Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
https://twitter.com/DexterFowler/status/1278420394009980929?s=19

St Louis pizza tastes like a Baseball?

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Spring Training 2: Electric Boogaloo

Spring Training 2:The Reckoning!

Also, looking at the pictures of the new stadium. It's.....too big?
Even though Tropicana is a shithole, every seat has a good view. And because it's always empty and has a roof, you can hear.......everything!
Truth is it's the most fun stadium to watch games in, if they did this.....
Market the game to tourists of the opposite team. Work with Airlines,Hotels and Bars to bring them down then cater to the OTHER teams fan base.

Become the Washington Generals of MLB.
Profit?
But then Covid happened! Strictly sarcasm for the humor challenged but that stadium is too big and since it's the newest one, probably the last one like that ever.
2020 man, 2020.....

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

iospace posted:

gently caress the DH

Came here to post gently caress the DH as well.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I can’t believe I ever liked this guy.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Intruder posted:

I think specifically to have a retractable roof

Also to shuffle money around.

This is a golden age for grifters but there is no grift like the publicly financed stadium grift.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

chilihead posted:

Even though Tropicana is a shithole, every seat has a good view. And because it's always empty and has a roof, you can hear.......everything!
Truth is it's the most fun stadium to watch games in, if they did this.....
Market the game to tourists of the opposite team. Work with Airlines, Hotels and Bars to bring them down then cater to the OTHER teams fan base.

Become the Washington Generals of MLB.
Profit?
This is a really good idea for the Rays. Kind of fits their M.O. too. We went to a game at the Trop on my wife's birthday last year to see the Orioles, and club level seats with enough roast beast trimmings to choke a horse and really rather more well whisky than is strictly recommended was like a hundred and twenty-five bucks each. We pay that for seats in the sun alone at Nats Park.

I have never in my life been prouder to type

the astros cheated in the world series and still lost

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

The hell is this?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Somebody talk me into being excited for baseball.

I don’t want to be a wet blanket here but I just can’t get enthused given the public health situation. Just seems really far fetched to me that it’s gonna happen at all or feel at all real without fans, and with the shortened season.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

GalacticAcid posted:

I don’t want to be a wet blanket here but I just can’t get enthused given the public health situation. Just seems really far fetched to me that it’s gonna happen at all or feel at all real without fans, and with the shortened season.

I think it's better than 50/50 that the season starts but doesn't finish.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GalacticAcid posted:

I don’t want to be a wet rag here but I just can’t get enthused given the public health situation. Just seems really far fetched to me that it’s gonna happen at all or feel at all real without fans, and with the shortened season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If the season starts... I dunno. I'm sure I'll watch "Opening Day" and see what happens. Right now I just... baseball makes me sad.

And I'm not a Cubs fan so that's not a draw.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm very ambivalent about this season. I'm gonna watch it and it'll probably be pretty fun cause it's gonna be full of dumb poo poo and 60 games means the Mariners are definitely gonna make the playoffs this year.

I just am not particularly attached to the results of this season. It'll be a fun cliff notes to think back upon. But I can't even get that worked up about the extra innings thing, like it just doesn't really matter.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

I also don’t believe the season is happening until there’s an actual pitch and I struggle with my desire to watch because I don’t think they should be playing. And while it’ll be strange for games to be in empty parks, this is a unique chance for the mics to pick up some excellent pro-level chatter.

E: Well, unless safety precautions prohibit poo poo talking.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 1, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The past seven years have already beaten my psyche into this weird state where regular season Dodgers baseball is just a kind of purgatory, waiting for the inevitable agony of a new postseason exit. The only respite from this was attending games in person, which is always a good time with friends.

I have zero faith that the league will make it to the postseason this year, and I definitely am not attending a game, so I can't get up for a few weeks or a month of regular season baseball.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day everyone! https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1145676459425574912

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 2, 2020

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Well that's a grievancing

https://sports.yahoo.com/rob-manfred-admits-mlb-never-intended-to-play-more-than-60-games-223213827.html

quote:

“The reality is we weren’t going to play more than 60 games no matter how the negotiations with the players went, or any other factor,” Manfred told Patrick. “I think this is the one thing we come back to every single day: we’re trying to manage something that has proven to be unpredictable and unmanageable. I know it hasn’t looked particularly pretty in spots, but having said that, if we can pull off this 60-game season, I think it was the best we were going to do for our fans given the course of the virus.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Pretend I posted oh my god he admit it dot gif because I'm not catching another 24 hours for ~meme provenance~

Anyway, I'm glad Rob Manfred is a massive idiot goober because we can definitively point to the owners being the ones who capped this at 60 games the entire time while trying to smear players in the media for months on end... and it almost worked!

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 2, 2020

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Should be some good ammo to get a look at the books.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

I think specifically to have a retractable roof

In fairness, it’s basically asking for trouble to play sports in an open stadium in Texas during summer and it’s only going to get worse in the years to come. It’s too bad their solution to this problem was to superglue MMP’s brick and glass elements to a loving CostCo though lmao.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
The Rangers had a better excuse for a new stadium than the Braves did, but at least the Braves didn't get a giant tool shed built.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Hahaaaaa good one Dex :haw:

I am cautiously pessimistic about baseball's 2020 return.

edit: also

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

dex how could you

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Can someone with photoshop skill put Bartolo Colon's face on this Simpsons meme:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ccubed posted:

Can someone with photoshop skill put Bartolo Colon's face on this Simpsons meme:

Bartolo is now a svelte boy I'll have you know

e: I think? Can't find it, but I think earlier in the offseason someone posted a gym photo of him looking skinny... well skinnier

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Even at his biggest weight, Bartolo was never remotely an unathletic tub of poo poo like, say, Bob Wickman.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I worked in a deli in college and Bob Wickman looked almost identical to a guy I worked with

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

Came here to post gently caress the DH as well.

Came here to agree with this guy. gently caress the DH.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

One of the things I am looking forward to this season are the confused emotions of NL fans as their DHs hit HRs and drive in runs.

Apr 7, 2003

Serious emotional post

Steve Blass retired from the broadcasting booth last year. A lot of Pirates fans poo poo on him but he is a genuinely wonderful human being and one of the nicest people I've ever met.

I'm seriously torn up that this is the first time in my life that he won't be in the broadcast booth.

Apr 7, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

One of the things I am looking forward to this season are the confused emotions of NL fans as their DHs hit HRs and drive in runs.

"One of the things I am looking forward to this season are the confused emotions of chess fans as the new rules ensure that the newly created chess pieces are checkmating the king and creating new hosed up situations."

Apr 7, 2003

The way DH fans sell this poo poo as a positive because the runs number will go up like never before is fuckin hilarious. Like they don't even understand the game.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's like a dozen reasons I can't process that metaphor.

But yeah, I guess that would amuse me too? I dunno.

Apr 7, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

There's like a dozen reasons I can't process that metaphor.

But yeah, I guess that would amuse me too? I dunno.

Rules are rules. A chess piece can score or not score according to the rules. Modifying the rules so more pieces can score more often does not make chess better.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That doesn't feel like the proper way to explain chess to someone at all.

Apr 7, 2003

DH fans have brain damage and can't understand that rules are what they are for a reason? You don't say?

Think about that time you got all the cheats to a video game and got bored of it and quit playing it way before you would have had you not had the cheat codes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not sure you wanna start tossing around ideas like "brain damage", my friend.

Apr 7, 2003

The point of the game isn't "more runs are always good no matter what", which is what you were arguing.

More runs *within the rules* are good.

The DH rule adds nothing to the game. It doesn't make the game better or more interesting.

Your argument in the original quoted post seems to be that NL fans will suddenly love the DH when their teams score more runs with the new idiot rear end in a top hat rule.

The game was fine without the idiot rear end in a top hat rule. More offense with it isn't an unqualified positive.

Apr 7, 2003

NL fans liked the game just fine the way it was. NL attendance has been higher than AL attendance for decades, because we liked the game the way it was.

Forcing the DH on us is not a positive. We will not be happy about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You make a very valid point. I made the false assumption that fans of teams would experience some degree of happiness when their teams scored runs.

That is a very odd and unsporting assumption to make. Forgive me for I am merely an idiot rear end in a top hat DH fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

You make a very valid point. I made the false assumption that fans of teams would experience some degree of happiness when their teams scored runs.

That is a very odd and unsporting assumption to make. Forgive me for I am merely an idiot rear end in a top hat DH fan.

Agreed

The game is the game, and there are rules.

Modifying the rules so the number goes up doesn't make the game better if the rule modification is completely arbitrary.