Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
The first episode was very good, the sort of strange and ambiguous case that was really the highlight of the original.

Kind of went downhill from there, for me anyway. I don't really have much stomach for toxic relationships and lovely people. The last one was just too depressing for me to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

TheAardvark posted:

An interesting thing about the case from episode one is that there was a True Crime author living in the Belvedere who heard a crash that night at 10pm loud enough to write it down in her journal. She was never interviewed because the cops seemingly didn't give a poo poo at all ("wandered around talking to a few people" or whatever). They used the body as a learning session for like a dozen police and then left the scene wide open, which the author took advantage of to go look around.

Rey was also 70k in debt from investing in a big investment video he was doing, and another 20k on top of that.

Stansberry was out there searching and upping the reward up until the body was found - he was out of state and flew up immediately to do so. The show made it seem a lot more like he was a real suspect.

Somebody on Reddit said he was a regular at one of the restaurants and was backed up by somebody else. Also a few people saying there was footage of him at the hotel that night and was aired during local news reports of the incident.

I'm pretty sure the guy killed himself and suspect that Stansberry's business is a bit sketchy but in ways that have nothing to do with people dying.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

kuddles posted:

Yeah, the new series is clearly taking more inspiration from all the true crime series on streaming services the last several years than it is the original program.

Which is too bad because I would love to watch corny dramatizations with modern production values.

Low production values are part of the charm, and the original is a genuine product of its time. An imitation just would just feel artificial I think.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
Prostitution is legal in Norway. Soliciting is currently illegal, but it wasn't in 1995. No reason for it sub rosa. Maybe she was just depressed and wanted to be alone before she committed suicide. That stuff about checking in without an ID and the serial number being filed off the gun is really weird though. I doubt it was anything as grandiose as the Norwegian intelligence guy was saying, but definitely weird.

That, the first episode, and the lady in the lake were the only ones that really grabbed me. I'm just not going to watch that one about the kids.