Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My wife really likes the original series and has been watching through the old ones on Amazon lately.

The cases they picked for this reboot are fine (except the UFO one, that one was a slog). However, this doesn't really feel like the original series whatsoever outside of the theme song. There's no narrator and each episode is one story instead of like 4-5 stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The first episode is a good mystery and i don’t know if we will ever get an answer

The one with the party is also kind of a mystery in the sense that they don’t seem to have a suspect but we have an idea of what happened. The salon owner one is maybe a mystery but there are definitely suspects.

There’s a show that airs on the ID channel called ‘Disappeared’ where they look at disappearance cases and a lot of them it’s really hard to say what happened. Although some of them are clearly cases of ‘they went to commit suicide’ and over time they found their remains.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I've watched 5/6 of the new set.

The Japan one does feel like a documentary made separately or something. It's kind of like the UFO one from Volume 1, in that it doesn't fit with the other episodes. Almost all of the other episodes are murders or disappearances, and then you have the two paranormal ones.

The first episode of this new volume has the family really pushing for this guy to have been murdered for something at work when that is not at all clear. It appears like he got confused, wandered off, and got beaten to death by some unsavory people before being dumped in a dumpster. I don't think it was a hit or anything like the family seems to think.

The dead girl in Norway is almost certainly some kind of dead spy. I had been thinking that from the beginning, but when they talked to that Norwegian intelligence officer it became even more clear. It just makes no sense for someone to go to the trouble of removing all of the labels from all of their clothing. The fact that with all of the publicity around that case, no one has come forward to say that they even knew her, also suggests that she was some kind of spy who got burned or caught and killed.

The escaped death row inmate may be dead at this point. If he is alive, he would be in his late 70s now, and the fact that there have been no sightings in some time after he kept popping up in the 90s makes me think that maybe he died. Or he left the country, although I find that less likely because he does not seem to have had the means to do something like that. The guy was scraping around in the margins of society doing odd jobs/janitorial work because he was using fake names and needed to work a job that would pay him and not ask a lot of questions.

The drowned woman one, it's kind of hard to say. It does seem like something suspicious happened to her, but it seems like there's no way to prove it. I will say that if she was deliberately abducted and killed, as the family believes, whoever did it would have to be an extremely skilled professional because they left absolutely no evidence and no real wounds on the body. Regardless I don't see this getting solved because they have no real evidence that a crime even occurred.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

baalaagaa posted:

Needs more of the wacky paranormal episodes. As it stands this reboot is just another bland true crime show in a market already drowning in them.
Some of the cases are interesting, but they really should have hired a narrator

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well not really because they determined that he died of being beaten to death

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I swear in the political guy episode they said that the cops ruled out him getting hurt in the dumpster but maybe I am crazy

The UFO one was really weird but the town had almost no records of that incident so I am pretty much writing it off as a mass hallucination event (which is something that has occurred in the past).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I got a tip for the FBI about Lester Eubanks:

He was successfully rehabilitated and lived for like 60 years without committing another crime. He probably dead.
Yeah this is my thought as well

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have never heard of sex workers going to those kind of extreme lengths to remove evidence of their identity like that, and on top of that, wouldn't some family have come forward by now to say who she was?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I do think it became a little too generic but it’s alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Right, I still think it was suicide, and they never at any point make a compelling case as to why someone would want him dead. The stuff with his work seemed like a red herring.