Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Speaking of MLB.tv, anyone know if T-mobile is going to have their deal again? The page is still up and says:

https://www.t-mobile.com/mlb posted:

Baseball will be back. So will free MLB.TV

At T-Mobile, we love baseball as much as you do. And the second it’s back, we’ll be on deck with free MLB.TV for our customers.

I want to watch baseball this season, but there is no way I'm paying for MLB.tv to watch the 5 games that will actually be played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

This is interesting if you have an Athletic subscription:
https://theathletic.com/1905651/2020/07/02/prohibition-baseball-inside-the-biggest-all-star-game-no-one-watched/

If you don't the summary is that a bunch of big leaguers played secret baseball during the COVID shutdown at a high school in Florida.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I don't like the DH either, but I'm to lazy to try to convince people about how wrong they are.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I don't fill the sink with water when washing dishes...

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Why isn't anyone else?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Intruder posted:

Which doesn't protect him, god that makes me so upset that his teammates don't care

Good loving question

https://twitter.com/Phillies/status/1279093670256541697?s=19

Only cutch wearing a mask here too. Shameful.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

I understand why they wouldn't wear masks while doing physically strenuous activities outdoors in direct sunlight, really.

It's almost like they shouldn't do it if they can't do it safely then...

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Spoeank posted:

The motherfucking spiders baby

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Today I decided, at the age of 31, to pick up a baseball and learn how different pitches work--I haven't played baseball since I played teeball ~25 years ago.

I threw my todder's SUPER light ball at a brick wall while he played on the playground. It was fun and I'm gonna do the same thing tomorrow with a "real" (youth league) baseball tomorrow.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

RIP Slimy Hog's arm.

Yeah, I was really worried about getting hurt, but I don't think I'm throwing with enough power to actually hurt myself. Hopefully? Maybe this is a horrible idea and I should stop.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Thanks for assuaging my fears; I'm sure I'll be sore since I've never thrown a baseball like this before.

I'll ask my pcp about Tommy John next time I see him, gotta get that velo up.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

COVID leaves lasting lung problems right? So these players might have lung issues even after they get better?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Some people have longer-term effects but the prevalence of that is unknown

Man, I love baseball and I have no willpower so I will most likely watch when it comes back, but they really need to cancel the season.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

RIP Slimy Hog's arm.

LOL my whole body hurt when I woke up

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

LOL, we all got duped into thinking there would be baseball this season.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Popete posted:

Angels are a good AL team to follow. Lot's of talent and fun players, pitching is absolutely atrocious though.

The Angels are my AL team having spent my early childhood in Southern California, but unfortunately your description could also describe my Phillies.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Probably a stupid question, but are there still going to be TV blackouts this year?

Yeah and it's dumb as hell

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

A sports meltdown where only inanimate objects get hurt is fun. I love that the Orioles gave David Ortiz the infamous bullpen phone for a retirement gift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eoro-V97l0

(also, LOL, Papi, you stepped out too late and he didn't have to give you time.)

LOL
"I don't think that phone's gonna work any more"

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Casnorf posted:

the astros cheated in the world series and still lost

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Kirios posted:

Being the heel of baseball loving owns bring it on losers.

The Astros cheated in the World Series and won.

LOL imagine bragging that your team isn't good enough to win without cheating.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

:laffo:

One-time beneficiary of $252M contract now tells players it’s time to accept salary cap

gently caress off ARod.

Sounds like an owner already!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

euphronius posted:

I’m watching live baseball !!! :)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

So if the whole point of a five man rotation is to save your best arms from getting tired over a 7 month regular season, who's going to be the manager that pulls the trigger on a four-man rotation to get as many starts as possible out of their top players?

That sounds like a good way to either injure your starters (none of which seem ready to pitch 6+ innings) or tire out your bullpen.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

https://twitter.com/buster_espn/status/1286077965953110018?s=10

gently caress this poo poo

There's never going to be a good World Series again

16 team post season is asinine. If this becomes a thing after this year I'll stop watching baseball.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bewbies posted:

I can't possibly imagine caring about anything as much as this guy seems to care about arbitrary rules governing professional baseball competition

What? You do understand and the arbitrary rules are the literal definition of the game right? If I don't like the rules I'll stop watching the game.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bewbies posted:

sounds good man. I will enjoy watching additional playoff baseball while you pursue other activities I guess

Good one? You showed me or something.

Shiroc posted:

I'd oppose 16 teams in normal years because having more than half of the teams getting into the playoffs makes it feel much less meaningful when a team does get in. This year, gently caress it, who cares. 60 games is nearly a playoff anyway since there is only a tiny handful of teams that you couldn't imagine pulling together a Cinderella run over 80ish total games.

edit: The worst thing about this short season is that it makes it a lot less likely for Miggy being able to get to 500 home runs on his career.

Oh yeah, this season doesn't matter at all; gently caress it do weird stuff it's gonna be weird regardless.

My main gripe about extending the playoffs is that it cheapens both the post and regular season to the point where it stops really mattering to me.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

LOL what a disaster

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The Blue Jays don't know where they'll be playing TOMORROW. Great job MLB.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Let's be honest if baseball somehow completes this season I will be very very surprised. I can’t imagine I'm the only one thinking that.

TBH I think the owners are gonna fight kicking and screaming for there to be baseball.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Sydin posted:

Also there's no way MLB is going to have test results by this afternoon to see if those who practiced with Soto during the days he was positive but asymptomatic caught it from him. But they're still playing tonight so... what, all the Yankees players and staff just have to risk it? What the actual gently caress? How does MLB not realize that if even 2-3 Nats caught it from Soto and then they end up spreading it among their dugout and to Yankees players on the field, who then could spread it to people in their dugout, that it will immediately kill the season?

My theory is that they do know this, but also know it's inevitable so they need to play as many games as possible before they have no option but to cancel.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Johnny Bravo posted:

Guess he found out Fauci was throwing the first pitch

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bawfuls posted:

they are 100% going to do it again next year after declaring it a "huge success" this year

They'd have to get the OK from the players to do that though right?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Scherzer is all over the place tonight

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bawfuls posted:

the players gave the OK this year so what reason will they have to decide they aren't OK with it next year?

Hope

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

More like a double D park :imunfunny:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

How many Yankees do you think have COVID now?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Whenever anyone links a tweet and their commentary is negative I assume it's related to COVID and signals the end of the season. Yay 2020.

Here's the stupid joke I came in here to actually post:

Now that the Phillies have played 2 games at home with a DH I can say with authority: gently caress the DH

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

This made me look up who y'all were using as DH and it's been Jay Bruce and PHIL GOSSELIN?

Don't get me wrong: Phil Gosselin is killing it right now, but still gently caress the DH.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

How long until the Phillies start reporting their cases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Say the season ended today, who is are the two MVPs and who has the dumbest stats?