Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bowsette lost last month's poll
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 211 46.27%
Bowsette, but a SUPER horny version to piss more people off 126 27.63%
vTuber Bowsette (Also horny) 51 11.18%
Kirby, but sexy like Bowsette 41 8.99%
Bowser 27 5.92%
Total: 456 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rank Metroidvania

1. Vania
2. Metroid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Vania but when it's like tons of overlapping bullshit that's fun to play with if not particularly necessary, see: SotN

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

Vania but when it's like tons of overlapping bullshit that's fun to play with if not particularly necessary, see: SotN

Bloodstained did this too, it was super fun to dick around and power your stuff up to become insanely broken

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
yeah I really liked bloodstained despite it being kind of a mess. I have very mixed feelings about them balancing patching stuff because, yeah, I'm into making weak stuff stronger but I am kind of never fully convinced by the 'they have to nerd X because it's too good and the only thing worth using' in a single player game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hot take: everything core to a "Metroidvania" was in Metroid and the name is redundant

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I got wrecked by the Watcher Knights in HK for a long time

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hot take: everything core to a "Metroidvania" was in Metroid and the name is redundant

A billion meaningless but fun items

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wasn't aware that Samus Aran had stats that level up, thank you for showing us the light!!!

May 8, 2006

Samus can't toss peanuts and have to catch them to get hp back so really it's the Metroid that can be cut

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

the origin of the name was a term to describe the castlevanias which resembled metroids (as opposed to the early ones, which didn't)

then people started using it to describe the genre rather than a sub-category of castlevania

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Castlevania Metroidvania games are inherently inferior due to stats for nerds.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Works out because Metroidvania sounds cooler than Metroidesque or some similar variation, imho.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Metroidoid

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

postmodifier posted:

I wasn't aware that Samus Aran had stats that level up, thank you for showing us the light!!!

gotta ask two things one is more of a statement: taking what u just said at face value makes metroid games not metroidvanias alongside most metroidvanias that arent specifically castlevania games. second thing is what do u think you are doing by collecting e tanks and armor in metroid games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

stev posted:

Castlevania Metroidvania games are inherently inferior due to stats for nerds.

Stats are good, I love em

Especially the ones that I can't tell even do anything and in fact do nothing at all for all I know

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

postmodifier posted:

Samus is always at max level even if her suit is not

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

Its Steam page says "Touhou Luna Nights is a 2D search action (Metroidvania) video game" which is a little too much honesty in genre naming for me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In Metroid Other M Samus needs to level up her independence stat a few billion times so she can use the "turn on my armor's better life support system so I don't burn to death" skill

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Every time this comes up I think about how the SOTN devs never played Metroid

May 8, 2006

if they had alucard would be in a huge robot suit

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sotn devs love the name and think it fits

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thinking about the Hypnospace-style timeline where everyone calls them "Troidlikes", bwl

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Stux posted:

gotta ask two things one is more of a statement: taking what u just said at face value makes metroid games not metroidvanias alongside most metroidvanias that arent specifically castlevania games. second thing is what do u think you are doing by collecting e tanks and armor in metroid games.

show me the numbers stux, SHOW ME THE NUMBERS!!!!

you know who else collects e-tanks and armor???

a little blue boy we all like to call

megaman

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Mega Man Zero is a RPG

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hatty posted:

Mega Man Zero is a RPG

Mega Man Legends is a metroidvania

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the only megaman i care about is battle network

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

lets hang out posted:

Every time this comes up I think about how the SOTN devs never played Metroid

for real?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
also just duh? Metroids are metroids, castlevanias are castlevanias...

The word is not intended to refer to either of its constituent parts, but to flag games that borrow heavily from an admixture of gated exploration and character growth/rpg-action-lite systems...

Show me a samus aran that can input a hadouken command to launch a screen full of missiles to annhilate a bunch of wildly floating medusa heads and I will show you god

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

postmodifier posted:

Show me a samus aran that can input a hadouken command to launch a screen full of missiles to annhilate a bunch of wildly floating medusa heads and I will show you god

Please Nintendo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've never played Metroid either, the SotN devs ain't special.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1283181094989295616?s=20

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The wind is pushing me

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Wolves hunt in packs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Eggs are real good, y'all.

I made a batch of soft-boiled eggs to marinate for future ramen and I ate one right then and there

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Metroid wasn't even considered to be a metroidvania until a couple years ago.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No feste no sale

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am surprised to see this and hope it helps Capcom with deciding to make a sequel.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/DragonsDogma/status/1283191069501530119?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/SM64SGI_Project/status/1282857023013629952