Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Perry Mason is a soft reboot slash prequel of the ancient Perry Mason defense attorney drama, now featuring Perry's early days as a private dick in 1930's Hollywood, available on HBO. If you're a fan of LA Noire, or Mickey Spillane novels, then this is absolutely the series for you. Starring Matthew Rhys from The Americans (apparently people loved this show, I never saw too much of it) as the titular Perry, he plays a low-rent divorced busybody who ends up getting wrapped up in a conspiracy centered around a kidnapping gone wrong, while struggling to hold onto his family farm and coping with the memories of his time fighting in some of the most brutal battles of The Great War. Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNATvJMPZaA

So for now they've said this is a miniseries, but it could turn into something more, especially with the hugely positive reception it's gotten so far. There's two episodes out now, the first one is free on Youtube in it's entirety - :nws: warning for nudity and stuff I won't spoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGn2tLaYgdc

I like this show a lot so far - the acting is great, they've put together an amazing cast including John Lithgow and loving Robert Patrick of all people. The real star is the aesthetics - the cinematography beats most movies, the set dressing is fantastic, and the music is just perfect - all together it's like catnip, especially for someone like me who grew up reading Mickey Spillane, playing LA Noire, and watching A Nero Wolfe Mystery. They've barely set up the story so far just one episode in, so it definitely feels like a slow burner this time around, but there's all your classic noir favorites - corrupt studio executives, a horrific tragedy with layers of conspiracy and betrayal baked in, a church with a wild pastor, and a divorced detective gently caress-up struggling to put his life together.

I've never made a TV/IV thread before so my apologies if this is a little thin for an OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I've only caught some reviews of this show so far, but I liked the tidbits of plot/tone that the reviews laid out so I may end up checking this out. I'm an absolute sucker for courtroom dramas though, so if they kept this reboot going and start heading more and more into that territory I'd really like it.

I do know from the review that they take at least one very clear shot at the structure of the original show, so that's always fun.

What people today might not recognize is just how insanely popular Perry Mason has been. The Perry Mason book series is the third best-selling book series of all time with more than 80 books. The original T.V. show had 271 episodes, and NBC eventually followed up that show with 30 T.V. movies.

And since I haven't seen or read any of it, doing a Perry mason deep dive may be just the thing to do when I get bored and want to fill up roughly a full year of my life consuming those various media, assuming I find them interesting.

Anyway, I bring up that level of past popularity mostly to point out that doing a hip reboot in a modern T.V. style seems like a very safe move, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they kept making them in a mini-series format, kind of a throwback to the serials of old. As much as I want more courtroom stuff as a general rule, catering to that noire style and going with this prequel smart is absolutely the way to go, both creatively and in terms of drawing in audience attention. I want Mason being an attorney and taking on a case to be treated like waiting for Bruce Wayne to become Batman in Gotham with a really kickass score coming in when that happens.

Alright now I'm clearly thinking about this show too much, so I'll definitely check it out, probably without even waiting for the whole season to be out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've been watching a lot of Perry Mason on MeTV over the past year, and I'm a sucker for a detective/noir/crime show or whatever you want to call it. It's right up my alley.

One question though, is it established in the books that he was a PI before becoming a lawyer? It's not a huge deal, but I was just a little confused when I saw he's a PI in this series.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wow, this second episode... absolutely bonechilling. It's impressive how gnarly they've gotten, with some fantastic flashbacks to WW1 and the gore.

The sermon at the end too rocked, and it only gets wilder after that. You get a lot more John Lithgow than I was expecting! He's a hoot.

For what's only an 8 episode run, it's incredible what they've accomplished so far.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I only know about Perry Mason from the Ozzy song but this looks pretty promising, will definitely check it out.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

This show feels pretty special so far (episode 2). The photography and editing is phenomenal — they've hit a dreamlike quality, but never head too deep into the surreal. The scoring, almost always present, is an an anachronistic blend of comforting melancholic horns and threatening electronica. It works well to cement the feeling of a worn-out city being given a second and violent birth in the post-depression era.

Too tired to write about the characters, just gonna say that they're wonderful, sometimes tiptoeing dangerously close to being clichés, played by a formidable cast.

I haven't once felt that the show wastes your time, which is unusual nowadays. I hope they can keep up the current pace.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 6, 2020

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Sorry to blaspheme against Sister Alice but John Lithgow may just be giving the best performance on the show. It's heartbreaking to see how E.B.'s bluster is masking his obvious physical and mental deterioration from those around him and they probably just think he's being more of a jerk then normal.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finished the third episode. Hot drat. The pace ripped like a machinegun this time around, it's amazing what a full hour can do for a show like this. Lithgow seriously stole the show again, that dueling monologue opening bit was phenomenal.

Also nice to see we're in real noir territory, they've started talking about land deals.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Land deals are definitely a spot on every Noir bingo card.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Shea Wingham, as usual, is a wonderful supporting character.
I like the humorous touches the show has. Mason lighting the paper on fire as he walked out of the restaurant away had me cracking up.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I hated this.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I thought the Studio Chief WAS evil Groucho Marx, not just "that he looks like him".

I'm in, but the amount of "FUCKS" was distracting.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Loving this so far. I have no relation to earlier Perry Mason media, so I have no frame of reference.

Always glad to see Eli from Boardwalk Empire get some more jobs.

[edit] Goddamn that "reckon that makes YOU the N-word" line is pretty topical, huh.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 7, 2020

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If you've never heard the TV Perry Mason theme, you're missing out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOpxLa9PPto

I liked the second episode the best so far. I love Lithgow, but I dunno. Something is off about it. Probably because Mason isn't too likeable right now, and I'm waiting for him to get to that point.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Normally, I eschew grimdark remakes of old TV shows, but I think the noir style and immersive art design make this enjoyable. I'm loving it so far.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know if it's necessarily grimdark, it certainly sprinkles in some gruesome scenes here and there for shock, but they seem to be weighted appropriately, or at least like with the last episode, contrasted appropriately with a little bit of comedy.

So my theory so far is the real baby is still alive and was swapped out for an orphan baby, and the priest woman is going to "resurrect" baby charlie dodson as a PR stunt in order to raise money for the church's new town project, and this was their entire conspiracy all along, and they roped the wife into it to hire the goons to kidnap the baby, then turned one of them and killed the others in order to cover up the evidence, as we saw by the fake suicide with the misplaced dentures

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I think it's the noir that saves it from grimdark. Without those elements, it's grim. And dark.

Mainly, though, I'm waiting for them to come up with a way to have someone ask, "Who can we get on the case?" To which someone yells, "We need Per-ry Ma-son...." And I want this because I'm a tremendous dummy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is not your Daddy's Perry Mason this is Perry Mason that fucks.

Now that is out of the way I really like it, the first episode with Perry yelling at his Lawyer to object :discourse:

Like all good Noir mysteries I don't care who did it or why I just get a thrill watching Perry unravel it slash decide to stick up for this person.

Shea Whigham owns as well.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I kind of hated the first episode, but the second was an immediate and vast improvement, and the third continued that momentum, so I'm in for the long haul I guess.

I said it in the Couch Chat thread, but this has to be one of the most stacked casts in TV history. Even the judge this week was Matt Frewer!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And Stephen Root is always fantastic.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

algebra testes posted:

And Stephen Root is always fantastic.

I will forever see him only playing the character Jimmy James from NewsRadio

Agreement with the rest of the thread that the first episode was slow/weak but the 2nd and this past 3rd have been fantastic. Really enjoying the show

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
But Jimmy has fancy plans. And pants to match.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Haven't gotten fully caught up but I'm glad to see Tatiana Malasany getting work. She killed it on Orphan Black.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Shea Wingham continues to be the poor man's Christian Bale.

Perry Mason slaps raw rear end and three episodes deep, is on-par with some of David Simon's work.

I kinda hope Perry stays a PI and never steps into E.B.'s shoes. I could watch him solve little Chinatowns for a hundred years.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Shea Wingham continues to be the poor man's Christian Bale.

Perry Mason slaps raw rear end and three episodes deep, is on-par with some of David Simon's work.

I kinda hope Perry stays a PI and never steps into E.B.'s shoes. I could watch him solve little Chinatowns for a hundred years.

And I kinda hoped Anakin would tell Palpatine to go gently caress himself so he could become a powerful Jedi, stop the Empire from happening, and raise his kids in peace with love, the Force, and very, very little sand. (Anakin is not overfond of sand.)

We know where this is ending. At best, we can hope for an alternate universe where Perry keeps being this version of Perry. Although, I mean, it's not like Counselor Perry, Esquire was a bad guy. The only times his clients were guilty was when they actually ended up being not guilty after all.

So, what's up with EB, anyway? Mrs. Tarlibone and I both think that it's early dementia, and that if Perry doesn't suspect it, EB's Gal Friday probably does. I'm not 100% sure about that, because he was bleeding into the sink, presumably from somewhere on/in his head. So, maybe Cancer of the Television Noggin, which conveniently has subtle but noticeable neurological symptoms combined with untimely head bleeding?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I like the hints that EB is generally either washed up or not as hot poo poo as he thinks he is. With the judge treating him like a schmuck and his former partner (???) hating him

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
True Detective Season 4: LA Noir '32

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Perry Mason: Dreamland

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I didn't really know what to expect going in but as soon as episode 1 began with Fatty Arbuckle chasing Perry Mason down the street with his massive hog swinging in the wind I knew I was gonna love it. Can't wait to see where it goes and hopefully they may make a full series of it and not just this one-off.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Was bored to death during the first episode, just bored during the second, will give it one more. The actors, acting, sets, etc. are amazing but the pacing and plotting are slow and generally not great. Really want to like it though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

False posted:

Was bored to death during the first episode, just bored during the second, will give it one more. The actors, acting, sets, etc. are amazing but the pacing and plotting are slow and generally not great. Really want to like it though.

It's not like other shows. Hell I already predicted the mainline plot of the season in an earlier post, I think, but. Could be wrong!

This is a show focused on characters, visuals, and aesthetics, and jesus gently caress, they're so loving nailing it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
So we have a cult-like church taking people's money, trying to spread their super-important word around the world, and oh yeah, they're mostly in naval-themed costume.

I mean... c'mon. C'mon, people.

Am I crazy for thinking that they're basing this part of the show on the study of scients?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
enjoyed the first episode, it was a little slow but they've got scene-setting to do so I'm OK with it

I like that they're making Mason a bit like Marlowe in that he's kind of a fuckup who's not actually all that good at his job but somehow still gets results

and him getting hosed off the bed got a genuine laugh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

False posted:

Third is the first one I’ve really enjoyed. I thought the first and second were pretty meh (the war flashbacks in episode 2 are like the most generic loving thing ever), but 3 develops some of the characters in interesting ways.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I dunno, executing his own men point blank was something else

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lol even the cats aren't safe

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I really like it. But i have to wonder about the church. Would a mainstream charismastic evangelical movement really allow a woman to preach in 1932 no matter how fantastically talented she was? Remember that women wearing pants was still borderline taboo at the time. I would also imagine a race mixed choir performing in a public place (outside the jail) would have been extremely scandalous at the time. Maybe that`s the point, this is not a ordinary church for good or for worse. Creepy in a lot of ways but not necessarly in the usual rigth wing way that`s become standard for modern megachurches.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Baudolino posted:

I really like it. But i have to wonder about the church. Would a mainstream charismastic evangelical movement really allow a woman to preach in 1932 no matter how fantastically talented she was?

They did. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aimee_Semple_McPherson

There was also the far more glamorous Reba Crawford who had performed and preached on Broadway: https://pastdaily.com/2017/05/14/reba-crawford-1930s-past-daily/

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Great episode. A lot of neat stuff in here. And the show just dealt a blow to the sexual mores of the time (and to a lesser degree, our time) when Della Street got outed as not the man in charge, but the woman who knows what's going on, at the office.

I thought that EB was going to commit suicide by hanging. Something about dragging the chair into a room... you know, stand on the chair, rope around the neck, knock the chair over or kick it away, and dead.

But, an impromptu gas chamber? Actually, nice, and period-correct. It wasn't until a school exploded in Texas in 1937 that the US started to regulate the use of odorants in natural gas, so EB would really just sit there and fade out to his favorite show, "Hummingbirds."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
This show definitely rules, highlight of my week.