Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Taear posted:

Plenty of episodes in season 1 left stuff out, it's...a shame, i get why but still

I kinda don't get the point of making the show if you're going to leave stuff out, particularly pretty important aspects of a case. Yeah of course the original did this at times too, but given they were short segments you can almost understand why they were a bit more...'selective' with what they included. Even so, a lot of the time they reported what they believed were the facts at the time (not counting the Supernatural stuff that Stack could barely hide his disdain from).

There's no real difference between this and the true crime shows on YouTube. At least they seem better researched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

That Chapter is a very good one and Mike does a hell of a job especially with having a very consistent release schedule

Ha that's who I had in mind when I made that comment. And there's a few others that I like, as well as a couple of podcasts. Having said that, we don't really know how well researched these shows are until they cover a case that you're interested in and realise what they choose to include and leave out, much like UM does I guess.

Its a shame we don't have a true crime subforum somewhere.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

The politician guy with dementia who always forgot where his car was and took a taxi home and was clearly deteriorating and melting down at a neighbour seemed incredibly solved to me.

The more I've read and watched about true crime, the more I've seen unexplained disappearences likely being little more than people not knowing the signs of mental distress because it was a time when this stuff wasn't talked about.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The more you look at the Rey Rivera case from Season 1 the more trash this show becomes. The attempted ties to the investment company are outright lies, not a misunderstanding, but lies. They're a bad company but they don't even deal in shares etc, they just sell advice to old people for a yearly fee. lovely, yes, but not some big money operation.

What is pretty interesting though is the Reddit theory that he took inspiration from THE GAME, the David Fincher movie, particularly the ending. It can be seen in his collection of movies and is referenced in his note as well as his increasing interest in the Freemasons and Scientology. I don't know that I buy it, but once you remove the conspiracy angle you're left without much choice but suicide.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right, I still think it was suicide, and they never at any point make a compelling case as to why someone would want him dead. The stuff with his work seemed like a red herring.

Yeah the more you look at it the more that particular aspect seems to fall apart. And if Porter Stansberry's comments are true then it leaves even less doubt that he killed himself (or at least no one had a hand in his death).

According to him Rivera's wife admitted to police that they had been up on that rooftop before to watch the sun go down. Stansberry had co-operated with the police and offered a reward for any information and hadn't put a gag order on everyone as claimed, but that any enquiries from the media should go to the legal team, which is pretty standard stuff.

It's all easily verifiable as well so you'd think he'd have to be pretty confident in his claims.