Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Please tell my wife this. The one time I asked her not to put knives into the sink it was like I insulted her mother.

My family taught me to wash dishes in the sink slowly and carefully, because there's knives in there. I never got hurt by a sink knife, and when my partner told me not to put knives in the sink it sounded like "you wash dishes too recklessly".

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, just Cubs that I can think of. I know someone was injured because they had their leg up on their coffee table for too long.

I stretched wrong while trying to scoop a throw at first base and dislocated my kneecap, which led to a pulmonary embolism, which led to two cardiac arrests.

At least it wasn't a sink knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Let's not forget that just last year, Yoenis Céspedes was attacked by a wild boar. :mets:

Funny rule change story: Players were furious in 1954 when the MLB banned leaving your glove at your position while not fielding. They were used to leaving it on the ground so they wouldn't have to visit the bench if they made the final out of an inning.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Without Trout, the season is not legitimate.
(In fact, baseball as we know it didn't exist before 2011.) I love watching guys like Trout keep adding to their counting stats, it won't be as fun without him.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gonna be real interesting to calculate the WAR impact of corona in a couple years, assuming there's enough never-infected players for a valid sample.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It's kinda fun that there's one team which doesn't allow facial hair, and it would be a lot more fun if the Mets or the Red Sox made beards mandatory. But I won't die on this hill and if the players don't like the rule, it should be scrapped.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's just no loving way we have an actual season under these conditions. No way.

I'm just wondering if we cancel before opening day, or if we end up with a week's worth of official games that go in the record books.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I never understand getting married more than like twice. After that point you would think people would just avoid it.

Once you've tasted those sweet tax benefits, living life unmarried just isn't the same

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Here's hoping this pushes MLB towards steps to include women in Baseball.

I truly think including women in the league as players will help usher a new era of the game.

I agree, I'd love to see this. We need to see more coaches encouraging girls in sports from a young age, and of all the sports baseball seems like the one where a woman could most likely enter the big leagues. There were four women in the Negro Major Leagues, and a couple women pitchers have played in the minors recently, a woman in the MLB would be awesome to watch.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mcmagic posted:

The last 5 years of the Betts contract probably won't be pretty. Small frame players don't age particularly well.

Slapdick players don't age well, but Betts has a good eye, above-average power, and he's smart, three skills that do age well. Small frame players get fewer injuries than big guys, they don't age well is if their only assets are speed and reflexes, but Mookie has five tools.

That said, I'd be surprised if he gets a Trout-sized contract, but good for him if he does.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

chamois posted:

Have one team start out as the "nomad" team, with like all grey uniforms then when they beat a team that team's home stadium becomes their home stadium, and they take over the entire team persona jersey's and all. The team they beat becomes the new nomad team and every game for them is an away game until they win.

Hell yes

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

more falafel please posted:

So I shouldn't bet on Xavier Edwards playing into his late 30s?

I looked up the top 20 players by slapdick+, and only one of them was an above-average player from age 30 to 34. Ichiro Suzuki

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

A good reference but Mookie ain't Babe Ruth.

Babe Ruth revolutionized the game by hitting a totally implausible number of homers, more than doubling the existing record. I'd love to see a modern player with some other absurd stat, like 200 stolen bases or batting .500 with constant bunt singles.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Reminder that after Mookie won the MVP award, the Red Sox fought against him in salary arbitration by saying that he's lazy and his teammates don't like him

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Shrecknet posted:

https://twitter.com/FOXSports/status/1286281346390740993?s=19

Creating digital mets fans seems unnecessarily cruel

"What is my purpose?"

"You cheer for the Mets."

"Oh my God" :mets:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Rangers last year would have made the playoffs under this new format with their 78-84 record.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

more falafel please posted:

He's probably going to lose his streak of "most war through age <whatever age mike trout is> to Ted Williams this year. Not that he can't make it up next year and everyone will realize it was hosed up but if you're rooting for baseball to be played you should be rooting for mike trout to put up like 5.2 war this year. He's done it before in a 60 game stretch, it's not impossible, it's just very very unlikely

Only three players are ahead of Trout for most WAR at the end of their age 28 season, and his season just started. Though Trout has a slight advantage because his August birthday means he'll be 29 years old at the end of his "age 28" season. He needs 1.4 WAR this season to pass Mantle, 3.6 to pass Hornsby, and 5.2 to pass Cobb.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Intruder posted:

Would 5.2 WAR over 60 games be the highest pace ever?

He's done it before. In 2018, Mike Trout had a 60-game stretch worth 5.3 WAR. He batted .356/.490/.727 with 19 home runs, with above-average fielding and baserunning.

Babe Ruth had a 60-game stretch in 1923 worth 7.3 WAR. He batted .459/.594/.855 with 18 home runs. His fielding was two standard deviations better than average, which was an unusual fluke for Ruth.

Barry Bonds had a 6.7 WAR stretch for the last 60 games of 2001, batting .391/.579/1.006 with 31 home runs. It's annoying to look at his game logs because I'll see a game with 4 PAs and a bunch of zeros, and think it was a bad day, then notice he had four walks.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

:hmbol: in July 1924, Babe Ruth batted .450 with 14 home runs, 40 RBI... and two sacrifice bunts. Imagine giving the bunt signal to a man who is demolishing the league like that. One of the bunts came with a runner on first and one out in the top of the first inning, one of the worst situations for a sac bunt.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

shadok posted:

One starting pitcher per game. Once that pitcher comes out of the game, opposing team hits off a tee.

I wonder what the tee's ERA would be. It's hard to hit home runs off a tee, so we might see some zany shifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

you broke my grill posted:

that's what it took to convince people to wear batting helmets

It was actually Joe Adcock getting hit in the helmet and walking it off at a time when helmets were optional. People who saw the fastball hit him in the temple thought he died, but he didn't even have to leave the game. There's not really any analogy for this situation, I hope they cancel the season very soon before someone dies or gets a lifelong disability.