Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

for the first episode is anyone else, like, thinking that he was developing schizophrenia, or had some other psychotic break due to work or was on the outs because of the things he was writing about, thought he had to go to the hotel for whatever reason (secret society paranoia, meeting someone, genuine sudden suicidal intent) made his way to the roof (while someone on a break isn't exactly inconspicuous, the swiss cheese model of failure is a thing) got to one of the corners and was pushed or slipped (what was the weather like that day?) fell down, bounced off the ledge and tumbled down to the roof? I mean, the momentum a cell phone or pair of glasses wouldn't exactly come close to a 250 or whatever pound man so its far from unusual to see those relatively undamaged.

firstly even with "bouncing off" the ledge he's not going to end up 40 feet away from the hotel, and secondly if you think a pair of glasses would survive a fall like that you've obviously never worn any

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Friend posted:

And it totally seemed like if you slid from the roof to that lower edge, you could easily jump to the hole.

the roof is like two storeys above the ledge, it's a very nearly vertical wall and the ledge looks to be 3 or 4 feet wide at most, good luck sliding down that

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

so your theory is that after falling roughly 20 feet from the roof he hit a flat ledge hard enough to catapult him 40 feet away from the building

his glasses were not flung off by this impact but instead remained on his face until some point later in the fall when they somehow bounced off his face so as to take no damage when they landed

and this also somehow happened to his cell phone

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Why are you just making up assumptions about what I said rather than what I actually said?

Chaos makes weird and hard to explain things happen.

oops my bad

clearly I forgot to take into account the ~chaos~ involved in *checks notes* a guy falling off a roof

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Are you really trying to say that probability has no role to play in how a body tumbles through the air or how objects on said body interact with the environment? There are an infinite number of ways things can fall and since no one knows the exact way things fell, we kind of have to assume the broadest possible outcome.

you clearly don't understand probability very well if your takeaway is "well we can't rule out anything no matter how unlikely it is"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

:rolleyes: It's lucky then that I'm not talking about unlikely things. Why is it so hard to imagine that something could happen that you wouldn't expect?

glasses and a cell phone being almost undamaged after falling 100 feet is "not unlikely"? OK yeah sure whatever you win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

episode 7 feels like a definite case of corporate espionage to me

I can't believe the smoke bombs in the construction site was him trying to stop the renovation, a soldier who was in Vietnam would know a hundred ways to burn a loving house down, my theory was it was intended to lure him outside where he'd be vulnerable

they took his wallet, keys and briefcase (didn't get the phone because he dropped it outside and they couldn't find it) and did a bit of searching in his house (I don't know if hiding secrets in the spice jars is a thing people actually do or if it's just made up for spy novels), probably threaten to come back for him if he tells anyone

after that he's basically in a never-ending spiral of panic and paranoia (and he's off his meds because they were kept in, where else, the briefcase)

he goes to the pharmacy to get someone to drive him to Wilmington because he needs someone he can trust, he can't find his car so assumes it's been stolen, maybe the thing with the shoe is he thinks it's been bugged? he hunkers down in a random office building where no-one can find him, then when that's no longer safe he makes a move but gets taken again

then whoever's taken him beats the poo poo out of him because they still need information from him, then they throw him in the dumpster either dead or dying and then he arrives on the landfill the next morning

or maybe I've spent too much time reading second-grade spy thrillers during lockdown