, but sexy like Bowsette 41 8.99%
Bowser 27 5.92%
Total: 456 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RBA Starblade posted:

Walking Simulators need an instant death mode.

Sure, every game should have all ranges of difficulty options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

The Yoko Taro phone game also has weapon stories, but eventually 90% of weapons are garbage, and even if you're insane enough to spend precious resources on upgrading garbage you can only get weapons from the gacha so you'll never see all of them.

What a waste that gacha is. I'd probably even have forced my way through it for more Yoko Taro but it's a goddamn real-time GvG centric gacha game which is the absolute worst.

I just want more people to steal weapon stories, they're neat.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Been looking at the Watch Dogs Legion trailer some more, and I think I figured out why it bugs me. With what the general population being a recruiting pool, the game has to rely on a procedural face for the protagonists instead of a hand-modeled one. The few cutscenes that were looked off because of that, because the assets looked worse than before in WD2 (well, part might be Youtube's compression, but still).

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The review embargo for Ghosts of Tsushima is up so we've been able to learn that the game is bizarrely nationalistic against the Mongols and also the B/W mode is effectively unusable because at times the game tells you to do something like "find the blue item" or whatever but does nothing to direct you if you're in B/W mode.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Any posts about MS Flight Simulator? Release date for PC is in August! I don't have a gaming PC, disappointed that I'll have to wait for the Xbone X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCBgO6St9ug

Where are the enemy planes

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

The review embargo for Ghosts of Tsushima is up so we've been able to learn that the game is bizarrely nationalistic against the Mongols and also the B/W mode is effectively unusable because at times the game tells you to do something like "find the blue item" or whatever but does nothing to direct you if you're in B/W mode.

Is it bizarre? Until the industrial era all foreigners were still called southern barbarians.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

al-azad posted:

Is it bizarre? Until the industrial era all foreigners were still called southern barbarians.

It's kinda hosed up for a modern game to portray real historical people like that yeah. Like they don't need to both sides it and have good invaders or poo poo like that but what I've heard is like only one has any characterisation at all. Which if accurate sounds kinda boring even ignoring the politics of it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wars of conquest are bad, though

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

It's kinda hosed up for a modern game to portray real historical people like that yeah. Like they don't need to both sides it and have good invaders or poo poo like that but what I've heard is like only one has any characterisation at all. Which if accurate sounds kinda boring even ignoring the politics of it.

I don't know how exactly I feel without any details from the game because the Mongol clans were a hugely varied collection of people across Asia and the Middle East so the major question is whether the game's narrative is directed at the Yuan dynasty as an invading force, essentially making it no different from the portrayal of e.g. Nazis in a WWII game, or Mongolians as an invading ethnicity which would be like the equivalent of whenever North Koreans are the villains in modern media.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Khanstant posted:

not to mention victorian era is one of the lamest and most visually unnappealing themes imaginable for any media. name any good media set in the victorian era (without puppets). You can't.

From Hell

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean to be accurate, most of the invasion force in Tsushima should be Korean levies from vassal Goryeo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ometeotl posted:

the B/W mode looked pretty bad anyway

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean to be accurate, most of the invasion force in Tsushima should be Korean levies from vassal Goryeo

Playing as a Japanese guy fighting invading Koreans developed by a Western company, I don't know how much more collar tugging you could get.

This alt-history approach though does make me want a game where you play as the Mongols invading the rest of Europe or as Toussaint Louverture invading America in a massive slave revolt. Someone give me money.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Is the B&W mode just them moving the saturation slider to zero or is there more work going on there?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Is the B&W mode just them moving the saturation slider to zero or is there more work going on there?

There's also a fake old film effect and the audio's changed a bit, but imo it looked like crap.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

al-azad posted:

Playing as a Japanese guy fighting invading Koreans developed by a Western company, I don't know how much more collar tugging you could get.

This alt-history approach though does make me want a game where you play as the Mongols invading the rest of Europe or as Toussaint Louverture invading America in a massive slave revolt. Someone give me money.

I think one of the Total War games lets you do this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sunset Invasion in Crusader Kings II has the Aztecs invading medieval Europe

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All of the paradox grand strategy games let you do funky things, like Communist USA, Sunni Britain, or Thai Russia

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The only wrong way to play Dark Souls is to level dex

Joke's on you, my Sellsword Twinblades Dex build allowed me to beat Nameless King on my very first try. :smug:

...or is that :thejoke:?

Inner Light posted:

Any posts about MS Flight Simulator? Release date for PC is in August! I don't have a gaming PC, disappointed that I'll have to wait for the Xbone X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCBgO6St9ug

How the gently caress can you launch a flight simulator without the Boeing 737? What, are they waiting for the MAX to come back?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
sekiros real good imo, because they cut the dumb bullshit like player expression and exploration of a decaying world echoing the motions of a dead kingdom with what matters: grinding muscle memory on tedious bosses so you can earn the right to post git gud memes on reddit

the knight fight is legit inspired though imo

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sekiro rules but after I beat the game I really really really wanted a version of the game that is just a boss rush because the early game has so much walking around dealing with boring trash enemies who will run into your boss arena if you try and run past them. The whole section after you first go back to the Estate loving blows and takes a million years to get back to the boss with the spear if you die

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Relax Or DIE posted:

sekiros real good imo, because they cut the dumb bullshit like player expression and exploration of a decaying world echoing the motions of a dead kingdom with what matters: grinding muscle memory on tedious bosses so you can earn the right to post git gud memes on reddit

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly Hollow Knight is so similar to Soulsbornes and blows them all out of the water so hard that whenever I consider replaying Dark Souls I just stare wistfully at the Silksong trailer instead

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

People clowned on Dark Souls Remastered but for 20$ I was able to become a sunbro and completely sequence break the game to get Gravelord Sword and Power Within to help newbies shred the Gargoyles and then switch into Greatclub and beat the poo poo out of O/S like forty times and then never play past that fight so I deffo got my money's worth out of it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly Hollow Knight is so similar to Soulsbornes and blows them all out of the water so hard that whenever I consider replaying Dark Souls I just stare wistfully at the Silksong trailer instead

Eh, it really doesn't play like those games at all

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

All the Hollow Knight praise weirds me out because the game just strikes me as very profoundly okay

Like it's good, I liked it, I'm gonna get Silksong even. It just never feels as good as everyone says it is.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Yeah, Hollow Knight did everything good. Really, really, very satisfactorily.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

There's a weirdly active Hollow Knight fanart community and yeah I'm just not sure where people are developing such an attachment to these characters

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I got my fill of Hollow Knight back when it was on newgrounds

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

There's a weirdly active Hollow Knight fanart community and yeah I'm just not sure where people are developing such an attachment to these characters

I think it has something to do with it being one of the best games ever made

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

weirdly active fanart community

the devil you say!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

the art style is cute and distinctive

hornet is good, also

Andrast posted:

Eh, it really doesn't play like those games at all

I mean yeah the actual buttons you press are pretty different but the emotional impact is nearly identical. Exploration of a dark, somber world with only vague hints of what's going on. A branching, intertwined world structure. Challenging bosses you aren't expected to overcome on your first attempt

Like I wouldn't call them the same genre but they scratch the same itch, if that makes sense

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The characters are cute and iconic and easy to draw, the same trifecta that lead to Undertale.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean yeah the actual buttons you press are pretty different but the emotional impact is nearly identical. Exploration of a dark, somber world with only vague hints of what's going on. A branching, intertwined world structure. Challenging bosses you aren't expected to overcome on your first attempt

Like I wouldn't call them the same genre but they scratch the same itch, if that makes sense

Oh for sure, I agree with all of that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hollow Knight sucks very bad and is very ugly

AceOfFlames posted:

Joke's on you, my Sellsword Twinblades Dex build allowed me to beat Nameless King on my very first try. :smug:

...or is that :thejoke:?

How the gently caress can you launch a flight simulator without the Boeing 737? What, are they waiting for the MAX to come back?

It's a giantdad joke

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Just loving lol if you don’t have a Hollow Knight OC made after a bug you like.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like the dark souls platforming challenges more than the Hollow Knight ones

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ok maybe not

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if there's anything to not like about hollow knight it's a little big but other than that it's v good. 5 stars/5 stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
imo the flaws of hollow knight are: takes a bit too long to get you the core movement powers, and until you get the portal thing the boss runs can kind of suck