Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for June, 2020?
This poll is closed.
:black101: Arisa Nakajima (Beyond the SEA Single Championship) 20 28.17%
Asuka (Raw Women's Champion) 13 18.31%
:mump: Tetsuya Endo (KO-D Openweight Champion) 8 11.27%
:snod: Go Shiozaki (GHC Heavyweight Champion) 7 9.86%
:livintrope: Masato Tanaka (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) 4 5.63%
:scotland: Drew McIntyre (WWE Champion) 3 4.23%
:wookie: Braun Strowman (WWE Universal Champion) 0 0%
Suwama (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
:waycool: None of the Above 16 22.54%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last month was all AEW all the time, which basically summed up the last couple of months in wrestling really. The AEW Women's Champion came close many times in recent months but could never quite get by the men's champion, but last month she wasn't to be denied. The two top vote-getters were AEW Women's Champions. Nyla Rose had a great showing but the woman who beat her in the ring beat her in the polls too: with over twice the votes, Hikaru Shida became the first woman since December of 2018 to win the monthly poll. AEW Men's Champion Jon Moxley took third place, meaning AEW got roughly 75% of all votes cast for May. But their dominance won't continue in June due to a lack of title defenses this month, meaning the field is right open this month!

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. COVID-19 is still rampaging through the world, in the United States in particular, and the #SpeakingOut movement exposed a lot of monstrous people in wrestling in June as well, so we're still living in "interesting times".

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread. Smackdown Women's Champion Bayley, AEW Men's Champion Jon Moxley, and AEW Women's Champion Hikaru Shida did not defend their titles this month so drop off the poll, as does 2AW's Yuji Okabayashi. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

:livintrope: Masato Tanaka (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) - Masato Tanaka had never lost a match in DDT, with the only blot on his record being a time limit draw against HARASHIMA in December of last year. But that all changed at Peter Pan, where his opponent remembered that you just have to believe...

:mump: Tetsuya Endo (KO-D Openweight Champion) - At Wrestle Peter Pan, Endo became the first man in DDT to defeat Masato Tanaka and became the only #TetsuyaTwoBelts you'll be seeing on the poll *this* month. Unfortunately for Endo, his June didn't end as successfully as it started, as #DAMNHEARTS lost their six man titles to Eruption and he failed to capture the tag team titles from Nautilus. He will defend the belt in front of DDT's first Korakuen audience in five months against Yuki Ueno on July 23rd. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

Asuka (Raw Women's Champion) - After grinding her way through a bad program with Nia Jax that still didn't have a definitive ending, Asuka at least managed to put paid to an ongoing storyline that she wasn't able to beat Charlotte Flair in a singles match... by beating Charlotte Flair in a singles match to retain her title. Now she's building towards a title defense against Sasha Banks, which is probably gonna be a hell of a match.

:scotland: Drew McIntyre (WWE Champion) - Drew defeated Bobby Lashley at Backlash after Lashley was somewhat distracted by the arrival of his "wife" Lana and her ongoing argument with manager MVP. Lashley tried to take advantage in a follow-up match on Raw where Drew tagged with R-Truth against Lashley & MVP and the WWE Title was on the line, but Drew was able to beat the odds and retain his belt there. Now Drew is working on a program with... oh, Dolph Ziggler.

:wookie: Braun Strowman (WWE Universal Champion) - After being bothered with childish pranks by his opponents, Braun Strowman defeated The Miz and John Morrison in a handicap match at Backlash to retain his title. Not long after he was challenged by Bray Wyatt in his old Swamp Cultist persona, presumably to set up yet another match against The Fiend persona later.

:snod: Go Shiozaki (GHC Heavyweight Champion) - Returning to the poll with his first title defence since his bizarre empty arena match against Kazuyuki Fujita, Go faced Akitoshi Saito as the two remaining participants in Mitsuharu Misawa's final match faced off at his memorial show. After beating defeated by Shiozaki, an emotional Saito thanked his opponent for giving him closure after suffering from guilt over Misawa's death for eleven years. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:black101: Arisa Nakajima (Beyond the SEA Single Championship) - Nakajima earned her spot on the poll by defending her title in a forums approved MOTYC against Asuka (and because the regular joshi companies didn't run any title matches...). The next challenge for Nakajima comes in the form of suddenly popular TikTok sensation Yoshiko in what is certain to be SEAdLINNNG's first ever Korakuen Hall sell out on July 13th. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

Suwama (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - Suwama's recordbreaking title reign continued as he was able to defeat another younger opponent in a near-30 minute match at The Triple Crown of Wilderness show.

:waycool: None of the Above - If you think it's way cool that we have an open field to choose from this month... but still don't want to vote for any of them, this is the option for you. You can vote None of the Above even if you think having an open field ISN'T cool. We don't discriminate.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I voted for Go Shiozaki, because he is the only one in the list that I have seen wrestle live.

(It was a couple of years ago, when I went to Yokohama on holidays. It was fun.)

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Voted for Arisa cause Bayley's not there.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Voted for Endo, but Arisa or Shiozaki would be an excellent consolation prize

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 2, 2020

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Stanfield posted:

Voted for Arisa cause Bayley's not there.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Suwama vs Shotaro Ashino happened on the 30th for the All Japan Triple Crown. Haven't seen it yet but whoever won it is well in with a shout. Especially if it's Ashino. But as that's not an option I'm leaning towards Go because holy poo poo the match he got out of Saito was phenomenal and also very emotional.

https://twitter.com/RealHero12089/status/1272323754476044288?s=20

If you've not seen it you should.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stanfield posted:

Voted for None of the Above cause Bayley's not there.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Ayayayayayayayayay

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

how do i not vote for the Beyond the SEA champion when will i ever get that kind of opportunity again

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

why cant i vote for yuka, this is terrible

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

why cant i vote for yuka, this is terrible

Because she hasn't defended her belt since February?

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Voted for Tanaka last month, so I voted for Endo this time. Hopefully July is a better month for him.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Voted "other" for Sasha/Bayley tag team.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Cody Rhodes defended his title this month

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Reality Protester posted:

Not sure how that's relevant to this thread

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
congrats AEW, enjoy a well-deserved break

gonna vote for my friend, he wont win but thats ok

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Reality Protester posted:

Yeah & it's a second tier title. The basic rules are "Top singles champion, defend their belt this month" as far as I can tell.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

voted for someone who i haven't seen a match of in 2020

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
more than being champion of the world, Cody Rhodes is champion of television

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The only one of these I've actually seen wrestle last month is Arisa, so she kinda gets my vote by default.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

The only one of these I've actually seen wrestle last month is Arisa, so she kinda gets my vote by default.

Should watch the Go vs Akitoshi match I linked then

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

If anyone hasn't seen Arisa vs. Asuka yet they should

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqqTEXdiBII

If anyone hasn't seen Tetsuya Endo yet they should

https://twitter.com/entetsu_ddt/status/1269164995075387394

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

If anyone hasn't seen Arisa vs. Asuka yet they should

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqqTEXdiBII

If anyone hasn't seen Tetsuya Endo yet they should

https://twitter.com/entetsu_ddt/status/1269164995075387394

:agreed: on both counts

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Gonna vote for Arisa that match was sick

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I pragmatically voted for Nakajima because I'd rather she won than None of the Above. Otherwise I'd have voted Suwama or Shiozaki.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

I voted for Shiozaki, but that Arisa defence slaps real hard too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Suwama vs Shotaro Ashino happened on the 30th for the All Japan Triple Crown.

My apologies, I've added in Suwama as a late addition to the poll.

There are still 3 days to vote!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping for visibility, and a reminder to VOTE!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

seems like all of the 'none' votes should be given to suwama in fairness

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cavauro posted:

seems like all of the 'none' votes should be given to suwama in fairness

This is a good post

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

With AEW out of the picture and New Japan back in the wrestling scene but not on the Champ Poll yet, it was a chance for somebody new to seize top position. Somebody did, despite a lower than normal turnout, as Arisa Nakajima won Champ of the Month in her FIRST ever appearance in our monthly polls. This was also the first ever win for the SEAdLINNNG promotion. An aberration? Perhaps. But history will always record that on FIGHT ISLAND, June of 2020 belonged to Arisa Nakajima.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Now we're at the halfway point of the year, I'll collate some of the statistics I've built up for the last decade+ of these champ polls in the next day or so and share them here, just to see what if any pearls of wisdom or humor we might be able to generate from the changing fortunes of various wrestlers/promotions over the years, as well as our own shifting tastes.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the streak of boys... is over. but it was last month though. i forgot

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

One of the most internationally dominant months we've had

:lol: at how far Braun fell that he still hasn't gotten a single vote in 3 months of eligibility

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cavauro posted:

the streak of boys... is over. but it was last month though. i forgot

It's the first time ever we've had two different women back to back.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
it's incredible to me that jack swagger was so popular in wh20k ten years ago. he's absolutely hated now.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you click through the images you can see the poll results (on most of them) and i fully understand why swagger won that second one because anyone 'fresh' who had that title would have done it. but i don't get the first one

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Swagger only won in Jan 09 because whoever was running the poll back then didn't give people the chance to vote for a young Tanahashi.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

oops, i didn't realize swagger won it three times. my last post is under the wrong assumption that he won it twice in 2010, so i was talking about his second and third wins respectively. NJPW wasn't counted until 2011 because it used to be real fighting until then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I'm sorry Cavauro, I misinterpreted your post and have made a fool of myself