Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LadyPictureShow posted:

Stephen Root is doing an incredible job in his role, because I absolutely can't wait for Mason to connect the dots and destroy his argument. What an absolute piece of poo poo the DA is.

The best part of the character is it is clear that he knows something is up, he just doesn't care and wants to win for the publicity.

Well he does care as far as it affects his ability to do his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah you can see how this will be a case that makes Mason. He's going to take down the DA and expose huge corruption inside a church and the police department.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Along with Mason calling Ennis as a defense witness, I'd love it if Mason:

-Got the judge to be okay with him calling a witness who's not on his list (citing the 15 minutes he had to prepare for the Matron).
-Called the Matron to the stand as a defense witness and got her to say that Emily wasn't left unattended or questioned without her lawyer and had her repeat what she said she heard Emily say, then produced depositions from the other prisoners who were crammed into the cell next to Emily's testifying about what Emily really said, getting the Sister up there to dispute it as well, and then calling up the secretary to talk about how the detectives were trying to beat a confession out of Emily and reinforce that the Matron lied about that (nearby prisoner depositions/testimony could be useful here too). Basically, it seems like there's a mountain of ways to discredit the Matron's testimony, and I hope Mason's on the ball enough to do it. Stuff like securing the testimony from nearby prisoners would be a nice way to show that while Mason's currently an overall lovely lawyer, he's willing to put in the leg work to make up for it.
-Realized that Emily has basically gone crazy, and chose not to put her on the stand because it'd be a huge risk (pretty much the same logic behind why the DA didn't call Ennis). I think she's going on the stand anyway, and I think you lose points with the Jury if she doesn't, but I just think he'd end up losing more points when she breaks down in five different ways on the stand.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 28, 2020

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
My main fear, if you could call it that, is that they might still swerve into some bullshit AU territory and kill off Della or something. Like "LOL this ain't your grampa's Perry Mason, it's a whole new ballgame, no plot armor here."

The new Star Trek broke me.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Twin brother next season!

I'm hoping he turns up as a completely different character and no-one bats an eyelid

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm hoping he turns up as a completely different character and no-one bats an eyelid

I don't know, I kind of hope he shows up as the twin brother, but he asks everybody if he can just take over his brother's job. And, he asks everybody to call him by his brother's name, you know, in tribute to his brother.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ah yes, the classic beerfest approach. Works for me!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mirage posted:

My main fear, if you could call it that, is that they might still swerve into some bullshit AU territory and kill off Della or something. Like "LOL this ain't your grampa's Perry Mason, it's a whole new ballgame, no plot armor here."

The new Star Trek broke me.

I agree this would be super disappointing but I don’t think there’s really any chance of it happening.

I hope her and Hazel are a bigger part of season 2, Hazel is always great. “The word means relevant.”

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I really hope Pete makes it.
Everyone is fantastic in this, but he's just quietly hilarious in pretty much every scene he's in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pete dealing with the mining company lady was pretty great.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

With Hicks and the church elder that Pete got a lead on as potential ~shocking deaths~ related to the ongoing investigation, I think Pete's chances of living have jumped up quite a bit. He does still have major detective and noir tropes working against him though.

I'll be very shocked if the next episode doesn't end with someone being killed, and I actually expect two deaths with one happening earlier in the episode to make us think that'll be the only one we see.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Am I the only one who thinks every day about Pete saying "quite a coinky-dink" ?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

algebra testes posted:

Am I the only one who thinks every day about Pete saying "quite a coinky-dink" ?

I know exactly what you mean!

In times of doubt, I sometimes quietly ask to myself, "What would Shea Whigham do?".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He has to work hard to overcome the douchebag police chief in fargo

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Does Shea play someone who isn’t a cop or former cop? Boardwalk, Fargo, joker, and now this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
somehow, True Detective is one of the only shows where he doesn’t. he’s a preacher

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Bird in a Blender posted:

Does Shea play someone who isn’t a cop or former cop? Boardwalk, Fargo, joker, and now this.

There was also that Julia Roberts series on Amazon Prime Video called Homecoming. He plays a pencil-pushing auditor for the DoD.

So even when he’s not a cop, he’s still basically a cop lol

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

I don’t remember if they mentioned his job in Vice Principals, but he didn’t seem very cop-like.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Bird in a Blender posted:

In True Detective, he's a revivalist preacher.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This show rocks.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rugikiki posted:

I don’t remember if they mentioned his job in Vice Principals, but he didn’t seem very cop-like.

Motorcycle racer

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Darko posted:

Motorcycle racer

Model stepdad?

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Rugikiki posted:

Model stepdad?

Super enthusiastic high-school football fan

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All this business with the elks just made me remember Lodge 49 was a thing and now I'm sadder than drunk Perry Mason

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, that was about how I figured the resurrection would go. We've got the whole picture of it now, it's just about proving it in court in a town that's full on looney tunes and after a big crazy spectacle. I hope Mason's closing features a table with his evidence heaped on it, and another with Emily's letters which are basically the prosecution's only physical evidence tying her to the kidnapping.

That was some dark poo poo in the opener, the scariest thing about that was the guy didn't even need to say anything overt and she knew what he meant.

Ennis being involved is the only thing that remotely kept these kidnapping idiots from being caught soon after and rolling on everyone. Going back to a hotel you've been to before is a stupid rear end move. What the hell was wrong with taking the kid to Gannon's house, or really anywhere that wasn't public? And you didn't have a plan to feed the kid? And if you did have a plan, it was to involve a random sex worker?

I was way off on my death predictions, and kudos to the show to have Ennis just tie up the obvious loose ends and not be so looped in on the conspiracy that he knew about the secret paid off former accountant who also secretly had the properly damning copies of the original financial records. It was nice to see this kind of "I've been waiting to tell the truth and expose poo poo" witness actually live and get to go on the stand for a change.

Also, RIP to Mason's ribs after this episode, goddamn.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Is it possible that they did kill some random baby and that is the real one? That this was something of a stunt done by the church to get more believers on their side and make Sister Alice popular and save her standing? Or is that street baby just a random one and Emily is so far gone that she'll believe it's actually Charlie?

But either way, I can't wait for Mason to get Ennis on the stand and tear him to shreds.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Codependent Poster posted:

Is it possible that they did kill some random baby and that is the real one? That this was something of a stunt done by the church to get more believers on their side and make Sister Alice popular and save her standing? Or is that street baby just a random one and Emily is so far gone that she'll believe it's actually Charlie?

But either way, I can't wait for Mason to get Ennis on the stand and tear him to shreds.

Nah, that's totally a random orphan baby from the orphanarium. What they did with the real baby's corpse on the other hand...

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Yeah the baby they killed is clearly Charlie, they just were the most incompetent, stupid kidnappers and accidentally killed the baby in one of the most horrible ways, goddamn, the revelation of why the baby suffocated made a knot in my stomach.

Agree with Nowon, it was really nice to see the previous accountant revealing everything, also really liked Perry's interrogation to the grandfather, he's clearly getting better at this, can't wait for him to break Ennis on the stand, to have the classic Perry Mason manouver of having the true culprit confess.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Ngl I thought Alice was gonna Liu Bei the baby

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
And so ADA Hamm Burger (I think that's his name) is also gay, and he and Della know each other's secrets. I wonder if that is one of the reasons that he was happy to help Perry pass his bar exam?

Sure, ambition for the boss's office is a decent reason, but in the process of helping Mason, Burger gave Mason some potential blackmail ammo for future use. That seemed like a plot hole to me. However, with Della being a close friend who Burger trusts with a secret about him that would totally ruin him were it to get out, his motivation seems to make a little more sense, plot-wise. At least, it does to me.

I'm not suggesting that Della blackmailed Burger, as that doesn't seem to be their relationship. And I don't think Burger is afraid that she will. This just explains why Burger was willing to do this huge of a favor for Della, who by all outward appearances should to him be just a random secretary for an opposing law firm.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
They’re just each other’s beards.
Great episode, pretty hosed up thing that Lupe did to Perry.

I have really loved this show, so glad it got picked up for another season!

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Holy poo poo, only four pages? I am absolutely loving this series. Everyone is putting in some grade-A performances all around and the writing is solid as Hell.

Edit: it got picked up for a second season? gently caress yeah!

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Have any of you ever seen the MST3K episodes Master Ninja and Master Ninja II? Turns out that's the same Tim van Patten. The movies are episodes from a show he was in with Lee van Cleef called The Master. I just find that eternally amusing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Have any of you ever seen the MST3K episodes Master Ninja and Master Ninja II? Turns out that's the same Tim van Patten. The movies are episodes from a show he was in with Lee van Cleef called The Master. I just find that eternally amusing.

Yup. He did a ton of work for HBO. The Sopranos, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I thought the show got off to a really slow start, and I was kind of annoyed with the church storyline. Glad things are finally coming together. Some good work all around. Wonder how things will look each season, assuming they'll stick with one major case a season, which is probably for the best. Gives time for things to get complex, and let the detective part be the majority of the show.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fantastic episode, can't wait for the finale. Mason sticking it to the DA was incredible. Are we sure the brothel baby wasn't the one from the beginning of the show, and Charlie's been alive this entire time? Because I thought that's what was made clear this episode. Maybe I missed something.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Maybe, but I think it's more likely that they accidentally killed Charlie and the resurrection stunt was all set up by Sister Alice's mom to make Alice seem like she can perform miracles. But it looks like Alice is tired of it all now.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Charlie's alive, the mom gets off, and Perry crucifies the co-conspirators in his closing for killing an innocent baby in order to perform a ridiculous stunt to raise money for the church and their land development.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Does Perry Mason ever NOT get someone off/win/whatever? Cuz if so, I have some bad news for Wolf Girl in this darker noir version of Perry Mason.

I think she still gets convicted even after Ellis gets completely exposed - because of some technicality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
so the gang kidnaps Charlie, and also obtains another baby somewhere because they figured they might need a spare I guess?

and they're too incompetent to keep a baby alive for a few days, but luckily that's their spare baby and Charlie is actually well hidden in a place not yet mentioned, being looked after by people not yet mentioned

and then when the spare baby dies they don't say "well good thing we got a spare then" and return the still-alive Charlie to the Dodsons, but instead give them the other dead baby, for reasons, and the Dodsons don't immediately say "hey that's not our baby"

and the whole church hierarchy is putting pressure on Sister Alice to stop talking about the resurrection, but it's all a double bluff because really they were planning a resurrection from the beginning

yeah that's gotta be it