Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I decided to disown my team the Astros.

Cheating to win the World Series? Ok. I can forgive that. Yankees have done it I'm sure more than once and Yanks fans can sleep at night. Red Sox were being investigated for the same thing.

But deflecting? Refusing to accept responsibility? "Everyone did it?" The half rear end apologies? Manfred's "it's a piece of metal"? The "if everyone is going to hate us lets act like bad guys!! Yeah we cheated!"? The arrogance of the fanbase that decided it was better to act like the Astros did nothing wrong? When I tried to express my disappointment to other Astros fan I was met with a wall of cultist behavior that said if I were "real" fan I'd support them no matter what.

After cheering for them playing bad season after season for years when no one believed in them, suffering through endless "Lastros" talk and loving them despite that, and grow to become the team they are today, and win a World Series for our city just a few weeks after Hell came to visit, only for all of this to happen?

I've never needed baseball more than I've needed it now. Between the stress of Covid, the passing of my father, and more. It's just a bad year. And yet, despite that, as the weeks approach, I wasn't excited for baseball to come back. I ended up watching an Astros spring training vid from this year to try to hype myself up for the season and ended up actively rooting against the Astros. I dislike the players, I dislike the fans, I dislike the front office, and everything about them now. It's like I was blind but now I can see 20/20 and I loathe them. I realized that the only way I can continue watching baseball is if I disown the Astros. Astros or baseball. One had to go. I chose baseball.

I donated all of my Astros gear to charity. The rest I threw in the trash.

I know this sounds super whiny but I'm surrounded by a sea of Astros cultists and have had to bottle in my emotions for months. I have never in my life "broken up" with a sports team. I have rooted for the Rockets and the Astros;etc since I was a child. I'm far from a bandwagon fan. This is the first time I have ever changed teams. I don't know why I'm like this. It's a big rear end corporation that rakes in hundreds of millions of dollars and they won't miss my money yet this still hurts all the same.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Shinjobi posted:

The multitude of "real Astros fans" did not exist until they won the championship. I grew up in the area, i was a little kid who loving adored baseball, and my parents mostly thought I was just being a loveable dumb kid about me liking the Astros. Up until 2005, anyway. Then everyone and their dog had Astros fever and promptly got kicked in the dick in the World Series. This isn't to say there weren't Astros fans, mind you. There were plenty but I definitely remember more buzz for the Rockets at the time.

I honestly think I followed more Astros games when they were in their empty stadium phase of shittiness than most of my friends in Houston. Weren't they on the verge of losing a TV deal at the time due to awful ratings?

I started watching the Rangers more because I moved to DFW and at the time the possibility of an all Texas world series was still on the table, so I didn't think it was a huge problem. When the Stros came to the AL West I chose the Rangers and honestly I haven't regretted it. Thats not a backhanded jab at the Astros cheating at baseball, though. It's more that it would be hard for me to handle my childhood adoration of the team if I still followed them.

Anyway, as a fan you kinda have the luxury of the final say in who/what you root for. As a child I rooted for the Astros. As an adult I root for the Rangers. I have been miserable most of my life. Baseball is great.

I don't recall Houston being a baseball city before 2017. I have no complaints about that but still. We all know the Rangers up until recently was the de facto Texas MLB team.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Shinjobi posted:

To be fair, they weren't really until 2010?

Both teams were bridesmaids at best until the Astros finally brought it home. Even if they were cheating to do it.

Well, when I was a kid the Rangers had more shine than the Stros. Guess it depends on your age? Probably doesn't help my Little League team was the Rangers.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Whoa now, the Astros never enjoyed a Yankees-level popularity prior to 2017, but there was definitely a big fanbase during that mid 90s-to-early 00s Killer Bs run.

Killer B's era was popular. I'm talking about way before this. (I'm old, Nolan Ryan was still on the Rangers).

Shinjobi posted:

Mid to late 90s I still remember peeps riding the high of the Olajuwon Rockets. No denying the early to mid 00s up to that World Series appearance the team was on the rise, but I was in high school in 2005 and it went from no Astros gear seen aside from a hat here and there to Astros poo poo everywhere and nowhere was safe from rambling about the Killer Bs. Punks never tried to imitate Bagwell's stance like 8 year old me, though. Posers.

Same experience. I knew only a few people that talked about the Astros in the 90's and this was a time when Houston no longer had a football team. The Rockets have always been more popular in Houston.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 10, 2020

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

TMMadman posted:

Look if Cubs fans can live with the fact that our team winning the world series unleashed hell on earth, I'd think Astros fans could deal with their cheating team not admitting that they cheated or giving half assed apologies/excuses.

They need the title vacated, give back the trophy, and Manfred needs to resign.

But that's my opinion.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Poutine is loving delicious. I've had some down here in trasH-town and it was great.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

GalacticAcid posted:

It is quite simply time to embrace the Pittsburgh Pirates my friend. The act of rooting for them is itself a form of cosmic penance, a purifying gauntlet of suffering and defeat. Makes u strong.

They have a dope new logo but I've settled my heart on a certain cursed team.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Let's go Mets!

gently caress DH

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
One year since Tyler Skaggs no hitter game. Full game linked below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONGTjjR12_M

Angels are my new AL team. So fun to watch and I love so many of their players (Trout, Ohtani)

Team is all heart.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Growing up, I don't even recall seeing the Astros on tv much. After the Oilers left our household was a basketball household and basketball was the sport I grew up with. My friends and I would go to Astros games occasionally but I had no idea how to follow them.

I didn't become a baseball fan for real until college when I watched the anime Major. Then I started following the Astros. I loved that anime so much it made baseball my favorite sport. I still have a riveting passion for baseball manga and anime.

Speaking of Major, I've been watching Major 2nd season 2 finally after years of waiting.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Intruder posted:

They used to show a lot of Astros games on that Star network that most people didn't know existed, I think it was channel 52 or something over the air. It's been so long that I don't remember exactly though

Basketball was easy to watch because it was always on one of the major local networks. I want to say UPN?

Going to Astros games in the 90s SUCKED because the parking lot at the Astrodome was a nightmare to get in and out of and then you sit on Kirby for an hour. Basically the same experience as going to a Texans game now unless you use the light rail

My dad was a Giants fan so he didn't care about the Astros and clearly preferred basketball and football to baseball, so I didn't really grow up in a baseball household. Therefore I don't recall it being on UPN.

One of my biggest regrets is not playing baseball in Middle and High School.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Watching the 1984 all star game and roster is as stacked as a pile of bricks. So many hall of famers.

The game is in SF and the crowd is booing every single rival regardless of League. Booing the Dodgers for instance something fierce. No fucks given. Great crowd!

Fun ball game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

MerklesBoner posted:

OMG the all star game was played at Candlestick the year I was born and I never found out until now (Dad, you never told me)?! I gotta check this out!

Looking it up, Carl “The Meal Ticket” Hubbell threw out the 1st pitch—50 years from his ’34 all-star appearance when he struck out five HOFers in a row, including Ruth and Gerhig—and it was a screwball! :swoon:

Watch it here. Owns.

https://youtu.be/StJUwxjHf-w

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

habeasdorkus posted:

Really like RIckey and Bill Caudill standing out of order.

They're having so much fun out there. :unsmith:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

MerklesBoner posted:

This is rad. The lineups alone have got me so fired up. Hot drat, Huey Lewis and the News sang the SSB

One thing I love about old games like this: they don't show all sorts of displays like the baseball diamond, how many outs, strikes, or balls. It makes the game more sensory and forces you to pay more attention to it.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 14, 2020

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
So I want to get others into baseball and wanted to make a thread somewhere on SA for helping people appreciate and love it. Is this a bad idea? Where should I make such a thread? Here or GBS?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

H-town versus everyone. I truly wonder why. Did something happen in the past year to make everyone hate the Houston Astros? I must have missed it.

God I loving hate the Astros and their unrelenting disrespect towards the game of baseball.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 15, 2020

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Baseball is back!

Devils Avocado posted:

Yes, "Black Cotton" you have already made the entire internet aware of this. Good thing you cleared your conscience by jumping to franchises that:

A: Supply lethal amounts of opioids to their own players and and illegal substances to opposing ones.

B: Are about to be owned by Sheldon Anderson.

Edit: Here's a story about Altuve and Orbit reaching out to a teen fan with lymphoma https://abc13.com/make-a-wish-astros-surprise-foundation-make-a-wish-houston-lourdes-rodriguez/6318608/

Do you want to see if you can get in touch with the kid so you can lecture her for not having enough integrity to throw that cheatin' alien out of her hospital room?

LMAO

The desperation has me laughing out loud. Using an unsubstantiated rumor that was quickly debunked in a matter of hours as an argument against me is beyond cute. Also, as an Astros fan you have no real moral pedestal to stand on given the hiring of Osuna and poo poo bags like Yuri. That said, no one team is perfect, and I never claimed as such, but using a cancer patient to attempt to guilt trip me because I abhor the Astros is beyond disgusting.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 16, 2020

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

This owns.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Dee is a cutie. Hope he stays safe.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
More excuuses from the Lastros.

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1283590564915613701?s=20

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Beautiful. *chef kiss*

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Casnorf posted:

the astros cheated in the world series and still lost

The Nationals were tipped off by the Dodgers and Cora that the Astros will cheat to win the Series.

The Nationals, bless their hearts, came up with an extremely complicated number of signs that are hard to steal. Funny what happens when you can't win by stealing all of your information.

The Astros are a disgraceful team, truly.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Popete posted:

Whose the Alan Turing of the Nationals that deciphered the Enigma Machine trash can?

I'd like to read an expose' article on that.

STAC Goat posted:

The funniest thing about the Astros thing for me will always be Boone having that whistling meltdown earlier and basically calling out the open secret and the Astros laughing it off.

https://www.sny.tv/articles/sources-yankees-dugout-erupts-over-astros-alleged-sign-stealing

Imagine defending that team.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 16, 2020

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Kirios posted:

Being the heel of baseball loving owns bring it on losers.

The Astros cheated in the World Series and won.

Imagine bragging about this.

Stros lost in 2018 and 2019. Must not be very good cheaters.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 16, 2020

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

LMAO gently caress off A-Rod. I can't believe I've been supporting some of your ideas. Completely tone deaf.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Devils Avocado posted:

Debunked rumor? When was that brought up in the thread? I just got a Dodgers Nation link from a buddy and thought it was weird that there was more than one Houston grown disillusioned Astros fan who wrote like they were raised on mediocre Anime (no judgment there) felt the need to post their emotional screed on multiple corners of the internet because no one would listen to them IRL, and jumped to the Mets?! That’s a hell of a coincidence!

But anyway you root for whoever you want to and talk as much poo poo as you want. That’s (American) baseball. After all, no one is going to stop me from posting vids of Kershaw asking God why he isn’t good enough or speculating which shallow fly ball is going to be the end of Aaron Judge’s gangly career. Or even contemplating which is worse; banging a trash can to win the World Series or facilitating a young man choking to death on his own vomit? (Mike Trout is so fun!) But you seem to have your undies in a genuine bunch that every Houstonian hasn’t burned their jerseys and euthanized all the kittens named Springer. (And I think it’s a good time to point out that Houston fans have never beaten an opposing fan into a coma.). And I think you are just going to have to learn to live with disappointment. This is sports. the fact that most people here are ready to blow a CHUD like Bauer because he wears a pun-y T-shirt speaks volumes if you ask me, but I digress.

Now I wish we would just get rid Osuna, (because no other contender has a beater on the team) and I’m glad that douche Taubman (who I had never heard of) got fired. And I’m even glad Luhnow was sent packing (after we incorporated his trade secrets). But Yuli was raised in Communist Cuba and didn’t know it was culturally insensitive to make the slanty eyes gesture to pitchers with ERAs over 20 in the World Series. And he tipped his hat to Yu in Game 7 shortly before he was pulled!

In conclusion (I grow bored and distracted) I know that the regular Astros posters don’t want to alienate their forum buds. But the rest of us are united in that we don’t feel shame, we’re not sorry, flags fly forever, and you can all suck our collective throbbing Altuve.

To quote a famous American poet:

gently caress ya’ll, I’m from Texas.

Edit: Also we're gonna beat your asses this year.

Edit: Edit: If there is a year. Everyone stay safe.

My problem is less,"every Houstonian hasn’t burned their jerseys and euthanized all the kittens named Springer" and more "the Astros cheated and won the WS!" and "gently caress ya’ll, I’m from Texas" mentality.

I personally am disgusted by the players and the endless excuse making and defense control for the Astros is pathetic. Your post in particular reeks of Houstonian inferiority complex that is so central to that city's identity.

Literally you went from "you're just mad Astros fans aren't burning their jerseys and placing them in landfills next to ET" to full on ranting rear end in a top hat as if people have no reason to have a quarrel with the team. A dude earlier bragged the Astros are cheaters. No only do the Astros and their fans not accept responsibility - suspending all players involved for at least a year, something A-Rod got for taking PEDS - they continually root being the bad guy.

I tried to express my disgust with the team multiple times to Astros fans and was routinely hit with complete carney talk. I have been bottling this in for MONTHS. The Astros have RUINED BASEBALL, my home team, my perception of that team and I HATE them for making me almost drop baseball as a sport I want to watch and listen to because I love baseball. I'm sorry I have to express the extent of my disgust. Astros fans have shown a complete inability to have self reflection. They're as much victims of the Astros scandal as anyone - more so, actually - and yet aren't calling for their teams to get rid of the guys involved. It's BAFFLING. They tainted such an important memory of the city of Houston after weeks of adversity and tears. They have tainted the ONLY World Series the Astros ever won. They have tainted a city that was finally, after years of apathy, becoming a "baseball town." gently caress THEM.

It also isn't MY fault that the Dodgers Nation made a loving news post about it.

Also the anime I watch isn't mediocre.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 17, 2020

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Inspector_666 posted:

I keep thinking about the type of stuff that Spring Training coverage can learn from Summer Camp and it's half "Let more random people suit up" and half "Baseball fans will watch loving anything right after the offseason ends."

I watched a team scrimmage game earlier. I'm so loving starved for some ball that I'm pumped for an exhibition game between the Mets and the Yankees.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Devils Avocado posted:

Rebuttal:

Point 1: Houston no longer has an inferiority complex, please refer to the Texas politics thread in DnD

Point 2: I really appreciate the ET landfill reference. But players were not going to be suspended. The league had no actionable evidence to suspend players. They could have tried to do it just with the Fiers testimony/Jomboy tapes but the players union, to which the Astros players still belong, would have been bound to contest such a move and they would have won. I cannot imagine that Fiers, whatever his motivations, would have been excited to appear before a tribunal and testify against his fellow union members. In order to get testimony the Commissioner had to agree with the Union that the players would not face sanctions for their truthful statements. To renege on such an agreement just because the "Astros deserved it" would have created a huge labor problem which would infect every facet of negotiations going forward.

3. Ruined Baseball is strong language. Here is an article compiled by our shared hometown newspaper detailing confirmed and alleged baseball cheating (looking at you Boston Braves fans) going back to the founding of the game https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/slideshow/Cheating-history-every-Major-League-Baseball-team-200267.php.

4. So you admit you made that Reddit post! ha ha!

Houston does have an inferiority complex. It's embedded into the city's DNA. It's partially the reason they care so much about Dallas sports rivalry when Dallas could hardly give a gently caress.

They ruined baseball for me. They ruined a team that I loved. Their half hearted apologies, the lack of real repercussions, the arrogance. The fact they didn't apologize to the Dodgers despite cheating in the World Series. The fact they continued to cheat well into 2019. It's embarrassing. I know it isn't entirely fair to categorize baseball as completely clean. After all, baseball is the only sport where you can steal. But this involved the best Astros team ever fielded winning the first ever Astros World Series. I dislike the players so much now that I instinctively root against them, even before I ever decided to disown them. They have ruined a cherished memory. A memory that wasn't real to begin with. I don't expect every Astros fan to disown the team, but holy gently caress the excuses. The "yeah we cheated! Kiss our rear end!". Oh my God. :negative: The Astros nearly ruined baseball for me. And then Manfred called the championship just a piece of metal. Oh my God. :negative: Why continue to watch if there are no real repercussions? None of this is real, why bother? The Astros ruined baseball.

And I never denied it to begin with.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 17, 2020

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Devils Avocado posted:

Here is an article compiled by our shared hometown newspaper detailing confirmed and alleged baseball cheating (looking at you Boston Braves fans) going back to the founding of the game https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/slideshow/Cheating-history-every-Major-League-Baseball-team-200267.php.

"Everyone cheats" is the worst excuse Astros fans have in their arsenal.

It isn't that they cheated. Cheating happens. But in the examples listed in the article players are BANNED. Players are suspended. Suspending AJ Hinch and Luhnow counts as hardly a punishment. The players involved get to act all smug,"H-TOWN VERSUS EVERYONE" while they flaunt their cheating without reprisal.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Intruder posted:

If I buy you both PMs will you take this to them

And give Lowtax money?!

Let's just agree to disagree, Devil.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 17, 2020

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Sydin posted:

I hate the Astros for cheating as much as any other fanbase besides maybe the Dodgers, and I think you're taking this too personally. Even ignoring the cheating, it's impossible to take a moral stance in liking an MLB team because they are to a team owned by old, white, racist, sexist, transphobic, homophobic, classist fucks who don't care about anything besides their personal wealth going up, even if dozens/hundres/thousands/millions of people have to die to make it happen.

You cannot take an honest to god moral stance and also like professional baseball. It's just not feasible in our current environment.

Like gently caress, I and many others still root for the Cubs despite the ownership group being a bunch of billionaire Trump bootlickers who are spearheading his re-election campaign, which is way more detrimental to society as a whole than the Astros hitting a trashcan with a bat to cheat. Not to false-dichotomy, but honestly you either need to seriously temper your expectations or just give up on baseball entirely, because all 30 teams are bad, owned by bad people, or both.

This is reasonable. But it doesn't change how I feel about it. I know it's stupid.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

pigz posted:

Got to see some baseball yesterday and it was pretty werid. Watched a few batters of the CIN intrasquad game.

https://www.mlb.com/video/aristides-aquino-s-home-run

Got to see this and it was pretty cool, my favorite part is how long they lingered on the stands. Just found that so amusing.

The long audience shot has me loving dying.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
T-Mobile deal will be available on Tuesday and includes a free year of The Athletic.

quote:

Bellevue, Washington — July 17, 2020 — Baseball is back! On the heels of announcing the company’s latest Un-carrier move Scam Shield, T-Mobile (NASDAQ: TMUS) proved the Un-carrier won’t stop, unveiling an all-star lineup of T-Mobile Tuesdays offers available to customers including a free year-long subscription to MLB.TV (with the MLB App’s premium features — a $59.99 value), and a free 1-year subscription to The Athletic — a $59.99 value! And, since Sprint became a part of T-Mobile, this is the first time Sprint customers can get in on epic offers like these — and so much more — through T-Mobile Tuesdays.

“This season more than ever, we’re so happy to bring back free MLB.TV and give both T-Mobile and Sprint fans another way to connect to the game they love while they’re away from the park,” said Mike Sievert, CEO of T-Mobile. “MLB.TV is hands down one of our most popular T-Mobile Tuesdays offers — last year, our customers streamed over 17 MILLION hours of MLB.TV! We know you can’t get to a game this season, so we’re bringing the games to you!”

Android and iOS users can grab their free subscriptions to MLB.TV and The Athletic for two weeks, starting Tuesday, July 21 at 5 a.m. ET through Tuesday, August 4 at 4:59 a.m. ET. All customers have to do is head to T-Mobile Tuesdays for details on how to redeem.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/offers/free-mlbtv-theathletic

Sydin posted:

I was trying to say that you cannot say because you like [insert MLB team], you are are morally superior to others who like [insert other MLB team] because they're all owned by ghouls.

I didn't mean to imply that not liking the Astros post-scandal gives me moral superiority. Just that they've nearly ruined baseball for me. That said, you're right in that no team is perfect, which I've also admitted.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 17, 2020

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Intruder posted:

I already have The Athletic would it be silly of me to hope they'll tack a free year on?

It'll likely be concurrent but no harm in trying!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Can't wait for someone to foul a ball and it takes off a fan cutouts head

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What exhibition games tonight?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

blossommirage posted:

Pretty sure the Tigers are since I saw someone post a line up card with Tork on it.

Isn't that intrasquad? I'll still watch though.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

wide stance posted:

Man gently caress the fake crowd noise. We have once in a lifetime chance to hear the full sound of MLB action so let's god drat hear it.

They're just covering their asses so you don't hear the players say,"gently caress!" when they strike out.

Will also prevent stealing game plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Lmao

https://twitter.com/KaplanSportsBiz/status/1284301572051292160?s=19